mtbr member
    Sep 2007

why can't i decide on firebird size?

I am 5'11" and have demo'd a medium and large firebird. I like the firebird for both its climbing and descending. It seems more people go smaller but, what am I missing that I am leaning toward the large as I would prefer a short stem on a large vs long stem on a medium.

I know annoying question, not looking for a medium or large answer but, more of what should I consider in order to decide. Thanks for any advice. I tried searching the forums as I have been thinking about this for a while and read other posts but, hard to search mtbr now.

ZEN RIDER!
    I went back & forth between a medium & small for a month or so before deciding on the small. I guess my question to you would be what's you intended use & what is your riding style.
    Trail systems where I live are tight & twisty & technical so the smaller frame for me has its advantages.
    Life in every breath

jddist
    May 2008
    For what it is worth, I am just shy of 5.11 and had a large bird for about a year then sold it for something different. I recently had to borrow a friends med bird for a few weeks, due to mecahnical issues with my bike, and must say I liked the med better. Its not that the large ever felt too big or anything when I had it, it's just that the med felt more natural for that type of bike. Funny thing is that the med has a shorter stem than my large did and I have been doing more xc'ish riding on it than the total all mountain I was doing on my large.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the replies. The trails I frequent are a combination of twisty/flowy in some cases, jumps/drops and rock gardens in others. I do want to still be able to handle long climbs with a few steep pitches. I have never had such a hard time choosing between sizes before.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I rode a medium bike and it felt fine until I got my large FB. Now I hit my knees on the handlebars of the medium. I personally like the extra room in the cockpit, without a longer stem. I'm 6'1" though.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I thought for sure I would get a medium but when I demo'ed a large, it felt just right (I'm 5'11", 30" inseam). After getting the bike I realized that maybe the large felt right because it came with a non-offset seatpost and a shorter stem (60mm) than what I'd been used to, so the cockpit felt like it fit me even though I'd been riding medium frames up until then.

mtbr member

why can't i decide on firebird size?

I'm 5'11 with a 30" inseam. I ride a Large FB with a 50mm stem. I was able to test a med and a lg. I went lg for the room and it has not been an issue on tight twisty trails. I ride this as my one bike so it sees plenty of neighborhood road time with my son as well as time at Blackrock (Oregon). Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the helpful responses. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am 6'-1" with a 34" inseam and ride a size LG FB with an inline post and 40mm stem. I also have a size LG M5.7 with an inline post and 55m stem.
    I tend to ride the M5.7 on XC side of things and the FB for more technical terrain, but a fair bit of overlap between the 2.
    I find the fit of the M5.7 pretty good for what I use it for.
    I find the fit of the FB OK, but if anything, maybe it is a bit longer in the cockpit than what I'd prefer. I have never ridden a medium FB so I don't know if it would be a bit on the small side. I think my perfect size would be half way between medium and large.
    If I was a few inches shorter, I think I'd definitely go with a size medium.
    Very much personal preference, what type of riding you typically do, and what compromise you want between climbing and technical.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" and ride the XL. It's a very small XL so I'd say a large given the types of trails you mentioned. JMO.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    I am 5'11" and have demo'd a medium and large firebird. I like the firebird for both its climbing and descending. It seems more people go smaller but, what am I missing that I am leaning toward the large as I would prefer a short stem on a large vs long stem on a medium.

I know annoying question, not looking for a medium or large answer but, more of what should I consider in order to decide. Thanks for any advice. I tried searching the forums as I have been thinking about this for a while and read other posts but, hard to search mtbr now.
    I'm 5'11'' with a 34'' inseam and went with the large without any question. I made my decision based on the tt legth of 24'' which is what most of my recent bikes have been. In the attack position I'm right where I want to be.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Cannondale: Perp, SuperSix
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

Stucco Bucket
    No ones used the word "flickable" yet?
    thank god.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    No ones used the word "flickable" yet?
    thank god.
    You may not want to read the may issue of MBA then.
    "When we think of fun and flickable trail bikes, this will be the new benchmark"

They did a FB project bike. Pretty sweet. Got a great review. No surprise there.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" also. Currently own/ride a medium Firebird. Rides well but I am wishing I had the large frame with short 50mm stem. Been riding North Carolina mountain trails and the bike definitely shreds, decent climber on 30 min climbs, incredible descender, handles rough sections very well, however still would like a little more toptube/shorter stem combo. Its a tough call sometimes between sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for the replies. Pulled the trigger on a large bird last night. Shop called me this morning to ask if I wanted a 26 or 27.5. I'm sticking with the 26er. I couldn't believe they called, I have been thinking about this for over a year, the last thing I needed was another freaking choice.