mtbr member
    Jul 2004

What's the new Mach 4. Frame weight

Anyone know what the Mach 4 frame weight is

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    According to the pivot website the frame lost 5/8s of a pound this year. According to this review:

http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail...1785-0,00.html

last year's medium frame and shock weighs 6.1 pounds. So theoretically that gets us to 5.475 pounds this year. I'd like to see some real weights on a scale though.

The Cheater
    2.4kg for a size S without the bottom bracket for the new Mach 4 right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    2'600 kg for a size M without the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I should have saved money and purchased a 2009 or 2010 Mach 4 !!!! After months the wife's XS 2011 came in and the weight is 6.1 (frame /shock bottom bracket only). Bike looks nothing like website or articles advertizes except for paint job. According to the pivot website the frame lost 5/8s of a pound this year and X-small / XX-small frame has smaller diameter and lighter tubing optimizing frame weight. If that's true why is a XS 2011 6.1 pounds, same as M size from last year
    Last edited by marc taylor; 01-15-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Not just famous; infamous
    Quote Originally Posted by marc taylor
    I should have saved money and purchased a 2009 or 2010 Mach 4 !!!! After months the wife's XS 2011 came in and the weight is 6.1 (frame /shock bottom bracket only). Bike looks nothing like website or articles advertizes except for paint job. According to the pivot website the frame lost 5/8s of a pound this year and X-small / XX-small frame has smaller diameter and lighter tubing optimizing frame weight. If that's true why is a XS 2011 6.1 pounds, same as M size from last year
    Sounds disappointing, my 2008 medium Mach 5 weighs 6.75lbs. Are you sure it's a 2011? Does it have the tapered headtube (new for 2011 AFAIK)? Is it painted or anodized (paint adds a bit of weight)? If the weight's a huge concern, send it back. The 2010 M4s are on sale on Pivot's website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This is scary. My Mach 4 was has been on order and should be in this coming week. I can live with a little extra weight but would be disappointed that I paid extra for a lighter frame that is actually heavier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Sounds disappointing, my 2008 medium Mach 5 weighs 6.75lbs. Are you sure it's a 2011? Does it have the tapered headtube (new for 2011 AFAIK)? Is it painted or anodized (paint adds a bit of weight)? If the weight's a huge concern, send it back. The 2010 M4s are on sale on Pivot's website.

Yes it has the tapered head tube and a 2011 serial number. The main disappointment was the front triangle looks nothing like the new Mach 4 except for the tapered head tube. It has a much larger upper brace from the top tube to the seat post like the older model. Stand-over for my 61" wife is why I like the new lower top tube frame design, which this frame does not have. Pivot should change advertisement on the small bikes. They are very misleading by stating they use lighter tubing. If this is true, why is a new 2011 XS Mach 4 frame the same weight as my friends 2009 Med? That's probably why Pivot does not disclose frame weight.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Hello all,

Please see the note below from Chris Cocalis.

I just want to set the record straight regarding the weights of the Mach 4 as there is a lot of misinformation floating around. First, the Mach 4 frame did lose about 5/8ths of a pound from last year for the Small though XL frame sizes. Due to standard production variances with weld, anodize, etc. frame weights can vary slightly. Attached is a picture of a medium 2010 Mach 4 frame and a 2011 new Mach 4. Both frames are anodized. The old version weighs 6.26lbs and the new version weighs 5.68lbs (2.57kg). That is a .58lb weight difference between these two medium frames which is pretty close to 5/8ths. Also, last years large frame vs. 2011 is greater then a 5/8ths lb difference so the 5/8ths is an average.

As for the X-Small and XX-Small frames, these two sizes have the same tubeset as in 2010. They received the new rear triangle and BB forging updates to reduce weight, but they also received the new tapered headtube which increased weight. Also, these frames are really small to begin with so proportionately there is less weight to lose. The net frame weight savings on the smaller frames is about 1/4lb.

Painted vs. Anodize: Everyone knows that painted frames weigh more then anodized frames. Painted frames weigh about 1/4 lb more. The frames are wet painted with graphics and a clear powder coat. The weight difference is a small price to pay for such a beautiful paint job.

Next: The weight of a bottom brackets is not zero grams. Although it is not advised to remove your BB from the frame just so you can weigh it, it is also not an apples to apples comparison to weigh your frame with a BB installed and then claim it weighs the same or more then a frame without a BB. Those bearings, seals and housing have weights associated with them. Our BB92 press-in designs are lighter then a thread in BB, but it still should be considered.

Finally, frame integration for better component performance, frame stiffness and durability are all important aspects of the design. We have a great reputation for stiffness and ride performance that we even improved on with the new lighter designs. That said, the Small Mach 4 with XX shown in our brochure weighed under 22lbs. We are not claiming that we are the lightest, but we can confidently say that the combination of very competitive weights, incredible frame stiffness, pedaling and suspension performance simply cannot be matched by other bikes.

Sincerely,

Chris Cocalis | President/CEO, Pivot Cycles
    From Pivot
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good info, thanks.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Thanks for the explanation and photos. I wish every manufacturer would be as willing to put up a picture on the internet of their bike frames on a scale. I ride an XL Mach 5 I would like to know the true weight of my frame just so I could have a point of reference vs. other bikes in my size. I love my bike and I have to say even if the bike is slightly heavier, it sure doesn't ride that way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This thread really had me bummed, but I am glad to know that my large Mach 4 is going to be lighter than last years model. It's unfortunate that the smaller sizes couldn't reap the same benefits this year. I really appreciate the posts on this thread and response from Pivot.

I get my complete bike next week from Pivot and am very excited as I am sure my LBS is now that I will finally leave them alone.

Not just famous; infamous
    Hey Dan, do you know if those frames were weighed "out of the box", (with bottom bracket, etc. installed), or just frame-only? Not trying to be a PITA, just genuinely curious.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Hey Dan, do you know if those frames were weighed "out of the box", (with bottom bracket, etc. installed), or just frame-only? Not trying to be a PITA, just genuinely curious.
    Yes out of the box at random. Just grabbed the ones closest to the work bench that were the same size.
    You can see in the photo there is no collar, this frame has no BB as Chris points out in his comments above. It does have an RP23 as pictured. Many of our competitors do not weigh frames with shocks either. Plus we don't install the BB until the frame ships, as we don't know if I will ship SRAM or Shimano so for this thread we weighed a frame with shock only.

Call the office if you ever have questions. We are happy to help! 480-467-2920
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy