Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Stucco Bucket

Whats the Customer Service problem

Tried to order some parts today for my bird and got the hand in the face from "Aaron".
    Ive been trying to get parts and find out Enduro bearing info for a few weeks now. Everyone there has been really helpful until today. Called in today to finally order the parts and I get "what bike shop are you with?"
    My $20 worth of small parts is now going to cost $40 and take 4 weeks to come in going through my CRAPPY local dealer

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    The_owl,

Pivot exists because of our dealers, and our customers like you. We wouldn't be successful without both the support of our dealer, and fans like you of our product.

We aren't here to sell product to compete with our dealers, nor to complicate the purchasing process. If we sold items they would be sold at MSRP, so your price at the dealer should be the same.

Sorry for any confusion on this line.
    Daniel Limburg
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Stucco Bucket
    Whoever I spoke to on Monday was ready to sell me small parts. I just wasn't ready to buy. Politics aside, your dealer change here a few years back was one I can't support. Its frustrating to me to add more churn to a simple bolt and spacer purchase.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    Whoever I spoke to on Monday was ready to sell me small parts. I just wasn't ready to buy. Politics aside, your dealer change here a few years back was one I can't support. Its frustrating to me to add more churn to a simple bolt and spacer purchase.
    Support my dealer then. Call up Cycle Progression. Alex is good kinfolk.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Stucco Bucket
    It says a lot about a company when they are willing to spend 5 minutes getting a customer out on the trail. Rather than seeing it as a hassle and shifting the burden off to someone else.
    Thats why I continually support companies like IBIS and Canfield. Disappointed to say the least.

dog
    sit! stay!
    First, I think Pivot has great and over and above customer service... they have always exceeded my expectations along those lines... but...

in general this is an interesting topic... lots of bike and bike part companies (as well as a myriad of other companies and industries) roll this way... i think in dealing with the average consumer, it's a viable concept... it makes sense from sales (most folks don't want to drop $6K on something w/o seeing it) to dealing with service, warranties, etc.

but, what about folks who like to do their own wrenching and don't want the incoviniece and delay of having to go through a dealer? what if you don't like that dealer? there the OP has a really good point. I think Pivot customers who are willing to spend that kind of $$$ on a bike are probably in general, more experienced and don't need a local dealer for everything... or maybe at all
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I'm lucky. I like my dealer. I am loath to spend money in a shop I don't like but will if need be. How about Competitive Cyclist? Didn't see them on their site, but they seem like a good bunch of guys.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    To be fair I've dealt with Scott and they did the same thing even for warranty parts. I had to go through their dealers even though they could have shipped it to me directly. Its the price you pay for dealing with a higher end brand.

Stucco Bucket
    Higher end brand? I dont see how that works, but ok. Its enough of a bad experience to turn me off from buying another Pivot. Theres too many awesome bikes out there that bad experiences like this, as small as they may seem are enough to disenchant me. Especially adding the dealings with a bike shop I dont like.

Oh and the price didnt double. but almost. It went from $8 to $15 and thats before my sure-to-be-gouged shipping bill.

Ill ride my Pivot 'til it breaks, but I wont be back, and Ill always mention my experience when someone asks me how I like my pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    To be fair I've dealt with Scott and they did the same thing even for warranty parts. I had to go through their dealers even though they could have shipped it to me directly. Its the price you pay for dealing with a higher end brand.

mtbr member
    Cmon' really.. gonna really post up a *****fest because Pivot didn't gift wrap you a $20 part because you are too cheap or almighty to deal w a lowly local bike shop... cmon'... Pivot is following the industry standard... and why are you wasting a great dude like Aaron's time with such trivial ********....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Pivot has a dealer network to take care of small things like this. If they had every Pivot owner calling in ordering small $10 parts all the time they would spend all their time on tirivial minutiae. Kind of like missing the forrest through the trees.

If you don't like your local dealer click on their dealer locator and call a few that are close to you. I am sure one of them would have no problem ordering the parts and mailing them to you. One guy here even gave you the name of a shop and the guy there who could help.

I have to agree with schneidw - seems like you are making a mountain out of a molehill here. And saying you would never ride a Pivot again after this...get the part and go ride out the anger bro. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

All bike, all the time
    I too have had great luck with Pivot but will concede that Ibis and Canfield are tremendous. One thing I particularly like is Ibis responding right here on the Forums. Why more companies don't do it is beyond me. Seems like the easiest way around to do speedy CS and spread good will. I'm also concerned about a general deterioration in CS in the bike industry. Too many reps just don't seem to know their own products. But haven't noticed anything like that from Pivot and wouldn't say the above is the best example...
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer View Post
    I too have had great luck with Pivot but will concede that Ibis and Canfield are tremendous. One thing I particularly like is Ibis responding right here on the Forums. Why more companies don't do it is beyond me. Seems like the easiest way around to do speedy CS and spread good will. I'm also concerned about a general deterioration in CS in the bike industry. Too many reps just don't seem to know their own products. But haven't noticed anything like that from Pivot and wouldn't say the above is the best example...
    Bike Intel- Dan from Pivot did respond right away here on MTBR with an courteous reply that explained that Pivot is not setup to take individual orders... That is what is amazing, that small niche Pivot just released the sickest MTB on the planet, a 27.5-inch Firebird... small company is kicking the @sses of the deep pocket big corporate companies and doing it w style while keeping its grassroots pedigree... they just joined forces here with a local brewery to support a local riding team... killer. I think Chris learned a lot of lesson from his last years at Titus and is now rounding Pivot into form for the long run... Aaron/Dan are an important part of that organic growth..
    back to the original OP.. hope you get it now.. if not, have fun riding the Giant/Trek knockoff...ski ya

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw View Post
    Cmon' really.. gonna really post up a *****fest because Pivot didn't gift wrap you a $20 part because you are too cheap or almighty to deal w a lowly local bike shop... cmon'... Pivot is following the industry standard... and why are you wasting a great dude like Aaron's time with such trivial ********....
    Really? Did you miss what I typed? First I called and talked to Ken who spent the time to actually take a bushing out and measure it to see if it was 21.85 mm or 22.2 mm. He spent 20 minutes explaining bushings, bearings and replacement.
    Next I spoke to someone who determined what frame bearings I needed, which bolts, and was ready to take my order. I wanted to follow up on Enduro options for my bearings or I would have ordered.
    You can sack ride schneidw, I understand. But one persons perception of Customer Service reflects on the whole company. Why even answer the phone? Just have a series of prompts and voicemail boxes.
    cmanser, my options for ordering parts from anywhere other that my one dealers requires double shipping or driving 100 miles.

Sorry, I sweat the small stuff. Id actually be riding the anger out this weekend if Aaron had said " yea let me get you that bolt bro"

EDIT: for those that dont understand. If youre going to have a company policy regarding phone orders, make sure everyone is adhering.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Really? Did you miss what I typed? First I called and talked to Ken who spent the time to actually take a bushing out and measure it to see if it was 21.85 mm or 22.2 mm. He spent 20 minutes explaining bushings, bearings and replacement.
    Next I spoke to someone who determined what frame bearings I needed, which bolts, and was ready to take my order.
    I wanted to follow up on Enduro options for my bearings or I would have ordered.
    You can sack ride schneidw, I understand. But one persons perception of Customer Service reflects on the whole company. Why even answer the phone? Just have a series of prompts and voicemail boxes.
    cmanser, my options for ordering parts from anywhere other that my one dealers requires double shipping or driving 100 miles.

Sorry, I sweat the small stuff. Id actually be riding the anger out this weekend if Aaron had said " yea let me get you that bolt bro"

EDIT: for those that dont understand. If youre going to have a company policy regarding phone orders, make sure everyone is adhering.
    I find it interesting that you and others consider the time spent by someone clearly helping you out NOT customer service, inconsequential and their time valueless and then feeling entitled to receive a pro deal to save a few dollars on the correct hardware they spent the time to determine for you.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 05-03-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Added sig
    SlideWright Outdoor Gear Tools & Wares
    Bike * Ski * Snowboard * Camp & more

Stucco Bucket
    I dont want a pro deal. And I never said I didnt consider that customer service. In fact I pointed out the opposite. Of how polarizing my experience was from my prior two calls

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    (Note I added signature above.)

It sounds like you are whining and trashing a company's good name and reputation over a minor 1st World inconvenience and a few dollars....especially after they have spent tons of time and their resources trying to help you.

Coming from experience, fasteners, hardware, small parts, etc have a much larger time and real 'overhead' than their nominal cost to the consumer.

Stucco Bucket
    Yep Im whining. WTF else would this thread be about?
    Its churn. They still have to talk to someone on the phone, confirm what the parts are, then ship them to a store, which is more complicated than selling me the parts right there. The parts order from the bike shop took 4 phone calls.
    Ill repeat, since lynch mob forum users rarely read actual posts: If youre going to have a phone order policy, please have all your employees in compliance, not just some.

mtbr member

Pivot Dealers

Yep Im whining. WTF else would this thread be about?
    Its churn. They still have to talk to someone on the phone, confirm what the parts are, then ship them to a store, which is more complicated than selling me the parts right there. The parts order from the bike shop took 4 phone calls.
    Ill repeat, since lynch mob forum users rarely read actual posts: If youre going to have a phone order policy, please have all your employees in compliance, not just some.

Despite the personal attack by Owl on Aaron, bad attitude towards Dan, and then juvenile name calling to me... I must say that Owl has raised a valid issue (in a harsh negative manner) with respect to Pivot in that my experiences with their select Pivot Dealers here in NM has been less than satisfying... I do plead that Pivot revisit their dealer strategy, at least here in NM if they institute a policy of no direct sales to customers.... I would prefer to see the dealers business philosophy more aligned with Pivot's which has not been my experience... with that stated, my online dealings with Pivot dealer has been stellar..

PS. Owl bummer you won't be riding this weekend because of a bolt... maybe time to build up an inexpensive hardtail eh?

Stucco Bucket
    I didnt call anyone names. I dont have a bad attitude towards Dan. I simply didnt like his canned boilerplate response.

I dont think my "manner" was harsh or negative. I didnt curse, call names or bash bike stores. My point is valid.

I have other really nice bikes I can ride. that isnt the point, though.

mtbr member
    whatever... based on the universal response to your posts, it appears you have no point, other than gripe.. time for me to move on... btw, sack rider isn't name calling eh? priceless

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I've got to say I'm all for saving a buck or two. In fact I can credit myself with single handedly changing the customer service policies of several online retailers here. But there comes a point in life where companies (bike companies in particular) need to support their local retailer. Without them they have no lifeline to the customers. If you're worried about saving a buck or two why not look on ebay or find the parts you need somewhere else rather than going to the manufacturer directly? From my experience it's cheaper to go through bike shops than through the manufacturer because they are OBLIGATED to sell their stuff at retail price or higher in order not to undercut their dealers. Dealers on the other hand are allowed to cut discounts to their customers to help grow a healthy relationship....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This is too funny of a coincidence not to share. I went to a LBS to check out bikes and low and behold there was a Pivot trailer and a rep right there:

Whats the Customer Service problem-img_0299.jpg

He was very helpful showing me the Pivot options and discussing what options might work for me. The Firebird 27.5 is a sweet looking ride as are the Mach5.7, etc

Whats the Customer Service problem-img_0300.jpg

I mentioned this thread and your whining, Owl. He said they work really hard at customer relations and service. Your problem with them may be valid, your approach was not, IMO.

Hopefully, the next little ripple in the road you encounter can be met with a little more tolerance and class. Save it for the big stuff that really matters....like not getting two limes in your margarita....now that's a crisis!

change is good
    Sep 2004

Whats the Customer Service problem

On the grand scheme of things paying twenty five bucks to a business you don't like is small potatoes. Just sell the $&?/! bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The parts order from the bike shop took 4 phone calls.
    Why not make it 5? Call 'em up and cancel the order.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast