mtbr member

what will become of the Mach 5.7 ??

Will it be replaced with a shorter travel 27.5 bike ?
    Every time I buy a bike (I currently ride a Mach 5), the model gets discontinued for something better. I find it somewhat frustrating. I was hoping to transfer a bunch of parts (including fork and wheels) to a new M5.7 carbon next year, but now I'm thinking in a year 26ers will be obsolete and basically worthless to re-sell. I would like to stay with Pivot as I really like my M5 but dont have the money for a $8K Mach 6 upgrade.

mtbr member
    The current version of the Mach 6 will get updated soon enough. It's called progress. I love my Mach 5.7c but will be looking at a Mach 6 iteration in a couple of years. Unless they're mint I don't anticipate my carbon bike frames to have much resale value anyway. As for upgrading if your parts are good you just need frame, rims and a wheel rebuild and fork. If I were to do it tomorrow need to spend about $4K in frame and parts and hope to get $1500 or so for the Mach 5.7c frame. I don't see 26 ers going away but if pivot can't sell Mach 5.7s down the road because the Mach 6 is taking away the sales then who knows. They're a business after all. When you look at turner you see the 5 Spot going away because of the 27.5 burner and flux......

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hopfully it will get 29r wheels..145mm of DW goodness, Ill take one
    Mach5.729

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat View Post
    Every time I buy a bike (I currently ride a Mach 5), the model gets discontinued for something better. I find it somewhat frustrating. I was hoping to transfer a bunch of parts (including fork and wheels) to a new M5.7 carbon next year, but now I'm thinking in a year 26ers will be obsolete and basically worthless to re-sell. I would like to stay with Pivot as I really like my M5 but dont have the money for a $8K Mach 6 upgrade.
    I'm pretty much in your position, I have the first series of Mach 5 and still exactly what I want in a bike. I need to look at a new bike simply due to the age of the Mach 5, ridden off road at least 3 times a week for the last 5 years and is my CC race bike as well with a different wheelset. Need at least 5 inches of travel as it is rocky and twisty where I live. Unfortunately a 5.7C was the way I wanted to go too but if it is another 5 years before my next bike I would prefer something that won't be obsolete in 3 years. I'm keeping the Mach 5 as it is still a great bike and I will still use it.

Pivot don't make what I want now so I have a choice of Santa Cruz 5010,Santa Cruz Bronson or Norco Sight, all in Carbon just need to ride them first. I like the small bump compliance of the Pivot so I have heard the Norco may be the way to go for this. The Santa Cruz are great climbing bikes which is also something I want. The Santa Cruz can also be bought as framesets, something the Norco can't in Australia and until I ride them all I can't decide. I also want to go a little lighter than the Mach 5 which is part of the reason for a Carbon frame and also the ride if the Carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I too have a M5 and loved it. I ended up getting the AL version of 5.7 and it is awesome.

Then this year I got my LBS to put 650s on my M5 with a Nobby Nic in the back. It is tight so don't ride in slop but I let the air out of the shock and it is fine. Slightly diff but not that big a deal. Try a friend's 27.5 and see if it fits and save some dough.

The 5.7 slack angles make a big difference from the M5 so you might want to give that a whirl and keep the M5 with 650s.

Just an idea.

mtbr member
    thanks for the replies. interesting on the M5 650. I don't know I think if I was going to go 650 I would buy a 650 designed bike like the M6. But its just a little too much bike for me. Maybe the answer is to upgrade to a M5.7 frame, keep my parts, and buy a used 429 when people start dumping them for the 650's. I ride on the east coast, lots of tech trails, and a lot of the people I ride with LOVE their 29ers
    a new M5.7 frame and a used 429 will still be cheaper than a new M6 !

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm on east coast too and ride technical trails on my 26" just fine. Yeah people love their 29rs but they also aren't as nibble.

There is not much diff from 26 to 650 in geometry so I wouldn't worry about getting a 650 designed frame. But a used 429 and/or 5.7 would work too.

The M5 is great but it feels so XC after you ride the 5.7. You would be happy on a 5.7 they feel really comfortable and fast.

I think you can get 650s in a 5.7 but you have to shorten the travel on the shock which maybe more hassle than its worth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Demo'd a m6 and didn't see much difference in the wheel sizes. The m6 had more bouncy plushness to it but I bet it was just the way it was set-up as I bottomed it out several times.
    In short its not gonna make me get rid of my 5.7

dog
    sit! stay!
    I have a 26er firebird and an M4X... I recently demoed a M6 and a M5.7c back to back. I did have them set up properly since I brought my own shock pump ...

anyway, all wheel size hooey aside, I liked the M6 better. i did not like it better than my firebird, because I prefer the style of bike geometry-wise that the firebird is. Which sort of gets to where I am headed here: since there are different folks who prefer the advantages/riding styles each of the three wheel sizes has to offer, why would any one size go away? as long as there is demand, someone will supply... At least I hope that's true
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rather than drop the 5.7c. Develop the geometry as a different niche.

Lower BB 1/2"
    Lengthen TT/reach by 1.5"
    Add ISCG mounts
    Revise the linkage to have the Full floater like Firebird.

People will come.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat View Post
    I will be shocked if they spend the time/$$ to update a 26er. I think the best hope for 26ers is that they just keep producing the better selling models with minor tweaks until the 27.5 madness dies down and companies see what the steady state sales of 26ers is.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

what will become of the Mach 5.7 ??

I'd bet Pivot is watching very closely to what Turner is doing this year. They dropped their 5Spot, a longstanding flagship 26" bike. The 27.5 Burner replaced it and their XC Flux is now 27.5". I'm lucky my FB will take 27.5 wheels and my parts will all transfer over to whatever frame comes next.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Manufacturers marketed the dead of 26''. The question is when. I own a 5.7 and i'm happy with it in our tight singletracks. Resale value for 26'' is low due to 27.5 hype.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoroqc View Post
    Manufacturers marketed the dead of 26''. The question is when. I own a 5.7 and i'm happy with it in our tight singletracks. Resale value for 26'' is low due to 27.5 hype.
    There are several brands that have all, but killed their 26er models and I am sure others will follow.

I think the best bet for 26ers is the convertible models like Ibis and Banshee are offering that you can configure either as a 26er or 27.5.

The problem with keeping 26ers isn't that they don't work well for some folks it's just expensive to keep similar models in the line up and a pain for the dealers. The convertible models get around that nicely.

Re-sale on a 26er isn't going to suck for sure. I've got one I'll try and sell in 2014. May have to keep it as my backup bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

650b me
    I don't know if 26" will die off completely, but I see it losing more and more market share in the next few years. I just sold a pair of Mavic 26" rims on eBay. I was mildly surprised that they sold, given current trends/hype. I still love my Mach 4 and have no plans to replace it soon. Mostly due to lack of $ as well as waiting for Pivot to come out with a 120mm travel 27.5 bike. When the time comes, I'll probably give my beloved Mach 4 to my wife, making adjustments to the cockpit to fit her. I like the idea of keeping it in the family. And I doubt I could sell it for a price that would satisfy me, especially as time goes by and 27.5 becomes bigger and bigger.