Bike Addiction

What size Mach 5

I am 170 lbs 5' 7.5" tall and was wondering which size Mach 5 or 5.7. I'm currently riding a Medium Titus RX and a Speci FSR XC Medium with short stems. Both bike shops said I was on the edge but pointed to the medium, but that is what they had on the floor at the time. Was wanting some opinions of guys close to my size. I have found a couple of posts by Zorg and he rides a small Motolite. Anybody want to chime in with height and frame size for a Mach 5?
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am just shy of 5' 10" and ride a Mach 5 medium. I would def. Suggest you go with a small.

Severum

Bike Addiction
    I have a chance to ride a medium this weekend. Definitly gonna try it but the owner mentioned a small for me too. Think he is about 5'10. We don't have a dealer here in Alabama. The nearest one is about 200 miles and doesn't have a small on the floor. Thanks.

Not just famous; infamous
    I'm about 5' 10" and ride a medium with an 80mm stem. Unless you have long arms, I would suggest the small. Having owned both a Racer X (2001) and a Mach 5, I think the fit on both bikes are very similar and always think of my M5 as a long-legged Racer X. If you wish your Racer X was a bit smaller, go for the small Mach 5.

mtbr member
    I'm a pretty similar build to you, maybe an inch (or less) shorter and same weight.

I ride a small M5 and really could not imagine the medium working for me. The small was definitely the correct size -- I rode them both before buying.

With that said, it could depend on your proportions...if you have really long arms and legs you might be able to go medium.

Bike Addiction
    My arms are about 25in. from tip to pit or about 5' 6" spread from tip to tip. Not knuckle draggin but I believe a little long. I'm going to give the med a ride for a while this weekend unless it rains or something happens. I've always wondered if the X was to big. But I'm comfortable on it with a 70mm stem. But again I never got to ride a small.

My other ride is your mom
    I'm 5'7".......I'm on a medium M5....wish I had a small.....I have always felt pretty stretched out and have never felt completely comfortable dropping behind the seat....tough lesson to learn, but I still love the bike.....I'd just get a small if I could have a do over......so anyone want to trade an 09 small frame for a medium????

Bike Addiction
    After reading some responses on this and other forum I think I may spend some money and go cross state or cross country to ride both sizes. I think I want to demo b/c riding around the parking lot just don't cut it. I rode my RX around the lot and it felt great but about 2 hrs on the trail and I started noticing things. I got an OTB feeling I wasn't expecting. Took me a while experimenting with stems,bars and seat positions to feel comfy. Thanks guys

I am Doctor Remulak
    I'm 5'7" and I just built a small Mach 5.7 with a 90mm stem that fits me perfectly. I can't imagine riding a medium.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

Bike Addiction
    @Maad Going behind the seat on the RX seems ok but my shorts get caught coming back. Doesn't matter whether I'm in baggies or lycra, still catch my shorts alot. It got scary a couple of times. Seldom happens on the FSR XC but thats diff geo as you know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sable00, did you buy a bike frame? I'm just curious and waiting to hear where you rode the demos and what your thoughts are.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" without shoes, 32" inseam, on a Mach 5 medium with a 100mm zero rise stem. I recommend you go medium as well.

Bike Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacharoo
    Sable00, did you buy a bike frame? I'm just curious and waiting to hear where you rode the demos and what your thoughts are.
    No,my bike sale fell through so back to saving. I do think I'm going Pivot next time though.Have not demoed any yet. The bike shops are couple of hundred miles away. The medium I was going to borrow fell through too. But only temporarily, he was out of town that weekend unexpectedly. Expect to try it soon. He also owns a 429 but I don.t think I want a big wheel. I'm really jonesing for a 5.7. Hopefully by next summer