Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?

167K views 477 replies 165 participants last post by  Paulsmith55 
#1 · (Edited)
I was in the garage wrenching on my Mach 429 this morning.

Things done today:
*Added Crankskins to the crankset
*Installed new rear brake pads
*Cleaned up the drivetrain
*Reinstalled my rebuilt Eggbeater 2ti pedals

Ready to tear it up tomorrow!!! :)

#10 ·
I put big ol' 2.5's on my bird for Burke Bike park for the nambla i mean nemba fest last weekend. Need to get rid of granny gear & grab a single ring set up before Burke bike & brew :)
Here's some vid my buddy "Krangg" did. Hopefully when another buddy comes back from his 3 week bike trip out west he'll have the bird flyin. Sadly no one filmed my epic fwo on Knight Slayer on the 2nd to last table.

6-22-12 Burke on Vimeo
6-23-12 Burke on Vimeo

#11 ·
I put a new set of EThirteen TCS wheels on my FB. Only one ride but man these wheels are loud, stiff and gorgeous (that's what she said). I'm also experimenting with a 25 degree stem versus current flat stem, raising the bars from level with the saddle to about 1-1/2" higher than the saddle. This after a brief ride on a different bike with older hi-rise bars that felt a bit more relaxed and playful than the lower front end on the 'Bird. Riding the VP Components Enduro in Cali this weekend.

#16 ·
- Had RP23 serviced, shock lost 10mm of length due damper side problem,
- Installed X-Fusion Velvet RL fork. First impressions are good
- Spent hours getting rid of the noise from Reverb and seat tube, noise which occurs when pedaling out of saddle still not solved.

Nice thread, it is nice to see what parts are upgraded in Pivot world...

#17 ·
My 2009 Mach 4:

Built up tubeless wheels over the winter with King hubs and Crest rims. Currently running a 2.25 Ardent up front and a 2.1 Ignitor in the rear. The tubeless setup is a great, supple enhancement to the feel of the bike.

I also replaced my Fox 100 with a Fox 120 to slacken the head angle a bit. I think it's around 69 degrees now. The front is a bit lighter on the climbs, but it's a worthwhile trade-off for the increased confidence while descending.

#20 ·
What I have done with my Pivot is....... open the shipping box and remove the frame, a 32 Float 150 FIT CTD fork, a Float CTD shock, crank, Pivot headset etc.

Before the weekend I hope the Mach 5.7 c is ready to ride.

Attachments

#28 ·
What I have done with my Pivot is....... open the shipping box and remove the frame, a 32 Float 150 FIT CTD fork, a Float CTD shock, crank, Pivot headset etc.
Does the Pivot headset come with the frame? The reason I ask is because I have a large 5.7c on order and should be arriving in a week or two. If not, where did you get it?

#23 ·
Stripped it down and shipped it back an hour ago, sigh.

Sadly I disassembled my 5.7C and sent it back to Competitive Cyclist. The medium just didn't fit me perfectly. The reach was too small in Medium and the Large way too long. Stems ranged from 70mm to 90mm with bars from 680 to 740mm. I had to go closer to 90mm for it to feel good, and that's just way too long for my all-mountain and trail needs. The 5.7C is awesome in every aspect, but I knew when I sat on a few other medium and large frames from other manufacturers which were set up with 50 or 70mm stems and wider bars and they felt so much better that it was time to take CC up on their 60 day no questions asked return policy.
Huge Pivot fan. Huge DW Link fan. Carbon is it. But no sense owning an expensive great frame like the 5.7C if I know the ergonomics could be better.

Hopefully getting a 429C if they make one or a 650b short travel FS.

#25 · (Edited)
Well...let's see...

Last year I bought the 2011 Mach 5.7 X9 kit for a great price at a local shop, but there were some things I didn't like, so I ended up doing a lot over time. Some things were changed out with parts I had from a previous bike. Some parts were bought new.

Stock stem was ridiculously long and bar was stupid narrow. I had them replace the stem with a 75mm Truvative Stylo T40 at the shop before I bought it. I believe they put the widest comparable bar they could on it at the shop, but it was still too narrow.

I installed my Deity Dirty 30 handlebar and Lizard Skins Peaty lock-on grips. I've gone through several iterations of thick and thin grips before deciding that I really like a thin minimalistic grip for max control.

Replaced brake rotors with 203mm front/180mm rear Shimano ones with the aluminum spiders.

I took the Fox Float 32 150 RL fork to PUSH to be tuned for my weight and riding style and upgrade it to an RLC (fork dive on ledges and braking was scary before the upgrade). The fork didn't quite match up with the rear suspension at first, but now it rides great.

Added Specialized Command Post Blacklite dropper post.

I wanted to go tubeless so I put my Sun Ringle Charger Pros on the bike and changed the tires to a Bontrager XR4 TLR front and Specialized Purgatory rear.

The original 26-39 2x10 gearing was too high on the low end for the steep, long Colorado front range climbs (especially with bad knees) and they didn't have adapters to change the gearing yet because of the new BCD. I also wanted a bash guard. I ended up going with a 3x10 X9 crankset and installing an e13 turbocharger bash in place of the big ring.

Well with the change in gearing and 10 speed incompatibilities due to throw distances/chainring differences, I had to change out to a 3x10 front shifter and a new front derailleur when I changed the gearing.

I decided that 30 inches of bar width was just a bit too big for me for everyday trail riding. Put the Dirty 30s on the FR bike and got a Race Face Atlas AM in 28.5 inches which has been perfect.

I replaced the stock brake levers on the Elixir CRs with Straitline ones. They are so comfortable and look awesome! Pricey, but worth it.

Realized the stock cassette chewed completely through my wheel's freehub, so I did 2 things. Charger Pros had some issues with spokes loosening and disappearing so decided I didn't trust them. They will get new freehub and transferred to another bike (they only make aluminum freehubs for this wheelset though, lame). I had the DT 340 hubs clipped out of the stock wheelset and built into Stan's Flows by a local wheelbuilder. I bought a new 10 speed Shimano XT cassette with carrier to decrease wear on hub.

When tires started wearing out, I replaced both with the new style Bontrager XR4 Team Issue TLRs in 2.35 front and 2.2 rear.

Put on Bionicon C guide. Love this thing so far.

Oh hey, they have chainring adapters for the 120 BCD cranks now! I'm also getting stronger (and 22/36 low gear was just stupid), so decided to switch the old crankset that I never got around to selling to the new 24-38 with integrated bashring. The 3x10 with e13 bash went to my 29er hardtail as an upgrade where the lower gearing made more sense.

I put the old front shifter and front derailleur back on.

Well since I have a bigger ring again and my chain was worn out anyway, it was time to get a new chain.

Next upgrade will be a SRAM X9 Type 2 rear derailleur with the clutch (preferably when they have them in white to match the rest of my components and replace the current white one that came with the white frame). They do apparently make them in the other colors, but I've only seen grey for sale so far.
X9 TYPE 2 Rear Derailleur | SRAM

#26 ·
Built the 429 for the second time. First build was largely parts moved over from my Stumpjumper. The front was way too high and it quickly became apparent that it wasn’t as capable. Both the result of me underestimating just how much difference some geometry measurements would make compared to other bikes I’d ridden.

So the Stumpjumper went back together while it was worked out what I wanted to do with the 429. After a long time with it as an ornament, plans were made for a more XC biased build. Finally built, it seems close to how I want it but a few minutes isn’t enough ride time. A shorter stem with a more negative angle might get things bang on. Build consists of a black XL frame, Tower Pro forks, Charger Pro wheels and 1x9 gears.

I can’t tell you how close this came to not happening. This year’s weather has had me seriously considering getting a road bike. My general dissatisfaction with the imperfections of rear suspension bikes nearly had me getting a hardtail. But the clear frontrunner was a Brompton as I could really do with one for transportation.

#31 ·
Lets see......

Replaced seals on Fox shock
Replaced bearings in DW-link and carbon rocker
Upgraded rear shock DU bushings to needle bearings
Changed front chain ring to 37t from 34t (1x9)

On the way:
2012 Rockshox Reba RLT 120mm
- this will upgrade my front hub from 9mm to 15mm
ZTR Crest rims (changing from ZTR Flow)

#32 ·
Hmmm...upgrades n rebuild.
After 3yrs of no problems and a couple of thousand miles on my Mach 4, I had the shocks rebuilt at mellow Johnny's, replaced post, stem, bars, seat, spacers to light weight color matched and carbon parts. New pads and new brake fluid. Stan's arch ex wheelset and maxxis ikons. New chain, gears n cassette. Wow did this thing change into a whole new rocket! :)

#34 ·
Not actually done to my Pivot but sure planning to:

Change to new Shadow+ Rear Ds , XT or SLX that coincides with DRD Direct mount standard. So I wanted to find out if anyone knows if I can get a DRD Link from Pivot if I have 2012 Mach 5.7 carbon. I believe the 2013 bikes come standard with the link for Shimano kits

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.