Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40er View Post
    joezuri, good stuff...I just stop all business today so I can get this moving. How did you set up your rear derailleur to click for all 11 cogs?
    It's still a 10speed. You need to tune it as usual, only adjust the b tension for correct jockey wheel spacing to the cog. Shifting have been flawlessso far. I do not eeven have to change to a longer b tension screw. Using a Sram medium cage x9 rear d

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks joezuri. I finally got to the instructions at thenwebsite.

I got way too excited thinking of 1x11 without spending $1000. Still a very good option. Twice a year I go to a series of trails that have some serious climbing, and although I'm very happy with my 1x10 w a 36t on the back. I have to make a quick conversion to a 2x crank that I have for that place only. Long brutal climbs. However, with this I can go ahead and buy and install the chain ring, which as I understand has the similar tooth profile of the xx1 assuming no chain drop, and install the 42t on the back when I go to the mountains. Well who knows i may just leave it.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I swapped out a reba for a fox both 120 the fox seems to have better small bump compliance and now I can run the tires that rubbed on the reba. Didn't know when I got it they olny handle 2.25ish tires. Resealed my shock way easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have heard from many people that the Roxshock advantage was the small bump compliance, perhaps not specifically the Reba. I know I had a Reba, on another bike and could never get it dialed riight. FOX RLC all you need to do is put air and be done.

Just curious what Model Pivot you have?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 40er View Post
    I have heard from many people that the Roxshock advantage was the small bump compliance, perhaps not specifically the Reba. I know I had a Reba, on another bike and could never get it dialed riight. FOX RLC all you need to do is put air and be done.

Just curious what Model Pivot you have?
    Mach 4

mtbr member
    Wolftooth

74 & 29 pilot
    HAAA, I used that same setup with my X0 crank and WT ring ^^^^^^ on my Carbine 29.

I just added the 42t OneUp to my 1x10 drive train on my LES. Very simple and easy to set up. Works well and I didn't have to change chain length. I would have gone with the WTC 42t or Hope 40t, but bought this for the introductory price when it first came out. I now have little more long steep climbing ability with my 34t/ 11-42 drivetrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-img_5379.jpg  

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-img_5378.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Big Test Icycles

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?

Wolf Tooth 42t GC added to the 1x set up on my FB. Maiden voyage today at Black Rock, Or. Easy installation and it shifts perfectly. The 30t up front is perfect for the 3mile climb to the top. I'm continually blown away at just how versatile the FB is. Mine started out as a 35lb light DH set up and now sits at 30lbs for more Endure riding and racing. The 1x set up is perfect for the Bird.

mtbr member

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1396794115.332284.jpg

Ergon GS1 grips
    Hans Dampf front, Racing Ralph Back tubeless
    Garmin Edge 805 gps
    KS Lev Seat Dropper post
    Adamo Peak saddle (highly recommended - this is the way bike saddles should be)

Bike currently weighs 26 lbs.

Have Light Bicycle rims on order - will build wheel set with DTSWISS 240 hubs.

Rider: 215 lbs, 6 feet
    Frame size: Medium
    Tire pressure: 25 f / 30 b
    Shock settings: Front 90 psi @ 8 clicks; Back 180 psi @ 9 clicks.
    Ride mostly: East and North county San Diego trails (XC / trail)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^ Nice! What rims are you using for the wheel set being built?

I had my '09 alloy Mach 429 down to 25.76 lbs with Stans Crest wheels and S-Works tires at one time but I have since beefed it up for riding in AZ (I'm from So Cal) since I go there fairly often these days. It now weighs nearly 27.5 lbs with Stans Arch EXs, beefier Spesh tires, beefier stem and handlebars.

650b me
    Noticed a new creak while riding my '09 Mach 4 the last 2 days. Like most people, I like a quiet bike. I'm taking a methodical approach to eliminating the creak. Tonight I disassembled the saddle clamp on my Easton EC70 seatpost, wiped everything down, greased the bolts and put it back together. Did the same for the seatpost clamp. Lastly, put a thin film of carbon paste on the post itself.

Exciting? No...but it's what you do when you love and cherish a bike, and I do!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    ^ Nice! What rims are you using for the wheel set being built?

I had my '09 alloy Mach 429 down to 25.76 lbs with Stans Crest wheels and S-Works tires at one time but I have since beefed it up for riding in AZ (I'm from So Cal) since I go there fairly often these days. It now weighs nearly 27.5 lbs with Stans Arch EXs, beefier Spesh tires, beefier stem and handlebars.
    I am having the Light Bicycle (that is the name of the company - massive thread on this forum for their solution to affordable carbon rims) hookless 29'er AM rims built. Changed my mind and am going with 350 hubs - cost of 240s not worth the marginal weight savings). Rims have been shipped and should arrive any day.

Also considering changing stem (currently 100mm FSA) out to an Answer Rove 70 mm and swapping the FSA 740 mm stock bars for Answer pro taper 720mm. The 740s just feel too wide for me as my arms feel too far from my body.

My biggest complaint about the Pivot is for me in technical turning sections the bike feels a tad squirrely and I also feel to far forward over the front axle. Hoping that shorter stem will but me behind the front axle more and the narrow bars will also push me back a bit from the headset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Race face next cranks
    point one podium 2 pedals
    new xt shifter
    xt cassette
    40t wolftooth GC (shifts clean, dropped the 11t)
    Weighs a little under 33lbs

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-img_20140501_172334_318.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Put on a new rear rim, trued and taped it, and installed some high roller II's. Sealed up with stans and the new tires worked awesome in Sedona last weekend!
    Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon XT/XTR Pro build
    Fox 34 Talas CTD Fork, Lev dropper, SPDs

Proud Thunderchicken ownr

Re-threaded the rocker bolts on the Firebird

One side fully stripped out.
    Fully disassembled frame, strapped it into a lathe, leveled from every possible angle, drilled clean through on both sides, tapped, heli-coiled.
    Finger's crossed.

Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Put on Easton carbon Haven wheels, converted to 1x11 with a Next SL crankset. Added a DOSS dropper post.

mtbr member

Added Light Bicycle rims and replaced stock FSA 90mm stem with 70mm stem.What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399386978.845831.jpgWhat have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399386989.830077.jpgWhat have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399387000.481234.jpg

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    Wolf Tooth 42t GC added to the 1x set up on my FB. Maiden voyage today at Black Rock, Or. Easy installation and it shifts perfectly. The 30t up front is perfect for the 3mile climb to the top. I'm continually blown away at just how versatile the FB is. Mine started out as a 35lb light DH set up and now sits at 30lbs for more Endure riding and racing. The 1x set up is perfect for the Bird.

HT, did you remove the the floating thing that carries the front derailleur and that spring? I am doing the same conversation to my FB this week and I have been wondering about that.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Broke my xt derailer again! This time it ate the cassette and chain.
    So now I have a saint shadow shorty with x10ti chain and a 34xt cass

mtbr member
    Gave it a bath and put a new Pike on!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ^^^ how's the pike!
    When my fox craps out again going for a pike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    ^^^ how's the pike!
    When my fox craps out again going for a pike!
    Just had a quick run on it but it seems like a big upgrade from the Fox 32 Float RL that I had. The biggest difference I noticed is that I don't have to muscle the front end around, really looking forward to getting it dialed in tomorow

74 & 29 pilot
    Finally got the chance to really test out the the 1x10 34t/11-42 with the one-up 42t ring and finally put some carbon wheels(Havens from 429) on her. I was using the DT Swiss XR1501s that came with my 429c, but my 200lbs azz and a super stiff rear on the LES was leaving tire marks on the inside of the chain stays. Little heavier, but but solid and make the bike ride better. The 11-42 cassette set-up works great and gives me plenty of granny for longer climbs!!

MTBP

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    that's at the top of Brown's looking south right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by seandm View Post
    that's at the top of Brown's looking south right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Yes sir.
    MTBP

Long Live the Gorn!
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Added Light Bicycle rims and replaced stock FSA 90mm stem with 70mm stem.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399386978.845831.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	891233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399386989.830077.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	891234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399387000.481234.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	891237
    How you liking the rims so far... and issues?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I recently mounted my skinny wheel set back on for local fire road rides since that is all I've had time for lately. I had to mount a set of new Storm SL rotors to that wheel set before it was ready to go, as well as adding some new juice inside the tires since they'd been sitting around for quite a spell.

The heavies are going back on for the upcoming trail ride this weekend, though.

Some time this Summer I will be rebuilding my drive train. New XTR M970 (11-34) cassette, new KMC SL9X chain, New 26 & 38 tooth XTR chain rings, new cables & housings, and a new XTR M972 Shadow RD. I'm looking for a brand new XTR M970 right shifter but they are all but extinct now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    RaceFace Next cranks added yesterday. Weight is at 27.6lbs

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-wp_20140530_18_21_19_pro%5B1%5D.jpg
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    UPDATE:

I couldn't stand the instability of the skinnies on dirt so I put the trail tire/rim combo back on, lol!

It would appear that I have become accustomed to the feel of pushing the bike harder with wider more aggressively treaded tires.

mtbr member
    It would appear that I have become accustomed to the feel of pushing the bike harder with wider more aggressively treaded tires.
    +1 - I have the same problem. My solution was a lightweight wider wheelset with wider tires that were on the lighter end of the spectrum. That way I don't give up much either way.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedraceratl View Post
    RaceFace Next cranks added yesterday. Weight is at 27.6lbs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140530_18_21_19_Pro[1].jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	897586
    Man those look good

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Fresh Legs

Nox Composite AM 29 Wheels with I9 Torch Classic Hubs. Wide, stiff, and fast engagement.What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-429c-014.jpgWhat have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-wheels-177.jpg

74 & 29 pilot
    I finally converted the 429 to a 1x drive train with Wolftooth 42t cassette cog and 32t ring. After riding my LES and Carbine 29 as 1x, I just got sick of listening to the noise of the 2x and beside I rarely use the 26t ring in front. NO MORE FDs for me!!! Took almost a pound off the bike, now sitting at 27lbs 13oz!

MTBP

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^How much clearance is there between the chain stay and the chain ring? Looks real close.

74 & 29 pilot
    ^How much clearance is there between the chain stay and the chain ring? Looks real close.
    There is plenty of clearance, even for a 34t ring.

MTBP

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, I see now. Lots of clearance.

Did you simply attach the chain ring to the big ring position on the crank? Or is there some sort of spacer used? How's the chain line when on the low gear (big/big) of the cassette?

I'm asking because I have the same crank set (set up 2 ring) and the chain line is terrible when I'm in the big ring on the crank and on cassette.

My frame is an '09 Mach 429.

74 & 29 pilot
    Yeah, used the same bolts and attached to the 104BCD(big ring) part of the crank. The chain line is great, pretty neutral until the 11t and 42t; Even then it's not bad and will only be used a small percent of the time.

Well the 429 and 429c are quite different, so I don't know how well it would work on your bike. That seems odd that the chain line is so bad on a 2x specific crank. On my LES, I had a 3x XTR crank that I used for my 1x set up with a Wolftooth 34t ring. I mounted the ring on the inside of the big ring positions and had to use spacers between the crank and ring due to the chain line being pretty bad. All good now though.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Yeah, used the same bolts and attached to the 104BCD(big ring) part of the crank. The chain line is great, pretty neutral until the 11t and 42t; Even then it's not bad and will only be used a small percent of the time.

Well the 429 and 429c are quite different, so I don't know how well it would work on your bike. That seems odd that the chain line is so bad on a 2x specific crank. On my LES, I had a 3x XTR crank that I used for my 1x set up with a Wolftooth 34t ring. I mounted the ring on the inside of the big ring positions and had to use spacers between the crank and ring due to the chain line being pretty bad. All good now though.
    If I were to use spacers to position a single ring (mounted in the 104BCD position) in between where the two chain rings are now, the chain line would be good. I am just a bit concerned about how close the single ring would be to the chain stay. As it is now, the 26 tooth small ring on my 2X crank is pretty darn close to the chain stay. A 32 tooth ring is exactly what I would want to use if I were to go in that direction.

EDIT: Ooops! It's the big ring (38 tooth) that is uber close to the chain stay, so a 32 tooth would easily work in that position even if I used some spacers to bring it in a wee bit closer to the frame for a mid positioned chain line.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I swapped out my Fox Float 120mm for a Rock Shox SID XX 100MM today. I have come to the conclusion that for the Michigan woods the 100mm is a better fit for me. The 120 feels floppy. The 100mm is nice and XC fast. Handling has improved and I dropped 7oz.
    She weighs in at 24 lbs 2 oz. There is nothing weak or flimsy on this build. It's pretty burly for 24 lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    SRAM rep came by and outfitted me with some new Guide brakes. So far these things are SICK!!!!!What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-wp_20140614_15_31_16_pro%5B1%5D.jpg
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Upgraded hubs to Hadley! Love my new hubs!
    2013 Pivot Mach 5.7 Custom Build
    2014 Salsa Mukluk 2 Custom Build
    2014 Foes FXR275 Custom Build in process....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I replaced a derailleur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^ Ohhh, that looks bad! Were you able to salvage the chain?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ^ Ohhh, that looks bad! Were you able to salvage the chain?
    Nope. Replaced that too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Nope. Replaced that too.
    Did you hit something to cause that damage?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Did you hit something to cause that damage?
    Climb. Shift. BOOM!

Wide open trail. Definitely didn't hit anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Climb. Shift. BOOM!

Wide open trail. Definitely didn't hit anything.
    Yes, I can see how that could happen although that doesn't make it OK. Whenever I shift while the drive train is under pressure (climbing), I back off for a micro-second. It tends to smooth things out and take the stress off the drive train during a shift in this situation.

Dual Squishy...
    Latest thing I have done was to build it up and ride it!!

5.7c, Medium
    Fox CTD Kashima
    Pike RCT3 Solo Air 150mm
    XO Cranks
    Wolftooth direct mount 32T Chain Ring
    Time ATAC Carbon pedals
    XO Type 2 Medium RD
    XO Shifter
    1070 cassette with the 11T removed and a Wolftooth 42T installed
    KMC Chain
    Thomson 90mm stem (Plan to swap out for a 70mm)
    ENVE Bars
    ESI Grips
    XTR Trail Brakes, 180/160 f/r
    Specialized Command Post Black Lite (Thomson Masterpiece pictured)
    Specialized Phenom SL Saddle
    I9 Torch Wheelset, 15mm front, 142x12 rear
    Trail King 2.4 tubeless up front
    Purgatory 2.35 tubeless out back
    Bar Fly 2 mount for Garmin

27.00 lbs. exact (weighed with Command Post)

I love this bike!! I'll get better pics soon...

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-image.jpgWhat have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-image-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I rode my Mach 6. After being off the bike for nearly 8 weeks with a broken arm, I call that quite an accomplishment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I rode my Mach 6. After being off the bike for nearly 8 weeks with a broken arm, I call that quite an accomplishment.
    Glad to hear it!