Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Built the 429 for the second time. First build was largely parts moved over from my Stumpjumper. The front was way too high and it quickly became apparent that it wasn’t as capable. Both the result of me underestimating just how much difference some geometry measurements would make compared to other bikes I’d ridden.

So the Stumpjumper went back together while it was worked out what I wanted to do with the 429. After a long time with it as an ornament, plans were made for a more XC biased build. Finally built, it seems close to how I want it but a few minutes isn’t enough ride time. A shorter stem with a more negative angle might get things bang on. Build consists of a black XL frame, Tower Pro forks, Charger Pro wheels and 1x9 gears.

I can’t tell you how close this came to not happening. This year’s weather has had me seriously considering getting a road bike. My general dissatisfaction with the imperfections of rear suspension bikes nearly had me getting a hardtail. But the clear frontrunner was a Brompton as I could really do with one for transportation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    F)(%!
    Reversed the car into something with bike on hitch-rack... Rear triangle cracked and this is the first day on my cycling holiday. Completely my fault, no one else to blame.. S)¤#! C=¤%#!
    Last edited by markom; 07-15-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: kelsey & tori

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the last biker View Post
    What I have done with my Pivot is....... open the shipping box and remove the frame, a 32 Float 150 FIT CTD fork, a Float CTD shock, crank, Pivot headset etc.
    Does the Pivot headset come with the frame? The reason I ask is because I have a large 5.7c on order and should be arriving in a week or two. If not, where did you get it?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Does the Pivot headset come with the frame? The reason I ask is because I have a large 5.7c on order and should be arriving in a week or two. If not, where did you get it?
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the last biker View Post
    PM sent.
    Alright, thanks for the information. I've got a few parts to pick up before I can ride but it should be fun.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Lets see......

Replaced seals on Fox shock
    Replaced bearings in DW-link and carbon rocker
    Upgraded rear shock DU bushings to needle bearings
    Changed front chain ring to 37t from 34t (1x9)

On the way:
    2012 Rockshox Reba RLT 120mm
    - this will upgrade my front hub from 9mm to 15mm
    ZTR Crest rims (changing from ZTR Flow)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hmmm...upgrades n rebuild.
    After 3yrs of no problems and a couple of thousand miles on my Mach 4, I had the shocks rebuilt at mellow Johnny's, replaced post, stem, bars, seat, spacers to light weight color matched and carbon parts. New pads and new brake fluid. Stan's arch ex wheelset and maxxis ikons. New chain, gears n cassette. Wow did this thing change into a whole new rocket!

Gangreen
    Aug 2008
    I just read an editorial in Dirt Rag about refreshing an existing bike to renew the excitement. Sounds like you did just that! Nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not actually done to my Pivot but sure planning to:

Change to new Shadow+ Rear Ds , XT or SLX that coincides with DRD Direct mount standard. So I wanted to find out if anyone knows if I can get a DRD Link from Pivot if I have 2012 Mach 5.7 carbon. I believe the 2013 bikes come standard with the link for Shimano kits

Thanks!

Pivotal figure

Good job! Monsterized it!

Kinda. Not sure if I like the Monster Energy tag or good ole Gravedigger Stripped the front and had it painted Kawasaki green. Added a new DHXAir and a mix of decals. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-bird4b.jpg  

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-bird4.jpg  

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-bird4a.jpg  

Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Kinda. Not sure if I like the Monster Energy tag or good ole Gravedigger Stripped the front and had it painted Kawasaki green. Added a new DHXAir and a mix of decals. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
    I wasn't a fan of bright green bikes until now. That looks fantastic!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Ken - that's nice. Thinking of getting the Mach 5 stripped and painted black. I like black

Dropped off Sharon's Mach 5.7 at North Shore Billet so they could make template derailleur hangers

Did the same for the Mach 5 and Firebird too
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The green looks really good, Kind of gives it a 'playful' look for lack of a better word. Would have been curious to see the rear in green as well.

Pivotal figure
    Full green looks very much like the Carbon 429...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i hope that doesn't effect your warranty

Pivotal figure
    Oh I'm not worried, I know a guy that can hook me up

Pivotal figure

Accessorizing

Added a nice new SDG Duster saddle and some blue Oury grips to round things out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-sdg1.jpg  

official eMpTyBRain
    New XT cassette today, 11-32 gearing. I just couldn't see spending more than twice the price for an XTR cassette again and saving only 35 grams for the added cost...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Finally got everything together, and put all of these on today Change my 5.7C to 1x10, with the help of a E-Thirteen 35t Ring, Csixx HD Mount XC Guide, Bionicon C-Guide v2, KMC XSL 10Sp Chain (Ltd Ed Black & Gold), SRAM Type 2 and a 36t XT Cassette

Didn't end up putting the new pedals on - will save those for the Gravity days along with the stubby stem & riser bar combo I have for that.

The test will be tomorrow once I get a chance to ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-img_5913.jpg  

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-img_5957.jpg  

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-img_5968.jpg  

What have you done to your Pivot Cycle lately?-img_5946.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    On my 5.7
    - Swap the Stem from Thomson X4 70 to 50mm.
    - Broken spoke on the Tricon M1700 !! replace the stupid Dt Swiss with Chris King/Mavic 819.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    AL 5.7:
    - tightened linkage and shock bolts again, after replacing the bearings they have required tightening twice. Re-assembly done with torque wrench and recommended thread lock.
    - bled Reverb after breaking the hose in workstand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry to thread hi-jack, but I'm a newbie here and one needs five posts before starting a new thread. Here's my question, which kind of fits in this thread as it's something I might do with my Pivot (lately):

I'm thinking of buying a 5.7 AL XT build and it comes with DT Swiss 350 / 430 wheelset. It's not tubeless ready nor like a Tricon (like used in the better builds like XTR ) where the rim has no spoke holes.

Should I go with this wheelset? Or should I try to get a credit and swap at purchase, or sell the wheels new ($200-250 value?) and use the money and an additional $200-300 more to get something better - and what would you recommend (that's it, my budget only allows that much more to spend)?

The requirement is a 12x142 rear without quick release, and the market isn't full of those at deep discounts.

I am 5'8", mostly XC or trail riding in the Park City area. Thx

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Your best bet will probably be to try and swap the wheelset at purchase. It's generally the best way to go in Australia and most LBS's here give a good deal on swaps like that.

Talk to your LBS and see what their thoughts are on the matter.

650b me
    I'd probably just stick with that wheelset. I've heard bad things about the Tricons when it comes to truing and/or replacing spokes. Not that your budget would allow for Tricons. I'm running 350 hubs laced to Pacenti rims on my B-bike and I have no complaints.

official eMpTyBRain
    I'm due for new brake pads AGAIN! These big wheels coupled with the steep terrain around my area kill the pads darn fast. Also, I got a new chain, KMCX9SL.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast