mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What is the biggest XX1 chainring that will fit a 429C?

Anybody know?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Why?
    The better question might be "How big of a chain ring do I need to pedal home without spinning to death?" My answer 30 works fine, and most of the time you won't even be in the hardest gear. On a flat road at the end of a ride, 30 is all you need. 30 is also all you need to pedal up the steepest inclines.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Chris recommends a 28t for the majority of riders. 30t for certain areas or races, while a 32t is OK for many racers who never use their granny gear anyway. And 34t would not be enough low end for the average Joe rider. We wouldn't recommend 34t at all for everyday riders.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Dirty South Underdog
    I'd be interested to know as well. I live where it's pretty flat, and I do a good bit of interval training on the road. I find myself on the 32x10 and 12 on a regular basis if I'm going hard a little downhill or with a tailwind. It's not necessarily that I want a higher gear, but that I'd prefer to use the cogs in the middle of the cassette rather than always sitting on the highest ones.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    I'd be interested to know as well. I live where it's pretty flat, and I do a good bit of interval training on the road. I find myself on the 32x10 and 12 on a regular basis if I'm going hard a little downhill or with a tailwind. It's not necessarily that I want a higher gear, but that I'd prefer to use the cogs in the middle of the cassette rather than always sitting on the highest ones.
    This is exactly why 1x11 isn't the perfect solution for most people.

Putting a bigger ring will solve the above issue of riding in the smallest cog which wears out the chain, as well as the cog set quickly. But it doesn't solve the issue of giving the rider the correct gear at the time you need it.

If you are racing, you can pick the ring for the course, and suffer and push through it. If you are training, or riding with friends, suffering and pushing through it may not be the ideal course of action.

This is my opinion and not PIVOT's opinion.

XX1, XO1 or even those who make their own 1x10 systems, know that you give up something to gain the weight and simplicity you save. For the everyday rider I don't think a 1xsystem is the best idea.

So, if you decide to go that route, just think it through, at some point you decide your gearing to give up top end or low end gears, and you can't easily get them back.
    Jack Handy

Dirty South Underdog
    I wrote this post on my blog a while back, and, now that I've used 1x11 (on my full suspension), I still stand by this original thought: brickhouseracing Thing that needs to exist #327

The 10-42 range is plenty for me (I have singlespeeder tendancies, so I don't really find myself wanting a lower gear- even on long, steep stuff.) It really is the jumps between gears that makes me want to keep my 2x10 bike w/an 11-32 around for specific training rides.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    I wrote this post on my blog a while back, and, now that I've used 1x11 (on my full suspension), I still stand by this original thought: brickhouseracing Thing that needs to exist #327

The 10-42 range is plenty for me (I have singlespeeder tendancies, so I don't really find myself wanting a lower gear- even on long, steep stuff.) It really is the jumps between gears that makes me want to keep my 2x10 bike w/an 11-32 around for specific training rides.
    Great point! Nobody thinks about the cadence changes from each shift. These bigger jumps in the cassette are huge, and you may not find the perfect gear to spin in.

Just things to consider when thinking about going this direction. For certain bikes it makes sense, but for the everyday rider on a Mach 429, Mach 4, Mach 5.7 or even on the new Mach 6, a 1x11 may not be ideal.
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My 429c came with a 30t chainring, but it felt like too low of a gear as I was previously running a 32t ring w/ a 1x10 setup. I ended up replacing with a 34t, and it looks like there's more clearance for a 36 if needed. I would swap back to the 30t for a trip to the mountains at altitude, but out here our climbs are are maybe 400ft of vertical gain though they can be very rocky and steep and it's rarely flat.

I think it's funny that single speeders worry about the jumps between gears??? I mean seriously, just spin 1% faster, or mash 1% slower to make up for the difference. You're really grasping at straws. I can ALMOST understand the roadies complaining about an 11-27 cassette having too big of jumps compared to an 11-23 since they just sit and spin all day. Almost... But a MTB'er? Use a slightly different cadence and it's a non issue.

mtbr member
    I am with you JD. Even after 8 weeks off the bike due to a crash I can push XX1 with a big ring on the front. When I switched from 3X XTR to XX1 I noticed a big drop in my heart rate. Run it for two weeks and see the difference for yourself. It is not about leg strength unless you are riding 20%+ grades for longer distances.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The reason I am asking this is I run a 36t XX1 chainring on a 11-36 case on my hard tail. Works great for Michigan. I can make any climb I have seen in the state.

My Pivot has XX on it. 2x10. I am always in the big ring (39t). While I can make the climbs my lower back get sore. Plus the chain line from big ring to big ring is less than ideal on the Pivot. The 26t in Michigan is simply not needed.

At one point I plugged the 36t XX1 crank into the pivot and it looked like there was about 1mm of clearance. Not sure that is enough. There is some flex right? Don't want to mess up the Pivot frame.

I guess I would have to pull them apart and try again.

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1072 View Post
    I think it's funny that single speeders worry about the jumps between gears??? I mean seriously, just spin 1% faster, or mash 1% slower to make up for the difference. You're really grasping at straws. I can ALMOST understand the roadies complaining about an 11-27 cassette having too big of jumps compared to an 11-23 since they just sit and spin all day. Almost... But a MTB'er? Use a slightly different cadence and it's a non issue.
    I started bike life as a roadie, and I still have to do a large portion of my training on the road, so, yeah, the jumps bug me in that sense. I don't really notice them when I'm riding the trail because of the constant variations in terrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have confirmed that a 36t fits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Pivot recommends a 34t max. They say there's only about a mm of clearance on a 36 and don't suggest it.