No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Went for a ride, ended up at a Pivot demo (Mach 6 content)

Went out this morning to get some miles in on my single-speed (a converted Canfield Yelli Screamy that is too much fun). I'm in Phoenix and typically split time between South Mountain and Phoenix Mountain Preserves (PMP).

Decided on PMP today, parked and noticed a trailer and some stuff in the horse parking area. Didn't pay a lot of attention and went out on my ride. When I got back, it was in full swing, a Pivot demo day. I stroll over and, as blind luck would have it, was mounted on a Large Mach 6 and riding out of the parking lot in about 10 minutes.

I will say, my legs were shelled and I was tired before I ever got on the bike. The tech (Jason maybe??) got my suspension dialed in pretty quickly and very well. The build was decent: KS Lev, DT Swiss wheelset, all XT (brakes and 2x10), Float X shock and a 34 Kashima fork.

They asked to keep rides to around an hour, which seemed reasonable. If anyone is familiar, I rode a short loop that I regularly ride. In fact, I'd ridden in twice in the previous week on my newly built Burner. Nothing crazy, but pretty typical rocky tech. Couple short steep grinder climbs, some technical rock steps and some very steep, high-speed rocky descents with tight switches and a few 2-footish drops.

Stuff I didn't like: Narrow pinner bars, 80mm stem and Kenda tires (Nev. front, HB rear) with tubes. I haven't run a tube in so long I didn't recognize I'd pinch-flatted at the bottom of Bloody Knuckles.

Otherwise, this bike is the real deal. First, it's gorgeous. Aesthetics are personal, but I think its one of the best-looking bikes on the market today. Obviously didn't weigh it; seat of the pants, I'd guess right around 30-ish pounds. Despite that, the M6 is an extremely snappy pedaller and feels much lighter than it is.

Pivot really got the suspension dialed on this frame. It manages to be both efficient AND plush. I barely noticed all the embedded hatchet-head rocks we have, square-edge compliance was exceptional even seated and high in the stroke. And the bike manages to feel like it stays high in the stroke without getting wallowy, until you're really into the travel. Impressive.

On steeps, I'm a behind-the-seat, hip-steer sorta rider and the M6 responded well to this input. On higher-speed stuff, particularly in turns, it felt like the bike wanted a very aggressive weight shift toward the front to really dig it in.

Oddly, my expectation was the bole would be a better descender than climber. I found, on these trails, the opposite was true. It's a killer technical ascender. Not to say it's a poor descender, but I guess the climbing -- even with my tired legs -- really stood out for me.

Very poppy over little boaters and features, easy to manual and wheelie-drop off of obstacles. Within 10 minutes, I was perfectly comfortable and felt like I'd been riding the bike for months.

The only bummer for me turns out to be sizing. I'm 6'2" with around a 34- to 35-inch inseam and a 76-inch wingspan (monkey arms). Even with the 80mm stem, the size L was just a touch too small for me and I strongly prefer to run a 50mm stem.

Only managed to snag a couple iPhone shots during a short break.

IMG_0545

IMG_0544

Bottom-line, this is a fantastic frame and is certainly going to make a lot of riders happy. Stoked to have gotten in a solid ride on some very familiar trails. Thanks, Pivot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice review. This bike is at the top of my list, just need to demo one first which may happen soon as soon as I can find some extra time.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

Pivotal figure
    Good to hear you liked it. Since when did 740mm bars become "narrow pinner bars" tho??
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hey, Ken. Asked about you out there yesterday.

I know it's weird. I think a combination of long arms and running 785-800 mm bars with short stems for the past several years makes anything more narrow seem really weird.

mtbr member
    Nice review. I whacked my 730mm bars 4 times trying to dodge between trees on my local trail yesterday. Have a nicely scraped knuckle and shoulder too. 785-800 mm bars and you'd be walking more than riding !

mtbr member
    It is all what you are used to and where you live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Good to hear you liked it. Since when did 740mm bars become "narrow pinner bars" tho??
    On a large, yeah those are pinner. That and the 80mm stem are pretty atrocious spec choices. Sick bike otherwise.

Pivotal figure
    I actually just swapped from Deity BlackLabel bars back to the narrower Pivot bar a few months ago. It felt a little strange at first but the handling was so much snappier, not to mention I wasn't as terrified riding thru tight tree lined trails
    Stem length is a tough spec to nail down for sure but you can always ask to swap out for something shorter. I rode the Lg with that stem and it did feel a bit long to me. A 50 or 60mm would be my personal choice, zero rise.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Trees? What are those?

mtbr member
    Good review. Any regrets for not waiting for the Mach 6? Sounds like you're still digging the Burner.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    It felt a little strange at first but the handling was so much snappier, not to mention I wasn't as terrified riding thru tight tree lined trails
    don't you mean cactus and maybe an occasional shrub lined?

the heavily wooded nature of my local trails do limit the width of the bars i use. i make up for it by doing more pushups...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Pivotal figure
    I do actually ride in other places at times. I gots a car and everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post

the heavily wooded nature of my local trails do limit the width of the bars i use. i make up for it by doing more pushups...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post

I'm running 770's on the same trails.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    I'm running 770's on the same trails.
    yeah, i meant to communicate that i can't ...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Good review. Any regrets for not waiting for the Mach 6? Sounds like you're still digging the Burner.
    Hey, Kent: I have a very small amount of insight based on owning the Burner for a couple weeks and doing an hour demo on a well-known trail on the M6. Not completely fair since the Burner is the "right" size for me in XL and the L M6 was definitely too small.

The M6 is definitely more whippy or poppy and not as planted. Although it was too small, I really had to adjust my weight on the steeper climbs to keep the front planted. That said, the M6 is very easy to hop right on and ride well. There's no learning curve and the suspension seems really, really dialed even on a demo with no real setup time to speak of.

Comparatively, the Burner still isn't perfectly dialed suspension-wise. It seems to be much more sensitive to shock settings. I've got it mostly working well, but high-speed fast-hit performance seems a little wooden. Think the fast chunk of the bottom third of National; that's what I'm talking about.

The XL Burner is ENORMOUS with a wheelbase as long as many DH bikes I've had. I just ordered a 35mm stem to bring the bars back another 15mm.

One interesting thing I noted. When the trail points seriously down, the Burner is unbelievably fast. It picks up speed right now. The M6 was much more subtle in that regard; it fact, I had to look a couple times to make sure the wheels weren't 26.

A roundabout way of answering your question, I know. I'm not sorry I bought when I did, since (to my knowledge) XL M6s aren't available and that's definitely the size I need. If they had been, honestly, I probably would have bought the Pivot. Probably.