Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    OriginalDonk

Weagle Tweeting About Pivot Prototype

Looks like Dave Weagle just received a new Pivot prototype to play with. He can't tell us anything about it...but it's good to know something is in the pipeline. Wonder how far it is in the development process.

From DW himself:

"This is always a good start to the day, a new prototype from @pivotcycles is on my doorstep!! Twitpic"

A followup:
    "OK, the @pivotcycles prototype that I unboxed the other day, seriously one of the coolest looking bikes to ever pass through."

And a third:
    "Hrm.. @MDupelle Something awesome that I can't talk about... But it rides amazingly and looks crazy good! Stoked on it!"

What's it going to be? Let the prognostications begin.

mtbr member
    I would be stoked if it is a 7.5" or 8" travel Split pivot frame. That is what I need and it has to allow for 2 rings as a possible for AM use as well
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Let the speculation begin....boutique brand so the good news is it will be short...

I did hear the phoenix was supposed to go on a diet but that's just my .02
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Seeexfeeefty

mtbr member
    I believe Chris has already stated in an interview that a 650B is in the future. That's my guess.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I would be stoked if it is a 7.5" or 8" travel Split pivot frame. That is what I need and it has to allow for 2 rings as a possible for AM use as well
    I can assure you one thing, it's not a split pivot!

Please continue with your best guess. The winner gets a handshake and a pat on the back!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post

Please continue with your best guess. The winner gets a handshake and a pat on the back!
    Ok, just remove that part of my post and I'd be stoked.
    "It looks flexy"

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post

Well, for Weagle to be stoked about it, makes me think AM/DH oriented, but folks change the focus of their riding all the time. He seemed super-stoked about the 429c too. Although I'd like to see a Mach4c, I think the 429c and the Les are meant as the current stab at the XC end of the spectrum. I could see a 650b variant of the 5.7c, but maybe with even a touch burlier focus, like a 6.2c. I think that might infringe too much on the 5.7c though, which is really good at what it does. So I'm going to go with a carbon Firebird. Ah better yet, I'll go with a 650b carbon firebird. Name might be different, but something that obviously fits that niche.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Well, for Weagle to be stoked about it, makes me think AM/DH oriented, but folks change the focus of their riding all the time. He seemed super-stoked about the 429c too. Although I'd like to see a Mach4c, I think the 429c and the Les are meant as the current stab at the XC end of the spectrum. I could see a 650b variant of the 5.7c, but maybe with even a touch burlier focus, like a 6.2c. I think that might infringe too much on the 5.7c though, which is really good at what it does. So I'm going to go with a carbon Firebird. Ah better yet, I'll go with a 650b carbon firebird. Name might be different, but something that obviously fits that niche.
    Agreed. 5.7C is too new (will need another couple of years to pay for R&D, moulds, marketing, production, marketing, etc.) and covers a lot of segment. No need to cut into those sales Doubt that a carbon Firebird is coming, but agree that something like a 160 mm Carbon 27.5 for the AM/Enduro market that replaces the Firebird absolutely makes the most sense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It will be interesting to see what they come up with for sure. Just when I thought my decision was made!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    Agreed. 5.7C is too new (will need another couple of years to pay for R&D, moulds, marketing, production, marketing, etc.) and covers a lot of segment. No need to cut into those sales Doubt that a carbon Firebird is coming, but agree that something like a 160 mm Carbon 27.5 for the AM/Enduro market that replaces the Firebird absolutely makes the most sense.
    650B market is hot right now so yes I think 650B something?

You're probably right about the Mach 5.7 but I hope not. Perfect all around bike for so many things and I lust for one but only if it's 650B with 150mm or less travel. To many other good 650 choices now for me to go back to a 26" bike now matter how much I like the current 5.7.

Seems unlikely to me to hit the gate running with carbon so I'll guess it's aluminum with 160mm travel. Now DW did say "one of the coolest looking bikes to ever pass through" so yeah maybe carbon.

I really have no idea but dream it's a carbon Mach 527.5
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Mach 565?

5", 650b....
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, there are Firebird frames on sale...2011 tho...

so 160mm 650b F'bird or the Mach 6.650, if Weagle is stoked I am going with carbon over AL.

BTW I rode the 5.7C at bootleg, its the perfect trail bike...BUT..the 32 fork is ridicules on such a capable frame...Hello CC and Pivot please make your next 650B trailbikes at least with a option for a 34 150/160mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Well, there are Firebird frames on sale...2011 tho...

so 160mm 650b F'bird or the Mach 6.650, if Weagle is stoked I am going with carbon over AL.

BTW I rode the 5.7C at bootleg, its the perfect trail bike...BUT..the 32 fork is ridicules on such a capable frame...Hello CC and Pivot please make your next 650B trailbikes at least with a option for a 34 150/160mm.
    I have a Talas 34 160mm on my 5.7C and it is fantastic. That said, all AM/Enduro oriented 650b bikes that I'm aware of (Scott, Norco, Intense, Rocky Mountain) are getting the 34's. So, considering that Pivot is now cool with 34's on the 5.7's, I'd be pretty shocked if they produced a 650b AM rig with anything less than a 34 (Fox or XFusion).

74 & 29 pilot
    I think it would be a HUGE mistake to get into the 27.5 market with an aluminum frame. The Pivot guys are smart enough to know the need to bring a carbon version to the table with Intense, RM and Scott's rigs out there. I've been wanting a 27.5 carbon version of the Firebird or M5.7, but just couldn't wait any longer... I'm sure when they get into the 27.5 market or make a carbon Firebird, it will be SWEEEEEEET.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I would like to see the Mach 4 reborn as a 27.5 carbon race machine for those who prefer the faster handling of a smaller wheel, c'mon it worked for Nino Schurter. I'm not saying that's what the prototype is, after all, the obvious choice is a full-sus carbon fat bike, but if they make something like a Mach 527c I'd race the hell out of it.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I too am holding out on a 650 purchase until I figure out which Carbon frame I want. Aluminum isn't even a consideration (for new purchase).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Mach 5.65?
    Mach 6.50?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eds924 View Post
    Mach 5.65?
    Mach 6.50?
    I think the market will go with 27.5. We already have 26" and 29", why throw the metric system in there? Just to confuse new buyers? Some companies might stick with 650b naming, but I know Maxxis and Scott will be using 27.5 as will others. I mean, we know they're the same, but I could see someone getting a 650b bike and looking for tires and being like "man, all they have is 26, 27.5 and 29'er tires, no 650b, this sucks..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I think the market will go with 27.5. We already have 26" and 29", why throw the metric system in there? Just to confuse new buyers? Some companies might stick with 650b naming, but I know Maxxis and Scott will be using 27.5 as will others. I mean, we know they're the same, but I could see someone getting a 650b bike and looking for tires and being like "man, all they have is 26, 27.5 and 29'er tires, no 650b, this sucks..."
    No arguing here. But, the Mach 4, 5, and 5.7 are all named based on travel. Throw in the 429 and you've got travel + wheel size. So, depending on travel:

Mach X.27?
    Mach X.275?

I like the first of those better. But for whatever reason, I like saying "six-fifty." I think it would further distinguish from 429 or 5.7. Or maybe it's another mythological bird? Griffin? Roc / Rukh? Thunderbird?

mtbr member
    Gonna shoot Weagle a text now.. I know there are some things in the oven with Pivot, should be reallll interesting!

mtbr member
    I'm thinking a carbon 650 something is comming. Potentially a firebird replacement.

Good to hear the Phoenix is going on a diet. (Fingers crossed)
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    As long as it's NOT a carbon Phoenix, I'll be happy

You hear that Pivot? You're NOT allowed to make a carbon DH bike for at least another year or two, as my GF would kill me if I changed frames again!

Anything else is gravy, as I'm super stoked on my 5.7C & Phoenix

mtbr member
    May 2009

what is a split pivot design?

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    what is a split pivot design?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm sure it was the new Pivot Les... lol!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast