Results 1 to 99 of 99
  1. #1
    OriginalDonk
    Reputation: OriginalDonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    448

    Weagle Tweeting About Pivot Prototype

    Looks like Dave Weagle just received a new Pivot prototype to play with. He can't tell us anything about it...but it's good to know something is in the pipeline. Wonder how far it is in the development process.

    From DW himself:

    "This is always a good start to the day, a new prototype from @pivotcycles is on my doorstep!! Twitpic"

    A followup:
    "OK, the @pivotcycles prototype that I unboxed the other day, seriously one of the coolest looking bikes to ever pass through."

    And a third:
    "Hrm.. @MDupelle Something awesome that I can't talk about... But it rides amazingly and looks crazy good! Stoked on it!"

    What's it going to be? Let the prognostications begin.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,663
    I would be stoked if it is a 7.5" or 8" travel Split pivot frame. That is what I need and it has to allow for 2 rings as a possible for AM use as well
    "It looks flexy"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150
    Let the speculation begin....boutique brand so the good news is it will be short...

    I did hear the phoenix was supposed to go on a diet but that's just my .02
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

  4. #4
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Seeexfeeefty

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edbraunbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    439
    I believe Chris has already stated in an interview that a 650B is in the future. That's my guess.

  6. #6
    Paterfamilias
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I would be stoked if it is a 7.5" or 8" travel Split pivot frame. That is what I need and it has to allow for 2 rings as a possible for AM use as well
    I can assure you one thing, it's not a split pivot!

    Please continue with your best guess. The winner gets a handshake and a pat on the back!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,663
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    I can assure you one thing, it's not a split pivot!

    Please continue with your best guess. The winner gets a handshake and a pat on the back!
    Ok, just remove that part of my post and I'd be stoked.
    "It looks flexy"

  8. #8
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    I can assure you one thing, it's not a split pivot!

    Please continue with your best guess. The winner gets a handshake and a pat on the back!
    Well, for Weagle to be stoked about it, makes me think AM/DH oriented, but folks change the focus of their riding all the time. He seemed super-stoked about the 429c too. Although I'd like to see a Mach4c, I think the 429c and the Les are meant as the current stab at the XC end of the spectrum. I could see a 650b variant of the 5.7c, but maybe with even a touch burlier focus, like a 6.2c. I think that might infringe too much on the 5.7c though, which is really good at what it does. So I'm going to go with a carbon Firebird. Ah better yet, I'll go with a 650b carbon firebird. Name might be different, but something that obviously fits that niche.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JMW503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Well, for Weagle to be stoked about it, makes me think AM/DH oriented, but folks change the focus of their riding all the time. He seemed super-stoked about the 429c too. Although I'd like to see a Mach4c, I think the 429c and the Les are meant as the current stab at the XC end of the spectrum. I could see a 650b variant of the 5.7c, but maybe with even a touch burlier focus, like a 6.2c. I think that might infringe too much on the 5.7c though, which is really good at what it does. So I'm going to go with a carbon Firebird. Ah better yet, I'll go with a 650b carbon firebird. Name might be different, but something that obviously fits that niche.
    Agreed. 5.7C is too new (will need another couple of years to pay for R&D, moulds, marketing, production, marketing, etc.) and covers a lot of segment. No need to cut into those sales Doubt that a carbon Firebird is coming, but agree that something like a 160 mm Carbon 27.5 for the AM/Enduro market that replaces the Firebird absolutely makes the most sense.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    276
    It will be interesting to see what they come up with for sure. Just when I thought my decision was made!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    Agreed. 5.7C is too new (will need another couple of years to pay for R&D, moulds, marketing, production, marketing, etc.) and covers a lot of segment. No need to cut into those sales Doubt that a carbon Firebird is coming, but agree that something like a 160 mm Carbon 27.5 for the AM/Enduro market that replaces the Firebird absolutely makes the most sense.
    650B market is hot right now so yes I think 650B something?

    You're probably right about the Mach 5.7 but I hope not. Perfect all around bike for so many things and I lust for one but only if it's 650B with 150mm or less travel. To many other good 650 choices now for me to go back to a 26" bike now matter how much I like the current 5.7.

    Seems unlikely to me to hit the gate running with carbon so I'll guess it's aluminum with 160mm travel. Now DW did say "one of the coolest looking bikes to ever pass through" so yeah maybe carbon.

    I really have no idea but dream it's a carbon Mach 527.5
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,618
    Mach 565?

    5", 650b....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    468
    Well, there are Firebird frames on sale...2011 tho...

    so 160mm 650b F'bird or the Mach 6.650, if Weagle is stoked I am going with carbon over AL.

    BTW I rode the 5.7C at bootleg, its the perfect trail bike...BUT..the 32 fork is ridicules on such a capable frame...Hello CC and Pivot please make your next 650B trailbikes at least with a option for a 34 150/160mm.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JMW503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Well, there are Firebird frames on sale...2011 tho...

    so 160mm 650b F'bird or the Mach 6.650, if Weagle is stoked I am going with carbon over AL.

    BTW I rode the 5.7C at bootleg, its the perfect trail bike...BUT..the 32 fork is ridicules on such a capable frame...Hello CC and Pivot please make your next 650B trailbikes at least with a option for a 34 150/160mm.
    I have a Talas 34 160mm on my 5.7C and it is fantastic. That said, all AM/Enduro oriented 650b bikes that I'm aware of (Scott, Norco, Intense, Rocky Mountain) are getting the 34's. So, considering that Pivot is now cool with 34's on the 5.7's, I'd be pretty shocked if they produced a 650b AM rig with anything less than a 34 (Fox or XFusion).

  15. #15
    74 & 29 pilot
    Reputation: MTB Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,271
    I think it would be a HUGE mistake to get into the 27.5 market with an aluminum frame. The Pivot guys are smart enough to know the need to bring a carbon version to the table with Intense, RM and Scott's rigs out there. I've been wanting a 27.5 carbon version of the Firebird or M5.7, but just couldn't wait any longer... I'm sure when they get into the 27.5 market or make a carbon Firebird, it will be SWEEEEEEET.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

  16. #16
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,536
    I would like to see the Mach 4 reborn as a 27.5 carbon race machine for those who prefer the faster handling of a smaller wheel, c'mon it worked for Nino Schurter. I'm not saying that's what the prototype is, after all, the obvious choice is a full-sus carbon fat bike, but if they make something like a Mach 527c I'd race the hell out of it.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  17. #17
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    I too am holding out on a 650 purchase until I figure out which Carbon frame I want. Aluminum isn't even a consideration (for new purchase).

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    47
    Mach 5.65?
    Mach 6.50?

  19. #19
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by eds924 View Post
    Mach 5.65?
    Mach 6.50?
    I think the market will go with 27.5. We already have 26" and 29", why throw the metric system in there? Just to confuse new buyers? Some companies might stick with 650b naming, but I know Maxxis and Scott will be using 27.5 as will others. I mean, we know they're the same, but I could see someone getting a 650b bike and looking for tires and being like "man, all they have is 26, 27.5 and 29'er tires, no 650b, this sucks..."
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I think the market will go with 27.5. We already have 26" and 29", why throw the metric system in there? Just to confuse new buyers? Some companies might stick with 650b naming, but I know Maxxis and Scott will be using 27.5 as will others. I mean, we know they're the same, but I could see someone getting a 650b bike and looking for tires and being like "man, all they have is 26, 27.5 and 29'er tires, no 650b, this sucks..."
    No arguing here. But, the Mach 4, 5, and 5.7 are all named based on travel. Throw in the 429 and you've got travel + wheel size. So, depending on travel:

    Mach X.27?
    Mach X.275?

    I like the first of those better. But for whatever reason, I like saying "six-fifty." I think it would further distinguish from 429 or 5.7. Or maybe it's another mythological bird? Griffin? Roc / Rukh? Thunderbird?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HighTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    727
    Gonna shoot Weagle a text now.. I know there are some things in the oven with Pivot, should be reallll interesting!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    I'm thinking a carbon 650 something is comming. Potentially a firebird replacement.

    Good to hear the Phoenix is going on a diet. (Fingers crossed)

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    417
    As long as it's NOT a carbon Phoenix, I'll be happy

    You hear that Pivot? You're NOT allowed to make a carbon DH bike for at least another year or two, as my GF would kill me if I changed frames again!

    Anything else is gravy, as I'm super stoked on my 5.7C & Phoenix

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    105

    what is a split pivot design?

    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I would be stoked if it is a 7.5" or 8" travel Split pivot frame. That is what I need and it has to allow for 2 rings as a possible for AM use as well
    what is a split pivot design?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    190
    I'm sure it was the new Pivot Les... lol!

  26. #26
    aka greyranger
    Reputation: redranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    507

    split

    Quote Originally Posted by slindblom View Post
    what is a split pivot design?
    KInda like Trek's design there is a pivot on the rear axel. Not sure what the linkage looks like

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by slindblom View Post
    what is a split pivot design?
    Google is your friend grasshopper

    https://www.google.com/search?q=split+pivot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a


    Now, any more info on what Pivot has in the oven????
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    449
    Mach 427, carbon or alu, Pivot beats the big guys to the xc 650 mkt and I sell my flux.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,736
    Any more hints?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    234
    It has to be a 650B bike, I think that is a given. I would like to think it is a 650B 5.7c with maybe a slightly longer top tube and higher stack (somewhere in between the 429 and 5.7 geometry). I would like some more hints to salivate over or maybe a detail shot of the new bike where you really cant tell what it is but it would up the speculation.

  31. #31
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    All hail the 5.765027.5!

    It just rolls off the tongue.

  32. #32
    OriginalDonk
    Reputation: OriginalDonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    448
    Weagle just posted another teaser that was noooo help at all. A top down look at a bike box with the frame covered by the build. You can't see much other than a mix of SRAM and Shimano boxes. If it were all SRAM, I'd say this tweet was about a Turner but there's some Shimano in there.

    One thing does jump out at me. A 29" tube from Kenda. It looks deliberately placed. Maybe to throw people off the scent. If it is a 29er from Pivot wonder was it is. Maybe slacker 529? I dunno. Speculation continues!

    https://twitter.com/daveweagle/statu.../photo/1/large

  33. #33
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    I thought 29'ers were dead....

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schneidw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    368
    Fun and curious thread... I wouldnt even try to speculate on what is cooking in the engineering lab at Pivot.... but, My crystal ball tells me 650b Firebird w modified angles (less slack) and put on a diet... just seems to me a perfect meld of technical strengths and a nod to the niche that Pivot is creating w cutting edge hybridized AM/XC bikes... Hey Dan, cmon now.. up the ante and instead of a pat on teh back, if a MTBRer nails it, how about a 3 month stint as a beta tester

  35. #35
    dog
    dog is offline
    sit! stay!
    Reputation: dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,126
    so you're speculating the 650B that Mr. C has been discussing in various venues would be based on an FB sort of DW and not the Mach sort of DW? i supposed it could be...

    if the FB were replaced by a lighter, less slack set up, that'd be kind of sad. i like the FB for it's ability to have a fox 180 for trips to a park, yet it pedal like a trail bike... Knolly, Transition, Yeti and others seem to be introducing or updating their 6+ bikes for similar applications. Kenbentit, i'm kinda hoping you won't let your mates let the FB go all XC on us
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

  36. #36
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,259
    I ride my first 27,5 4 years ago now, and will not downgrade from my 29ers to this size, wich is so close to 26" (only 1cm at the radius).

    We can see from the pic a 29tube and a nobby nic, so this must be an AM 29er.

    I would buy a Pivot offering that would compete with Ibis Ripley or Turner Sultan, 140mm front at 68° and 130mm rear, especially if it was in carbon.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toHELLuRIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    555
    WIll it be revealed at sea otter?

    I can wait til then to find out. But speculation sure is fun..

    Perhaps its a 36" wheel snow bike that pedals itself.. OOOOOOOOOH

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    55
    Got to ride the Pivot line for the first time thanks to the Pivot Demo truck being here in town today. Super impressed with the way these bikes climb on our rocky, technical trails! Rode the 429c, the Mach 4, and then the 5.7c. Been riding only 29ers for 3 years now, but surprisingly the 5.7 was my fav. My Girlfriend rode the 5.7c, the 4, then the 5.7c again. Can you guess what her new favorite bike is?

    At any rate now that I have tasted the sweet flavors of Pivot I feel like I can chime in on what I think the next Pivot will be and what I wish they'd make.

    So my GUESS is that DW is currently working on a Mach 529.
    Now what I WISH they'd make is a Mach 5 on 27.5" wheels and Fox would release a 27.5" 34mm fork with a travel setting at 130mm. Realistically though, I think when they do make a 650b it will be a Mach 6 (2014?). Just my two cents.

    Great bikes and a fantastic crew working the demo truck!

  39. #39
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    IMO, the Fox Talas 34 with 120/160 would be close enough, especially if you ran an Angleset....

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,171
    Now what I WISH they'd make is a Mach 5 on 27.5" wheels and Fox would release a 27.5" 34mm fork with a travel setting at 130mm.
    +1000 on a Mach 5.275 or whatever they would call it.

    34mm X-Fusion Slant will also come in a short travel version with shorter stanchions (to save a bit of weight) with a max travel of 130mm. Internally adjustable to 120 and 100 I'm pretty sure. Pretty dam cool IMO.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    124
    I can't help but hope for a Mach 529 Carbon with slack angles and large tire clearance...

  42. #42
    dog
    dog is offline
    sit! stay!
    Reputation: dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,126
    OK...
    so what about a kind of floating rocker FB-type bike with completely adjustable geometry (stays, rocker, etc.) for converting between 26" for park riding to 27.5" for trail riding?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    449
    They have a 429c, the 5.7 is selling well but is competing with a great group of 650b's. Lots of buzz about the Burner and many fork choices. The 27.5.7 makes sense with a better designation. DW is a busy guy.

  44. #44
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    They have a 429c, the 5.7 is selling well but is competing with a great group of 650b's. Lots of buzz about the Burner and many fork choices. The 27.5.7 makes sense with a better designation. DW is a busy guy.
    You guys got it all wrong. Pivot will be first to market with a 6" travel 27.5 fatbike. They'll corner the market for extreme snow-riding!
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    They have a 429c, the 5.7 is selling well but is competing with a great group of 650b's. Lots of buzz about the Burner and many fork choices. The 27.5.7 makes sense with a better designation. DW is a busy guy.
    While I completely agree with you, the Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc is dominating that market segment. I'll bet Yeti gives us a Carbon SB95 soon too...

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    32
    A carbon Mach 4? no

    A 4" 650b mach4.65 or something. Can it please have a slightly slacker HA than the mach4 and can you squeeze in shorter chainstays, please... and....yes... I'll have mine in carbon thanks

    that would be my perfect bike.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget1 View Post
    A carbon Mach 4? no

    A 4" 650b mach4.65 or something. Can it please have a slightly slacker HA than the mach4 and can you squeeze in shorter chainstays, please... and....yes... I'll have mine in carbon thanks

    that would be my perfect bike.
    I see a bunch of guys asking for this type of bike in the 650B forum fairly often. Ultimately I think it will happen but it seems the hotter market right now is longish travel 29'ers and 140-160mm 650B bikes. I'm guessing the latter. Gotta stoke the fire while it's hot.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,736
    I'm still hoping for the carbon Firebird upgrade with Pinion gearbox. 26"/650b convertible.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    449
    When you hear that Fox is coming out with a F32 650, get ready for the Mach 427 carbon. I'll save a place in line for you.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,876
    Sure hope it's a 650b carbon updated FB. I'd buy it. A lot of riders out there ready to replace their current AM bikes that are insisting on 650b compatibility, CF, and an advanced suspension design ie not faux bar.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    55
    If Pivot offered a carbon 5 to 6 inch travel 27.5" wheeled bike, then I'd buy one this second!

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by dielectric lab View Post
    If Pivot offered a carbon 5 to 6 inch travel 27.5" wheeled bike, then I'd buy one this second!
    Yeah, I probably would to but I have my doubts that's what it's gonna be

    Pivot's in a catch 22 situation with the Carbon 5.7 I think. Thing was just got released for 2012 and now do you hope it continues to sell while your competitors offer 27.5 bikes or do you also release a 27.5 model while the fire is hot and probably kill the sales of the 26" version? (with all the tooling costs for the carbon molds) While the 5.7 is super sweet I think plenty of potential buyers now (me included) are waiting for a 27.5 model and if it's not this new yet to be disclosed bike will shop elsewhere. I could easily see a carbon (650?) Firebird or longer travel AM 29'er as strong possibilities also but I'm hoping for a Mach 275.

    How about some more info from Pivot on our day of Thanksgiving and sharing
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  53. #53
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by dielectric lab View Post
    If Pivot offered a carbon 5 to 6 inch travel 27.5" wheeled bike, then I'd buy one this second!
    well, for me, it would also depend upon its geo, bb height, chainstay length, tire clearance, and a few other specs, but yeah, that would be my first Pivot purchase.

  54. #54
    Grand Master Jedi
    Reputation: RaptorAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    292
    Actually, Chris specifically mentions the 529 in a recent interview:

    http://pivotcycles.com/timbh/chrismbainterview.pdf

    If I were a betting man, I'd say he's got a 529c in his hands... Which makes sense given the market enthusiasm for trail-bike-29rs.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HighTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    727
    Some of you guys are pretty close! Esp those guys wanting a 8" travel 4" wide fat tire snow bike.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    Actually, Chris specifically mentions the 529 in a recent interview:

    http://pivotcycles.com/timbh/chrismbainterview.pdf

    If I were a betting man, I'd say he's got a 529c in his hands... Which makes sense given the market enthusiasm for trail-bike-29rs.
    After reading the article and seeing the 29er tire in the box picture I would say a 529 is right on the money. Probably 135mm

  57. #57
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    After reading the article and seeing the 29er tire in the box picture I would say a 529 is right on the money. Probably 135mm
    I'm personally not too enthused about a 529, but that's good news for the people who are. Great article though. Thanks for the link!
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,171
    I really (really) like the 650B wheel size and hope for a Mach 275 but the possibility of a carbon Pivot 529 could be very very tempting indeed. Especially if it could be built up under 30lbs.

    Just demoed a banshee Prime 29'er and it's a very sweet bike and was able to clear a few rock sections I couldn't before on my "B" bikes. In it's 1 x 10 demo state (which killed me) it weighed 32.4lbs. I demoed the bike more to see how the KS Link worked (awesome BTW) but the 29'er effect was clearly evident.

    A carbon, DW Link, 5" travel 29'er with reasonably slack HA could be amazing. Hope we find out soon what's brewing!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    As long as it's NOT a carbon Phoenix, I'll be happy

    You hear that Pivot? You're NOT allowed to make a carbon DH bike for at least another year or two, as my GF would kill me if I changed frames again!

    Anything else is gravy, as I'm super stoked on my 5.7C & Phoenix
    PIVOT - my wife has also put a ban on any mid-travel carbon 650b, at least until 2015. I love my Mach 5.7 C, which I bought in April and need at least 2 - 3 years to amortize the thing. If you come out with a Mach anywhere between 5" to 6" with 650b wheels, then I will cry for a few days, and then figure out how to get the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    If they come out with a 527c, why wouldn't you just sell your 5.7c (assuming you get a great price) and buy the 529c (thus transfer the depreciation to someone else) and use the funds on depreciation of your new 527c instead?

  61. #61
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    I just hope it's not Firebird related. I haven't even gotten mine yet!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonDoL View Post
    If they come out with a 527c, why wouldn't you just sell your 5.7c (assuming you get a great price) and buy the 529c (thus transfer the depreciation to someone else) and use the funds on depreciation of your new 527c instead?
    To Skidad point, if a Pivot Mach 527 (or whatever the name comes out to be) goes in the market, then the price of the Mach 5.7 - 26 will have just plumed. Just an assumption. In the end I do Mountain Biking as an incredible hobby, not looking at the finances that close, but when spending some money as I did on my 5.7 you would hope to have the cream of the crop for a few years that's all. In the end, its all good.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    54
    I frankly do not see a reason why the release of a 527 would cause a drop in price for 2 reasons:

    1) it makes no sense to release a 5.7" version of a 27.5 wheel, assuming the 650 or 27.5 made sense in the first place

    2nd) its a completely different wheelsize market, and if u wanted to attract new customers to the brand it makes sense to pull over a market which already has a strong and growing following (29"), then one that is just starting and may likely die out again soon (650b).....

    what seems more likely, would be a carbon update to existing bikes that are already tried and tested....to suddenly release a new carbon frame, on a new addition to the model line, on a new wheelsize...is one step many for a single release imo....

    Personally, im keeping my fingers crossed for a Carbon FB, or a Phoenix (unlikely i know lol)

  64. #64
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Carbon FB makes sense. They need that option IMO. I would hope it's a $1k price add-on so I won't be annoyed.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei_Ikari View Post
    I frankly do not see a reason why the release of a 527 would cause a drop in price for 2 reasons:

    1) it makes no sense to release a 5.7" version of a 27.5 wheel, assuming the 650 or 27.5 made sense in the first place

    2nd) its a completely different wheelsize market, and if u wanted to attract new customers to the brand it makes sense to pull over a market which already has a strong and growing following (29"), then one that is just starting and may likely die out again soon (650b)....
    While your right on the 29'er (and it makes perfect sense for a 529 Pivot) your way off base on the 650B and the market for it. I'm gonna guess you've never even thrown a leg over a 650B bike or briefly at most or you would know what a nice improvement it can be over a 26" bike in almost every way. If Pivot had an identical bike in 26 and 27.5 I'd be shocked if anyone bought the 26" after a good test ride on both. The improvement is quite noticeable (hense Pivot's dilema with the Mach 5.7c being so new) and I for one will have no Mach 5.7 in my future unless it's 27.5 compatible.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  66. #66
    74 & 29 pilot
    Reputation: MTB Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    While your right on the 29'er (and it makes perfect sense for a 529 Pivot) your way off base on the 650B and the market for it. I'm gonna guess you've never even thrown a leg over a 650B bike or briefly at most or you would know what a nice improvement it can be over a 26" bike in almost every way. If Pivot had an identical bike in 26 and 27.5 I'd be shocked if anyone bought the 26" after a good test ride on both. The improvement is quite noticeable (hense Pivot's dilema with the Mach 5.7c being so new) and I for one will have no Mach 5.7 in my future unless it's 27.5 compatible.
    +1
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schneidw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    368

    529?

    In my situation, when I was shopping for a FS 29er, I had a chance to obtain a Sultan at cost directly from Turner, but in the end decided on the Pivot Mach 429. The Sultan was appealing because it was made in teh USA, great price, and great bike/reputation. I decided on teh Pivot because after test riding both bikes, at the time the Turner felt like it "sat tall" which I attributed to the 5 inch travel... The Pivot geometry was spot on, handled more nimble and climbed more responsively in my opinion at the time... That was early 2010 and I was new to the 29er ride. Fast forward to 2013 and I have already (2011) swapped out the 100mm fork for 120mm becauase I was using full travel and notice that I am using full travel in the rear, making me wonder if a 5 inch travel FS DW Link bike really is the way to go....

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    While your right on the 29'er (and it makes perfect sense for a 529 Pivot) your way off base on the 650B and the market for it. I'm gonna guess you've never even thrown a leg over a 650B bike or briefly at most or you would know what a nice improvement it can be over a 26" bike in almost every way. If Pivot had an identical bike in 26 and 27.5 I'd be shocked if anyone bought the 26" after a good test ride on both. The improvement is quite noticeable (hense Pivot's dilema with the Mach 5.7c being so new) and I for one will have no Mach 5.7 in my future unless it's 27.5 compatible.
    I think this treat should jump to the 650b treat, but do want to make a point. I'm very traditional, and "short", so I ruled out the 29ers long time ago. I do acknowledge their advantages, but I'm still feel I'm faster and have much more fun on technical trails with a 26" bike than a 29er. The quick acceleration, jumps tight switchbacks etc. Unfortunately, and I say unfortunately because I'm desperately want to build the case for 26, the 27.5 don't loose any of the qualities of the 26, but does give you a slight edge on rolling resistance and traction. The 29er is a complete different bike and there is a solid market for it, so the 27.5 will not be competing with the 29er but with the 26. Right now commercial reasons will keep the 26 alive, but by seeing long travel bikes being converted to 27.5 and people actually loving it I think 27.5 is here to stay. When you see heavy hitters like Scott only offering 27.5 and 29 on their main trail bike line that must tell us something.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,736
    No pressure, but I need to know what this new model is before I put some money down on a new bike tomorrow!

  70. #70
    Paterfamilias
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    No pressure, but I need to know what this new model is before I put some money down on a new bike tomorrow!
    Just remember everyone, that the Mach 429 Carbon was in development and in prototype testing for nearly 3 years. It's possible that what he tweeted is about something we won't even see until 2015...

    But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle...
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle...
    As long as it's carbon fiber and runs a 4.8" wide 650b tire I'll buy one

  72. #72
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerTex View Post
    As long as it's carbon fiber and runs a 4.8" wide 650b tire I'll buy one
    Exactly. With a 26" convertible option, perhaps.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Just remember everyone, that the Mach 429 Carbon was in development and in prototype testing for nearly 3 years. It's possible that what he tweeted is about something we won't even see until 2015...

    But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle...
    works for me. I will not guess anymore and wait until 2015!!!!

  74. #74
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by 40er View Post
    works for me. I will not guess anymore and wait until 2015!!!!
    29"ers will be declared dead by then, duh

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,171
    It's a B9'er

    29 front with 650 rear, XX1 drivetrain with no provision for a FD
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  76. #76
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    no WAY. IT IS. 29" rear, 26" front climbing bike, with just a single 36 cog on the rear, and a Schlumpf internal drivetrain. It will be for climbing ONLY.
    Schlumpf Innovations Gearing Systems - Speed Drive, Mountain Drive, High Speed Drive

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    29"ers will be declared dead by then, duh
    My opinion is the opposite. 29ers will be just fine, the 26" will be replaced by the 27.5.

  78. #78
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Sarcasm...meter....you must recalibrate!

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle...
    Are you saying that it is a carbon Firebird update with a Pinion gearbox and 26"/650b dropouts?

  80. #80
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    I guess I care less about what it is and more about when we would find out.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by 40er View Post
    My opinion is the opposite. 29ers will be just fine, the 26" will be replaced by the 27.5.
    As long as the majority of people range from 5 foot tall to 6 foot 5 there may be room for all sizes, the world is a big market.

    I will be buying a 5.7 C next year, I love my Mach 5 but it will be 5 years old and I still like 26" wheels. I would like a little more travel and slightly slacker angles this time around while still being able to race endurance races as well.

  82. #82
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    After reading the article and seeing the 29er tire in the box picture I would say a 529 is right on the money. Probably 135mm

    I think this make sense.
    All the more as i asked DW on twitter about a >130mm DWlink 29er being released someday, and he said that there is "a very good chance" !

    Now that Pivot have the 429c to put against Santa cruz best seller Tallboy, they could make a bike to compete against the LTc.

    Living in the French Alps, i would buy a 529 in carbon with 135mm rear as soon as it is released !
    Please make it as light as the LTc, and with the geometry of the Banshee Prime (especially in size L :-)

    If it takes too long to materialize, i will probably build an Ibis Ripley or a Yeti SB95 carbon before.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,736
    Anything new?

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    no WAY. IT IS. 29" rear, 26" front climbing bike, with just a single 36 cog on the rear, and a Schlumpf internal drivetrain. It will be for climbing ONLY.]
    uphilling is the new downhilling

  85. #85
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw View Post
    In my situation, when I was shopping for a FS 29er, I had a chance to obtain a Sultan at cost directly from Turner, but in the end decided on the Pivot Mach 429. The Sultan was appealing because it was made in teh USA, great price, and great bike/reputation. I decided on teh Pivot because after test riding both bikes, at the time the Turner felt like it "sat tall" which I attributed to the 5 inch travel... The Pivot geometry was spot on, handled more nimble and climbed more responsively in my opinion at the time... That was early 2010 and I was new to the 29er ride. Fast forward to 2013 and I have already (2011) swapped out the 100mm fork for 120mm becauase I was using full travel and notice that I am using full travel in the rear, making me wonder if a 5 inch travel FS DW Link bike really is the way to go....
    where's my chile peppers???
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    241
    650b, around 6" of travel, like the one Kevin was riding at Somo?
    Because, one is never enough.

  87. #87
    dog
    dog is offline
    sit! stay!
    Reputation: dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BeerJoe View Post
    650b, around 6" of travel, like the one Kevin was riding at Somo?
    if i were Pivot and i had the capital, i would certainly be prototyping more than one platform... it seems that 29ers maybe be big today, but what if 650b is the next big thing? when the el guapo came out it did not seem like 6+ inch travel trail bikes that were meant to be used with 160mm + forks were all too common, but there there seems to be a lot now... didn't some MTB mag call the FB one of the most important bikes of the decade?

    anyway, it's gotta be hard to predict demand...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edbraunbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    439
    The timing seems right for a 650B model especially for the people who bought Mach 5's in 2008. They are ready to upgrade if they haven't already. While the 5.7C is awesome, I think most people are curious about the 650 especially with what has happened with the 29er popularity.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,663
    I still have never ridden a 29er. Not because I'm a hater but just haven't had the opportunity yet. Unless you count racing cyclocross but I don't.
    "It looks flexy"

  90. #90
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    The timing seems right for a 650B model especially for the people who bought Mach 5's in 2008. They are ready to upgrade if they haven't already. While the 5.7C is awesome, I think most people are curious about the 650 especially with what has happened with the 29er popularity.
    ANY company not actively developing/introducing 650 right now is basically admitting defeat.
    Or retreating to 'niche' status.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  91. #91
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,536
    650b will be the next big thing, if for no other reason than basic human psychology. Pretty much #3 in this article sums it up: The 11 Ways That Consumers Are Hopeless at Math - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic
    29'ers might be too big and slow. 26'ers don't have enough rollover. I'll pick 650b, right in the middle!
    In short: We are all Goldilocks.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

  92. #92
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    650b will be the next big thing, if for no other reason than basic human psychology. Pretty much #3 in this article sums it up: The 11 Ways That Consumers Are Hopeless at Math - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic
    29'ers might be too big and slow. 26'ers don't have enough rollover. I'll pick 650b, right in the middle!
    In short: We are all Goldilocks.
    Works with hot sauces, and ski widths, too!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  93. #93
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    650b will be the next big thing, if for no other reason than basic human psychology. Pretty much #3 in this article sums it up: The 11 Ways That Consumers Are Hopeless at Math - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic
    29'ers might be too big and slow. 26'ers don't have enough rollover. I'll pick 650b, right in the middle!
    In short: We are all Goldilocks.
    And boobs. Dont ever forget boobs.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  94. #94
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    I always ask for medium at Taco Bell and they give me mild!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  95. #95
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I always ask for medium at Taco Bell and they give me mild!
    That's why they have fire sauce in the little packets.
    Put a 180 fork and 2.4 tires on it, and call it 'caliente'!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  96. #96
    Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    Reputation: btibben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    232
    Newest 'bird WILL be a carbon with a 95% chance of 650b-ness. I'm just adding my opinion to the multiples out there.
    Somebody should have done this in a poll though.

    But come to think of it, a pedallable 7.5-8" AM bike would be FUNominal.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

  97. #97
    OriginalDonk
    Reputation: OriginalDonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    448
    Looks like Dave just posted another tweet February 1. No guarantees they're Pivot products as I imagine he's got Turner and Ibis steeds in the mix.

    "So much carbon, so much 29er, so much 65027.5(.25), so much DH, so much XC, so much XC!, some AM, SO MUCH TESTING TO DO!"

    Word is that Turner has a carbon 29er in the pipeline. I imagine Pivot and Ibis are both pushing 650B projects. Wonder where the DH is coming from and I know the AM following is huge. Sounds like he's involved in a few things.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edbraunbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    439
    I'm guessing we'll not see anything in the 650B variety until next year. They took two years to test the 429C which means they probably have prototypes at there now.

    If they did have something coming this year, they would seem to be leaking more information out. Maybe taking the Apple approach and leaving one behind by accident at the trailhead.

    Just my theory and I hope I'm wrong.

  99. #99
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,289
    Hmm I don't think I noticed anything when Chris Cocalis showed up to the demo day in early January. I wouldn't exactly know what to look for either.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •