Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Weagle Tweeting About Pivot Prototype

18K views 98 replies 41 participants last post by  StuLax18 
#1 ·
Looks like Dave Weagle just received a new Pivot prototype to play with. He can't tell us anything about it...but it's good to know something is in the pipeline. Wonder how far it is in the development process.

From DW himself:

"This is always a good start to the day, a new prototype from @pivotcycles is on my doorstep!! Twitpic
"

A followup:
"OK, the @pivotcycles prototype that I unboxed the other day, seriously one of the coolest looking bikes to ever pass through."

And a third:
"Hrm.. @MDupelle Something awesome that I can't talk about... But it rides amazingly and looks crazy good! Stoked on it!"

What's it going to be? Let the prognostications begin.

See less See more
#38 ·
Got to ride the Pivot line for the first time thanks to the Pivot Demo truck being here in town today. Super impressed with the way these bikes climb on our rocky, technical trails! Rode the 429c, the Mach 4, and then the 5.7c. Been riding only 29ers for 3 years now, but surprisingly the 5.7 was my fav. My Girlfriend rode the 5.7c, the 4, then the 5.7c again. Can you guess what her new favorite bike is?

At any rate now that I have tasted the sweet flavors of Pivot I feel like I can chime in on what I think the next Pivot will be and what I wish they'd make.

So my GUESS is that DW is currently working on a Mach 529.
Now what I WISH they'd make is a Mach 5 on 27.5" wheels and Fox would release a 27.5" 34mm fork with a travel setting at 130mm. Realistically though, I think when they do make a 650b it will be a Mach 6 (2014?). Just my two cents.

Great bikes and a fantastic crew working the demo truck!

#40 ·
Now what I WISH they'd make is a Mach 5 on 27.5" wheels and Fox would release a 27.5" 34mm fork with a travel setting at 130mm.
+1000 on a Mach 5.275 or whatever they would call it.

34mm X-Fusion Slant will also come in a short travel version with shorter stanchions (to save a bit of weight) with a max travel of 130mm. Internally adjustable to 120 and 100 I'm pretty sure. Pretty dam cool IMO.

#47 ·
I see a bunch of guys asking for this type of bike in the 650B forum fairly often. Ultimately I think it will happen but it seems the hotter market right now is longish travel 29'ers and 140-160mm 650B bikes. I'm guessing the latter. Gotta stoke the fire while it's hot.

#50 ·
Sure hope it's a 650b carbon updated FB. I'd buy it. A lot of riders out there ready to replace their current AM bikes that are insisting on 650b compatibility, CF, and an advanced suspension design ie not faux bar.

#52 ·
Yeah, I probably would to but I have my doubts that's what it's gonna be :confused:

Pivot's in a catch 22 situation with the Carbon 5.7 I think. Thing was just got released for 2012 and now do you hope it continues to sell while your competitors offer 27.5 bikes or do you also release a 27.5 model while the fire is hot and probably kill the sales of the 26" version? (with all the tooling costs for the carbon molds) While the 5.7 is super sweet I think plenty of potential buyers now (me included) are waiting for a 27.5 model and if it's not this new yet to be disclosed bike will shop elsewhere. I could easily see a carbon (650?) Firebird or longer travel AM 29'er as strong possibilities also but I'm hoping for a Mach 275.

How about some more info from Pivot on our day of Thanksgiving and sharing :yesnod::thumbsup:

#58 ·
I really (really) like the 650B wheel size and hope for a Mach 275 but the possibility of a carbon Pivot 529 could be very very tempting indeed. Especially if it could be built up under 30lbs.

Just demoed a banshee Prime 29'er and it's a very sweet bike and was able to clear a few rock sections I couldn't before on my "B" bikes. In it's 1 x 10 demo state (which killed me) it weighed 32.4lbs. I demoed the bike more to see how the KS Link worked (awesome BTW) but the 29'er effect was clearly evident.

A carbon, DW Link, 5" travel 29'er with reasonably slack HA could be amazing. Hope we find out soon what's brewing!

#62 ·
To Skidad point, if a Pivot Mach 527 (or whatever the name comes out to be) goes in the market, then the price of the Mach 5.7 - 26 will have just plumed. Just an assumption. In the end I do Mountain Biking as an incredible hobby, not looking at the finances that close, but when spending some money as I did on my 5.7 you would hope to have the cream of the crop for a few years that's all. In the end, its all good.:thumbsup:

#63 ·
I frankly do not see a reason why the release of a 527 would cause a drop in price for 2 reasons:

1) it makes no sense to release a 5.7" version of a 27.5 wheel, assuming the 650 or 27.5 made sense in the first place

2nd) its a completely different wheelsize market, and if u wanted to attract new customers to the brand it makes sense to pull over a market which already has a strong and growing following (29"), then one that is just starting and may likely die out again soon (650b).....

what seems more likely, would be a carbon update to existing bikes that are already tried and tested....to suddenly release a new carbon frame, on a new addition to the model line, on a new wheelsize...is one step many for a single release imo....

Personally, im keeping my fingers crossed for a Carbon FB, or a Phoenix (unlikely i know lol)

#65 ·
I frankly do not see a reason why the release of a 527 would cause a drop in price for 2 reasons:

1) it makes no sense to release a 5.7" version of a 27.5 wheel, assuming the 650 or 27.5 made sense in the first place

2nd) its a completely different wheelsize market, and if u wanted to attract new customers to the brand it makes sense to pull over a market which already has a strong and growing following (29"), then one that is just starting and may likely die out again soon (650b)....
While your right on the 29'er (and it makes perfect sense for a 529 Pivot) your way off base on the 650B and the market for it. I'm gonna guess you've never even thrown a leg over a 650B bike or briefly at most or you would know what a nice improvement it can be over a 26" bike in almost every way. If Pivot had an identical bike in 26 and 27.5 I'd be shocked if anyone bought the 26" after a good test ride on both. The improvement is quite noticeable (hense Pivot's dilema with the Mach 5.7c being so new) and I for one will have no Mach 5.7 in my future unless it's 27.5 compatible.

#67 ·
529?

In my situation, when I was shopping for a FS 29er, I had a chance to obtain a Sultan at cost directly from Turner, but in the end decided on the Pivot Mach 429. The Sultan was appealing because it was made in teh USA, great price, and great bike/reputation. I decided on teh Pivot because after test riding both bikes, at the time the Turner felt like it "sat tall" which I attributed to the 5 inch travel... The Pivot geometry was spot on, handled more nimble and climbed more responsively in my opinion at the time... That was early 2010 and I was new to the 29er ride. Fast forward to 2013 and I have already (2011) swapped out the 100mm fork for 120mm becauase I was using full travel and notice that I am using full travel in the rear, making me wonder if a 5 inch travel FS DW Link bike really is the way to go....

#85 ·
In my situation, when I was shopping for a FS 29er, I had a chance to obtain a Sultan at cost directly from Turner, but in the end decided on the Pivot Mach 429. The Sultan was appealing because it was made in teh USA, great price, and great bike/reputation. I decided on teh Pivot because after test riding both bikes, at the time the Turner felt like it "sat tall" which I attributed to the 5 inch travel... The Pivot geometry was spot on, handled more nimble and climbed more responsively in my opinion at the time... That was early 2010 and I was new to the 29er ride. Fast forward to 2013 and I have already (2011) swapped out the 100mm fork for 120mm becauase I was using full travel and notice that I am using full travel in the rear, making me wonder if a 5 inch travel FS DW Link bike really is the way to go....
where's my chile peppers???

#70 ·
:thumbsup:Just remember everyone, that the Mach 429 Carbon was in development and in prototype testing for nearly 3 years. It's possible that what he tweeted is about something we won't even see until 2015...

But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.