Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Weagle Tweeting About Pivot Prototype

18K views 98 replies 41 participants last post by  StuLax18 
#1 ·
Looks like Dave Weagle just received a new Pivot prototype to play with. He can't tell us anything about it...but it's good to know something is in the pipeline. Wonder how far it is in the development process.

From DW himself:

"This is always a good start to the day, a new prototype from @pivotcycles is on my doorstep!! Twitpic
"

A followup:
"OK, the @pivotcycles prototype that I unboxed the other day, seriously one of the coolest looking bikes to ever pass through."

And a third:
"Hrm.. @MDupelle Something awesome that I can't talk about... But it rides amazingly and looks crazy good! Stoked on it!"

What's it going to be? Let the prognostications begin.

See less See more
#13 ·
Well, there are Firebird frames on sale...2011 tho...

so 160mm 650b F'bird or the Mach 6.650, if Weagle is stoked I am going with carbon over AL.

BTW I rode the 5.7C at bootleg, its the perfect trail bike...BUT..the 32 fork is ridicules on such a capable frame...Hello CC and Pivot please make your next 650B trailbikes at least with a option for a 34 150/160mm.

#14 ·
I have a Talas 34 160mm on my 5.7C and it is fantastic. That said, all AM/Enduro oriented 650b bikes that I'm aware of (Scott, Norco, Intense, Rocky Mountain) are getting the 34's. So, considering that Pivot is now cool with 34's on the 5.7's, I'd be pretty shocked if they produced a 650b AM rig with anything less than a 34 (Fox or XFusion).

#15 ·
I think it would be a HUGE mistake to get into the 27.5 market with an aluminum frame. The Pivot guys are smart enough to know the need to bring a carbon version to the table with Intense, RM and Scott's rigs out there. I've been wanting a 27.5 carbon version of the Firebird or M5.7, but just couldn't wait any longer... I'm sure when they get into the 27.5 market or make a carbon Firebird, it will be SWEEEEEEET.

#16 ·
I would like to see the Mach 4 reborn as a 27.5 carbon race machine for those who prefer the faster handling of a smaller wheel, c'mon it worked for Nino Schurter. I'm not saying that's what the prototype is, after all, the obvious choice is a full-sus carbon fat bike, but if they make something like a Mach 527c I'd race the hell out of it.

#19 ·
I think the market will go with 27.5. We already have 26" and 29", why throw the metric system in there? Just to confuse new buyers? Some companies might stick with 650b naming, but I know Maxxis and Scott will be using 27.5 as will others. I mean, we know they're the same, but I could see someone getting a 650b bike and looking for tires and being like "man, all they have is 26, 27.5 and 29'er tires, no 650b, this sucks..."

#23 ·
As long as it's NOT a carbon Phoenix, I'll be happy ;)

You hear that Pivot? You're NOT allowed to make a carbon DH bike for at least another year or two, as my GF would kill me if I changed frames again!

Anything else is gravy, as I'm super stoked on my 5.7C & Phoenix :p

#59 ·
PIVOT - my wife has also put a ban on any mid-travel carbon 650b, at least until 2015. I love my Mach 5.7 C, which I bought in April and need at least 2 - 3 years to amortize the thing. If you come out with a Mach anywhere between 5" to 6" with 650b wheels, then I will cry for a few days, and then figure out how to get the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 ·
It has to be a 650B bike, I think that is a given. I would like to think it is a 650B 5.7c with maybe a slightly longer top tube and higher stack (somewhere in between the 429 and 5.7 geometry). I would like some more hints to salivate over or maybe a detail shot of the new bike where you really cant tell what it is but it would up the speculation.

#32 ·
Weagle just posted another teaser that was noooo help at all. A top down look at a bike box with the frame covered by the build. You can't see much other than a mix of SRAM and Shimano boxes. If it were all SRAM, I'd say this tweet was about a Turner but there's some Shimano in there.

One thing does jump out at me. A 29" tube from Kenda. It looks deliberately placed. Maybe to throw people off the scent. If it is a 29er from Pivot wonder was it is. Maybe slacker 529? I dunno. Speculation continues!

#34 ·
Fun and curious thread... I wouldnt even try to speculate on what is cooking in the engineering lab at Pivot.... but, My crystal ball tells me 650b Firebird w modified angles (less slack) and put on a diet... just seems to me a perfect meld of technical strengths and a nod to the niche that Pivot is creating w cutting edge hybridized AM/XC bikes... Hey Dan, cmon now.. up the ante and instead of a pat on teh back, if a MTBRer nails it, how about a 3 month stint as a beta tester

#35 ·
so you're speculating the 650B that Mr. C has been discussing in various venues would be based on an FB sort of DW and not the Mach sort of DW? i supposed it could be...

if the FB were replaced by a lighter, less slack set up, that'd be kind of sad. i like the FB for it's ability to have a fox 180 for trips to a park, yet it pedal like a trail bike... Knolly, Transition, Yeti and others seem to be introducing or updating their 6+ bikes for similar applications. Kenbentit, i'm kinda hoping you won't let your mates let the FB go all XC on us :smilewinkgrin:

#36 ·
I ride my first 27,5 4 years ago now, and will not downgrade from my 29ers to this size, wich is so close to 26" (only 1cm at the radius).

We can see from the pic a 29tube and a nobby nic, so this must be an AM 29er.

I would buy a Pivot offering that would compete with Ibis Ripley or Turner Sultan, 140mm front at 68° and 130mm rear, especially if it was in carbon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.