• 12-04-2012
    rideit
    no WAY. IT IS. 29" rear, 26" front climbing bike, with just a single 36 cog on the rear, and a Schlumpf internal drivetrain. It will be for climbing ONLY.
    Schlumpf Innovations Gearing Systems - Speed Drive, Mountain Drive, High Speed Drive
  • 12-04-2012
    40er
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    29"ers will be declared dead by then, duh

My opinion is the opposite. 29ers will be just fine, the 26" will be replaced by the 27.5.
  • 12-04-2012
    rideit
    Sarcasm...meter....you must recalibrate!
  • 12-05-2012
    crank1979
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle... :D

Are you saying that it is a carbon Firebird update with a Pinion gearbox and 26"/650b dropouts? :D
  • 12-05-2012
    StuLax18
    I guess I care less about what it is and more about when we would find out.
  • 12-06-2012
    Vinno
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 40er View Post
    My opinion is the opposite. 29ers will be just fine, the 26" will be replaced by the 27.5.

As long as the majority of people range from 5 foot tall to 6 foot 5 there may be room for all sizes, the world is a big market.

I will be buying a 5.7 C next year, I love my Mach 5 but it will be 5 years old and I still like 26" wheels. I would like a little more travel and slightly slacker angles this time around while still being able to race endurance races as well.
  • 12-08-2012
    20.100 FR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    After reading the article and seeing the 29er tire in the box picture I would say a 529 is right on the money. Probably 135mm

I think this make sense.
    All the more as i asked DW on twitter about a >130mm DWlink 29er being released someday, and he said that there is "a very good chance" !

Now that Pivot have the 429c to put against Santa cruz best seller Tallboy, they could make a bike to compete against the LTc.

Living in the French Alps, i would buy a 529 in carbon with 135mm rear as soon as it is released !
    Please make it as light as the LTc, and with the geometry of the Banshee Prime (especially in size L :-)

If it takes too long to materialize, i will probably build an Ibis Ripley or a Yeti SB95 carbon before.
  • 01-02-2013
    crank1979
    Anything new?
  • 01-04-2013
    frgeoff
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    no WAY. IT IS. 29" rear, 26" front climbing bike, with just a single 36 cog on the rear, and a Schlumpf internal drivetrain. It will be for climbing ONLY.]

uphilling is the new downhilling :p
  • 01-04-2013
    iheartbicycles
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schneidw View Post
    In my situation, when I was shopping for a FS 29er, I had a chance to obtain a Sultan at cost directly from Turner, but in the end decided on the Pivot Mach 429. The Sultan was appealing because it was made in teh USA, great price, and great bike/reputation. I decided on teh Pivot because after test riding both bikes, at the time the Turner felt like it "sat tall" which I attributed to the 5 inch travel... The Pivot geometry was spot on, handled more nimble and climbed more responsively in my opinion at the time... That was early 2010 and I was new to the 29er ride. Fast forward to 2013 and I have already (2011) swapped out the 100mm fork for 120mm becauase I was using full travel and notice that I am using full travel in the rear, making me wonder if a 5 inch travel FS DW Link bike really is the way to go....

where's my chile peppers???
  • 01-12-2013
    2BeerJoe
    650b, around 6" of travel, like the one Kevin was riding at Somo?
  • 01-12-2013
    dog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BeerJoe View Post
    650b, around 6" of travel, like the one Kevin was riding at Somo?

if i were Pivot and i had the capital, i would certainly be prototyping more than one platform... it seems that 29ers maybe be big today, but what if 650b is the next big thing? when the el guapo came out it did not seem like 6+ inch travel trail bikes that were meant to be used with 160mm + forks were all too common, but there there seems to be a lot now... didn't some MTB mag call the FB one of the most important bikes of the decade?:)

anyway, it's gotta be hard to predict demand...
  • 01-12-2013
    edbraunbeck
    The timing seems right for a 650B model especially for the people who bought Mach 5's in 2008. They are ready to upgrade if they haven't already. While the 5.7C is awesome, I think most people are curious about the 650 especially with what has happened with the 29er popularity.
  • 01-12-2013
    gticlay
    I still have never ridden a 29er. Not because I'm a hater but just haven't had the opportunity yet. Unless you count racing cyclocross but I don't.
  • 01-12-2013
    rideit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    The timing seems right for a 650B model especially for the people who bought Mach 5's in 2008. They are ready to upgrade if they haven't already. While the 5.7C is awesome, I think most people are curious about the 650 especially with what has happened with the 29er popularity.

ANY company not actively developing/introducing 650 right now is basically admitting defeat.
    Or retreating to 'niche' status.
  • 01-12-2013
    DLd
    650b will be the next big thing, if for no other reason than basic human psychology. Pretty much #3 in this article sums it up: The 11 Ways That Consumers Are Hopeless at Math - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic
    29'ers might be too big and slow. 26'ers don't have enough rollover. I'll pick 650b, right in the middle!
    In short: We are all Goldilocks.
  • 01-13-2013
    rideit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    650b will be the next big thing, if for no other reason than basic human psychology. Pretty much #3 in this article sums it up: The 11 Ways That Consumers Are Hopeless at Math - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic
    29'ers might be too big and slow. 26'ers don't have enough rollover. I'll pick 650b, right in the middle!

Works with hot sauces, and ski widths, too!
  • 01-13-2013
    rideit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DLd View Post

And boobs. Dont ever forget boobs.
  • 01-13-2013
    StuLax18
    I always ask for medium at Taco Bell and they give me mild!
  • 01-13-2013
    rideit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I always ask for medium at Taco Bell and they give me mild!

That's why they have fire sauce in the little packets.
    Put a 180 fork and 2.4 tires on it, and call it 'caliente'!
  • 02-04-2013
    btibben
    Newest 'bird WILL be a carbon with a 95% chance of 650b-ness. I'm just adding my opinion to the multiples out there.
    Somebody should have done this in a poll though.

But come to think of it, a pedallable 7.5-8" AM bike would be FUNominal.
  • 02-04-2013
    OriginalDonk
    Looks like Dave just posted another tweet February 1. No guarantees they're Pivot products as I imagine he's got Turner and Ibis steeds in the mix.

"So much carbon, so much 29er, so much 65027.5(.25), so much DH, so much XC, so much XC!, some AM, SO MUCH TESTING TO DO!"

Word is that Turner has a carbon 29er in the pipeline. I imagine Pivot and Ibis are both pushing 650B projects. Wonder where the DH is coming from and I know the AM following is huge. Sounds like he's involved in a few things.
  • 02-05-2013
    edbraunbeck
    I'm guessing we'll not see anything in the 650B variety until next year. They took two years to test the 429C which means they probably have prototypes at there now.

If they did have something coming this year, they would seem to be leaking more information out. Maybe taking the Apple approach and leaving one behind by accident at the trailhead.

Just my theory and I hope I'm wrong.
  • 02-05-2013
    StuLax18
    Hmm I don't think I noticed anything when Chris Cocalis showed up to the demo day in early January. I wouldn't exactly know what to look for either.