Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 99
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    53
    If Pivot offered a carbon 5 to 6 inch travel 27.5" wheeled bike, then I'd buy one this second!

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by dielectric lab View Post
    If Pivot offered a carbon 5 to 6 inch travel 27.5" wheeled bike, then I'd buy one this second!
    Yeah, I probably would to but I have my doubts that's what it's gonna be

    Pivot's in a catch 22 situation with the Carbon 5.7 I think. Thing was just got released for 2012 and now do you hope it continues to sell while your competitors offer 27.5 bikes or do you also release a 27.5 model while the fire is hot and probably kill the sales of the 26" version? (with all the tooling costs for the carbon molds) While the 5.7 is super sweet I think plenty of potential buyers now (me included) are waiting for a 27.5 model and if it's not this new yet to be disclosed bike will shop elsewhere. I could easily see a carbon (650?) Firebird or longer travel AM 29'er as strong possibilities also but I'm hoping for a Mach 275.

    How about some more info from Pivot on our day of Thanksgiving and sharing
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  3. #53
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by dielectric lab View Post
    If Pivot offered a carbon 5 to 6 inch travel 27.5" wheeled bike, then I'd buy one this second!
    well, for me, it would also depend upon its geo, bb height, chainstay length, tire clearance, and a few other specs, but yeah, that would be my first Pivot purchase.

  4. #54
    Grand Master Jedi
    Reputation: RaptorAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    151
    Actually, Chris specifically mentions the 529 in a recent interview:

    http://pivotcycles.com/timbh/chrismbainterview.pdf

    If I were a betting man, I'd say he's got a 529c in his hands... Which makes sense given the market enthusiasm for trail-bike-29rs.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HighTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    727
    Some of you guys are pretty close! Esp those guys wanting a 8" travel 4" wide fat tire snow bike.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    Actually, Chris specifically mentions the 529 in a recent interview:

    http://pivotcycles.com/timbh/chrismbainterview.pdf

    If I were a betting man, I'd say he's got a 529c in his hands... Which makes sense given the market enthusiasm for trail-bike-29rs.
    After reading the article and seeing the 29er tire in the box picture I would say a 529 is right on the money. Probably 135mm

  7. #57
    DLd
    DLd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    After reading the article and seeing the 29er tire in the box picture I would say a 529 is right on the money. Probably 135mm
    I'm personally not too enthused about a 529, but that's good news for the people who are. Great article though. Thanks for the link!
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    I really (really) like the 650B wheel size and hope for a Mach 275 but the possibility of a carbon Pivot 529 could be very very tempting indeed. Especially if it could be built up under 30lbs.

    Just demoed a banshee Prime 29'er and it's a very sweet bike and was able to clear a few rock sections I couldn't before on my "B" bikes. In it's 1 x 10 demo state (which killed me) it weighed 32.4lbs. I demoed the bike more to see how the KS Link worked (awesome BTW) but the 29'er effect was clearly evident.

    A carbon, DW Link, 5" travel 29'er with reasonably slack HA could be amazing. Hope we find out soon what's brewing!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    As long as it's NOT a carbon Phoenix, I'll be happy

    You hear that Pivot? You're NOT allowed to make a carbon DH bike for at least another year or two, as my GF would kill me if I changed frames again!

    Anything else is gravy, as I'm super stoked on my 5.7C & Phoenix
    PIVOT - my wife has also put a ban on any mid-travel carbon 650b, at least until 2015. I love my Mach 5.7 C, which I bought in April and need at least 2 - 3 years to amortize the thing. If you come out with a Mach anywhere between 5" to 6" with 650b wheels, then I will cry for a few days, and then figure out how to get the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    If they come out with a 527c, why wouldn't you just sell your 5.7c (assuming you get a great price) and buy the 529c (thus transfer the depreciation to someone else) and use the funds on depreciation of your new 527c instead?

  11. #61
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,288
    I just hope it's not Firebird related. I haven't even gotten mine yet!
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonDoL View Post
    If they come out with a 527c, why wouldn't you just sell your 5.7c (assuming you get a great price) and buy the 529c (thus transfer the depreciation to someone else) and use the funds on depreciation of your new 527c instead?
    To Skidad point, if a Pivot Mach 527 (or whatever the name comes out to be) goes in the market, then the price of the Mach 5.7 - 26 will have just plumed. Just an assumption. In the end I do Mountain Biking as an incredible hobby, not looking at the finances that close, but when spending some money as I did on my 5.7 you would hope to have the cream of the crop for a few years that's all. In the end, its all good.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    48
    I frankly do not see a reason why the release of a 527 would cause a drop in price for 2 reasons:

    1) it makes no sense to release a 5.7" version of a 27.5 wheel, assuming the 650 or 27.5 made sense in the first place

    2nd) its a completely different wheelsize market, and if u wanted to attract new customers to the brand it makes sense to pull over a market which already has a strong and growing following (29"), then one that is just starting and may likely die out again soon (650b).....

    what seems more likely, would be a carbon update to existing bikes that are already tried and tested....to suddenly release a new carbon frame, on a new addition to the model line, on a new wheelsize...is one step many for a single release imo....

    Personally, im keeping my fingers crossed for a Carbon FB, or a Phoenix (unlikely i know lol)

  14. #64
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,288
    Carbon FB makes sense. They need that option IMO. I would hope it's a $1k price add-on so I won't be annoyed.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei_Ikari View Post
    I frankly do not see a reason why the release of a 527 would cause a drop in price for 2 reasons:

    1) it makes no sense to release a 5.7" version of a 27.5 wheel, assuming the 650 or 27.5 made sense in the first place

    2nd) its a completely different wheelsize market, and if u wanted to attract new customers to the brand it makes sense to pull over a market which already has a strong and growing following (29"), then one that is just starting and may likely die out again soon (650b)....
    While your right on the 29'er (and it makes perfect sense for a 529 Pivot) your way off base on the 650B and the market for it. I'm gonna guess you've never even thrown a leg over a 650B bike or briefly at most or you would know what a nice improvement it can be over a 26" bike in almost every way. If Pivot had an identical bike in 26 and 27.5 I'd be shocked if anyone bought the 26" after a good test ride on both. The improvement is quite noticeable (hense Pivot's dilema with the Mach 5.7c being so new) and I for one will have no Mach 5.7 in my future unless it's 27.5 compatible.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  16. #66
    74 & 29 pilot
    Reputation: MTB Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    While your right on the 29'er (and it makes perfect sense for a 529 Pivot) your way off base on the 650B and the market for it. I'm gonna guess you've never even thrown a leg over a 650B bike or briefly at most or you would know what a nice improvement it can be over a 26" bike in almost every way. If Pivot had an identical bike in 26 and 27.5 I'd be shocked if anyone bought the 26" after a good test ride on both. The improvement is quite noticeable (hense Pivot's dilema with the Mach 5.7c being so new) and I for one will have no Mach 5.7 in my future unless it's 27.5 compatible.
    +1
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schneidw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    368

    529?

    In my situation, when I was shopping for a FS 29er, I had a chance to obtain a Sultan at cost directly from Turner, but in the end decided on the Pivot Mach 429. The Sultan was appealing because it was made in teh USA, great price, and great bike/reputation. I decided on teh Pivot because after test riding both bikes, at the time the Turner felt like it "sat tall" which I attributed to the 5 inch travel... The Pivot geometry was spot on, handled more nimble and climbed more responsively in my opinion at the time... That was early 2010 and I was new to the 29er ride. Fast forward to 2013 and I have already (2011) swapped out the 100mm fork for 120mm becauase I was using full travel and notice that I am using full travel in the rear, making me wonder if a 5 inch travel FS DW Link bike really is the way to go....

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    While your right on the 29'er (and it makes perfect sense for a 529 Pivot) your way off base on the 650B and the market for it. I'm gonna guess you've never even thrown a leg over a 650B bike or briefly at most or you would know what a nice improvement it can be over a 26" bike in almost every way. If Pivot had an identical bike in 26 and 27.5 I'd be shocked if anyone bought the 26" after a good test ride on both. The improvement is quite noticeable (hense Pivot's dilema with the Mach 5.7c being so new) and I for one will have no Mach 5.7 in my future unless it's 27.5 compatible.
    I think this treat should jump to the 650b treat, but do want to make a point. I'm very traditional, and "short", so I ruled out the 29ers long time ago. I do acknowledge their advantages, but I'm still feel I'm faster and have much more fun on technical trails with a 26" bike than a 29er. The quick acceleration, jumps tight switchbacks etc. Unfortunately, and I say unfortunately because I'm desperately want to build the case for 26, the 27.5 don't loose any of the qualities of the 26, but does give you a slight edge on rolling resistance and traction. The 29er is a complete different bike and there is a solid market for it, so the 27.5 will not be competing with the 29er but with the 26. Right now commercial reasons will keep the 26 alive, but by seeing long travel bikes being converted to 27.5 and people actually loving it I think 27.5 is here to stay. When you see heavy hitters like Scott only offering 27.5 and 29 on their main trail bike line that must tell us something.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    No pressure, but I need to know what this new model is before I put some money down on a new bike tomorrow!

  20. #70
    Paterfamilias
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    No pressure, but I need to know what this new model is before I put some money down on a new bike tomorrow!
    Just remember everyone, that the Mach 429 Carbon was in development and in prototype testing for nearly 3 years. It's possible that what he tweeted is about something we won't even see until 2015...

    But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle...
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle...
    As long as it's carbon fiber and runs a 4.8" wide 650b tire I'll buy one

  22. #72
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerTex View Post
    As long as it's carbon fiber and runs a 4.8" wide 650b tire I'll buy one
    Exactly. With a 26" convertible option, perhaps.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Just remember everyone, that the Mach 429 Carbon was in development and in prototype testing for nearly 3 years. It's possible that what he tweeted is about something we won't even see until 2015...

    But keep on guessing what we are doing, no one has nailed it, a few of you are in the right direction, many are so far off, you might as well be telling us to make a recumbent full suspension unicycle...
    works for me. I will not guess anymore and wait until 2015!!!!

  24. #74
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by 40er View Post
    works for me. I will not guess anymore and wait until 2015!!!!
    29"ers will be declared dead by then, duh

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,160
    It's a B9'er

    29 front with 650 rear, XX1 drivetrain with no provision for a FD
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •