Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    aka greyranger

split

Quote Originally Posted by slindblom View Post
    what is a split pivot design?
    KInda like Trek's design there is a pivot on the rear axel. Not sure what the linkage looks like

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slindblom View Post
    what is a split pivot design?
    Google is your friend grasshopper

https://www.google.com/search?q=split+pivot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a

Now, any more info on what Pivot has in the oven????
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Mach 427, carbon or alu, Pivot beats the big guys to the xc 650 mkt and I sell my flux.

mtbr member
    Any more hints?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It has to be a 650B bike, I think that is a given. I would like to think it is a 650B 5.7c with maybe a slightly longer top tube and higher stack (somewhere in between the 429 and 5.7 geometry). I would like some more hints to salivate over or maybe a detail shot of the new bike where you really cant tell what it is but it would up the speculation.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    All hail the 5.765027.5!

It just rolls off the tongue.

OriginalDonk
    Weagle just posted another teaser that was noooo help at all. A top down look at a bike box with the frame covered by the build. You can't see much other than a mix of SRAM and Shimano boxes. If it were all SRAM, I'd say this tweet was about a Turner but there's some Shimano in there.

One thing does jump out at me. A 29" tube from Kenda. It looks deliberately placed. Maybe to throw people off the scent. If it is a 29er from Pivot wonder was it is. Maybe slacker 529? I dunno. Speculation continues!

https://twitter.com/daveweagle/statu.../photo/1/large

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I thought 29'ers were dead....

mtbr member
    Fun and curious thread... I wouldnt even try to speculate on what is cooking in the engineering lab at Pivot.... but, My crystal ball tells me 650b Firebird w modified angles (less slack) and put on a diet... just seems to me a perfect meld of technical strengths and a nod to the niche that Pivot is creating w cutting edge hybridized AM/XC bikes... Hey Dan, cmon now.. up the ante and instead of a pat on teh back, if a MTBRer nails it, how about a 3 month stint as a beta tester

dog
    sit! stay!
    so you're speculating the 650B that Mr. C has been discussing in various venues would be based on an FB sort of DW and not the Mach sort of DW? i supposed it could be...

if the FB were replaced by a lighter, less slack set up, that'd be kind of sad. i like the FB for it's ability to have a fox 180 for trips to a park, yet it pedal like a trail bike... Knolly, Transition, Yeti and others seem to be introducing or updating their 6+ bikes for similar applications. Kenbentit, i'm kinda hoping you won't let your mates let the FB go all XC on us
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Cassoulet forever !
    I ride my first 27,5 4 years ago now, and will not downgrade from my 29ers to this size, wich is so close to 26" (only 1cm at the radius).

We can see from the pic a 29tube and a nobby nic, so this must be an AM 29er.

I would buy a Pivot offering that would compete with Ibis Ripley or Turner Sultan, 140mm front at 68 and 130mm rear, especially if it was in carbon.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    WIll it be revealed at sea otter?

I can wait til then to find out. But speculation sure is fun..

Perhaps its a 36" wheel snow bike that pedals itself.. OOOOOOOOOH
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Got to ride the Pivot line for the first time thanks to the Pivot Demo truck being here in town today. Super impressed with the way these bikes climb on our rocky, technical trails! Rode the 429c, the Mach 4, and then the 5.7c. Been riding only 29ers for 3 years now, but surprisingly the 5.7 was my fav. My Girlfriend rode the 5.7c, the 4, then the 5.7c again. Can you guess what her new favorite bike is?

At any rate now that I have tasted the sweet flavors of Pivot I feel like I can chime in on what I think the next Pivot will be and what I wish they'd make.

So my GUESS is that DW is currently working on a Mach 529.
    Now what I WISH they'd make is a Mach 5 on 27.5" wheels and Fox would release a 27.5" 34mm fork with a travel setting at 130mm. Realistically though, I think when they do make a 650b it will be a Mach 6 (2014?). Just my two cents.

Great bikes and a fantastic crew working the demo truck!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    IMO, the Fox Talas 34 with 120/160 would be close enough, especially if you ran an Angleset....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Now what I WISH they'd make is a Mach 5 on 27.5" wheels and Fox would release a 27.5" 34mm fork with a travel setting at 130mm.
    +1000 on a Mach 5.275 or whatever they would call it.

34mm X-Fusion Slant will also come in a short travel version with shorter stanchions (to save a bit of weight) with a max travel of 130mm. Internally adjustable to 120 and 100 I'm pretty sure. Pretty dam cool IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I can't help but hope for a Mach 529 Carbon with slack angles and large tire clearance...

dog
    sit! stay!
    OK...
    so what about a kind of floating rocker FB-type bike with completely adjustable geometry (stays, rocker, etc.) for converting between 26" for park riding to 27.5" for trail riding?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They have a 429c, the 5.7 is selling well but is competing with a great group of 650b's. Lots of buzz about the Burner and many fork choices. The 27.5.7 makes sense with a better designation. DW is a busy guy.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    They have a 429c, the 5.7 is selling well but is competing with a great group of 650b's. Lots of buzz about the Burner and many fork choices. The 27.5.7 makes sense with a better designation. DW is a busy guy.
    You guys got it all wrong. Pivot will be first to market with a 6" travel 27.5 fatbike. They'll corner the market for extreme snow-riding!
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    While I completely agree with you, the Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc is dominating that market segment. I'll bet Yeti gives us a Carbon SB95 soon too...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A carbon Mach 4? no

A 4" 650b mach4.65 or something. Can it please have a slightly slacker HA than the mach4 and can you squeeze in shorter chainstays, please... and....yes... I'll have mine in carbon thanks

that would be my perfect bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget1 View Post
    A carbon Mach 4? no

A 4" 650b mach4.65 or something. Can it please have a slightly slacker HA than the mach4 and can you squeeze in shorter chainstays, please... and....yes... I'll have mine in carbon thanks

that would be my perfect bike.
    I see a bunch of guys asking for this type of bike in the 650B forum fairly often. Ultimately I think it will happen but it seems the hotter market right now is longish travel 29'ers and 140-160mm 650B bikes. I'm guessing the latter. Gotta stoke the fire while it's hot.

mtbr member
    I'm still hoping for the carbon Firebird upgrade with Pinion gearbox. 26"/650b convertible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    When you hear that Fox is coming out with a F32 650, get ready for the Mach 427 carbon. I'll save a place in line for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sure hope it's a 650b carbon updated FB. I'd buy it. A lot of riders out there ready to replace their current AM bikes that are insisting on 650b compatibility, CF, and an advanced suspension design ie not faux bar.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast