Bike Junkie

New question here. Water bottle fit on 429 Trail

Hi, I am looking into picking up a 2017 Mach 429 Trail; but experience with a Mach 4 made me think of the water bottle that might be too tight of a fit.

Anyone mounting a water bottle on a 429T have any issues? I am looking at a Medium given my height (5 ft 7").
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I used a side load Zee cage from Specialized for a few months and had no issues with clearance. I ride a medium.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/eq...i-right/116715

mtbr member
    Medium bottle fits fine. For a big bottle (like a Podium Big Chill or Polar Bottle), you might need to rotate the shock air can so the levers are on top. Makes the rebound knob a bit hard to turn, but the 3-position lever works fine. I also use the Zee cage.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    There are a couple threads on here about this topic. You can use a large bottle on this bike. It will require that you mount the shock differently. Basically mounted in the opposite direction we mount the shock in assembly. This will give you more clearance and the large bottle won't press up against the shock lever. Search the threads here, I'm sure someone has posted a photo etc.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Basically mounted in the opposite direction we mount the shock in assembly.
    Thought this was the procedure for the 429SL. The FAQ for the 429 Trail says to rotate the air can 180 degrees, putting the lever on top. As I recall, someone tried mounting the whole shock backwards, but it didn't fit in the 429 Trail that way due to the linkage design.

Bike Junkie
    I thought i spotted something for the Mach 4; but wasn't sure of the newer 429T. which I think it states this on the Pivot site for the Mach 4 - to flip the shock to get the air canister and lever/dials out of the way.

I personally tried out a Medium Mach 4 with water bottle cage and small bottle in the traditional configuration and confirmed that it made contact.
    See You On The Trails!

Bike Junkie
    yeah that would be difficult to use if you put the levers up top (facing up). Not even sure most people use the levers on their shocks these days with the suspension designs.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member

Air can rotated. Just undo the upper shock bolt and rotate the air can 180 degrees. Size medium 429 Trail.

With a standard Specialized bottle. Would fit fine with the factory arrangement.

With a 25oz Big Chill. Would not fit without flipping the shock.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The blue lever works fine. It's the black open mode adjust and red rebound knob that are tough to impossible to use. I'd suggest getting those dialed in before rotating the air can.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Bike Junkie
    that's awesome coleam! thanks for the pics and the not about the setup.
    See You On The Trails!

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    You'll notice that the bottle points up at the top. You can get extra clearance by using a spacer under the lower cage mount. I do this on my Tallboy to make it easier getting the bottle in and out.