Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    What dates will you be in Moab?
    2 - 9 Oct for sure...possibly as long as 2 - 14 Oct. Some people want to head to Frutia after a spell in Moab. I may want to just stay in Moab. Not sure yet.

Are you going to be around during that time?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Deleted posting problem.
    Last edited by vikb; 09-05-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Last edited by vikb; 09-05-2016 at 07:35 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    E13 TRS. I'm done with Maxxis. Side knobs on HRIIs and DHRIIs and DHFs are lasting about 10 rides. Sucks. Older Maxxis tires / treads were more durable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    E13 TRS. I'm done with Maxxis. Side knobs on HRIIs and DHRIIs and DHFs are lasting about 10 rides. Sucks. Older Maxxis tires / treads were more durable.
    Do you have any real width measurements for those tires?

Bummer about the torn knobs. I thought that was a Schwalbe Hans Damf specific problem.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I don't. But they're bigger than the 2.35 Maxxis offerings for sure. I'm not the only one that's had the same issues with the Maxxis tires unfortunately.

mtbr member
    I don't. But they're bigger than the 2.35 Maxxis offerings for sure. I'm not the only one that's had the same issues with the Maxxis tires unfortunately.
    Now I don't feel bad I didn't like any of the Maxxis tires I tried. Jut sold the Ardent and HRII I had.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Were those the 3C compound or Dual ply...? The Dual ply are more durable and the 3C just plain suck!!!

mtbr member
    I've had my Mach6 for about 6 months now and I just recently bought myself a Saris Bones trunk rack. Need some ideas on how to get my bike on this damn think securely... Anybody out there using a trunk bike rack with their Mach6? I may have to get a different rack? Sorry if I hijacked the thread but wanted to reach the most Mach6 owners I could for ideas. Was thinking of using one of those frame adapter bars but that pulls up on my dropper and I don't think that's a good thing.
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    I assume you have a sedan. You can get after market hitches for about every sedan out there. I'd do that and get a platform rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    Were those the 3C compound or Dual ply...? The Dual ply are more durable and the 3C just plain suck!!!
    3c.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by guppie View Post
    I've had my Mach6 for about 6 months now and I just recently bought myself a Saris Bones trunk rack. Need some ideas on how to get my bike on this damn think securely... Anybody out there using a trunk bike rack with their Mach6? I may have to get a different rack? Sorry if I hijacked the thread but wanted to reach the most Mach6 owners I could for ideas. Was thinking of using one of those frame adapter bars but that pulls up on my dropper and I don't think that's a good thing.
    The bones is nice because the arms are adjustable and you can position them to work with almost every frame. The downside is that this is only ever a temporary solution and using it frequently or over a long period of time will eventually damage your car, the panels/paint/plastic, the straps wear too so be sure to check them occasionally. If you don't care about the car and it's old, it may be fine, but it also locks you out of the trunk, unlike modern hitch racks. The bones is probably the best of these types. The saris "platform" trunk rack is just way beyond a good idea IMO, due to how much pressure it puts on the panels, but other trunk racks are much less secure than the bones. I had one for a few years.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I assume you have a sedan. You can get after market hitches for about every sedan out there. I'd do that and get a platform rack.

This ^^^. If you can't or won't do a hitch rack with trays a roof rack is the next best alternative.

If you have to carry the bike on that trunk rack and need to use the add on cross bar just make sure your dropper is fully extended and you are not damaging the dropper shaft as that will compromise your seal after a while.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just measured the E13 TRS+ on the front of my Mach 6 with the DT Swiss XMC1200 rims that came on it (23mm inside width, if I remember correctly). They measured 2 3/8" at the widest knobs, and just 1/16" narrower at the casing. I've been digging the tires. A couple of good Tahoe granite rides (in addition to lots of time on local hard pack), and the tires show no signs of sidewalk or knob wear.

mtbr member
    Correct, I have a sedan and since it's leased I'd rather not invest in a hitch. I already have a nice 4-bike hitch rack for my SUV, but alot of times my wife is out and about with the kids and needs to SUV, which is why I got the trunk rack. What I like about the Saris is that it seems to spread the load pretty well between the bottom arms and top straps. Also, I only use it for my bike so I'm keeping the weight load to a single bike (approx 30 lbs). I guess I'll get a frame bar and wrap the seat post area with a small towel and keep the post fully extended for transit. I'll try to post an update in 1-2 months.

Thanks
    00 Spec Rockhopper, 02 Giant NRS, 05 Giant VT, 08 Spec StumpJumper, 11 Giant Reign, 14 Giant Trance 27.5, 15 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Correct, I have a sedan and since it's leased I'd rather not invest in a hitch. I already have a nice 4-bike hitch rack for my SUV, but alot of times my wife is out and about with the kids and needs to SUV, which is why I got the trunk rack. What I like about the Saris is that it seems to spread the load pretty well between the bottom arms and top straps. Also, I only use it for my bike so I'm keeping the weight load to a single bike (approx 30 lbs). I guess I'll get a frame bar and wrap the seat post area with a small towel and keep the post fully extended for transit. I'll try to post an update in 1-2 months.

Thanks
    Since you are leasing you may want to consider the potential damage to the car with a trunk rack.

mtbr member
    I put an aftermarket hitch on a lease. Cost $330. Less than 1 payment and I got it approved first by Volvo.

mtbr member
    Vik's Mach 6 Builds-20160501_154751a.jpg

I just researched and apparently they don't make a hitch rack for my car (from eTrailer.com).

mtbr member

Pinch flatted the rear Conti Trail King on the weekend working some rock slabs. Not really the tire's fault as I run low pressures. However, inspecting both tires I realized the side knobs were worn enough that I needed to replace them. I've noticed my cornering hasn't been as solid lately.

I ordered a set of Vittioria Morsa 2.3" tires for the Mach 6.

My buddy uses them in the 29er size and the 2.3" Morsa looks to be the same actual width as my 2.4" TK. I like a big tire so I'm going to give them a shot.

The other contender was the 2.5" DHF. Interestingly a Maxxis 2.5" tire is smaller than the 2.3" Vittoria and the 2.4" Continental. If I rode my M6 through the winter I would have gone with the more aggressive knobs on the DHF. However, after my Moab trip the M6 will get torn down for service and then hung up until March while I ride my Nomad through our PNWet slop.

If I head to the desert for Christmas I'll grab the M6 otherwise it will take a breather for a few months.

I pedal up all my rides so a fast climber and easy rolling tire is as important to me as cornering and braking going down. I tried my buddy's DHF equipped bike and I wasn't convinced I'd be happy with how it rolled unless it was winter where our rides are far more traction challenged and usually shorter. Loved that tire for traction though.

The Morsa's shallow center knobs will roll well. I hope they provide enough traction in our summer dry dusty conditions. There is only one way to find out for sure!

Morsa review: Vittoria Morsa G+ 29 Tire Review
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Let us know what u think of the morsa and then get a pair of E13 TRS'

mtbr member
    Let us know what u think of the morsa and then get a pair of E13 TRS'
    Will do. They are on my list to try. If I don't kill a tire early it takes me a while to wear them out. Our terrain is gentle to tires.....lots of loam, dirt, smooth rocks and roots.

I'd like to get through most or all of next summer on the Morsas.

If I get a 29er in 2017 I'll start it off with the E13s.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I put my head into a low tree limb on Sunday. I haven't hit my head hard in a long time. I came out of it mostly okay....except my neck feels a bit tweaked. I'm going to take some time off the trails to make sure I am all ready for Moab.

Anyways I decide to work on the M6. The chain is toast, but looking at the XX1 cassette after 3 seasons [more than 18 months of riding] I think it's too worn to play well with a fresh chain. So I'll keep running the old chain through Moab and through a Christmas road trip [if that happens]. Then I'll put on a new cassette and chain before next spring.

I'm thinking of trying the new E13 cassette. It's cheaper than XX1 and can be replaced a section at a time. I'm in the 4 low gears 75% of the time locally so being bale to replace that end of the cassette sounds good.

Anyone used one and have some feedback before I spend the $$?

e*thirteen TRS+ Cassette - Review - Pinkbike
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My neighbour broke his neck that way while riding solo and the rode out. Dr told him that it was a stupid thing to do and he was lucky. Heal up quick. There are a few guys in the the drivetrain forum that use the E13.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    My neighbour broke his neck that way while riding solo and the rode out. Dr told him that it was a stupid thing to do and he was lucky. Heal up quick. There are a few guys in the the drivetrain forum that use the E13.
    Thanks. I was lucky. I don't think it's serious. Just a bit stiff. It could have been far worse.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quick question for you Mach 6 owners. I want to get a new rear shock. The CTD dial on my Fox Float is screwed up and since it's less than a year old, I'm going to send it to Fox and have them repair it but we all know that's gonna take about 4-6 weeks to turnover and I don't have a spare bike or shock laying around. I figured I might as well upgrade my shock and then just sell the one that gets repaired.

Any recommendations? Since I can't use a water bottle, I'd like to upgrade to a shock with a piggyback reservoir/canister but truth be told, I don't ride anything that demands it but it's nice to have (my Pivot didn't come with the Fox Float X). Or should I save some money and not get a piggyback?

Also, what dimensions does it to be? (eye to eye, stroke, etc)?

I don't really care if Fox Float X or RockShox Monarch Plus as I'll just go for the one that costs less since the performance is pretty much neck and neck.

mtbr member
    Quick question for you Mach 6 owners. I want to get a new rear shock. The CTD dial on my Fox Float is screwed up and since it's less than a year old, I'm going to send it to Fox and have them repair it but we all know that's gonna take about 4-6 weeks to turnover and I don't have a spare bike or shock laying around. I figured I might as well upgrade my shock and then just sell the one that gets repaired.

Any recommendations? Since I can't use a water bottle, I'd like to upgrade to a shock with a piggyback reservoir/canister but truth be told, I don't ride anything that demands it but it's nice to have (my Pivot didn't come with the Fox Float X). Or should I save some money and not get a piggyback?

Also, what dimensions does it to be? (eye to eye, stroke, etc)?

I don't really care if Fox Float X or RockShox Monarch Plus as I'll just go for the one that costs less since the performance is pretty much neck and neck.
    I've got no complaints with the stock Float X once I added some volume reducing spacers to make it ramp up more. It was too linear for my 190lbs + gear stock.

I was tempted to get my shock tuned by Avy, but it works well enough I decided not to bother until it needs the internals serviced. I haven't tried any other shocks on my M6 so no other points of reference.

From the Pivot Mach 6 product page:

What is the eye-to-eye shock length and stroke length on the Mach 6 Carbon?

The eye-to-eye shock length is 8.5 inches and the stroke length is 2.5 inches.

If I want to run a different brand of shock on my Mach 6 Carbon, what else do I need to know?

The Mach 6 Carbon shock uses M8 through bolt hardware on the front and no hardware on the rear. Shock spacer dimensions are 22mm wide front. On the rear of the shock, the spacer hardware and bushing will need to be removed as the strut mounts directly to the shock body. Some shocks may have a different spec then the Fox shock (that the Mach 6 Carbon is designed for) and may not fit properly. Also, as we cannot test every shock on the market, riders assume some risk if they choose a shock that does not fit properly or is not tuned correctly for the bike. The frame is designed around a large volume air can. With the Fox shock, we run a +.4 or +.6 cubic inch volume spacer in the can to reduce the volume back down. We run medium compression valving and medium rebound damping.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Got the 2.3" Vittoria Morsas mounted just a few minutes ago. The beads are tight on my LB 35 rims. These puppies won't be burping! They are not quite as wide as my TK 2.4" tires, but I don't think I could get a 2.5" Morsa into the rear of my M6. For reference a 2.3" Morsa is about the same width as a 2.5" DHF.

The casing seems supple and minimal centre tread should roll fast.

My bike is all ready for Moab. I'm packing my **** this weekend as I try and crush as much work from both jobs as I can to make my time away less painful!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks that pretty much sums it all up. With that being said, can you point out a Float X on ebay for me that has the exact specs the stock Float X has? Without too much tinkering (because I have a tendency to screw things up) I'd like to be able to do an easy swap and be on the trail ASAP.

mtbr member
    With that being said, can you point out a Float X on ebay for me that has the exact specs the stock Float X has?
    No sorry. I'm not that motivated to search EBay for you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Anybody know if I can swap my Fox Float for this RockShox Monarch Plus Debeonair? Eye to eye and stroke are same (8.5 x 2.5). Installation-wise, I believe the rear will mount fine, I'm just not sure about the front. Do I need to install or remove anything?

RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Rear Shock 8 5x2 5 216x63 Debonair Midreb Comp 2016 | eBay

mtbr member

My gear is packed for Moab. Just need to load the car tonight after work then catch the first ferry Friday. I've been working essentially 2 full time jobs this last couple months and 1.5 jobs for the couple months before that so I am fully burnt out and ready to chill. I'm going on a strict taco and beer diet on this trip plus 1 - 2 rides per day.

Some friends went down a week early and manage to ride off a cliff breaking both elbows! Yikes. So I am am going make sure I don't do any base jumping with the Mach 6.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

My gear is packed for Moab. Just need to load the car tonight after work then catch the first ferry Friday. I've been working essentially 2 full time jobs this last couple months and 1.5 jobs for the couple months before that so I am fully burnt out and ready to chill. I'm going on a strict taco and beer diet on this trip plus 1 - 2 rides per day.

Some friends went down a week early and manage to ride off a cliff breaking both elbows! Yikes. So I am am going make sure I don't do any base jumping with the Mach 6.

Brutal. How could you have had the time to get he most important component ready - the motor?

To get my money's worth on these types of trips I try to spend at least two months getting in fighting shape beforehand.

Keep on Rockin...
    Thanks that pretty much sums it all up. With that being said, can you point out a Float X on ebay for me that has the exact specs the stock Float X has? Without too much tinkering (because I have a tendency to screw things up) I'd like to be able to do an easy swap and be on the trail ASAP.
    Get a used Float X and get it PUSH'd. Totally happy with mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Brutal. How could you have had the time to get he most important component ready - the motor?

To get my money's worth on these types of trips I try to spend at least two months getting in fighting shape beforehand.
    I rode a lot this summer. No kids and no responsibilities aside from work. I actually was happy to take a couple weeks off lately after whacking my head. I was almost burnt out from all the riding this summer.

Unless I get injured... **knock on wood** ... I can ride all day everyday for 2 weeks without thinking about it - especially at a group pace. I'm thinking about hauling my DSLR along on rides for a bit more challenge and the benefit of much nicer photos.

Edit: just so it doesn't sound like I am some super hardcore rider I should point out I ride with a pretty average group of friends and we'll have 10 riders on most rides in Moab so the pace will not be deadly. I won't be going at my max all day. I'll be more like 60% gas and we'll have lots of rest stops.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Get a used Float X and get it PUSH'd. Totally happy with mine.
    Found a barely used Float X from my friend's Yeti SB6.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I had a great trip to Moab and made it back home safe and sound. 11 days in town and 11 rides done. Hit all the classics with a couple repeats for good measure [UPS/LPS/Porc & Capt Ahab].

We lucked out with pretty nice weather. Never too hot, but not cold either except for at 11K feet for the start to TWE. Got rained on once on the first day then had dry rides the rest of the time.

This was my first trip to Moab on the Mach 6. It really felt like cheating every trail was that much easier. With extended climbs like up to Gold Bar Rim having an efficient bike was key to keeping smiling. Then with lots of sweet drops to play on coming down and big chunk to blow through having a longer travel rig was really nice. The fact I had both ends of the spectrum in one bike made it perfect for those really long days out and let me come back to camp after 7hrs feeling strong with lots of gas left in the tank.

I was on the fence about the new Vittoria Morsa tires at the start of the trip, but by the end I was liking them a lot. They lack a bit in volume and centre tread compared to my favourites [Conti Trail Kings], but once you learned to respect their abilities the Morsa's handled all, but the most gnarly stuff without complaint. As you'd expect from a semi-slick tire they rolled fast. Several times on TWE I found myself coasting and even braking as I rode behind folks who were pedalling away on their slow rolling bikes. I couldn't quite stay with my buddy who was cornering on DHF's, but the difference wasn't huge most of the time and I was able to make up time on any straight sections.

While other folks in our group had their tires sliced and diced by sharp desert rocks the Morsa's sidewalls came away unscathed. The rear tire's centre tread was significantly worn from driving the bike and braking on rough rock.

I tried the Morsas in 2.4" width. I don't think I can get the 2.5" width of that tire to fit into the rear of my M6. I think just being slightly wider would improve these tires enough I'd replace my TKs for summer use anyways. I may try a "big" Morsa just to see what happens. Worst case my GF is looking for a bigger volume tire for the rear of her Warden, which has more clearance than my M6 and would fit a 2.5" Morsa.

All in all it was a great trip. So much fun to put in long rides each day with my friends and then return to camp for beers and a campfire. Nice thing about weak beer is you can drink like a fiend and never get a hangover!

Getting to ride with a ton of different riders and bikes on the shuttle runs it was interesting to see what was what. The Mach 6 impressed the heck out of me not just because it's so capable and fun, but going head to head with other folks there were very few bikes that really got my attention. The two I dug were the SC Hightower 29er and the Canfield Riot.

After all that riding I was real happy with all my riding gear except my gloves. I developed some serious blisters/callouses right where the fingers meet the palm. To be fair my existing gloves are fine for 4 days riding+ at home, but with all that chunk and like 150 ledge drops in a ride my hands took a real beating. I'm going to look for a new pair of really well padded burly gloves for these extended trips.

On a non-bike related note it was cool to geek out on all the RVs in Moab. Virtually every style was represented with lots of different takes on the perfect nomad wagon. One of my plans for world domination is to get semi-retired soon and get a RV of some sort so I can travel around BC, Alberta, Western USA and Baja to visit my friends, bike and hit the waves. Getting to see lots of RVs in action was nice so I could evaluate the pros and cons in real life vs. checking stuff out online.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Great write up.

This past Spring was my first Moab trip, and maybe the most fun I've ever had on a bike. The trails were so much fun, both ups and downs. TWE was cool, but I really loved the ups and downs of Amasa/Ahab.

I think the M6 was made for Moab.

Trying to get back next Spring. Would love to camp at Canyonlands.

mtbr member
    Great write up.

This past Spring was my first Moab trip, and maybe the most fun I've ever had on a bike. The trails were so much fun, both ups and downs. TWE was cool, but I really loved the ups and downs of Amasa/Ahab.

I think the M6 was made for Moab.

Trying to get back next Spring. Would love to camp at Canyonlands.
    Yes Capt Ahab was great as was Hymasa such a nice climbing trail. TWE is fun for its epic character and speed, but it can be a bit of a $hitshow with tourists. I rode the TWE with a paid shuttle and then got the GF to shuttle me to the top of Jimmy Keen so I could solo down that trail and UPS/LPS and Porc. The self-shuttle was great because I missed the crowds and had the whole place to myself.

My favourite ride was Mag 7 with the Gold Bar Rim/Portal finish. So much ledge smashing fun.

The M6 and bikes of its ilk are indeed made for Moab. Efficient for the big mileage and climbs, but ready to huck and smash on the way down. That trip had me thinking that I need to stick to a one-bike-to-rule-them-all for my next rig. A shorter travel bike might be a smidge more efficient, but I think that would be a poor trade off for less capability on the downs. Especially when the M6 is such a good climber. You really pay a very small price for 6" of travel on the way down.

I didn't see one 27+ plus bike riding on the trails [and there were plenty] that made me think I want to be on it. I passed a ton of the them on the TWE. Not sure if they were just under crap riders or if they are just not well suited to the super chunk, but my charitable description of how they rolled down the trail would be - awkward. That's coming from a guy who bought the first 29+ as a bikepacking rig more than 3yrs ago.

I saw a few SC Hightowers in 29er trim that were being ridden well and a Canfield Riot. If I had more time in Moab I would have rented a Hightower for a day, but we were so busy riding and hanging out I never managed to connect the dots.

I should note that I am appreciating how great a 27.5" AM bike is will a decently wide 2.4" tire. It seems like a pretty amazing combination of roll over, maneuverability, suspension travel and durable tires. I'm a little jealous of the GF's Warden in the tire clearance department. I'm pretty sure we can get a true 2.5" tire in there whereas my M6 is maxed out on a true 2.4" tire. 0.1" doesn't sound like much, but it makes a noticeable difference in volume.

Anyways enough rambling. Hopefully we can hook up a Pivot meet up in Moab on of these days and shoot the $hit over some weak beer!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Mag 7 is something I didn't hit but am looking forward to it next time out.

Would be cool to get some of the frequent mtbr flyers to hook up out in Moab.

mtbr member
    Mag 7 is something I didn't hit but am looking forward to it next time out.

Would be cool to get some of the frequent mtbr flyers to hook up out in Moab.
    I'm always game to try and meet up. Any excuse for a road trip!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nice write up Vik. Firstly and most importantly get your beer in CO ! We fly to grand junction from the north east (via Denver) and get beer there. Secondly, I might be able to rustle up a few of our crew. 2 Mach 6s and 3 SB's and a 429T in our regular crew. Just got back from Sedona and rented an Evil Insurgent. I liked it a lot.

mtbr member
    Nice write up Vik. Firstly and most importantly get your beer in CO ! We fly to grand junction from the north east (via Denver) and get beer there. Secondly, I might be able to rustle up a few of our crew. 2 Mach 6s and 3 SB's and a 429T in our regular crew. Just got back from Sedona and rented an Evil Insurgent. I liked it a lot.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Insurgent. I think I have talked myself out of The Following due to low travel and limited tire clearance, but you never know!

I felt like a hero the first night when I pounded 6 beers and was surprised I had no hangover until I realized they were ~3%.

My peeps are planning an Oct 2017 mission to the St.George/Gooseberry Mesa/Sedona/Prescott areas over 2-3 weeks. Anyone is welcome to join as long as you can handle a mix of riders speeds.

I think I am staying home this Dec so I'll be properly stir crazy by March/April for a road trip somewhere warm and dry.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the TR vik. Sounds like you had just as good a time as I did down there. Like you, I can't imagine too many better companions than the M6 for a week in Moab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Great trip report Vik.

Just back from Moab myself where I rode my new to me Mach 6 for the first time. Picked up the frame on the way down from BC Kootenays and built the bike in the hotel room the night before the intro ride on Slickrock. What a fun bike up or
    down! Performed admirably on Mag 7, upper and lower Porc, Klondike Bluffs, HyMasa, Amasa Back and Navajo Pocks.

Cable routing is a VikB variant and is superior to the finicky Pivot set up. Interestingly, I rode the bike with my 26 inch wheels in Moab while awaiting the 27.5 builds. Pedal strikes were minimal and the bike behaved politely. Looking forward to more riding before the snow flies.

mtbr member
    Nice work Telebiker....great way to break in a brand new M6!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

So after spending 11 days straight on my M6 in Moab I had a lot of time to consider what I loved about the bike and what I would like to see in a refresh.

I should note that Pivot [to their credit] fixed a lot of my initial gripes about my 2014 M6 in the V2 updates. So I won't waste time talking about those issues again.

- make the TT ~0.5" - 1" longer for each size
    - don't make the STA stupid steep [note how many people are putting setback droppers on the SB or sliding their saddles all the way back on the rails]
    - keep CS same length or shorter and make room for a true 2.5" tire + mud clearance
    - Ideally stick with Boost for backwards compatibility for hubs, but if getting short CS and wide tire clearance require it go Super Duper Boosty Boost Plus
    - run cables externally except for dropper
    - keep BB height where it is
    - use some glue on protective bits that actually keeps them attached to the bike
    - if you can fit a bottle into the frame that would be sweet, yes that means maybe not having an ankle height TT, but it's okay we are not smashing our nuts apart each ride
    - keep the same or similar weight/carbon layup
    - keep the same or similar DW-link mechanics
    - a couple shock options for frame only purchase would be nice
    - offer a black/stealth colourway

I know the whole steep STA thing is a contentious issue. Reading the SB thread carefully it's interesting how many people noted the steep STA wasn't great for flats pedalling, pushed their saddle back all the way on the rails or used a dropper post.

I'm not suggesting designing the slackest STA possible, just find some middle ground. When you think about what's worse pushing your saddle forward on the rails a bit to get a steeper effective STA or doing the opposite it's clear that pushing the saddle forward puts your weight right over the dropper clamps vs. pushing the saddle back where your weight is levered way off the back of the saddle where it will snap the rails.

We also need to remember that you can slide your body forward on your saddle to make the effective STA steeper for those really wall-like climbs...that last for a few minutes of each ride while keeping a more moderate STA for pedalling on the flats and rolling sections.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to optimize a bike for the steepest seated pedalling sections when those don't make up much of a typical ride.

I appreciate you gotta roll with the steep STA fashion at the moment to sell bikes so just do what other companies are doing and design in a steep lower portion with a slack bend at the top. That'll report a steep STA for the geo chart and sell bikes, but when you measure at actual pedalling height the effective STA will be more moderate. Win - win!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I appreciate you gotta roll with the steep STA fashion at the moment to sell bikes so just do what other companies are doing and design in a steep lower portion with a slack bend at the top. That'll report a steep STA for the geo chart and sell bikes, but when you measure at actual pedalling height the effective STA will be more moderate. Win - win!
    I think the steeper effective seat tube angles do quite well to allow riders to be more centered on the bike climbing or in undulating terrain, but slacker actual STA up where a dropper post actually is really helps, as the long-femur crowd ends up with really only a couple of options on the steep-everywhere seat tube if they find themselves climbing steep and slipper stuff ever.

While all those suggestions are totally reasonable (if conservative - could drop half a degree of HTA, add 1" of reach, and be completely good to go), with the development timeframe I worry that integrating that into a design may still be 24 months out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    ...with the development timeframe I worry that integrating that into a design may still be 24 months out.
    I'm just spewing a bit above with my comments. The reality is the next Mach 6 [V3] has been designed and tested already. Pivot isn't going to change anything on that bike at this point. They are likely just working on the manufacturing/supply chain planning end of things at the moment as well as marketing planning.

If they were listening to design input it would be for V4 that will come out in 2019/20.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I think they could go an inch longer in the reach numbers for a given size. I don't care about ETT more concerned about reach. Id like to see a 73.5 degree seat tube also. I did find the SB climbed the same rocky, ledgy trail easier than my Mach 6 with less body English required. I would like a 66 degree head angle with 160mm fork and 0.5 to 1" shorter seat tubes. I'm 5'11" but have short legs and can only just get away with a 150mm reverb. Good clearance on the rear for 2.5 or 2.6" tires too. I think any slacker than 66 head angle and you're getting into Firebird territory. 150-155 in the back is perfect. Of all the bikes out there I'd like to try a recluse. Interesting #s.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast