Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I like the Vik Approved sticker seems like we have similar taste I also have a nomad 3. Great bike but love my M6 more. I can't decide what to do with the float x either waiting to demo a 2016 M6 to see if its worth the change. If not I'll do new link and ccdb.

I switch to Continental Trail Kings 2.4 from Hans also I like the price and grip. Only problem is my sidewalls are fuzzy and beat looking. I do ride lots of rocks, kinda disappointed in the wear.

mtbr member
    I went from Hans Dampfs to High Roller 2s. I feel they are a little undersized but seem to work well although we've had next to no rain in the north east this summer.

mtbr member
    I've got an Avy'd Float X on my M6. I've had it since Spring. It is better, but not "oh my gawd where have you been all my life better."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=vikb;12217133]

Wow my last post in this thread was back in January.
    =============================================
    w/ no one else posting either!
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    That's the way it goes.
    I guess M6 isn't as hot as it used to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    That's the way it goes.
    I guess M6 isn't as hot as it used to be.
    For whatever reason Pivot riders don't seem to get their brand stoke on like say the Knolly folks. The M6 is as good as the Warden [if not better] and the number of M6 riders is at least as big, but there is like 5% of the stoke for the M6 vs. that Knolly AM rig.

Puzzles me, but if you get jazzed by the online brand community aspect of bikes than Pivot is not great at that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Dual Squishy...
    So, why the switch in cable routing? I just built up my M6 a month ago and went with the down tube model that you had before. Did you have problems with the previous routing? At this point, my only concern is possible rubbing on the seat stay pivots by the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    So, why the switch in cable routing? I just built up my M6 a month ago and went with the down tube model that you had before. Did you have problems with the previous routing? At this point, my only concern is possible rubbing on the seat stay pivots by the seat tube.

Old pic. I just grabbed one that showed the shock since I'm thinking about doing some suspension upgrades.

My routing is still external on the DT. Has worked great and I'm never going back to internal routing on this bike.

I'm glad Pivot changed the goofy internal routing for something more sensible. It would be nice to have a factory external routing option like the new Knolly Endo has, but a better internal routing is fine.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I went from Hans Dampfs to High Roller 2s. I feel they are a little undersized but seem to work well although we've had next to no rain in the north east this summer.
    Maxxis is coming out with some bigger rubber for all those wider rims we are using:

Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR2 'Wide Trail'

I've got enough rubber in my garage to get me through 2016 so I'm not really in the market unless I destroy a bunch of tires unexpectedly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

^^ picture to prove I'm still riding the Mach 6.

I've got the bike pretty much dialled with very few complaints.

The one thing that is still bugging me is the chainline on my bike. So I figured I would throw this question out to see what ideas other M6 owners had.

My bike:

- 2014 M6
    - Cranks = RF Next SL 1x w/ RF 28T ring
    - Cassette = SRAM XX1

The Terrain

I ride very steep techy PNW trails so I am usually in my lowest 3-4 gears. Unless I travel I rarely have open fast trails to ride where I get to use the high range of the cassette.

The Problem

Chainline in the lowest 2 gears [42/36] is terrible. The ring is too far outboard of the BB pushing the chain outwards when in these 2 gears. Result is noise, crappy shifting and extra drivetrain wear. Also chain wants to downshift when I back pedal which is a hassle.

Solutions

Idea 1: get a 26T ring and use the middle of the cassette more.

- easy to do
    - cheap
    - makes the bike less versatile for travelling to places I can ride faster
    - not sure how a small ring affects DW link performance??

Idea 2: try and find a 28t ring with an offset compared to the RF rings so I can move the chainline inboard a few mm.

- Wolf's Tooth RF cinch compatible rings seem to have a 2mm offset
    - not sure if there are some other options for offset rings?

Any other ideas/suggestions? I'd like to keep costs/hassle factor low and use up the parts I have if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Vik, what Q factor are your cranks? I have the full XX1 package and the 156 Q cranks. I have had no issues with my lower 2 gears. Riding in the PNW, I too use a majority of the 4 lowest gears with a 30T front ring. Isn't the Next SL a 168? Pivot told me specifically to get a 156 Q for the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Vik, what Q factor are your cranks? I have the full XX1 package and the 156 Q cranks. I have had no issues with my lower 2 gears. Riding in the PNW, I too use a majority of the 4 lowest gears with a 30T front ring. Isn't the Next SL a 168? Pivot told me specifically to get a 156 Q for the Mach 6.
    Q-Factor is irrelevant when in comes to the chainline as it measures to the outside of the crank. So a thicker crank like the Next SL has a bigger Q-Factor even if the chainring is in the same location as a thinner crank.

What matters is the chainline. The Next SL with a RF DM ring is 51mm. The WT ring for the Next SL is 49mm so it's 2mm inboard.

My GF got the XO1 complete M6 from Pivot and she has the same chainline issues. She's since replaced the XO1 crank with a RF Turbine Cinch so whatever I end up using to solve my issue will get ported over to her bike as well.

Ultimately I'm not looking to swap the cranks on either bike as that's too much $$ to deal with when there are simple solutions like using different rings.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Strange, not having this problem at all with my set up. Thought it might be the Q Factor but I guess not. I just replaced my front ring with a new one and it made a world of difference. I had to dry lube it every 2 or 3 rides to keep it quiet and with a new chain ring, it is silent again like the day I built the bike.

I don't know enough to know if my chainline is bad, but it is is silent and have no problem shifting in my lowest gears or back pedaling. From what I understand, the front ring will go bad well before the cassette will. I just had my chain measured for stretch after around 1500 miles and it is perfect. Cassette is in good shape too, and I am riding all year around with this bike.

Good luck on fixing the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    32T Wolftooth ring is working perfectly with my RF Sixc cinch cranks and XTR 11-40 rear cassette/shifter. Also plays nice with E13 top chain guide/lower bash.

mtbr member
    I don't know enough to know if my chainline is bad, but it is is silent and have no problem shifting in my lowest gears or back pedaling.
    If you have no issues shifting/noise I would say you were good.

If you have a chainline problem it will be obvious.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmovich View Post
    32T Wolftooth ring is working perfectly with my RF Sixc cinch cranks and XTR 11-40 rear cassette/shifter. Also plays nice with E13 top chain guide/lower bash.
    Thanks. Ya I think the WT ring is my next move.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Vikb--which BB are you using? I'm using the RF 30/BB92. It was the easiest cheapest way to start. So far no trouble but I know there are others with supposed larger bearing surface, more durability, etc etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmovich View Post
    Vikb--which BB are you using? I'm using the RF 30/BB92. It was the easiest cheapest way to start. So far no trouble but I know there are others with supposed larger bearing surface, more durability, etc etc.
    The SixC has a 48.5mm chainline vs. the 51mm chainline on the Next SL so that would likely solve the issue on its own - I think. By going to a WT ring I'll be only moving to a 49mm chainline. With the same ring you'd be at 46.5mm.

I'm using the RF BB. So far I have had no issues with it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Vik, I've ordered a Garbaruk Melon ring to try an elliptical and correct my chainline. Same issues as you're having and I'll let you know how it works out. It hopefully will be here this week. As an interim measure I moved the spacer on my BSA 30 BB from the drive side to non and my chain line is better. You probably can't do that but I have an old fashioned threaded BB on the Warden. One-Up is coming out with new rings in 16 and I'm hoping they will have something that addresses this. Here is the Grabaruk.

Race Face Cinch Melon
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a XT crankset with a RF NW...after going 1x11 my chainlink sucked in the 35 and 40T. I just added some spacers in-between my chainring and cranks and my chainline is much improved.

Also looking for revised chainlink chainrings in '16, hoping my current set up holds up until they come out. If I have to I will change crankset but looking for a cheaper alternative...either the M8000 or go Cinch if I go crankset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Vik, I've ordered a Garbaruk Melon ring to try an elliptical and correct my chainline. Same issues as you're having and I'll let you know how it works out. It hopefully will be here this week. As an interim measure I moved the spacer on my BSA 30 BB from the drive side to non and my chain line is better. You probably can't do that but I have an old fashioned threaded BB on the Warden. One-Up is coming out with new rings in 16 and I'm hoping they will have something that addresses this. Here is the Grabaruk.

Race Face Cinch Melon
    Thanks Jerry. Good suggestion.

I've ordered a WT 28T elliptical ring. We can compare notes.

The WT 28T has a 49mm chainline and the Garbunk 28T has a 47.1mm chainline so if I need to move more than 2mm over from the stock RF Next SL chainline of 51mm I'll try the Garbunk.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Garbaruk Cinch Melon 28t arrived and is installed. I haven't been out for a ride yet but it fits fine and and it sits inboard about 3mm more than the RF. My chainline with the BB spacer on the proper drive side is now fine. I just installed XT 11 speed as well. May see how it handles wet mud today.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The Garbaruk Cinch Melon 28t arrived and is installed. I haven't been out for a ride yet but it fits fine and and it sits inboard about 3mm more than the RF. My chainline with the BB spacer on the proper drive side is now fine. I just installed XT 11 speed as well. May see how it handles wet mud today.
    Nice. Enjoy the ride if you get out. The rain is so epic here today I am taking care of inside projects.

My WT ring is working its way to me from the US. I'm switching to the Nomad for Van Isle winter sloppiness anyways.

But I'm hoping to spend 3 weeks+ in Moab/Sedona over X'mas and I'll take the Mach 6 for that trip.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

But I'm hoping to spend 3 weeks+ in Moab/Sedona over X'mas and I'll take the Mach 6 for that trip.
    If you have time, come 45 minutes west of Sedona and visit Prescott AZ...we've got great trails here and we have a "mini Moab" called the Dells with lots of technical riding and rock features.

Just a taste...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwnLwULXhEM

mtbr member
    I took my Mach 6 to Prescott and Sedona a few weeks ago. It did awesome. Such an amazing technical climber.

And what the guy above recommended, check out Prescott if you have time. I rode the Constellation Trails. What a technical masterpiece.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Prescot suggestion I should have time to explore.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Just shipped my GF's Float X off to Avy for modding. Feeling jealous. I'm the one who is supposed to have the most bling'd out bikes in this house.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just shipped my GF's Float X off to Avy for modding. Feeling jealous. I'm the one who is supposed to have the most bling'd out bikes in this house.
    so get "yourself" an 11/6. you'll be back on top
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    so get "yourself" an 11/6. you'll be back on top
    I have no idea what an "11/6" is???
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have no idea what an "11/6" is???

WHAAAT?!? go to the "PUSH" site & check it out. don't tell your wife
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    WHAAAT?!? go to the "PUSH" site & check it out. don't tell your wife
    Nice. If I had the $$ I would have sent my Float X to Avy with the GF's so a $1200 shock really isn't in the cards.

I'll just have to appreciate her shock for now.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    ya, it's a spendy piece, but mighty nice.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I send my ccdb cs tuned Xoneracing for 380$

mtbr member
    Avalanche is where I would send my shock and it's ~$299USD + shipping. I can't really justify that at the moment when the shock is otherwise working fine.

That's the problem with being consultant....sometimes it's raining money and sometimes it's not.

At the moment I'm building up a bit of a stash so I can weather a dry spell I see coming at me financially. On the plus side I should have more free time to ride in the new year until I get more work lined up.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Vik,

I ran across this in the derailleur forum. I remembered you said, you had problems with your shifting. Read this and see if this helps.
    XX1/X01 Shifting Problems? READ THIS!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcslv View Post
    Vik,

I ran across this in the derailleur forum. I remembered you said, you had problems with your shifting. Read this and see if this helps.
    XX1/X01 Shifting Problems? READ THIS!
    Thanks for the link.

I got my Wolf Tooth offset chainring in, but I haven't installed it yet. I want to see if simply moving the chainline over towards the NDS of the bike solves my problem, but if it doesn't I'll try adjusting the B-tension screw with the bike sagged.

Thanks also for the reminder. I've been riding my winter bike and forgot that I need to work on the Mach 6 before I head to UT/AZ at Christmas.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    No problem. I'm just waiting for my Mach 4C frame show up.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to relay a great customer service story.

Craig from Avalanche Racing had my GF's Fox for an upgrade to his SSD system. Saw this thread and tracked down a replacement cap from one of his customers. Got the cap shipped to him and provided to us.....for free.

That's awesome.

I was an Avy fan based on the performance of his product, but going above and beyond to help someone out is the icing on the cake.

Figured I'd pass this story on for anyone looking for suspension work.
    I am reposting this ^^^ from a suspension thread. Getting great CS from a company is worthy of sharing.

My GF's Float X had the reservoir end cap go MIA. I was shocked to find out a new one was $110CDN from my LBS.

So I posted on MTBR asking if anyone with a dead shock wanted to sell me an old cap they didn't need.

Craig from Avy came to the rescue.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I installed an elliptical Wolf Tooth 28T ring on my M6. Partially because I was curious about the elliptical benefits, but mostly to cure crappy shifting in the lowest 2 gears.

The WT ring is well machined and finished. It looks like a quality product.

My riding is typified by steep slow techy climbs followed by hold-on-for-dear-life steep techy downs. I don't pedal a ton on the downs so my chain stays in the easy gears most of the time hence my small ring and want good shifting at the low end of the cassette.

The WT ring is offset towards the NDS a lot more than the stock RF ring. That makes for a better chainline in low gears. Just doing a backpedal test The chain now stays in place on the 36T, but still drops down one in the 42T. That's better than before.

I won't get a proper test ride in until I am in Moab next weekend. I'll report back after that. I'll pack the old round ring just in case I hate the elliptical.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Got the GF's Float X back from Avy and installed on her bike.

Sadly she won't care about how awesome it is beyond the fact that her rear suspension works properly again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    My friends swear by the elliptical rings. I will be sending my shock off to Avy once snow comes. For what it's worth I can back pedal in the 42 cog out back and no skipping. I have a 32 upfront. Stock XX1 setup

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    My friends swear by the elliptical rings. I will be sending my shock off to Avy once snow comes. For what it's worth I can back pedal in the 42 cog out back and no skipping. I have a 32 upfront. Stock XX1 setup
    Could be my RF crank's chainline? WT is saying stock with the RF is 51mm and their rings give a 49mm chainline.

The stock XX1 is supposed to have a 49mm chainline which should be the same as what I now have, but obviously it's not if you aren't having the issue.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    FWIW I have 2 seasons [spring/summer/fall] on my Race Face PF BB. I checked it out as I was swapping in the new ring and it still feels "like new" smooth.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Elliptical chainring here also

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Delete
    Last edited by Wcslv; 12-21-2015 at 03:43 AM.

mtbr member
    I remember the elliptical chainring from the early 1980's on my Ross Mt. Hood. Back than that was the big thing. I think they were called Biometric rings.
    Shimano Biopcace rings had the elliptical rings oriented exactly opposite to the current batch of elliptical chainrings. The easy part of the stroke was when the cranks were level and the hard part of the stroke was when the cranks were vertical.

So it was an entirely different product. They were not particularly popular they just showed up on a lot of bikes for a moment due to Shimano's OEM presence.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm going to be in the PHX/Tucson area the next few days. If any locals want to ride drop me a line.

I'm thinking of dropping in on Pivot in PHX tomorrow to see the Mothership. No specific plans beyond that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Vik's Mach 6 Builds

I remember the elliptical chainring from the early 1980's on my Ross Mt. Hood. Back than that was the big thing. I think they were called Biometric rings. I guess everything does come around again if you just wait. I guess the next thing to come back will be the "Bar Ends". I will have to go and look in my old parts and see what I can sell. Does anyone have use for studded tires from back than. 300 sheetmetal screws per tire does wonders on the ice & legs if you fall.
    Nope. Nada. Fail.

It is funny because once you do a bit of research on these you quickly see folks such as yourself who all say the same thing as if there is some kind of violent hatred for oval chain rings - and who haven't done any research on the matter which would reveal in about 15 seconds what the other poster called out. The clocking (orientation) of these are 90 degrees off the original Biopace. It makes a MASSIVE difference. They are also narrow / wide for that matter.

What if I told you (Morpheus voice on) that you don't pedal in perfect circles no matter how hard you try?

And what if I told you these new oval chain rings are easier on your lower back, knees, and ham strings?

What if I told you that these oval rings make climbing feel like you are in a lower gear but are going the same speed?

What if I told you that these oval rings give you better traction on loose steep technical climbs?

What if I told you they are easier to spin up after a pedal check?

What if I told you on once you spend a week on these that circular rings appear a little out dated and feel odd?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Pretty funny how quick you you jump on someone, even though I didn't say anything bad about them. So, why don't you sit back and drink a beer and relax. I had the name wrong, oh well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Vik, what tires are you running in phx.

mtbr member
    Pretty funny how quick you you jump on someone, even though I didn't say anything bad about them. So, why don't you sit back and drink a beer and relax. I had the name wrong, oh well.
    I think equating these with "bar ends" is kind of a tell on what your view of oval rings is. You may have tried the bar ends. Have you tried the new oval rings?

mtbr member
    Vik, what tires are you running in phx.
    I haven't got to Phoenix yet, but I am running Continental Trail Kings in 2.4" width. They are my goto tire for everything. Other than trying some Scwhalbe Hans Damfs for a year I've had TKs on my main trail bike for ~5yrs.

The TK's are cheaper than the HDs and last 4 times longer. When the HDs are new I like how they ride a bit better, but once the side knobs tear they are not great.

I got my first set of TKs on a trip to Sedona a number of years ago and fell in love right away.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Got my first real ride in with the elliptical ring.

Took less than 60 seconds before I forgot it wasn't a round ring. Doesn't feel weird at all to ride.

My shifting is a lot better with the narrower chainline and I'm running 1 cog smaller than I normally ride in the rear.

Without being able to swap back and forth with a round ring it's hard to give an accurate assessment of how it feels to climb with the elliptical ring. It doesn't seem any harder and I feel like I'm staying in a bigger gear longer, but those are fine details that you can easily fool yourself about so I'm not quite ready to say anything concrete.

Chain got thrown off on the front once, but it's a brand new chain and new ring so I'm hopeful once they get to know each other they'll stay connected.

Overall I wouldn't swap to an elliptical ring if you have no issues with your round ring, but if you need a new ring anyways you might want to check out one of these elliptical rings.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    sucks that they dont make the trail king like they used to. when i had them in 26 they were sturdy, set up tubeless decent and would last a long time. now they hardly set up tubeless, shred easily and wear out quickly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    sucks that they dont make the trail king like they used to. when i had them in 26 they were sturdy, set up tubeless decent and would last a long time. now they hardly set up tubeless, shred easily and wear out quickly.
    I haven't had any tubeless issues with either the Trail King or the HD. The Trail Kings I've had seem to wear well and I get multiple seasons out of the them vs. a couple months for the Hans Damfs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Got a Tucson action shot. Doing my best to keep the rubber side down and to minimize the cactus spines I had to pull out of me!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm going to ride Tucson one more time today and then head to Phoenix tomorrow. Going to check out the Pivot Mothership when they open in the morning and then ride National Trail.

So far the riding and hospitality in AZ has been stellar.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Made it to Sedona after a quick stop in Phoenix to ride National Trail and visit Pivot HQ.

I got a tour of Pivot's facility and got to chat with a few people including Chris C. It was nice to see that the company was growing and the huge pile of product in the warehouse was impressive.

Got to ride National with a crew of locals that were kind enough to show me around. [Photos mostly from Tucson]. It was a great trail. I can see that it would be super fun once you had a chance to work out all the lines and come up with your preferred flow.

National took its toll on my Mach 6. I pinch flatted my Conti Trail King and I broke a nipple on my rear wheel. The TK was easily plugged and pumped back up, but the nipple didn't get noticed until I was heading out for a ride on X'mas day when no bike shops were open.

^^^ My one National Trail photo. I was too busy spinning pedals to snap photos.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

∞~∞~∞~∞~∞
    Hey.... I remember those pics!!!

It was great to meet you Vik.... and hopefully we'll cross paths again soon!

until then, be safe, have fun, and take care~
    Rick~
    Rick~
    16' Superfly 9.6
    Tucson, Az.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyTrail View Post
    Hey.... I remember those pics!!!

It was great to meet you Vik.... and hopefully we'll cross paths again soon!

until then, be safe, have fun, and take care~
    Rick~

Here is a photo after you demo'd my Mach 6 where you were thinking "Man I should really get me a Mach 6 or 429 Trail and support a local AZ bike company!"

Thanks for the hospitality. You made the Tucson leg of my trip a lot more fun.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    I spoke too soon. Turns out that in addition to putting a hole in my TKs I blew the casing out along a decent section of the tire. It developed a serious wobble that wouldn't work within the relatively tight confines of the Mach 6's rear end.

I guess TK's ain't Arizona tough.

I threw a High Roller II on the back for now so I can finish up the trip. I've never run Maxxis tires before so it's a chance to try something new.

TKs do well at home so I'll likely get another one for the rear at some point.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Told ya man. There are much better options out nowadays. I was a trail king user for quite awhile until I tried other tires. Maxxis tires are great although I don't love the high roller at all. A lot of maxxis tires are kinda small but The minion dhf and dhr are great. I'd like to try a minion ss and that new tomahawk. Although the ss and tomahawk are only like a 58 erto.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Vik,

How is that Shelter Tape holding up. Have you had any problems with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Vik,

Good to meet and ride with you guys. Let us know next time you head down to Preskitt, Sedona or Phx, look us up...til next time.

Vik's Mach 6 Builds-vik2.jpgVik's Mach 6 Builds-vik1.jpgVik's Mach 6 Builds-vik3.jpgVik's Mach 6 Builds-vik4.jpgVik's Mach 6 Builds-vik5.jpgVik's Mach 6 Builds-vik6.jpg

mtbr member

Thanks for hosting us in Preskit Andy!

You have some really sweet riding locally.

The ladies had fun and were glad to see some other women riders in the crew.

I don't think it will be hard to get folks stoked to make another visit happen.

I'm keen to come back when I can focus on my riding and get good at all the rock tech you've got.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Great posts Vik....interestingly enough, I'm heading out to ride AZ for the 1st time in March. I'm actually going to look at property in Prescott in February but probably won't ride so I'll have to head back to PHX in march to get some riding in

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    I threw a High Roller II on the back for now so I can finish up the trip. I've never run Maxxis tires before so it's a chance to try something new.
    Maxxis is the only way to go in the SW. DHF/DHR preferrably, although DHF/HRII isn't bad.

I have >1,000 miles on a Wolftooth oval, it's good stuff and reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Great posts Vik....interestingly enough, I'm heading out to ride AZ for the 1st time in March. I'm actually going to look at property in Prescott in February but probably won't ride so I'll have to head back to PHX in march to get some riding in
    Thanks...I didn't see much of Prescott itself so I won't comment on that, but I can say the trails we rode and the people we met were both really top notch. I'm looking forward to spending a good long time getting to know the trails better next time I can get down.

Enjoy your trip[s].
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Maxxis is the only way to go in the SW. DHF/DHR preferrably, although DHF/HRII isn't bad.

I have >1,000 miles on a Wolftooth oval, it's good stuff and reasonably priced.
    I'm going to get another TK for my M6 once I get home, but maybe I'll grab a set of Maxxis tires and keep 'em as my SW desert rubber. I can mount 'em up before each trip and they should last a long time since I'm usually down here only 2-3 weeks at a time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Enjoying the last couple days in Sedona before we head back to Vancouver Island and moisten-bike season.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You guys are more than welcome to come back anytime. If you come out for a couple days we can show you more of what Preskitt has to offer...good stuff everywhere. Enjoy the rest of your vacation and take care driving back.

Andy

mtbr member
    We've had fog rain and sleet for a week. I thought I left England to escape that weather. My Mach 6 and I are 4th from the right.
    Vik's Mach 6 Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1451530102.955602.jpg
    Local grom. Amazing rider and just 12. It's great that a lot of us now get to ride with our kids.
    Vik's Mach 6 Builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1451530152.107085.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-man View Post
    You guys are more than welcome to come back anytime. If you come out for a couple days we can show you more of what Preskitt has to offer...good stuff everywhere. Enjoy the rest of your vacation and take care driving back.

Andy
    Hey Andy,

There is no doubt we'll be back to visit Prescott next time we are in AZ. We loved all the rocks and cool lines to play on. We want to get familiar enough with some of the trails we can keep our speed up between tech sections and get our flow going.

Thanks for showing us around. It was appreciated and you are always welcome up in BC.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Made it back to the island late last night after an epic 2 day drive.

Realized my XX1 cassette was worn out on my M6. At least the 3 big cogs are. That's where I ride most of the time on the island, I'll usually be cranking up steep tech in a low gear or holding on for dear life as I bomb down not pedalling. There is very little fast flowy stuff where I am pedalling to keep speed up.

Any thoughts on replacement? I'd like to keep costs down and it needs to be compatible with my XX1 der and shifter.

The E13 9-44 TRS+ cassette looks decent at $300. Gives me bigger cog and big 3 cogs are replaceable which means I should be able to maintain the setup for $100/yr probably. Weight 320g.

Sram XX1 cassette = $260 at 260g

SRAM XG-1150 cassette = $107 at 394g
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Vik: To my knowledge, SRAM and the new Shimano cassette spacing is the same. I ran an XX1 rear cassette with a Shimano M8000 11-speed der. and it worked perfectly. I imagine the reverse would be true as well in your case. The 11-speed Shimano stuff is dirt cheap.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Vik: To my knowledge, SRAM and the new Shimano cassette spacing is the same. I ran an XX1 rear cassette with a Shimano M8000 11-speed der. and it worked perfectly. I imagine the reverse would be true as well in your case. The 11-speed Shimano stuff is dirt cheap.
    Good to have options!

Shimano XT 11 speed is $96 at 433g.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Except, of course, I wasn't considering that you have an XD driver and probably need to stick with SRAM stuff. Disregard. I'm off to ride.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Except, of course, I wasn't considering that you have an XD driver and probably need to stick with SRAM stuff. Disregard. I'm off to ride.
    I run Hope hubs on all my bikes so I should have a spare non-XD freehub kicking around.

Since the SRAM XG and Shimano XT are about the same cost. I probably would stick with SRAM though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

With a bunch of rides in on the new oval ring I thought I would comment on it again. The enhanced chainline is appreciated and I will buy rings with as much or more offset to the NDS of the bike.

As far as the ovalness of the ring goes I can definitely say there are no downsides and it only took a moment to get used to pedalling the different shaped ring.

I'd love to give you a definitive answer as to whether it's a significant improvement over the round ring it replaced, but I'm finding the changes too subtle to get much contrast on. If I could setup two identical bikes with both types of rings and swap back and forth I'd be able to tease out the differences, but as it is all I can say is the oval ring works as well as the round ring for sure. If it works better than the round ring it's subtle enough not to pop out at me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the report Vik. I have been interested in these. So what you are saying is, if I am getting a new XX1 ring for $50 online once a year, have never dropped a chain in 2 years of riding on my current set up, and am happy with my drivetrain, I should probably just keep doing as is?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report Vik. I have been interested in these. So what you are saying is, if I am getting a new XX1 ring for $50 online once a year, have never dropped a chain in 2 years of riding on my current set up, and am happy with my drivetrain, I should probably just keep doing as is?
    For sure. If you 100% happy with what you have I don't feel like the oval ring is something next level you have to try or you are totally missing out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2016 M6 Carbon questions

Hello All

Hoping to get some expertise / advise from this group.

Looking at a 2016 M6 CF and trying to leverage existing components to cut down on costs.

Crankset. I have a fairly new XT M8000 drivetrain groupset with a regular single ring xt crank 50mm (non-boost). Will this work or do I need to get the xt Boost crankset.

Dropper Post. I have a perfectly functioning KS Lev dropper post (external routing). I know Pivot states internal dropper for the 2016 but I'm wondering if any of you creative types have been in this situation with the 2016 and have you made an external dropper post work... if so how did you route the cabling.

All advise is welcomed.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The non-boost crank on a boosted bike will just mean the chainline will be 3mm closer to the non-driveside. On my Mach6 that would actually improve the chainline in the lower gears where I spend most of my time.

I ran all my cables/hoses externally except the dropper, but there is no problem doing so. You can just use zipties or you can get some stick on cable/hose guides if you want a nicer looking setup.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Excellent thanks Vic. Nice bikes!

Do you have any pics of the stick on cable house guides , and/or know of where someone can pickup some up? A

Couple more questions if you don't mind.
    - What type of protective material/tape did you put on your carbon bike(s) and where do you get it.
    - How do you like your bash guard? I can see the value with a 2x or 3x setup but have you found it necessary with a 1x?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankarms View Post
    Excellent thanks Vic. Nice bikes!

Do you have any pics of the stick on cable house guides , and/or know of where someone can pickup some up? A

Couple more questions if you don't mind.
    - What type of protective material/tape did you put on your carbon bike(s) and where do you get it.
    - How do you like your bash guard? I can see the value with a 2x or 3x setup but have you found it necessary with a 1x?

Thanks in advance

Stick on cable guides ^^^

Problem Solvers Stick-On Cable Guides > Components > Cables & Housing > Cable Guides | Jenson USA

I used Shelter Tape in areas I figured rocks might impact the frame. It absorbs the most energy and is the most protective, but it's also the most expensive and quite thick.

Shelter Downtube Adhesive 2 Pack > Accessories > Bicycle Protection > Misc. Bike Protection | Jenson USA

I bought it in a roll so I'd have lots to work with as I was doing 2 bikes.

For areas where thick tape wouldn't work [suspension linkage area] or wasn't needed I used a variety of the Lizard Skins protective film. It's more for abrasion than impact protection...although it would be better than nothing if your carbon frame was being hit by a rock.

Lizard Skins Frame Patch Kit > Accessories > Bicycle Protection > Misc. Bike Protection | Jenson USA

^^^ also comes in long rectangular sheets for top tube shoe protection.

I ride particularly rocky areas and my 1x chainring mounted bash guard on my other bike is really chewed up. If you look closely on my M6 you'll see the taco style bash I use is chewed up as well. Now it's clearly bigger than the 28T ring I am using so you could argue the rocks might not have hit my BB or ring, but I am not eager to find out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Awesome Vic, thanks for all the great information.

mtbr member
    Got my Mach 6 out for its 2nd ride of the summer this weekend.

I thought my XX1 cassette was worn out due terrible shifting and the chain jumping around, but it turned out the cassette was fine. My Hope Evo Pro2 XD driver had blown all its bearings resulting in a severe cassette wobble.

Once I fixed that my shifting was minty fresh. Not bad starting season #3 on what's known as a fragile drivetrain. I do change my chain frequently. Well before it reads "replace me" on my chain wear gauge.

I left my suspension alone since I got back from Sedona and it was way too hard. Maybe due to the hot temps yesterday. I was banging along like a jackhammer. The ride was too hard and fast for me to get my pump out and make adjustments so I just suffered and told myself pro riders use stiff suspension and I just needed to go faster....LOL...worked for everything, but the steep techy climbs. I blew a few I should have had.

I dropped my pressure front and rear by 10psi did a quick sag check and it looked good. Slowed the rebound a touch on the front as well. I won't know until I ride this week, but I'm already stoked to feel the difference.

I also ran my tires a bit harder. My usual pressure is like 18 psi front/20-21psi rear. I bumped it up 2-3psi both ends. Honestly I didn't love it, but it's hard to be sure with the stiff suspension. I'm going to shoot for a 19psi/21psi and see what happens.

Although it was great to be back on my "good" bike I want to feel the Mach 6 magic and my shitty setup so far has not delivered, but I'm confident one or two more shake out rides and I'll be dialled for the summer.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Vik's Mach 6 Builds

Glad your shifting is fine. I am running the same xx1 grouppo that I got in 2012. Just replaced the chain. I go through hub bearings regularly.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

While I had my Hope hub apart I replace the main bearings in the hub itself. They were not too bad, but I could feel them starting to get a little crunchy and I'd rather just get everything done now and have a trouble free summer of shredding.

Good to hear your XX1 is rocking and rolling that long. It's not cheap so a long life makes the investment that much better.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I've been getting the Mach 6 out lots since I fixed the rear hub last weekend. Got away from town for 2 days of riding and some camping during the week. Mid-week stuff is the best!

Softened both ends of the suspension quite a bit. Not sure how it got so hard other than the cold[er] temps I was riding in at Christmas vs. hot[-ish] days now. The bike is now riding like I remembered and loved.

I also dropped the tire pressure and traction is back to normal. I really don't want to damage my carbon rims, but if that means my bike has to ride like crap it's not worth protecting them. OTOH this is season #3 and those rims are pretty much minty when I run my hands over the edge of the rim. So I am probably worrying for nothing.

My Reverb is starting to get sticky when it comes to lowering, but pops right back up. I'll get it serviced shortly. I got a Reverb for my winter bike and they have the same size seat tubes so I can swap over and not miss any riding.

Shifting is 100% since I fixed the XD driver. It's finally shifting like a $1K+ drivetrain should!

I'm excited for a really great summer of riding. I just need to remember my clear sunglasses for the dust. Our trails went from winter slick to deep summer loose and dusty in about 2 weeks. Unbelievable!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

The GF's Mach 6 is trucking along. We've had the Reverb sent away for a total overhaul. Pumped a fresh load of Stan's into the tires.

She ditched the stock stem and swapped in a 15-20mm shorter RF Atlas stem to help her further back on the bike for the downs.

Her Avy'd shock is working well. It's hard to get any feedback from her about it other than "...it doesn't feel broken...", but she's riding strong so it's doing its job.

She's liking the low gearing she can get with the RF splined crank. Those Spikes are in bad need of new bearings. I've got a pile of Spanks I need to service. Time to get on it!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Also posted in bikepacking, but I figured this might interest some Pivoteers who don't frequent that forum.

Looking back over the last 15yrs+ my bike touring setups have steadily moved from heavy to lighter and from paved to dirt.

The OMM rack I'm trying out above is part of a plan to make my Krampus even more ready to attack singletrack.

Well the other idea I'm keen on is to be able to tour for a couple days on my FS long travel bike self-contained or many days with resupply stops.

Long travel and slack angles means tackling rough steep techy terrain becomes an option that's fun...not just survivable. Assuming I can pair down my gear enough to deal with a bike that's not framebag friendly.

So I'm working on the setup you see above with my Pivot Mach 6.

Of course as I get an even lighter enduropacking rig working well there's no reason not to go back to the Krampus and put it on a diet for a lot of rides.

One thing I can say for sure is that everytime I've downsized my gear I'm smiled more as I pedal.

For my first kick at the cat I didn't want to go too extreme in terms of minimal gear to see how things would shake out. So I pretty much packed all my usual bikepacking gear less stove/fuel and cooking kit.

I have a complete solo UL tent, sleeping pad and bag. Full set of tools and spares. FA kit + InReach. GPS, headlamp and batteries. TP and toiletries.

Enough dry food that I can leave on day 1 ride all day, camp and ride all day 2 before getting back to resupply.

In practice I probably would do this kind of tour alone due to the likelihood of injury and/or bike damage in techy terrain. So I can split tools/emergency gear.

I also wouldn't likely take a tent. I'd either go with a tarp if I am solo....or the footprint, poles and fly of my 2 person UL tent for a deluxe tarp shelter.

All that to say this is the max I'd ever carry.

I packed the bike and took it on one of my favourite loops that showcases a solid selection of coastal BC terrain....think rocky rooty rolling terrain to start with lots of tight turns in the trees....then a smoother climbing trail to gain elevation with periodic rock features to get up....lots of big rocks at the top to punch over and down...and a solid downhill of steep loose dirt...with lots of turns, small drops, steep rock rollers and roots....with a few wooden structures to deal with.

What I would call middle of the road for our local trails. Not deadly or crazy strenuous, but not easy for very long...especially coming down.

How did it work?

I'm of two minds...on one hand it was so capable I couldn't help smiling. I rode all the same lines I do unloaded and I made every tech section on the trail. I walked the steepest most demanding climb more for a sense of caution than it couldn't be done...I'm too old to get hurt on a test run!

Looking at it the other way the weight in my pack [which was mostly bulky light stuff other than water] definitely affected my riding. While I rode virtually everything including the drops it wasn't full attack mode. Perhaps that's not realistic for a bikepacking setup, but I'm really keen to go through my gear and drop my pack weight significantly [ditch tent and some cold weather gear] as well as attach more to the bike.

I feel like I am not far off the promised land where I can shred at nearly normal levels [on middle of the road gnar] with camping gear....that will be awesome!

I've got some local tour ideas in mind to test out a lighter setup and prove the concept further.

I know I am not breaking any new ground.....but for me this is pretty exciting.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Memories of Sedona. I'll try and bring this dirt back to AZ when I hit the road south this fall.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Got 4 solid rides in this weekend up in Cumberland. The Mach 6 is performing as well as I remembered and every time I have the balls to let her run she works better and better as the speeds climb.

I saw my first cougar on the trails this weekend [think big cat not Samantha from sex in the city]. So close I could have spit on it....which I didn't! I just kept on riding!

The M6 is getting the suspension at both ends serviced today. I'll add more volume spacers in the rear as I want more ramp up so I can run lower pressures for a supple initial stroke and then ramp up to prevent bottoming out.

I started a bike maintenance log for each of my bikes so I don't have to try and remember when I worked on each component last. Might be a bit excessive, but I think it will be handy!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great report Vikb. I gotta get up to your neck of the woods and check out the trails up there. I went from the stock Fox Float X2 to a CCDB and went from 275 psi down to 150 psi. Works well.

Is that picture of the cougar from your ride, or just some random pic?

mtbr member
    Is that picture of the cougar from your ride, or just some random pic?
    I grabbed that photo from someone's Tinder profile.

I just kept on riding!

Once this shock needs major service I'll send it to Avy for a SSD rebuild. It seems to be going strong so I'll just keep it lubed and refresh the seals as needed.

I've pondered a new shock like the CCDB, but I'd rather put the money towards a new 29er! Not right away, but one of these days.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Awesome weekend at Hornby Island with the Dirt Hombres!

The Mach 6 was more bike than what was needed, but it's great as trail bike when stuff isn't full enduro.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

EXORCIZE
    The M6 is getting the suspension at both ends serviced today. I'll add more volume spacers in the rear as I want more ramp up so I can run lower pressures for a supple initial stroke and then ramp up to prevent bottoming out.
    Have you ridden since the service? I'm wondering if the shock (with more volume spacers & less air) will be more supple in the initial stroke.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Have you ridden since the service? I'm wondering if the shock (with more volume spacers & less air) will be more supple in the initial stroke.
    I have 4 rides post service, but 3 out of 4 are on trails I only ride one weekend a year so not ideal for comparing performance on.

I want to tell you it's better now, but the difference isn't so dramatic I am willing to bet on that. Also the shock is freshly lubricated now so it probably is running a with less friction than before the service.

I'm back to my normal trails for the next two weeks so I'll have a better sense of things after a week.

I can say for sure it's not worse than before the service.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Not a Pivot specific post, but I figured there are enough bike geeks in this sub-forum that somebody has this info...

Is a 27.5" x 2.4" Ardent a true 2.4" tire?

I'm killing the casings on rear Conti TKs way faster than normal on my Mach 6 [no issues on my 26er Nomad with same tire] so I am starting to look for an alternative. The Mach 6 is my summer bike so it's used in dry dusty rocky rooty conditions.

The Conti TK 2.4" measures a real 2.4" wide on my 35mm LB rim and I like the volume so I want another big tire that's reasonably fast rolling on my M6.

FWIW this will be a rear tire. I'm not having any issues with the front TK.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast