Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Setup the GF's suspension tonight and tire pressure. Made notes and sent her a PDF so if she's away with the girlz riding and needs to get back to a setup that will work she's got one.

Tried to approach CTD with an open mind, but it's proven to be pretty useless.

C = pretty much a full lock out we'll never use

T = is okay in the softest setting for fireroad climbing

D = is fine for most techy riding

For the love of God give me a blue compression dial with 15 clicks of adjustment I can actually use instead of 2 useful setting options.

Rant over...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

With my GF's M6 pretty much done It's time to finish mine off.

- setup suspension
    - need to apply protective tape to frame
    - sort out cables in shock area [both bikes]
    - de-logo

It's going to be soggy all weekend so I'll be riding the old bike and tinkering with the M6.

The internal cable routing is so goofy. All the good ways of sorting them out require me to wrap something around the TT anchoring the cables to the underside of the TT and keeping thrm off the shock. Off course that looks crappy. So much for the "clean" look.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Vikb, please post bigger pic of your awesome build!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aphis View Post
    Vikb, please post bigger pic of your awesome build!!

Sorry no decent photos today. Had to work late so it was dark by the time I got around to messing with the M6.

Got some protective tape applied and some custom decals. Wet weekend ahead so I'm going to figure out the cable routing on both bikes tomorrow.

I'll get some better photos while I am doing that.

FWIW:

- weighed my complete bike [Large M6] with pedals = 27.7lbs
    - weighed my GF's small XO1 M6 with pedals = 28.8lbs
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That visco-elastic tape is intriguing. I wonder if frame manufactures would consider coatings or paints with those properties, at least on the downtube and bb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    That visco-elastic tape is intriguing.
    Carbon is very stiff. That gives it that laser like precision that folks like. The downside is it's brittle. So protective tape - particularly the energy absorbing kind like Shelter Tape can offer some much needed protection from point loads [edge of a sharp rock] that carbon can't normally endure and spread the load over a wider area.

The challenge is it is expensive and adds weight....it's also not easy to apply over complex shapes like the BB area, but works really well on straight flat sections like the DT or seat/chain stays.

So far I have put a section of Shelter Tape on my DT starting right above the black Pivot guard and running to the HT junction. You don't need to cover all the way to the HT, but it's fairly think so I thought having that edge stop 3/4 of the way up the DT would end up peeling as I grab the bike there when carrying it.

I'm going to stick some on the bottom of the BB. Not sure how well it will stay there, but I can always peel it off if it starts to look ragged.

Other areas I've thought to install it is the two seat stays and the non-driveside chain stay.

We used some Lizard Skin protective DT tape on my GF's top tube to protect from shoe scuffs when she gets on/off her rig.

I have some 5mm automotive track day protective tape shipping to me that's not as protective as the Shelter Tape, but cheaper, lighter and easier to form to complex shapes.

I'm going overboard on this for sure. Part of my process is just to see what works and what doesn't for interest sake.

Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    TI wonder if frame manufactures would consider coatings or paints with those properties, at least on the downtube and bb.
    The big advantage bike companies have is that they can buy custom made rubber pieces in bulk and they have models for the specific bikes they want to protect. I'd be happy to buy a set of colour coordinated silicone rubber guards from Pivot that fit my M6.

For individual owners you have to buy tape and then try and apply it to your bike which is not easy in spots where there are funky shapes. It's just cost effective for an owner to get anything custom done.

My Race Face cranks came with silicone rubber boots to protect the ends of the cranks. Keeps me happy and gives RF a high-mark up accessory to sell me when the stock one wears out or I want a different colour.

I think the problem is that bike companies are busy and these type of product are just low on their priority list. What could work is Pivot teaming up with an accessory company like Lizard Skins. Pivot gives LS the shapes they need in a computer model and LS creates a custom Pivot protection kit with tape and rubber bits sized to fit your model/size of bike. LS sells a $$$ product and gives Pivot a licensing fee for the model info.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this to happen, but it's not crazy talk either.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

My Mach 6 is mostly done.

Custom decals for rear of frame and wheels are on their way. More protective tape, but you won't see it unless you do uber close ups.

160mm Pike + Hope hubs and Light Bicycle 35mm rims + Continental Trail Kings in 2.2" width

Custom fork decals for some low cost bling!

203mm XT rotor + XTR brakes

Chris King headset + Race Face 65mm stem + RF Next bars 740mm wide. I'll give it a month and then cut the steerer down.

Ergon grips + Reverb RH control mounted upside down

Protective tape at HT and on DT

I'm a leather saddle guy [Selle Anatomica on my Nomad], but I thought I would try a plastic WTB saddle to see if I can handle it [I don't wear padded bike shorts]. It's pretty and it's lighter than my go-to SA saddle. Time will tell.

Personalized decal + still need to protect shock from cable rub when suspension moves

3D printed DM mount cover. I'm going to paint it light blue. Still need to dig around my parts bin for a M6 bolt.

RF Next SL crank w/ protective tape + 28T ring [I have a 30T ring as well - will decide what to stick with over the next month] + Blackspire taco bash guard + RF Atlas pedals

XX1 drivetrain + new decals coming to de-brand the rear triangle and to bling out the rims

180mm XT rotor + XTR brake
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Absolutely gorgeous build, anyone who hates on the blue mach 6 is just jealous because its one of the best looking blue bikes I've ever seen. I have a couple questions if you don't mind, first how did you get those custom decals from rock shox and what kind of grips are on your gf's bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    slikgraphics.com
    You can see their logo on his fork crown.

Nice build vik. How are those grips feeling so far? Going to order a pair. Oh, and surprised you went 28 on the front? I think you should be fine with 30, I'm going to try the 32 for AB/BC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Also how do you like those 35mm wide LB hoops? I am so torn between building a set of these or just getting ENVE's and sadly my biggest reason for wanting ENVE's is because I think they look cool. Are the LB's just as good?

mtbr member
    There is nothing special about the Enves unfortunately. Easton uses ballistic carbon but the Enves are a standard layup as far as I know. Also the LB rims hookless beads which makes a big difference in strength since it is usually the sidewall that fails.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Wow I wasn't aware of that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Congratulations Vik!!! Fantastic bike!!! Where did you get the 740 mm next bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maindog View Post
    Congratulations Vik!!! Fantastic bike!!! Where did you get the 740 mm next bars?
    Thanks. My Nomad has been a great bike, but there are a bunch of things I am looking forward to with the Mach 6.

My RF bars a some of the flat wides Next bars. Got 'em at Jenson. The spec says 720mm, but the ruler says 740mm measured tip to tip.

***Edit*** - just realized with the Ergon grips on there that could be the reason the bar is measuring wider. I wouldn't have thought they'd add 10mm per side, but perhaps?

My current Nomad bars are 700mm, but I'm going to roll with the 740's and see what I think. I can always cut 'em down.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmedic View Post
    Also how do you like those 35mm wide LB hoops? I am so torn between building a set of these or just getting ENVE's and sadly my biggest reason for wanting ENVE's is because I think they look cool. Are the LB's just as good?

I'll have a review of these wheels ready at the end of the summer. The one person I know that rides ENVE and LB rims says he can't tell the difference between them.

At $200/each delivered for LB rims and great warranty support from LB I can't see the value in ENVEs.

I currently run 35mm wide Velocity rims so I know I like the width.

The LB rims also setup tubeless easier than any other rim I have worked with including Stan's.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmedic View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous build, anyone who hates on the blue mach 6 is just jealous because its one of the best looking blue bikes I've ever seen. I have a couple questions if you don't mind, first how did you get those custom decals from rock shox and what kind of grips are on your gf's bike?
    Fork decals are from Silk Graphics. Very nice and very easy to deal with.

The grips on my GF's are Race Face grips. Race Face
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Nice build vik. How are those grips feeling so far? Going to order a pair. Oh, and surprised you went 28 on the front? I think you should be fine with 30, I'm going to try the 32 for AB/BC.
    I have been riding 32T x 36T on my 26er Nomad for more than a year. Recently I went to 30T x 42T on the Nomad and that's nice for sustained steep fire road climbs.

I suspect I can go with the 28T or 30T and be fine on the M6. Since my riding is steep tech I figured the 28T means a better chainline most of the time. I rarely pedal on the downs locally, but when I travel that becomes more important. Swapping rings is trivial so I'll probably use both at various times.

I love Ergon grips in general. I'll need a few epic 5hrs+ rides on these before I can comment specifically, but I have yet to meet an Ergon grip I didn't like [when properly matched to the application it was designed for].
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow! Great work!
    This bike is simply stunning!

Dissolved member
    Wow, congrats, what a nice bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I love Ergon grips in general. I'll need a few epic 5hrs+ rides on these before I can comment specifically, but I have yet to meet an Ergon grip I didn't like [when properly matched to the application it was designed for].
    Yeah, I've been running the GE1s for last couple seasons, will be nice not to have the huge collar on the outside…although I'm sure my pinky fingers have been saved a few times from it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great looking build Vik. Interested to see what you are going to do with some custom decals. If you are interested in taking a look, I have some nice custom Pivot decals I had made up for my Derby rims, just haven't decided if I want to put them on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You both have absolutely two beautiful builds! Very nice. I just have a couple of questions for you. What was the deciding factor in going with the Hope Hubs, were Hedleys considered? I want to race this year in the Enduro Series in BC, what are your thoughts on running the LB's or Derby's? Would they hold up? or would you go aluminum say Velocity or Syntace 35?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Great looking build Vik. Interested to see what you are going to do with some custom decals. If you are interested in taking a look, I have some nice custom Pivot decals I had made up for my Derby rims, just haven't decided if I want to put them on.
    For sure I'd love to see them. I'm just going with some geometric shapes. My goal is to have some colour on the rims so they pop when we take riding shots in the dark forest.

Last thing I'd do is put more Pivot logos on my billboard errr bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkhünd View Post
    You both have absolutely two beautiful builds! Very nice. I just have a couple of questions for you. What was the deciding factor in going with the Hope Hubs, were Hedleys considered? I want to race this year in the Enduro Series in BC, what are your thoughts on running the LB's or Derby's? Would they hold up? or would you go aluminum say Velocity or Syntace 35?
    I can source Hopes cheaply. I have used Hopes to good effect in the past. They are easy to service and adaptable to nearly any hub standard.

By using all Hope hubs all my spares and interchangeable which is a beautiful thing - so I never considered Hadleys.

I did consider E13 hubs: TRSr hub | the hive

But having all the same hubs just makes more sense than chasing some element of tech innovation.

I can't tell you if LB rims will hold up because I'd need 2-3yrs of use to give you honest feedback.

I can say that I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't think they'd last and if I hadn't read good user feedback.

I would run LB, Derby, Velocity or Stan's rims without hesitation in an enduro race series. Use some sensible spokes and big enough tires with enough pressure to protect the rims and I can't see an issue.

Having said that any rim or bike part can fail under hard use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the info. Keep sending the beautiful picks as you dial it in! What's a good spoke count for the LB rims, 28 or 32 ?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast