Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Took the new Mach 6 for a spin...

Took a completely stock Mach 6 (besides stem) for a rip down the trails of Sandy Ridge here in Northern Oregon.

Bike is very very easy to adjust to and become comfortable on which is a mega plus! I can NOT wait to get one of my own!

I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How does it climb? Concerned the head angle is to slack for climbing...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah I would like to know how it climbs compared to a carbon 5.7.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Any info on price point for the Mach 6? Complete/frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    Any info on price point for the Mach 6? Complete/frame?
    My lbs said 6300 for the xo1 and around 6000 for xt/xtr. didnt ask for other builds as those are the ones I am interested in.

Edit:
    Thats with the ks integra post and fox float x btw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Frame MSRP $2999.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Frame kit,Float X,Fox Float 34,HS and BB,3700.00.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Frame MSRP $2999.
    Links? Thx
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Frame kit,Float X,Fox Float 34,HS and BB,3700.00.
    Is that MSRP?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Links? Thx
    Don't remember where I saw that but Pivot also quoted me that price. OUCH!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just did a pre-order for a Large frame and it was $2999 with the Fox Float. Still trying to determine if it comes with a headset as well.

mtbr member
    I wish you could get Pivots with Rockshox. For anyone wondering, the new Pike is a freaking amazing fork.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    Just did a pre-order for a Large frame and it was $2999 with the Fox Float. Still trying to determine if it comes with a headset as well.
    Was that the Float X?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree. I spoke with my LBS and Pivot is a Fox shop. If there was an opportunity to order a Pike or Slant, I probably would have bought the bike with a build kit. Same thing with the Float X, I would prefer the new CCDB DB Air CS as well. To confirm, yes, they are coming with the Float X.

mtbr member

I agree. I spoke with my LBS and Pivot is a Fox shop. If there was an opportunity to order a Pike or Slant, I probably would have bought the bike with a build kit. Same thing with the Float X, I would prefer the new CCDB DB Air CS as well. To confirm, yes, they are coming with the Float X.
    Did they give you a time frame for delivery? I'm thinking about placing an order soon.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    End of October, but wouldn't be surprised if it goes into November. All the early orders that come out at the end of August are medium frames only from what I was told. Very excited about this bike. I demoed the bike 2 weeks ago and it is sweet. I haven't read a bad review yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I originally was thinking the Pike,but after chatting my LBS owner and they are a certified Fox service shop he explained the changes in 2014 Fox forks are deemed worthy of a try with the improvements they made and is tuned to the Mach 6 and would back it up if not satisfied.he is going to pull it apart and make sure all is kosher when it comes in with frame.good as it gets...my LBS is the shite!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That info could have swayed my decision. I lost a lot of confidence after the 2013 line of Fox shocks. For the amount of money I am spending on this bike, I want the best possible equipment I can have and want to be able to choose the components I feel will perform the best with this bike. I didn't want to play the game of spending $1k on a fork I did not like and then having to replace it with another brand.

mtbr member
    The 2013 CTD forks were a disaster. Everyone was talking about how they severely dove under braking and such that the descend mode was basically worthless. Yet they consistently got great reviews in magazines. Fox completely revamped the tune for 2014 to help it sit higher in its travel and not dive excessively. Now that they've changed em, all the reviewers are saying how much better they are and list the issues they had with them. Bike journalism is very shady. At least you can get a 2014 damper in a 2013 fork...at a cost.

The Pike is an awesome fork and it's lighter and cheaper. The Fox Float X looks nice but it's way expensive for what it is (a float with a piggyback reservoir). It's almost the price of a double barrel air. I can't help but think the Pivot frames and build kits would be several hundred dollars cheaper if they had gone with Rockshox.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Agreed. I wish they could open up their option list a bit. I would have gladly paid $200 more for a DB Air CS, or paid the same for a CCDB and Pike combo compared to a full Fox build. I have to believe they could be making more profit allowing consumers to buy full builds vs. forcing a certain percentage of us to buy a frame build only. I am pretty sure I could only get a few hundred selling that Float X on eBay and then buy a DB Air CS. It would end up costing me a good $300-$400 after the fact to upgrade to that shock which really hurts when I am already spending $6k+ for a full build. It would have been nice to just order it on a frame kit or better yet, a full build.

I am really gun shy on anything Fox right now based on long term reviews from 2013. You are right on with the bike journalism. Puts a bad taste in your mouth when you find out different info down the road.

mtbr member
    I am really gun shy on anything Fox right now based on long term reviews from 2013. You are right on with the bike journalism. Puts a bad taste in your mouth when you find out different info down the road.
    Yes and excessive fork dive is something that is scary and dangerous on our trails, with many stair-step technical features. Not to mention it sucks in corners. I had this problem even on my previous non-CTD Float RLC. So what do you do? You up the PSI or tune in a bunch of low speed compression which makes the fork feel crappy on small bumps, or in the case of the CTD where you don't have much adjustment, you run it in trail mode all the time, which also makes the fork feel crappy and less sensitive....OR you take the fork to PUSH and pay extra to get it to ride how you want cause you don't want to blow money on a new fork.

I will say the new Pike is so smooth, yet never dives and returns so quick to high travel without bucking you. It tracks so well. It uses all of its travel frequently, yet doesn't blow through it too easily and I'm barely using any compression damping.

Still the 2014 Fox stuff does seem to have it sorted (I suppose time will tell) and at least you can upgrade the 2013 stuff with the new damping cartridge. You still have less adjustment over your settings though.

Last year was tough for FOX, with their new CTD damper being universally called out as being underdamped, and air spring changes that left their forks using too much travel far too often. How could a suspension company that has nearly always got it right all of a sudden get it wrong? ''Going into the 2013 development we received a large amount of feedback from OE customers and end users commenting on not getting full travel and having too much feedback in the arms on 2012 and previous model forks,'' Mark Fitzsimmons, FOX's Race Program Manager, explained to us. ''We addressed these comments and the end result is how the 2013 34 fork performs.'' To us, it sounds like a case of going a bit too far in one direction. The minds at FOX have been responsible for some very impressive products though, and they weren't about to raise the white flag and call it a day. FOX's 2014 32, 34, and 36 fork platforms may appear unchanged at first look, but internal changes to both the air spring and the CTD damper mean that they are essentially new forks that address the complaints of 2013. We travelled to Hood River, Oregon, to gather some first impressions of their 2014 Factory 34 TALAS CTD Adj fork and the new Factory Float X CTD Trail Adj shock.
    Speaking at the Sea Otter with Fox Racing Shox's Mark Jordan, we learned that from now onward, all Float 34 CTD forks with strokes over 120 millimeters, and all Float CTD shocks will have new, more aggressive compression tunes. It seems that the folks at Fox finally heeded rider feedback about the 34 fork riding low in its travel and diving under braking. The new tune ads both low and high-speed compression damping forces to the stock tunes and a reconfigured air-spring provides slightly more rising rate. Mark says that the result is a smoother feeling fork that requires about five PSI less air pressure to attain a stable ride height - and far less dive in the fork under all riding conditions. Playing with the fork reveals that there may be truth in Fox's claims. We will report back soon after some proper testing, but from the small feel we got at the Otter, the 34 will be back on the must-have list this season.
    Funny how none of the mags or websites listed this going into 2013. Bike Mag even had it as their Editor's pick in last year's gear issue.
    LMB

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Mike Levy of PB called out the 2013 Fox CTD as being complete **** multiple times. I've mentioned it a few times too in reviews but not as often as he did
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    I originally was thinking the Pike,but after chatting my LBS owner and they are a certified Fox service shop he explained the changes in 2014 Fox forks are deemed worthy of a try with the improvements they made and is tuned to the Mach 6 and would back it up if not satisfied.he is going to pull it apart and make sure all is kosher when it comes in with frame.good as it gets...my LBS is the shite!
    Get the Pike regardless of what your LBS says. He obviously has a horse in this race as a service shop. I had a '12 RLC FIT Kashima on my AM bike, and it was absolute **** as small bump compliance was nonexistent. I've heard similar from people on '13 CTDs, and I doubt that '14 improvements will be as good as a Pike. Fox is no longer The Man when it comes to front suspension.

mtbr member
    ^^^^X1000

Everyone seems to forget that the 2012 Fox 36 Float was total crap as well. Now we have three different compression tunes in 3 years from Fox compared to the RS Pike that has gotten 5 star reviews from everyone that has ridden it (I have ridden it and it is as good or better than everyone says). Why even take the chance at this point?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Mike Levy of PB called out the 2013 Fox CTD as being complete **** multiple times. I've mentioned it a few times too in reviews but not as often as he did
    Must have missed your take Lee. I always thought your reviews and articles were legit though, FWIW. I'm reading that bike mag editor's choice on my tablet and laughing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 08-21-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    LMB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast