mtbr member

Took my Firebird out today with the Double Barrel Air

I have the aluminum rocker and if you turn it so the can is HIGH as it compresses, the shock moves out and away making more room. I left the settings about how I had it on the NomadC but had to bump the psi up a little for less sag.

I have to say, it rode really well. Obviously needs a little less psi in the air spring and I would like to fiddle with the settings a little bit but it really rode well, jumped well, and soaked high speed trail chatter up nicely.

I used less than full travel on the shock so it seems to play nicely with the Firebird bottom out wise (as in I couldn't bottom the shock out). It also seems to climb better than the Nomad with the DBA on it. The DW schtuff kicks in and keeps the bike from bobbing too much where the Nomad seems to get a little squishy when climbing. So far I'll give it a
    Last edited by gticlay; 05-06-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Can you post a pic with it on the FB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    Can you post a pic with it on the FB
    Sure thing Hangtime! BTW, hadn't ridden the Firebird in a while for a variety of reasons and MAN I MISSED IT. I love the 'bird - it's just so balanced and has endless travel. Anyhoo.... nor more blathering from me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took my Firebird out today with the Double Barrel Air-bigbirdfull.jpg  

Took my Firebird out today with the Double Barrel Air-dbabird.jpg  

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Ok, so I was under the impression that the DBAir did not fit the bird. Is it just with the carbon rockers that it won't fit? Can you compare it to a DHX Air on the bird, just wondering if it's worth the $$ to switch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    Ok, so I was under the impression that the DBAir did not fit the bird. Is it just with the carbon rockers that it won't fit? Can you compare it to a DHX Air on the bird, just wondering if it's worth the $$ to switch.
    I think it would hit the carbon rocker as it's very bulgy around the main pivot bearings. It's been soooooooooooooooooooo long since I've ridden it with the DHX-air I cannot compare the two. Plus it was only about 2 1/2 hours of riding and it was a little over-sprung. Basically I need more time on it. Just lowered the psi and looking forward to a little more time in the saddle. Probably won't be tomorrow as my legs are toast after riding Sat and Sun this weekend.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Very cool! Also been curious about an FB with a double barrel. Make sure to update us as you ride it more and get it dialed.

mtbr member
    Here is how the shock moves up (see how the rebound knob "appears" at full compression) and out (see how the top moves away from the bearings):

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Here are a couple of pictures with the shock bottomed out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took my Firebird out today with the Double Barrel Air-compresseda.jpg  

Took my Firebird out today with the Double Barrel Air-compressedb.jpg  

"It looks flexy"