Thread: tiggs

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

tiggs

For some reason I can't get the pm system to send you a note so in response to your query...

I ran an RC4 for a while and just came away feeling that I don't ride aggressive enough to make that thing move properly! 175lb rider 300lb spring fully open yada yada. It's race oriented pure and simple. The MX van r on the other hand is ultra gooey. It's so gooey in fact that after 6 months of use I'm sending it back to get it firmed up a notch. The damper is seemless in its rebound and compression circuitry and is ultra quite. The fat bottom out bumper makes for a sweet smooth ramp up too. I just got my RP back from push as the rebound quit working (race tune) and will be riding that while the MX is out for adjustments.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

You'll love the RC4

Quote Originally Posted by tiggs
    Jodd, thanks for the response. Wow, a 300lb spring at our weight! I didn't think I'd need to go that low! I've got a used, but unused, RC4 on the way and it's coming with a 450lb spring. I went ahead and picked up a used 400lb and 350lb spring, but I didn't think I'd need to go any lower than that. Only one way to tell though! I did have a RC4 on my 303RDH and now I have one on my 951, but I lucked out and both springs were spot on.

In other news, I've got a demo Vivid Air sitting in the garage! Once I pick up some reducers (I've got Enduro needle bearings on the FB) for it, I can test it out this week! At this point, I'm not sure the huge air can is going to fit, but I'll find out once it's on and post pics for those who are interested. I don't want to like it since it's so expensive! Lol.

I'll keep the MX tune in mind if I don't like the RC4, but I'm sure it's gonna be fine and blow the socks off the RP23 that I've been beating up! After riding coils for the past of couple of years, I wanted to like air shocks again, but it's not cutting it.
    It really is bomber I just prefer a more active suspension. I demoed an Ibis HD with the Vivid air and really liked it very plush and smooth with the option to really firm it up! Just got back from a 5 hour ride on the bird with the pushed RP and absolutely loved it. It is surprisingly smooth, just leave the rebound parking lot slow and the control and tracking is sweet. It makes the bike feel faster and more aggressive with no rear end skipping out in the turns and chunk. The big hit bumper inside kept me from ever feeling like it was clanky at the end of the stroke. Also mid stroke support is quite nice, much better than stock. Gaa so much good stuff on the market right now.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Me so jealous. I want to try a Vivid air.
    "It looks flexy"