Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Sorry for the slight OT, but I'll bring it back to the M6 at the end...

The wallowy feel is a common complaint of the longer travel SC VPP bikes. My Nomad exhibited that and it was one of my only dislikes about the bike.

I sent my shock to Avalanche and told Craig what I didn't like about it. He rebuilt it with his SSD [speed specific damping] internals. The Nomad was a new bike afterwards. Lots of mid-stroke support. More poppy off jumps and I could set it and forget it. I'm not up on all the suspension magic about SSD, but it's perfect on the climbs, flats and DH sections without messing with any adjustments [Pro Pedal, etc...]

If I had bout a Bronson I'd get the shock Avy'd before the first ride.

Okay...M6 content:

Avy is now offering rebuild kits for:

- Fox 34's
    - Fox CTD shocks
    - Fox Float X
    - Pikes [both a new cartridge and rebuild the charger cartridge with avy part]

That should cover most M6 builds.

I'll be sending away my rear shock and Pike to get Avy'd next winter after a season of riding. I wish I had done my Nomad sooner!

Interesting...

The rear suspension on my TBLTc has given grief from day one. Love the bike, hate one thing about the suspension. It blows through the first 4/5 ths of its travel like it wasn't even there. Put spacers in the shock and helped just a little. Bought a second shock with a smaller air can and helped just a little.

Really liked the bike otherwise but I'm ready to either go to a CCDB, Avy or PUSH treatment. Emailed Avy and got similar info as you did. Sounds good, but I am itching to try a CCDB.

M6 v. Bronson. When I pulled the trigger on the M6 it was affter some detailed discussion with someone "in the know". Given my distaste for how the VPP felt he recommended the M6. I liked the M6's geo better anyway, but do like SC's threaded BB and cable routing - so it was a toss up. Whether or not the suspension feel was a product of either the VPP or the Fox I don't know. Maybe both. Regardless, I heard the M6 did not have that issue, and I didn't want to spend the first few months on the Bronson trying to remedy another rear suspension issue. So my M6 is supose to be shipping soon.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    When I chose between M6 and the Bronson-C, I'd already owned a Bronson aluminum. I was also able to order a Bronson-C frame-only without shock from SC for a pretty great price (about half of what an M6 frame retails for).

I had a fantastic test ride on the M6 on a well-known trail system here in Phoenix. I did have to ride a large and, at 6'2, I should've been on an XL. Overall, the M6 is a tremendous bike.

My XL Bronson-C is far and away the best bike I've owned. That said, I likely would have been just as happy on the Pivot.

I think the two are so close in performance that it's going to be something minor that sways someone from one frame to the other.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

Decals - holy moly there's a lot of them. 27.5, 155 mm travel, 650b do not have to be decals.
    The murdered out black/red color way is the only one I can deal with on that bike. I don't know who does the graphics work at Pivot but they should go back to 80's-90's era ski gear design work. Fugly. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Seat tube angle is slack at 71.5. The modern bike is much better off with a 74 degree seat angle to make the pedaling position ideal. And since 99% of these bikes will have a dropper post, the seat is out of the way anyway during descending.
    Agreed.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here is what is wrong withe Mach 6: The color options are terrible. Where is the green used in the 429C? Where is the Solar Orange from the Les? How about the white/blue from the Phoenix. The blue is a nice color, but the black is not my favorite. C'mon Pivot, would it kill you to give us more color options? Even options you use in your other bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Here is what is wrong withe Mach 6: The color options are terrible. Where is the green used in the 429C? Where is the Solar Orange from the Les? How about the white/blue from the Phoenix. The blue is a nice color, but the black is not my favorite. C'mon Pivot, would it kill you to give us more color options? Even options you use in your other bikes?
    +1 - I would love a white M6 and I would take the 429 green no problem, but elegant non-Power Ranger decals please. Having to put your brand marketing lingo on the bike in 8-12 places reeks of insecurity. It's a great bike with a unique silhouette one Pivot logo on either side of the DT and a nice headbadge is all it needs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Re: Tell me bad things about the Mach 6

+1 - I would love a white M6 and I would take the 429 green no problem, but elegant non-Power Ranger decals please. Having to put your brand marketing lingo on the bike in 8-12 places reeks of insecurity. It's a great bike with a unique silhouette one Pivot logo on either side of the DT and a nice headbadge is all it needs.
    I agree.

mtbr member
    Thanks for pics Francois. Hope the knee heals soon and your able to hammer that new bad boy of yours, looks tits and fully dialed.

I test rode a Sight C last week and was pretty impressed how snappy, responsive and pedable it was, but still good on square/sharp hits and chatter. My only qualms was that I used the travel a little too easy even with <30% and had harsh bottom out on frame with only +3 foot drop (but was to flat). In general, bike feels like a quick, sharp handling trail/aggro XC bike to me, not quite AM worthy, but they have Range for that.

I very much have been oogling over the M6 since arrival. Just haven't had a good trail thrashing to fully see how it does yet. Carbon frame looks stout and I like DW, but never really dug the slack STA/high'ish BB (like my old SB66 w/160 fork) and short reach in my size (love short stems too much to give them up for proper fit). Also, guys in the area have already killed the lower pivot bearings that I guess are susceptible to early wear from what I hear that are accelerated by wet/damp enviros of course. Testing in exactly 2 weeks while in Sedona, can't wait!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Testing in exactly 2 weeks while in Sedona, can't wait!
    Two words... Hi Line. Oh wait Hiline is one word. Damn it.

mtbr member
    Two words... Hi Line. Oh wait Hiline is one word. Damn it.
    Yes indeed, but for me it's usually three words..Hi-line, Hangover, Hogs!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but is Hangover fun (like hogs/hiline) or just hyper technical? The trip reports ive heard about made it sound like a gimick ride.

mtbr member
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but is Hangover fun (like hogs/hiline) or just hyper technical? The trip reports ive heard about made it sound like a gimick ride.
    I think it is rad and definitely worth a ride. Some good flow, but also a lot of exposure, so you got's to be on your game some. It is a step up in tech from Hi-line. So, if you can rally HL with no probs, then you might be fine with HO. I think it is definitely better than Hogs and not a lot of people typically on it (better than HL in that regard as well since it can get quite crowed especially with hiker traffic on Baldwin/Templeton to finish the loop). My only beef with HO is that it is a tad short and a little hard to route find thru Cow Pies at first. Last time I rode it, I did it twice with using the road to climb back up (I thought it was that good and so unique), then finish with lower Mund's back to car. Good stuff, but so many good trails in Sedona that is tough to hit them all on limited time like I usually have.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    STA comment from the Pinkbike M6 Review:

A hidden benefit of the Mach 6’’s slack, 71.5-degree seat angle is that it allows for a longer top tube without adversely lengthening the bike’s wheelbase. This makes the chassis more maneuverable, and also places the rider in a natural ‘attack’ position between the wheels. The effect is that the rider is rarely caught out of position when faced with a surprise corner, climb or descent.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Drewbird, because I'm looking at XLs in Bronson and Mach 6 as well, how did u find the fit and did you consider your seat position? Haven't been able to jump on an XL 6 but definitely prefer the longer fit of the Bronson over my 4 year old HD.
    I demoed a L M6, but was on an XL Bronson. I will buy an XL M6. So I can't really directly comment on an XL-XL comparison. I don't think the difference will be that big in the fit. The biggest diff. on paper is the taller HT and shorter reach on the XL M6. These numbers are related of course, since the taller HT moves the point at which they measure the reach closer to the BB. I was running my Bronson with ~1" spacers and an up-angled stem, so with that setup the "effective" reach between the two is closer.

Demoing the L, it did feel shorter (obviously) than the XL Bronson. I think this will mostly be fixed by the XL size. I do think the M6's slacker SA and shorter stays will put me a bit more over the rear wheel. This makes the bike fun to ride-easy to manual, snappy around turns, playful on jumps- but did make the front wander a bit on steep climbs. But I'm talking so steep they were barely pedalable. All in all, I think it was great and I'm getting one.

mtbr member
    STA comment from the Pinkbike M6 Review:
    That's a good review. I agree about the STA aspect as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Decals can't be removed. They are not stickers, they're thin and (I think) painted on so you couldn't peel them off in one piece. Same as the S.C. Bronson, Ibis Mojo and other "matte" finished bikes. After looking at all 3 colors in the flesh today I'll be going with a Stealth Carbon.
    I was at the shop checking the colors out today as well. I'll be going with the Blue.... eventually.

Kiwi that Flew

Tell me bad things about the Mach 6

Bad thing - Everybody wants one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanopatoni View Post
    Bad thing - Everybody wants one!
    +1 - but it's not a M6 thing. I had 3-4 bikes on my short list and all of them were a 3-6 month wait.

That's just the way it goes when you want a brand new popular high-end bike that's not made by the hundreds.

Living in Canada doesn't help either!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

swag ho Administrator
    +1 - but it's not a M6 thing. I had 3-4 bikes on my short list and all of them were a 3-6 month wait.

That's just the way it goes when you want a brand new popular high-end bike that's not made by the hundreds.

Living in Canada doesn't help either!
    Oh it's a Mach 6 thing. The wait time for this bike is long and about to get longer.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I know quite a few people waiting for high-end bikes and they aren't M6's. For whatever reason the supply-demand thing is out of whack for more than just the M6.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I know quite a few people waiting for high-end bikes and they aren't M6's. For whatever reason the supply-demand thing is out of whack for more than just the M6.
    I'm sure the M6 will be hard to get. I know the Ibis Mojo HD and Ripley (even after it was actually released) took forever, as have several Yetis. Even the Spesh Enduro 29er was impossible to get until quite recently (and still not easy.) Brand new carbon bikes, especially from boutique manufacturers, are always hard to get, and are usually produced and released one size at a time. These companies are working with factories in Asia that often produce other stuff and the time required to make bike frames right just means it's not that fast.

That said, with the popularity of the M6... I'd get your order in now if you want one by the summer!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I want an aluminum M6. I know they aren't available, but I'm pretty sure they exist.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP

+2

+2 Pivot r U paying attention
    GOD SPEED # 58 YOU'LL BE MISSED

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So what are we saying here, Mach6 MII will be the bike 'That Rules Them All?'

I can see Cocalis and his cohorts doing a little jig right now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISharted View Post
    So what are we saying here, Mach6 MII will be the bike 'That Rules Them All?'

I can see Cocalis and his cohorts doing a little jig right now!
    Changing the finish/decals doesn't require a redesign - just fire the art guy and hire somebody who isn't a Power Ranger fan. With the cost of carbon moulds I don't see companies like Pivot getting into fast model revamps which is a good thing. Get the bike right and then sell them for 3-4yrs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Totally, and to the max.
    After reading through this thread, I'm even more stoked that I bought mine back in October!

I won't nerd out on angles or inches, other than to say, my Mach 6 is hands down the most fun bike I've ever ridden. The moment I jumped on it, it felt like it was custom-made for me. So well balanced and holds its line so well, even in tight, fast and loose dirt.

Probably the biggest factor I noticed when riding this bike is how much feedback I get from it before $hit goes sideways. I can feel the bike start to slip out but it doesn't do it all at once and it gives me just enough time to correct position and keep going. On other bikes, by that point, the front wheel was washing out and I was most certainly going down.

Can someone explain what that's all about?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast