Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Pivotal figure
    Here's the stock headset installed on my Les (same one we use on the Mach 6). There is a small gap but the inner surfaces interlock to keep crud out. Hopefully the pic is clear enough....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me bad things about the Mach 6-headset.jpg  

Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Here's the stock headset installed on my Les (same one we use on the Mach 6). There is a small gap but the inner surfaces interlock to keep crud out. Hopefully the pic is clear enough....
    Doesn't look like there is a spacer beyond the rubber gasket.

My fork steerer isn't cut yet and thus not torqued down. Perhaps my compression ring will seat further in when I get the star nut in and I torque it all together.

If there is not another spacer that would have to be it.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Doesn't look like there is a spacer beyond the rubber gasket.

My fork steerer isn't cut yet and thus not torqued down. Perhaps my compression ring will seat further in when I get the star nut in and I torque it all together.

If there is not another spacer that would have to be it.

Thanks.
    I've run into this a few times before with a few different makes of headsets, and it just needs to be torqued down and settle in.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, the silver split washer will fit pretty snugly into the topcap once it's torqued down.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I haven't built mine yet and haven't even gotten to ride one. But the colors aren't great. I opted for paint this time since my last carbon frame was bare. The only painted one is the blue. The paint is excellent quality, however, its like a frigging billboard advertisement. Graphics of Pivot, wheel size, suspension type, patents. I'm sure this also added to the costs as well. I'm not a flashy person and I think I'll be just a bit self-conscious riding around on this frame.

Don't get me wrong, it looks nice but just a bit much for my taste. I don't think I've ever seen a frame with so much on it, besides maybe at the races for pro riders. But those factory rigs ARE trying to advertise.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    But those factory rigs ARE trying to advertise.
    So is Pivot.

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong, it looks nice but just a bit much for my taste. I don't think I've ever seen a frame with so much on it, besides maybe at the races for pro riders. But those factory rigs ARE trying to advertise.
    I agree, which is why I went with Stealth. Personally, I think it looks bada$$ and really lets the beautiful lines of the frame do the talking:Tell me bad things about the Mach 6-img_1494.jpg

Lightly salted
    . The paint is excellent quality, however, its like a frigging billboard advertisement. Graphics of Pivot, wheel size, suspension type, patents.
    I kind of feel the same way about the busy graphics. Are they just stickers, stickers clear coated or decals under clear coat? I wonder if they are easy to remove? On my HDR frame I have it in reverse P and removed a lot of the P no problem for a more subtle look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I agree, which is why I went with Stealth. Personally, I think it looks bada$$ and really lets the beautiful lines of the frame do the talking:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1494.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	300.5 KB 
ID:	871986
    Damn that thing does look badass.

One more bad thing about the M6, I can get the frame for the same price as an Uprising with the FloatX. Before the M6 was just over my budget but now we have a new dealer here in CH that's selling it for 600CHF ($675) cheaper than the other Pivot dealer (who thought he could charge a small fortune since he was the only Pivot dealer.
    Anyways now that the M6 frame is the same price as the Uprising I have a feeling I'm going to lose lots of sleep over this.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I kind of feel the same way about the busy graphics. Are they just stickers, stickers clear coated or decals under clear coat? I wonder if they are easy to remove? On my HDR frame I have it in reverse P and removed a lot of the P no problem for a more subtle look.
    They are painted on!!!

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    I got my cable routing sorted now that I have the zip tie kit.

I got the cap too for the front derailleur mount.

I've been riding the bike a ton and it is a dream. I'm not too concerned about the high-ish BB now. I ride it deep in the sag and the BB height seems just right, even for Norcal.

Seat tube angle is indeed slack-ish. A zero-offset post is key I think. I have an offset Specialized Blacklite post for now and I just filpped it around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me bad things about the Mach 6-img_2438.jpg  

Tell me bad things about the Mach 6-img_2434.jpg  

Tell me bad things about the Mach 6-img_2435.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mach 6 versatility towards the trail/xc spectrum?

I'm interested in how versatile the mach 6 is. Where I ride the trails are either grit (hard or "kitty litter" over hard) or granite. Dirt doesn't exist, I never have to clean my bike except for dust... The max vertical on any particular run is 200m, so the ride is a lot of climb up, bomb down, then climb back up again. The trails are super smooth xc type (climbs) and rough granite rock gardens and rock features (descents). Drop offs are 3 foot max. I need a new bike that balance these two the best - climbs fast and handles the rough. It sounds like the mach 6 does the downs brilliantly. How good is it on the ups? I rode a tallboy LTc the other day which seemed to get the compromise right, but I'm not a 29'er kind of guy - that bike wasn't very playful and did not want to leave the ground easily, which made the downs a bit boring.

mtbr member

Tell me bad things about the Mach 6

Francois, why are the listed specs and the pictures different on the conpare-o first look? Is the weight you publish of the bike pictured or the bike with the listed specs ? Very confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What is the largest(width) rear tire that fits on the M6?

mtbr member
    I haven't built mine yet and haven't even gotten to ride one. But the colors aren't great. I opted for paint this time since my last carbon frame was bare. The only painted one is the blue. The paint is excellent quality, however, its like a frigging billboard advertisement. Graphics of Pivot, wheel size, suspension type, patents. I'm sure this also added to the costs as well. I'm not a flashy person and I think I'll be just a bit self-conscious riding around on this frame.

If you get a blue M6 and don't like the logos you can get custom vinyl decals made for a few bucks at a sign shop either with your name, bike club or just plain and match them up with the bike's colours so it looks pro and yet there are fewer marketing slogans on your bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you get a blue M6 and don't like the logos you can get custom vinyl decals made for a few bucks at a sign shop either with your name, bike club or just plain and match them up with the bike's colours so it looks pro and yet there are fewer marketing slogans on your bike.
    As long as it looks pro.......
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    As long as it looks pro.......
    Go to a good sign shop and you shouldn't have any issues. Have a chat with the guy/gal that's going to help you and assess their talent level.

Decals are also peel off so you can change it up every season if you like.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpcunity View Post
    What is the largest(width) rear tire that fits on the M6?
    I have my bike sitting with a 2.4 Vee Rubber Trail Taker on a Flow EX. There is clearance but not enough for me to feel safe riding it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lower link area looks like this after few months of use..
    Sure it's only cosmetic, but my previous Machs didn't have this feature..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me bad things about the Mach 6-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've had it for 3 or 4 months now and I don't have any signs of that. Wonder if you caught some pop rocks in there? interesting though.
    I have too many bikes, but it's not enough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadro View Post
    Yikes! Is there enough clearance for some thin protective tape to be installed?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How did that happen?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I doubt any tape could help.

Dirt and small rocks just get wedget very easily in that area because of the design.

mtbr member
    I have the same thing. A lot of stuff gets kicked up there. Nothing big enough to do damage beyond paint scratches is going to get in.

You should be proud of those. It is like you wife/GF leaving scratch marks on your back. Just shows you are riding her right!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If it scratches through paint, it will eventually scratch through carbon once the paint is gone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    If it scratches through paint, it will eventually scratch through carbon once the paint is gone.
    Carbon is much harder and tougher than paint. That's why they don't make bike frames out of paint. I think it'll be OK.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Carbon is much harder and tougher than paint. That's why they don't make bike frames out of paint. I think it'll be OK.
    Have you ever abraded carbon with coarse rock? It's not that difficult. Carbon isn't harder than most rocks, and that's the relevant comparison. I assure that anything capable of doing that to paint can abrade carbon in a reasonable amount of time.

mtbr member
    Yeah i've got a few marks there, when you clean your bike run a brush through there because i've had some small rocks get lodged.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm going to put on some "loop" portion of velcro. Velcro uses two sides, hook and loop. You'd probably just have to replace the velcro every now and then. I'm putting the loop velcro on the cable near the shock mounts and on the shock itself. It really sticks well and is great on reducing the rub. I've also used it on other bike's chainstays right near the cassette to keep the chain from nicking, where inner tubes don't fit (You know, the inner tube chainstay wrapping technique). Worked great there too.

The velcro loop also conforms well to curved areas. Just cut at the corners and form.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Have you ever abraded carbon with coarse rock? It's not that difficult. Carbon isn't harder than most rocks, and that's the relevant comparison. I assure that anything capable of doing that to paint can abrade carbon in a reasonable amount of time.
    +1 - the layup might be thicker in that area to deal with abrasion, but if the clearance exists I would throw some tape on there to prevent the damage.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this question...figured this thread was the right place...

My GF got a M6 w/ XO1 kit. The Fox suspension seems to have a lot of stiction. Is that just life with new Fox stuff and she should ride it to break it in? Or should we lube the seals or even get the fork serviced???

Suspension Werx in Vancouver has posted that a number of Fox forks needed service brand new out of the box to operate properly.

Not dying to spend $$ to service brand new parts, but at the same time not wanting to save $50 and have a $6K+ bike that doesn't perform.

For those of you who got the Fox forks on your M6's how were they new?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Slightly off topic Vik,
    I had a Bronson X01 with Fox Suspension. I felt the same thing when standing and pushing the bike into the travel. It's not as bad once you're actually trail riding, then again its not great!
    I'd recommend running everything a little firmer than standard sag for a few weeks of break in and reevaluate after a few weeks. I totally get the frustration if spending money to tune new parts...that's why I was stoked when the guy that bought my Bronson frame wanted the Fox fork too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this question...figured this thread was the right place...

My GF got a M6 w/ XO1 kit. The Fox suspension seems to have a lot of stiction. Is that just life with new Fox stuff and she should ride it to break it in? Or should we lube the seals or even get the fork serviced???

Suspension Werx in Vancouver has posted that a number of Fox forks needed service brand new out of the box to operate properly.

Not dying to spend $$ to service brand new parts, but at the same time not wanting to save $50 and have a $6K+ bike that doesn't perform.

For those of you who got the Fox forks on your M6's how were they new?
    Most of the new Fox stuff I've felt in the stores felt like this, and so did my 2013. I've had good luck with Finish Line Stanchion Lube. It's basically liquid Teflon and it can help to condition sticky seals. I dripped a bit on before each ride, and the effect is noticeable and immediate. Honestly, though, sell it and get a Pike.

mtbr member
    I have a Pike for my M6. I tried to work with my GF on a custom build, but her brain overloaded before we decided what cranks to run so I gave up.

Worst case we'll send the fork and shock to Avy for a custom rebuild in the fall. We are keeping our Nomads as winter bikes so she can pull her M6 apart in Oct/Nov and we will likely end up in Sedona at X'mas where we can collect the suspension bits from Avy without having to deal with shipping back to Canada.

I may well be sending my Float X to Avy at the same time.

So my mission is to get her setup as best as I can between now and the end of the summer. Swapping in a Pike isn't one of the options. She is maxed out on bike $$ for many months.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a Pike for my M6. I tried to work with my GF on a custom build, but her brain overloaded before we decided what cranks to run so I gave up.

Worst case we'll send the fork and shock to Avy for a custom rebuild in the fall. We are keeping our Nomads as winter bikes so she can pull her M6 apart in Oct/Nov and we will likely end up in Sedona at X'mas where we can collect the suspension bits from Avy without having to deal with shipping back to Canada.

I may well be sending my Float X to Avy at the same time.

So my mission is to get her setup as best as I can between now and the end of the summer. Swapping in a Pike isn't one of the options. She is maxed out on bike $$ for many months.
    I hear you. My wife and I are currently bike poor right now. Definitely check out the lube. It gave me some satisfaction.

mtbr member
    It will definitely break in over time, but will never get to Pike levels of plush. Pulling the fork apart new is not a bad idea since there have been reports of them coming dry/low oil levels in some instances.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    ...Pulling the fork apart new is not a bad idea since there have been reports of them coming dry/low oil levels in some instances.
    I've been suspicious of that on their Fork/Shocks for a while now. Can't help but wonder if it's just to help keep their "claimed weight" on their products low...

mtbr member
    We'll probably get her Fox stuff serviced. Given the cost relative to the price of the bike it's small change to ensure it is running properly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    We'll probably get her Fox stuff serviced. Given the cost relative to the price of the bike it's small change to ensure it is running properly.
    You can do an oil yourself in a matter of minutes if you have any mechanical inclination, and I'm sure you do.

mtbr member
    You can do an oil yourself in a matter of minutes if you have any mechanical inclination, and I'm sure you do.
    +1 - I have never serviced my suspension, but this may be the opportunity to learn.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    +1 - I have never serviced my suspension, but this may be the opportunity to learn.
    You'll be shocked when you see how easy it is. One beer job once you've done it before.

mtbr member
    Yep super easy to change the oil. Even changing the seals only add about 5 minutes. I use some PVC pipe connectors and a mallet to press the seals back in.

mtbr member
    I'm off to take some newbs into the mountains on a bikepacking trip. I'll check out some Fox fork servicing vids online and see what's what Sunday PM.

Enjoy your weekend folks.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    No wonder on the climbs at all!!! I went from back of the pack on my enduro to middle of the pack just because of how the bike climbs....Mountain goat!!!!
    Large Pivot Mach 6 Stealth/ XT /Self Build=28.4 LBS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P. View Post
    Here's an alternative (better) cable routing for the Machs. Maybe not as photogenic as the Pivot routing, but much more functional when the suspension is working. No cable rub whatsoever.

When I purchased the bike, my lbs mechanic asked me if I wanted the "Pivot routing" or the "Good routing"...

I see the wisdom in your cable routing now that I have a M6 in front of me.

I think maybe some of these stick on cable guides could be the solution to a clean looking bike and ditching the cable problems of running them over the shock.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Im seeing the start of this on my ride, has it got much worse since this photo?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadro View Post
    That is a well designed pebble grinder.

mtbr member
    Is the new 650 Mach really that much different than the 26" Mach? Is this bike "that" much better or is everyone just rushing on the 650 band wagon. I ask because the geo numbers look very similar; half degree slacker, half inch longer TT, little longer wheel base and chain stay, higher BB.... It seems to be almost identical, but I don't remember people raving so hard on the mach 5.7. Unless the suspension action/curve is improved greatly?
    friends don't let friends Fred

mtbr member

Tell me bad things about the Mach 6

A lot of people built their 5.7c's up light. With 32s or Revs up front, light duty tires etc. The frame is over a pound lighter with 10mm less travel. My 5.7c has a 150mm Pike and 2.35 tires and is pretty capable. The Mach 6 is a more plush feeling ride and quite a bit more capable apparently. My Mojo HD is much burlier and more capable in the rough stuff than my beefed up 5.7c is and when people like salespunk say the Mach 6 is being ridden whilst his HDR is sitting in the garage I have to think the Mach 6 lives up to the hype. I'm desperate to try one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've only had my Mach 6 for (5) weeks but so far there's nothing to complain about IMO. Like a few others, I'd agree there is graphic overload and I'm not a huge fan of the cabling routes but it's not something I would complain about either as it hasn't caused me any grief. The only problem with this bike so far is the owner isn't good/crazy enough to push it's limits
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 04-05-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast