mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Talk me into a 429

I am looking for a FS 29er that climbs solid out of the saddle and is stiff enough to descend well. I may even use it for the occasional XC race where the terrain is a bit much for a hardtail. I have tried out another DW bike recently (Sultan) and was really impressed with the DW Link. Its was rock solid especially when I occasionally get out of the saddle (a technique I got used to with my SS 29er). The Sultan is more bike than I need and probably wouldn't be that great of a XC racer. Which leads me to the 429.

I am considering the Reg 429 and not the Carbon, but if someone who owns a Alum 429 really likes the Carbon, I would be interested in hearing what they have to say.

So, talk me into it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I bought a 2012 429 for just about the same reasons that you mention. Wanted something that would still climb strong yet provide a better ride in XC than my old hardtail. Iím a clyde, 53 yo and really like the ride of the alu 429. I get close to hard tail performance with the pro-pedal mode on and the FS leaves me a little less battered at the end of a long ride. Build quality of the bike is excellent, the only thing I'm still tinkering with is grips.

Demoed the 429 for two days on Emerald Mtn in Steamboat this summer, loved it, came home and ordered one from my LBS. Have about a months riding on it and itís great. Have had no trouble with tire fit for tires that fit my needs. I live in MN.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

If you have the opportunity to demo one it will really sell itself. I purchased a 429 recently and couldn't be happier. I researched and demo'd for some time and was impressed for a number of reasons with the 429.

- Solid feel (rigid frame design)
    - Agile (doesn't feel as much like a big wheeled bike but retains all the benefits)
    - Dialed suspension (very little bob with or without propedal ON and climbs magnificently)

The 429 has not only increased my speed, but has also upped the fun factor of riding by a very considerable degree.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a 2011 Aluminum 429 that I love, but I would seriously consider the new carbon version if you have a choice. The carbon version has shorter chain-stays, shorter wheelbase, lower stand-over, 0.375lbs lighter (than 2012 aluminum), 12% stiffer, and it has a lower BB. The carbon is 0.875lbs lighter than the 2011 aluminum version. I don't think anyone has a 429 carbon as of yet because they are not due to ship until November. I will have a chance to ride one on November 10 at the Pivot Demo and I will let you know what I think comparing it to my 2011 aluminum 429.

I really dont think you can go wrong with the 429. I have used it for XC, All Mountain, and some lift served Downhill (no jumps). I fell in love with the bike because when your riding it you feel like you are part of the bike and the geometry of the large was spot on for a 6'-2" rider. Usually my height is right in between the large and xlarge frame sizes and I have to compromise somewhere but with the large 429 I was smack in the middle of the recommended size range and it fit great with a 80mm stem and 700mm bar.

mtbr member
    I set a PR on a "DH" trail here in PHX on my 5.7 with carbon wheels and other goodies... I took a c429 out the other day with unfamiliar tires, no dropper post and a long stem... I was 1 second off my PR best. Now with proper tires, shorter stem, dropper post... Might have been able to better my time.

The bike is plain fast on straights, hills and holds its own on the DH sections.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 26 guy.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a Mach 429. Suspension action is brilliant, especially for climbing. Flat stuff was devoured at high speed. Not as plush as some suspension systems but there's always a compromise somewhere.
    It's quite stiff too. I'm a 225 guy and would put this near the top. Only real downside was that it felt long (especially compared to the Big Top) and it bugged me too much so I sold it. I'd definitely get the carbon version over the al if I was going to buy again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm about 20 rides into my 2012 429. It is is hands down the best bike that I have ever ridden. Weight was the primary stumbling block in my decision making, but after building it up with nothing too stupid light, except for Formula R1 brakes and Maxxis Ikons tubeless, the complete bike with pedals sits under 26 pounds. I ride Vancouver North Shore primarily and race marathon - this is the bike. No problems on extremely technical trails with the super solid feel and neutral/quick geo, super efficient uphill. I will do some light/strong/expensive upgrades for racing, and get some burlier tires and a dropper for everyday riding. True quiver killer. My only gripe is the imbalance I have between the standard issue Float 29 fork and the amazing RP23 Kashima CTD. If you have the dosh, make sure to get a Kashima 120mm to balance the feel of the rear shock. Forget 100mm unless you are a purebred racer or a flatlander. On my 429 I always feel like I am getting more travel out back than I am up front. I can only attribute this to the quality of the damping (the DW link?) and the lack of friction from Kashima.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thats pretty light compared to mine- 28.5 size large. Great bike though, only have had it for 1 mo so far.How did you drop it down to 26lbs ? thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No talking necessary if you can demo, no substitute, especially if you are going to drop that amount on a frame. Don't make the mistake of telling your non riding neighbors what the bike costs. Their reference is costco. I digress.

The 429c has more of a plush feel than the aluminum version and the med frame is around 5.7 lbs per pivot. Steering feel is similar, stiffness is good for both, if you want the plusher ride and have the bucks - go carbon, its more fun than the original.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can you elaborate on the Carbon version being "more fun"?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorfan86 View Post
    thats pretty light compared to mine- 28.5 size large. Great bike though, only have had it for 1 mo so far.How did you drop it down to 26lbs ? thanks
    Aside from the brakes and tires, it is XT 2x10, Thomson post, WTB Silverado, Easton EA70 bar cockpit, Stan's wheels, Eggbeater 3 with aftermarket Ti spindles. Medium frame. Nice stuff, but nothing crazy except for the Formula R1 brakes.

Rider and Wrench
    I had a 2010 429 and miss it quite a bit- similar to you I wanted something I could hop off of my SS and still push a big gear out of the saddle, the 429 amazed me with how solid the pedal platform was. Previously I had a TNT Sultan with a pushed shock and small Volume can, great bike and pedaled better (still had to do abdominal antics to keep from bobbing...) with the afore mentioned shock but it had zero plushness compared to the stock shock... had to give up one for the other in that case- prior to this a Blur LT with first Gen vpp- I was not a huge fan of it but it seemed better than the superlight it replaced... anyway the 429 was my just right. Solid pedal platform but still active suspension so good traction when climbing even out of the saddle, very stiff rear end and solid overall feel for an XC bike, not overly plush for sure which I liked but some may not? I much preferred the 120 mm fork on it and having fox RLC or similar RS with some sort of anti bob/dive adjustment matches the rear suspension well. I did a few XC races on it and used it on anything from fast flowy smooth trails to fairly rocky/rooty stuff and it was well suited on both.

The terrain I ride has lots of up/down stuff with minimal long climbs and long downs so a set it and forget it bike is my preference- flipping levers etc. is not all that feasible IMO for this type of terrain so the 429 was a good match-

(sorry for a bit of rambling I am posting in the mist of would up kid kayos ...)
    I Just wish I could ride more!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore View Post
    I had a 2010 429 and miss it quite a bit- similar to you I wanted something I could hop off of my SS and still push a big gear out of the saddle, the 429 amazed me with how solid the pedal platform was. Previously I had a TNT Sultan with a pushed shock and small Volume can, great bike and pedaled better (still had to do abdominal antics to keep from bobbing...) with the afore mentioned shock but it had zero plushness compared to the stock shock... had to give up one for the other in that case- prior to this a Blur LT with first Gen vpp- I was not a huge fan of it but it seemed better than the superlight it replaced... anyway the 429 was my just right. Solid pedal platform but still active suspension so good traction when climbing even out of the saddle, very stiff rear end and solid overall feel for an XC bike, not overly plush for sure which I liked but some may not? I much preferred the 120 mm fork on it and having fox RLC or similar RS with some sort of anti bob/dive adjustment matches the rear suspension well. I did a few XC races on it and used it on anything from fast flowy smooth trails to fairly rocky/rooty stuff and it was well suited on both.

The terrain I ride has lots of up/down stuff with minimal long climbs and long downs so a set it and forget it bike is my preference- flipping levers etc. is not all that feasible IMO for this type of terrain so the 429 was a good match-

(sorry for a bit of rambling I am posting in the mist of would up kid kayos ...)

So why did you sell the 429? It seems it was you fav ride

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    So why did you sell the 429? It seems it was you fav ride
    Good question I have to ask myself sometimes why I sold it over my other bikes... but a combo of a job change, 3 pretty spendy bikes in the garage and not enough time to ride one of them... so I sold the 429- since it had the most $ tied up in it rather than watching it hang upside down from my garage ceiling while Pivot (and the rest of the industry updated and changed standards condeming the first generation 429 history... (I am only partly kidding) of many many bikes built, ridden and sold I really want another 429- I am likely going to get one in the next few months if I can make it happen-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    I've had my 429 for two riding seasons now. It's seen a variety of trails in OH, NY, GA, IN, PA & MI. Also a wide range of competitions from Ice Man, OH XC races & time trials. It's a great all round bike and I continue to be impressed.

Feel free to message me direct with further questions or feedback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just picked up a Carbon Nomad for my steeper more gnarly downhill trails here in NM. I've been riding a '10 429 and just love it. Just needed slacker angles and more suspension for the trails I'm riding these days. I put a pair of 2" Schwalbe Furious Fred's on the 429 for town commuting and damn if this isn't the sickest road bike I've ever seen. Fast and smooth. The size and Geo for my 6'4" build is incredible on the XL frame. I definitely feel like I'm in the bike instead of on the bike. I just can't speak highly enough of the overall design balance of this bike for fast cross country applications.

mtbr member
    Any problems with rear tire clearance? I've read where you can clog up the rear w/ mud, debris, etc..

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Killrop View Post
    Can you elaborate on the Carbon version being "more fun"?
    Kill, I just made the switch from '09 alum to carbon. Why more fun: 120mm fork, shorter chainstays, lower BB, stiffer, more vibration dampening, lower standover. The wheelbase on the C is nearly 2" longer than the A, but it doesn't feel like it riding. It feels every bit as capable in tight switchbacks etc. (if not more) than the 429A. Glad I went for it.

See if you can hook up a demo?

Cheers...

mtbr member
    Jumped on a 429c today out here on my local trails in Phoenix (south mountain). And boy it was so much faster over my 5.7. I used my garmin on the ride and plugged it into STRAVA and lets just say the clock doesnt lie... 10 personal records 1 5th overall 5 2nd personal records and a few 3rd personal records. This bike is no joke.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    what the average weight of the 429 alum with XT groupo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    what the average weight of the 429 alum with XT groupo?
    Guesstimation: Med: 27-28 with dropper, semi-aggro tires, light alloy hoops, 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    My 2010 with the XT group was 29 and a half-ish. That's with Frog pedals and a Monkey Lite carbon bar. The newer ones are somewhat lighter, but I'd guess not less than 28.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany