mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Stumpjumper carbon evo to mach 6

I currently ride a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon Evo 26. Has anyone moved from this bike to a Mach 6. I have been having a hard time finding a local demo. The Stumpy is a great bike but I am really interested in the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    I went from an Enduro 29 to the M6. I was not a huge fan of FSR compared to DW. Most if not all of my riding was done in Trail mode on the FSR where I never take my M6 out of Descend mode unless I am doing pavement sprints. I am also a big fan of slacker HA's. With the 160 Pike my bike measures at 65.4 degrees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sorry I'm a little late to the party, but I own a 2012 Stumpjumper FSR EVO 26 and was thinking of making the same switch so I demo'd the Mach over the weekend. I took it on all the same trails I usually ride (singletracks and technical stuff, Colorado front-range) with the stumpy in order to get a good comparison. Final verdict? Not worth it; at least not for me! I feel like the Mach 6 may have tracked slightly better on the climbs (didn't climb better, was just easier to keep straight through the technical stuff) but the stumpy was a bit better on the downhills. It felt more stable and had better control, especially at speed. Plus the stumpy is lighter, the Mach 6 Carbon with the XT build weighed 29.22 lbs on my scale. I'm going to wait it out a bit and perhaps get a 650 Stumpy or Enduro in a year or two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just switched from a 2013 Stumpy FSR Comp Evo 26" to the Mach 6. My opinion is pretty much opposite of quickb5, otherwise I would not have spent the $$$. I think the Mach 6 is much more stable at speed, and much more capable on the DH, but in all fairness, the mach 6 has a 160 Pike, Fox Float X, and all around better components than my Stumpy. Plus I am on an XL Mach 6 vs a L Stumpy, so that might factor in. For me, the Stumpy felt more "playful", but I feel much more comfortable bombing DH hard and fast on the Mach 6. As far as climbing goes, that was the nail in the coffin for the switch. I didn't like the FSR for climbing. More pedal bob, and hang-ups if I left it in trail or descend mode, and skid outs if i had it in climb mode. With the Mach 6 I rarely take it out of Descend mode and I have none of these problems. I demo'd the Enduro, and that was a great bike, but I still liked the Mach 6 better.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nlyso,

You have to say you like the Mach 6 better, you just dropped a load of money on it In all seriousness though, I think the upgrade from the components on the "comp" line of the stumpy to a pike and float x as well as the size change from L to XL is probably what made the biggest difference in stability. I rode a Mach 6 with a Float 34 (same as my stumpy) and in the same size... the were incredibly similar and comparable. They are both great bikes; it sounds like you may have needed a bigger frame and some higher end components and ended up with a bike that you love; which is what we all want anyways, right!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I came from a 2011 Stumpy Elite….to a Mach6…night and day!!!

Mach 6 -
    Climbs better
    Bombs downhill better
    Rocks Technical switchbacks better
    Technical anything better
    It's way quieter
    DW is where it's at…FSR if you want OLD technology

In short….I will never throw my leg over a big S bike again….

After I sold the rest of my bikes, it only cost me $2000 out of pocket….I'll take this $2000 Mach 6 any day.

Dual Squishy...
    Came from an '07 Enduro and '11 Epic to a 5.7c. Absolutely, hands down, better then both S bikes. But...

Compared my 5.7c to a 2014 Stumpy Carbon EVO 29er. Gotta say the Stumpy was FAST, and soaked up EVERYTHING! I did notice more pedal bob than my 5.7c. Significant. But even with the bob, the Stumpy EVO 29er was a crazy nice bike. Thinking a 529c would crush all 29er Trail bikes. A 429c is definitely in my future unless Pivot makes a 529c type of bike...