Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjosedre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    608

    Spring Curve for Firebird

    Would someone happen to have some info or rather a chart with the spring curve of the FB.

    I think I read that it was designed around an air shock but that would mean it is falling rate at the end of the travel in order to compensate with air shock's progressive nature.

    Just wondering

    Dre

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    You can download that free frame program and there are two models of the firebird where you can see all that stuff.
    "It looks flexy"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    You can download that free frame program and there are two models of the firebird where you can see all that stuff.
    what program is this?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Program is called Linkage and the Firebird is on the web library section. The Leverage ratio goes from about 3.2/3.25 at 0mm travel down to about 2.27 at 167mm of travel. You can see the various measureables changes as you cycle the suspension, etc. Pretty neat program.
    "It looks flexy"

  5. #5
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Program is called Linkage and the Firebird is on the web library section. The Leverage ratio goes from about 3.2/3.25 at 0mm travel down to about 2.27 at 167mm of travel. You can see the various measureables changes as you cycle the suspension, etc. Pretty neat program.
    Here's the link(age)

    http://www.bikechecker.com/

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    That program sucks you in... looking at the difference in lev rates on my Fbird and Nomad2. The Fbird starts out a little soft and gets consistently firmer. The Nomad is pretty firm at the start of the stroke, is much softer in the middle, then firms back up at the end like an upside down U-shape.

    Anyway, neat-o stuff.
    "It looks flexy"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjosedre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    That program sucks you in... looking at the difference in lev rates on my Fbird and Nomad2. The Fbird starts out a little soft and gets consistently firmer. The Nomad is pretty firm at the start of the stroke, is much softer in the middle, then firms back up at the end like an upside down U-shape.

    Anyway, neat-o stuff.
    I have to agree, I was sucked in for a good couple of hours yesterday alone. I think you answered what I was about to ask in if the leverage ratio drops then that means it is progressing? know what i mean?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Other people know a TON more about this stuff than me, but with leverage ratio, as the ratio changes on those graphs - the further down on the graph the "firmer" the ratio meaning it will take more weight to move the suspension. So in a word, unless I'm reading it wrong "yes".

    There's a ton of other things that go into suspension design so it wouldn't be a great idea to judge what bike you buy based on just this one factor.

    I just think it's interesting to ride my two different bicycle designs and look at how they work to find out why they do what they do when I'm riding them.
    "It looks flexy"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjosedre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    608
    Cool, thanks for clarifying. Anyone else find it interesting that the FB was spec'd around an air shock but the linkage is already progressive? That would make pretty damn hard to get full travel right?

    The reason I started this thread is because I always intended to put a coil on the FB & this kinda gives me a green light.
    Dre

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Well, if you filter through the various threads here you'll see that there are quite a few of us running coil...
    "It looks flexy"

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay

    I just think it's interesting to ride my two different bicycle designs and look at how they work to find out why they do what they do when I'm riding them.
    Can you feel a difference? If so what?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    Can you feel a difference? If so what?
    Yes, I can feel a difference.

    The Firebird, IMO is much more sensitive on small stuff. Like when you are climbing singletrack and there's roots across the trail or something like that. The Nomad doesn't feel very active there, the bird does.

    When you go off a jump, the Nomad has more "pop" where the bird tends to soak it up a little bit. Not a huge difference but I notice it.

    When landing off stuff that uses the last 25% of travel or so I like how the Nomad has that wet rag, bottomless feel. The Bird is good, but I guess gives up a little in that situation to the Nomad. Also, it seems like the Bird wants to bottom out easier when I have to hit the brakes and land hard at the same time. For some reason our trails have jumps into corners where you land and hit the brakes and it seems to eat travel on the bird and on the Nomad if it does anything, it might stiffen up the suspension feel wise.

    I really don't like the coil on the Nomad it rides like a jalopy unless you crank up the compression, love it on the bird.

    JMO, YMMV, IMO, ETC.....
    Last edited by gticlay; 09-22-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    "It looks flexy"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Well, if you filter through the various threads here you'll see that there are quite a few of us running coil...
    Hey gticlay,

    Nice bike. For some reason, I thought you needed the aluminum rocker to fit a coil. Guess I was wrong. Any clearance issues with the carbon rocker?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,571
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    Hey gticlay,

    Nice bike. For some reason, I thought you needed the aluminum rocker to fit a coil. Guess I was wrong. Any clearance issues with the carbon rocker?
    No, no issues but that is the aluminum rocker.
    "It looks flexy"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •