mtbr member
    Mar 2009

So a lot of friends ask me "How do you like your Mach 6?"..."well"..

Let me start by saying that I am coming from an Ibis Hd. I loved my HD. Ibis did blow it with the hdr. WTF, and I'm sure i'm not the only one that feels that way.
    Lets start by saying that the Mach 6 climbs really well. Better then the HD but not enough to say "Get the HELL out of my way, I wanna pass".
    (only amongst buddies of course)
    I do like the bigger wheels and that is why I wanted to purchase the Mach 6. It also has a DW link. duh.
    Now why don't I feel as confident on the Mach 6 as I did on the HD.
    Ok... My only conclusion is the fork. I could be wrong. I'm running the pike at the moment and have been playing around with the tokens. I did try their recommended air pressure and found that to be a JOKE. (too much) To get proper sag, I went 10 to 15 psi below for proper sag. Also the back of the bike doesn't feel as plush as the HD but again not enough to say "get the hell out of my way or I will run you over" (only amongst buddies of course)
    Don't get me wrong folks..I do like my bike. I'm just not blown away...yet!
    Some people might say that i'm not used to the bigger wheels. I do own the Ripley and love that bike.
    So I'm putting on the new fox 36 as soon as I get it. That will be my final conclusion on the bike.
    I'm writing this post with a few drinks in me so forgive me for being so blunt. I know what you"re thinking, "have another drink buddy".
    So I will! Cheers

mtbr member
    Are you running the Pike 160? I also came off a HD and love the M6 and yes Ibis blew it by waiting too long on the new HD. Not sure about your weight, but I am around 200 lb riding weight. Running 150 PSI rear with rebound set 4 clicks from wide open. Front is 55 PSI, 1 token, 4 clicks low speed, 3 clicks high speed and 4 clicks rebound.

Let us know your base settings and we can probably help you move in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hello again Salespunk.
    I'm running the the Pike at 42psi with two tokens. 5 clicks from wide open. 8 clicks on the rebound. Sag is at 15 to 20 percent when standing up centered on bike.
    Riding weight is around 175.
    In the back I'm running 45 psi. Was running 40 psi but was blowing off the ring all the time. Volume reducers might be the call for the back shock.
    I did slow down the rebound a little bit the other day and that helped with traction on the front end.
    Also, have you thought about trying the new 36?

mtbr member
    Not really interested in any of the Fox products personally. Just had too many issues over the last few years and read too many times that the new 34 is awesome and so much better than last year/everything has been fixed now/oil transfer issues have been fixed etc.

Seems like they have gone the way of managing earnings over developing great products. Hopefully the 36 can turn it around, but I am not holding my breath. It does look like a cool product and I like the fact they have gone back to a 20 mm thru axle.

2 tokens is a lot at your weight. Also, at 8 clicks of rebound damping I have a feeling you are packing up the fork in high speed chatter. 8 clicks would work better for much higher pressures, but your air spring is not enough to overcome how slow the rebound is running. It probably feels good in a single large hit such as a big drop etc, but starts to get harsh in regular riding/chunk.

My recommendation would be remove at least one token/likely both and back way off your rebound damping, probably 3 clicks or less based on 42 PSI. Also, with the fork tune you have now you may be over driving the rear shock as well. I assume you meant 145 PSI in the rear which sounds close. Remember with Fox products as you change the rebound you are affecting the compression as well. How many clicks are you running in the rear?

Air pressure front=spring rate
    Tokens=bottom out resistance/end of stroke tuning
    Low speed compression=where the fork sits in the travel/early stroke feel
    High speed compression=how the fork feels during normal riding
    Rebound=how quickly the fork can setup/return to neutral for the next hit

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The rear shock Im running five clicks from wide open which I'm assuming from fastest rebound setting.
    For the fork I was counting the other way but just messed with it and turned it 6 from wide open. Just took one token out.

I do agree with you on the fox 36. I dealt with so many issues myself. Between creaking and just out right feeling like ****. But when that fork was on, it was on. I'll hold on to the Pike while I'm trying the 36. I do like having back-up suspension just in case I have to send something back for warranty. Which with fox was every year.

mtbr member
    Just a few thoughts:

- if you are not loving the bike taking it to a suspension expert for some help could be well worth it

- some custom suspension work [Avalanche Racing maybe?] might be the ticket as opposed to buying new stock parts

- how long have you had your M6? I find it takes a while to bond with a bike and that means the old bike will feel better in some ways for a long time.

- the HD is an amazing bike...depending what your expectations are for the M6 vs. the HD you might be expecting too much.

- I told my GF when she got her M6 to give it 3-4 months and not to be afraid if she didn't love it to sell the frame and move the parts to a new frame
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've got over 700 miles on it.
    Don't get me wrong I do like the bike but I guess one thing that really stands out is that the front wheel almost feels like it's not getting enough pressure(weight) on it to feel confident in corners. Maybe it has to do with the shorter chain stay and longer top tub and not being able to put even pressure on the whole bike.
    I good friend of mine who I consider the fastest guy in the area said I should be running at 25% sag on the fork. And that is sitting down and in the bent over attack position. Now if I went by that I would bottom the thing out on every aspect of the trail. He runs 3 tokens. I'm back to 1 but after todays ride bumping it back to two. I might try three and try 25% sag.
    So back to my conclusion.. Is it the fork?? Or is the bike not that well balanced? At least compared to the HD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    In what modes are you riding in?
    Fork - Plush or Trail mode?
    Shock - Plush or Trail mode?
    Low speed compression dial 1-2-3 on the X...? this only works in trail mode!
    Set it at 1.

This will help narrow it down...coming from Pivot personnel ....The bike is "meant" to be ridden in plush/open modes....not in trail or climb modes unless you have too. The new DW link for the 6 was designed around this....the bike still climbs like a mofo and feels a lot better in the continuous chunk.

I was running my Pike in open and the X in trail mode..it DOES throw off the "feel" of the bike....I now run open/plush modes on the X most of the time and the difference is noticeable=better all around.

mtbr member
    What length stem are you running? I have a feeling that is the bigger issue here. You are not going to solve this problem but adjusting air pressures.

25% sag is way way too much while seated. Standing you could run that amount and be close, but you will blow through the travel riding off a curb with pressure that low. It makes sense now why you are having to add tokens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayslivingthedream View Post
    So back to my conclusion.. Is it the fork?? Or is the bike not that well balanced? At least compared to the HD.
    You should be able to setup the fork to your satisfaction, but you need to look beyond that to the how the whole bike is setup.

The Mach 6 with a Pike is a well balanced bike. I've had success on everything from tight twisty forest tech to more open high speed trails to buff XC trails.

It doesn't sound like you have your bike tuned well.

If you do want to make the Pike "better" I wouldn't replace it with another stock fork that isn't customized for you. I would buy the Avalanche cartridges and get Craig to tune them to your specific needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    What length stem are you running? I have a feeling that is the bigger issue here. You are not going to solve this problem but adjusting air pressures.

25% sag is way way too much while seated. Standing you could run that amount and be close, but you will blow through the travel riding off a curb with pressure that low. It makes sense now why you are having to add tokens.
    +1 - on the sag...I would set it up for 25-30% sag while standing in the attack position which puts a significant amount of weight on the front wheel.

Based on the OPs last reply I think getting some professional help is in order. You've spent a bundle on a top notch bike - get it setup correctly by somebody who can see you on the bike and talk to you face to face.
    Last edited by vikb; 05-20-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm always running the front and back in wide open. Unless on a really long climb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm running a 60mm stem. (Large frame and I'm 5 foot 11, 155 in my birthday suit)
    I'm guessing that by running 25% sag which yes would cause the fork to bottom out all the time hence putting in 3 tokens to help with ramp up and stopping to fork from bottoming out so much.. Benefit would be small bumps compliance would increase dramatically and the front end would ( guessing) track better with the bike and the riders weight shifting forward. Only problem is, is that high speed stability (composure) might be lost on the front end making the front end feel loose, while braking also I have not tried the three tokens yet so I'll report on that experiment.
    Just to cover all my bases I have messed around with
    1. bar height
    2. stem length
    3. bars being raked forward or back
    4. Tire pressure

mtbr member
    What length stems have you tried? I am 5'10" and am running an 80mm. Obviously this is personal preference, but I have no problem getting the front end to hook up in the corners. The shorter stem may be pushing you to far back to the rear wheel. While you will get more small bump compliance with that little pressure, you will also get a ton of fork dive and it will affect the corner bite.

Another question is what tire pressures are you running? Trying to narrow this down by process of elimination.

For reference, and not bragging rights, I am top 5 on almost every descent I run (yes I am a Strava whore). I just don't want you to think I am talking out of my a$$ here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've tried a 50 and did like the way it descended but went back to 60 for climbing reasons. Tire pressure is around 23 give or take. I ran a 70 on my large HD. The tokens in theory should help with break dive.
    And also for reference and not bragging rights, I am mostly in the top 10. Some top 5 and some KOMs. Strava is fun!
    I think something can be learned from all aspect of this sport whether or not the persons advice is a beginner or expert. I do respect yours and everybody's opinion. I might not always agree but free advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    You might want to try a 70 on the M6. I tried to go shorter on my M6 from the HD and ended up pulling the stem off my HD and it was perfect. Similar issue, that I did not feel like I had enough weight on the front wheel. Tokens will help a little with brake dive, but not as much as bottom out control. Think of the spring curve as a straight line. The tokens will move the endpoint up exponentially, but has the same origin as a fork with no tokens. The middle will move, but not a lot since it is a curve and not a line in reality.

Everything else make sense. I am sure you have been thinking about this stuff non stop and know what you are doing, just trying to provide outside perspective.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'll let you know how it goes, Thank you and to all who have put there two cents in on this issue.
    Also I'll let you know how the new 36 rides as soon as I put some time on it.