dog
    sit! stay!

New question here. so which Fox Float 36 should i get for my FB?

my current float 160 has seen better days... so...

i guess i could go with the traditional 160... but the new ones are only 4.5 lbs now...

or i should shim a 180 to make it inot a 170 ala Pivot spec bikes... but that's about 5.2 lbs, i think... but people are seeming to love the FB with 170 forks...

or should i go with the full 180 and a Cane Creek angle set? (i am assuming that the 180 might make the steering a little slow for me...)

other ideas? (i am kinda set on a Fox, though)

lend me your wisdom... please...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Shimming a 180 down to 170 would give you the RC2 dampener. I wouldn't be too keen on going for an RLC on the 160.

I do what I want
    180 shimmed to 170 and angleset...end of story!
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    I would never tell an equipment 'ho' not to buy a new fork, but how could your float possibly be worn out? Some seals and oil and you should be good to go....

BUT, if you buy something new, try a Fox 180 with a 1.125 steer. You can then use a low stack headset and run the fork as if it were only 170mm travel with a regular headset, use a regular stack headset to make it ride a little slacker, get an angleset to do whatever you want, or shim it to 170 and run a full stack so it can't compress so much in front.... there are a lot of options with the Fox 180 IMO.
    "It looks flexy"

dog
    sit! stay!
    dag... thanks smithrider... i had missed that... why would Fox do that?

gitclay, other than the angle set what low stack options do you suggest? right now my CK stack height looks to be around 12 to 14 mm... is there one with 3mm that works?

also, apparently i am tough on my equipment...
    Last edited by dog; 10-22-2010 at 03:23 AM.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Why not the Lyrik 170 DH?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I love my FB with a Float 36 180 up front. I went with an 1 1/8" straight steer tube and a CC flush headset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dog
    dag... thanks smithrider... i had missed that... why would Fox do that?

gitclay, other than the angle set what low stack options do you suggest? right now my CK stack height looks to be around 12 to 14 mm... is there one with 3mm that works?

also, apparently i am tough on my equipment...
    Yes, the one like AndyD is running - the cane creek XXc Flush II I think it's called. 3mm lower stack height. It's under a hundred where the angleset is about $180.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm currently planning the out my FB build, but I can't settle on the fork. I will be climbing steep technical singletrack trails with it. I don't do large drops or anything like that. It will be built to be an aggressive trailbike that I can use when I travel to Moab, St. George, Fruita and on a regular basis the Front Range. For the buff stuff and XC fests I will ride my Tallboy.

For the Front Range, what fork would you run? I'm looking at running the Lyric 170 DH or a 160 - 170 Fox 36 Float or 180 TALAS. The new TALAS 160 just doesn't make sense at 120. What are all the FB riders in the Rocky Mountain areas running for a fork?

Thanks

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoRider1
    I'm currently planning the out my FB build, but I can't settle on the fork. I will be climbing steep technical singletrack trails with it. I don't do large drops or anything like that. It will be built to be an aggressive trailbike that I can use when I travel to Moab, St. George, Fruita and on a regular basis the Front Range. For the buff stuff and XC fests I will ride my Tallboy.

For the Front Range, what fork would you run? I'm looking at running the Lyric 170 DH or a 160 - 170 Fox 36 Float or 180 TALAS. The new TALAS 160 just doesn't make sense at 120. What are all the FB riders in the Rocky Mountain areas running for a fork?

Thanks
    Sounds like you're overbiking yourself.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When I say no drops, I mean nothing bigger than 5' that are commonly referred to as "HUCKS". The normal average sized trail drops and steep rough riding, that is what I live for. Nothing BIG for me, my wife doesn't have a lot of sympathy for Self Imposed injuries anymore!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've got 2 rides on my Bird with a Talas 180 and a 1deg angle set. So far I like it a lot.

mtbr member
    ColoRider1 - your bike will, numbers wise, be ever so slightly steeper with the Fox 180 and the low stack headset than if you run a 170 fork with a regular stack height headset like the King or 110 or something. The point being that you might as well get the longer fork because it won't make your bike too slack and if you want it more slack you can either get an angleset or put a taller 'regular' headset on there, IMO. I'm thinking about putting a regular lower on to bring the front up a little.
    "It looks flexy"

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Yes, the one like AndyD is running - the cane creek XXc Flush II I think it's called. 3mm lower stack height. It's under a hundred where the angleset is about $180.

cool! i found it... it's actually $90 which is certainly a good price

but are you pondering what i'm pondering? (i think so, Brain, but what if the chickens won't wear stockings?)... no, wait...

what i'm supposed to be pondering is with such a headset system is about lateral strength, i.e. stiffness... that system would essentially decrease the effective head tube length making it less able to withstand the moment forces???

would the potential stiffness loss be worth the extra 10mm of travel (shimmed 180 vs unshimmed)?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    Sounds like you're overbiking yourself.
    I would humbly disagree. Sounds like the perfect Colorado / Moab bike to me. Amassa Back and Porc in Moab can command a nice all mountain bike if you ride the trails right. Some of the steep and rocky front range trails are well suited to that type of bike as well (hence Yeti making the 7 specifically with CO front range riding in mind). Not to mention the odd day at Winter Park hitting the jump trails.

I have an Uzzi VP that does everything here from 35 mile, high altitude epics to lift access downhill. That all said, two bikes is still optimal.

mtbr member
    cool! i found it... it's actually $90 which is certainly a good price

but are you pondering what i'm pondering? (i think so, Brain, but what if the chickens won't wear stockings?)... no, wait...

what i'm supposed to be pondering is with such a headset system is about lateral strength, i.e. stiffness... that system would essentially decrease the effective head tube length making it less able to withstand the moment forces???

would the potential stiffness loss be worth the extra 10mm of travel (shimmed 180 vs unshimmed)?
    No man, it's not big deal. The headset cups would move around in the headtube before it was an issue. If anything, you are torquing the headtube 'the same' and there is less pressure on the cups since they barely stick out.
    "It looks flexy"

dog
    sit! stay!
    two more questions...

do you buy the 170 pre-shimmed from Fox or do you buy the 180 and shim it yourself?

if my brakes (marta SLs) can use a 203mm rotor, will that fit on the 180?

I am Doctor Remulak
    do you buy the 170 pre-shimmed from Fox or do you buy the 180 and shim it yourself?
    Fox only offers 160 & 180 for retail sales. The 170 is an OEM fork.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

mtbr member
    two more questions...

if my brakes (marta SLs) can use a 203mm rotor, will that fit on the 180?
    Should be no problem, if the Marta SL are a post mount. I don't even think they are making IS mount calipers anymore are they?
    "It looks flexy"

dog
    sit! stay!
    the Fox web site said something about "down hill" brakes 200 to 225 mm rotors only?