mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Slow steering on Mach 5

I just finished building my Mach 5 and the steering feels slower than my Yeti 575. The geometry between the two bike are very close and I matched all the measurements from the 575 over to the M5.

I have the 140 Float, 40mm of spacers under the stem, 90mm 10 deg stem, and 40mm x 685mm wide riser bars.

Do these bike naturally steer slow or is it my setup?

Not just famous; infamous
    Don't know how tall you are, or what size bike you're riding, but 40mm of spacers + 40mm bar rise + 10 degree stem sounds very tall on the front end. Try taking out about half those spacers and see what happens.

Not sure about the spacers on my bike (about 20mm?), but I'm using a 90mmx0 degree stem with a 711x30mm bar. I'm 5'10" and ride a medium.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm also 5'10". I don't know why the steering on this bike feels slower than the 575. The HA on the 575 is 68.5 and the M5 is 69 deg. The tube length is 4.5" on the 575 and 4.2" here (0.3 in/8mm shorter). I used 30mm of spacers on the Yeti, but since the head tube is about 8mm shorter on the M5, I decided to add the extra 10mm spacer to even it out.

I called Pivot and they also felt that my setup on the M5 is kinda high and they also suggested either remove 10-20mm of spacers and/or swapping out the stem to a 0 deg.

I can make those changes, but it still doesn't make sense why the two bikes feel differently.

I have a Thomson 90mm 10deg and a 100mm 10 deg Elite stems. Anyone want to swap me a 90mm 0 deg? I also have both a Thomson 27.2 straight and set-back seatposts if interested?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jsvwx
    I'm also 5'10". I don't know why the steering on this bike feels slower than the 575. The HA on the 575 is 68.5 and the M5 is 69 deg. The tube length is 4.5" on the 575 and 4.2" here (0.3 in/8mm shorter). I used 30mm of spacers on the Yeti, but since the head tube is about 8mm shorter on the M5, I decided to add the extra 10mm spacer to even it out.

I called Pivot and they also felt that my setup on the M5 is kinda high and they also suggested either remove 10-20mm of spacers and/or swapping out the stem to a 0 deg.

I can make those changes, but it still doesn't make sense why the two bikes feel differently.

I have a Thomson 90mm 10deg and a 100mm 10 deg Elite stems. Anyone want to swap me a 90mm 0 deg? I also have both a Thomson 27.2 straight and set-back seatposts if interested?
    Considering how many spacers you have in there, you'd be better off just lowering the stem you have then swapping for a new stem. Why have a 0 deg stem with a bunch of spacers under it? It'll be cleaner looking, lighter and stronger to have the 10 deg stem with less spacers.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Also, the forks and the amount of sag you run front and rear will affect the geometry too, so keep that in mind.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    The 575 is a very squatty bike whereas the M5 is quite the opposite. Though the geometry numbers seem similar unsagged, the two bikes ride allot different once a moving rider is on board.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have always felt that anything more than
    25-30mm of spacers isn't good. With that bar
    and stem I would try it with about 20mm of
    spacers, maybe less. Also trying to match
    a 575 with the Pivot isn't the way to do it. Its
    a different bike and needs to be set up as
    it was intended.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ok I removed a 10mm spacer from under the strem and added some air in the tires and it made a difference! It's still slightly slower than the 575, but felt much better than before.

I'll try it like this for a few rides and may end up removing another 10mm spacer if I need to.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by jsvwx; 03-30-2011 at 01:35 PM.