mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Should I be worried?

So, had a decent stack today, after I tore my sidewall on the rear tyre, but didn't notice until I was on a skinny... Unfortunately as I went to change direction, the rear tyre folded (Bugger all pressure) and I and my 5.7C fell off

The first cut is always the deepest, as they say, but need I be worried about the 3 nicks in the seat stay? I'm figuring not, but it's always nice to check!

Should I be worried?-uploadfromtaptalk1356867018950.jpg

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk.

Pivotal figure
    I wouldn't worry too much with those since they aren't very deep and it's not a super high stress area. Just keep an eye on them to be sure. We've had demo bikes with similar damage and they held up fine.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

aka greyranger
    Is there something out there that you can use to patch and fill in ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Cheers Ken! I figured it would be OK, but being my first Carbon bike it always an interesting one. Truth be told, if I was going to be worried about every little scratch, I wouldn't have bought into the Carbon thing

Have a great New Year's Eve everyone! Time to get riding again!

Pivotal figure
    I've actually had good luck patching dings in my guitars with a bit of JB Weld, should work equally well on a bike. It's pretty easy to fill in a spot and sand down the excess so it's nice and smooth, plus it holds paint surprisingly well. I even replaced an entire section on one of my pointy guitars after smacking it on my amp cabinet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The one on the left looks the worst. I'd get a good dealer to look at it to be sure. Just me but I wouldn't put JB weld anywhere near it. Clear nail polish maybe juist to protect it. The good news is carbon is easier to patch than any other material if it ends up needing a repair. I don't think it does but pay close attention to it.

dog
    sit! stay!
    the jb weld plastic weld or "original"?...

for that matter what about a dab of the epoxy used for fishing rod guide wrappings? that might penetrate into micro cracks better... it's kinda runny with a very long set time...

also, i thought nail polish has acetone in it... if so, wouldn't that tend to penetrate and dissolve the resin?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    the jb weld plastic weld or "original"?...

for that matter what about a dab of the epoxy used for fishing rod guide wrappings? that might penetrate into micro cracks better... it's kinda runny with a very long set time...

also, i thought nail polish has acetone in it... if so, wouldn't that tend to penetrate and dissolve the resin?
    No, once it's crosslinked the matrix won't dissolve.
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    The stuff I used for my bigger guitar repair was the wood putty but I've also used the original for smaller repairs. It's very forgiving and not as nasty as a lot of the 2 part epoxy stuff.

mtbr member
    Im not a carbon expert but doesnt carbon break from the inside out? So filling the holes wont do to much IMO. ?? IDK I would just ride it, very highly doubt it will ever crack in that spot where its nicked.

I just recently cracked a carbon rim, I have a good amount of nicks in the rim but it didnt crack where there was a nick. SOOOOO who knows... Carry on.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    the runny epoxy would be best.