mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Shock Bolts (Grease, Anti Seize, or Blue Loctite?)

I am replacing the metal shock bushings with the new 2013 Fox bushings and I am wondering what to apply to the threads and shafts of the mounting hardware. I noticed that Pivot's website specs blue Loc-tite for the small M5x12mm shock mount bolt as well as anti-seize for the 8mm shock mount pin. The M8x55mm large rear bolt only specs anti-seize. Can grease be used to substitute for anti-seize and should I grease the threads on the large M8x55mm bolt or blue Loc-tite. I assume they need some sort of lubrication to get the torque spec right.

dog
    sit! stay!
    ... you are going to be very pleased with the new Fox bushing system... or at least i am!

... i would expect that in most situations grease is a better sustitute for anti-seize than loctite... but you can get anti-seize pretty easily from an auto parts store or similar... it's probably worth grabbing a tube than having a bolt come loose or get stuck
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Pivotal figure
    You can use grease on the shock bolts but you do need Loctite on the small Stainless bolt that threads into the forward bolt. The shaft of the forward bolt can be lubed as well as the entire rear bolt.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the information. Also the little washer under the head of the big bolt threw me for a loop because I found it laying on the ground and I did not know where it came from and I did not see it listed as a part on the exploded diagram on Pivots site. I had to call a friend with a pivot bike to confirm where the washer was supposed to be placed. Not a good feeling when you reassemble something and have parts left over. Also, if you are trying to press out the aluminum bushings in the shock eyelets with two sockets and a bolt use a 15mm socket to capture the bushing and make sure the socket used as a punch is between 14-15mm. Using a 17mm socket to capture the bushing and using washers as a punch per the MBA article does not work. However using an extractor for the spacers works great if you don't plan to use them again. Now running 2013 fox bushings and loving it.