mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Shimano XT or SRAM XO on Pivot 5.7

Trying to decide between Shimano XT & SRAM XO on my new Pivot 5.7.

Any feedback/suggestions appreciated

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpark
    Trying to decide between Shimano XT & SRAM XO on my new Pivot 5.7.

Any feedback/suggestions appreciated
    From what I have read and heard, SRAM XO should be the perfect fit for this bike.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Sram X.0 is your best bet!!! I have a bike with X.0 and one with XT and I much prefer the X.0 on almost every level!

mtbr member
    I vote for XT. Shimano is where it's at.

I have a used XO shifter set and derailleur if you are interested, PM me.
    "It looks flexy"

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    My vote would be XT for brakes alone... There is something to be said about the cool factor of rolling with a SRAM 2x10 system, but aside from that Shimano stuff just works... Of course that is my personal opinion and not the opinion of PIVOT...

I've spent some limited time on the X0, and a few more rides on the XX stuff, and I was amazed at how well the front shifted. Way crisp! But I don't ever want to be mistaken as a wild turkey, and the way those brakes gobble sometimes drive me crazy...

That's why, I'll be rolling XTR as those new XTR brakes are the best brake they have ever made!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    May 2006
    as far as shifting goes, I been riding XO for several years and won't go back to Shimano. The shifting is very crisp and after the cables are broke in further adjustment is infrequent. Seem like very little mantinance and great performance. My wife was a XT rider and I switcher to the Pink XO (she liked the color). She has said that she won't go back either. As far as brakes are concerned I don't care for the turkey noise. I have been running a Hayes V6 rotor with Juicy 5 brakes. The shimano brakes are good. If you don't mind a mixture of groupo, XO shifting with Shimano brakes.
    Last edited by clarkfam3; 10-06-2010 at 02:16 PM.

mtbr member
    I've been running Xo and X9 for the last 4 years and have put 10speed XT on the Firebird. I'll defintely be putting Shimano on my next bike as well. There are pros and cons with both companies but Shimano is winning at the moment I think.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I do like my xt brakes better then the old juicies and I am guessing the elixers. Although I do not have experience with elixirs. My XT brakes are super easy to bleed and I have not had any trouble with them making turckey calls. I can not say the same for the guys I ride with who sport the juicies. The X.0 rear D. just shifts a whole lot better then the shimano stuff and is easier to maintain. Funny thing though, I like my xtr front D. better then I like the x.9 front d I had on another bike. BTW I like srams cassettes and chains better to. Sram uses a 1:1 ratio for shifting and shimano uses a 2:1 ratio. The colors that Sram has out and had out, look better IMO.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You could roll X0 with Formula brakes, they even make MixMaster clamps so you can mount the brakes/shifters on the same clamp. I also would agree on avoiding the avid brakes, the elixirs were the worst brakes on any bikes I tried at Outerbike. Unlike the on/off response of Juicy's of old, the Elixirs just seemed to have no power at all. XT and RX were about equal, both quiet, with RX having slightly more power, XT a little bit more modulation, might not have been able to tell the difference if I was blindfolded though (of course then I probably would've crashed too...)
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd
    You could roll X0 with Formula brakes, they even make MixMaster clamps so you can mount the brakes/shifters on the same clamp. I also would agree on avoiding the avid brakes, the elixirs were the worst brakes on any bikes I tried at Outerbike. Unlike the on/off response of Juicy's of old, the Elixirs just seemed to have no power at all. XT and RX were about equal, both quiet, with RX having slightly more power, XT a little bit more modulation, might not have been able to tell the difference if I was blindfolded though (of course then I probably would've crashed too...)

I ride in mud 8 months outta the year. I feel like the "sram works better than XT in the mud" thing is so 2001. If your chit isn't working well now-a-days, it's because you don't have it tuned correctly in the first place.
    "It looks flexy"