mtbr member

Shimano Saint on Mach 5?

Anyone know if you can use a Shimano Saint crankset on the Mach 5? I know Pivot's website says any integrated Shimano crankset will work with the Mach 5 BB, but it seems like the BB for the Saint might be different. Though I can't tell that for sure from the Shimano website.

And if so, is there anywhere you can buy a Saint crankset without the BB? It seems as though everyone sells them as a package deal.

Just curious. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dunno, but I might be interested in a set of gold bb cups for my bike.
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    It should work fine, I have the 22-36-Bash setup on my Firebird and it setup the same as the XT's which we use on all the bikes. The Saint BB uses the same spindle diameter as the other Shimano cranks.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Black Lion
    Saints will bolt right on.
    Voltron

local trails rider
    Current Saint BB cups just have a longer threaded section for more secure attachment. There should be plenty of thread in the BB shell.

Saint is overkill for almost everything... but I have a couple of pairs anyway.

mtbr member
    Thanks all -- appreciate it.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    There are 2 different Cranks for Saint - one that is longer for use on true DH bikes using the 150mm rear standard and a 55mm chain line. So make sure you buy the cranks to be used with a 73mm BB shell, not the cranks for the 83mm shell.

Since we use the Press Fit BB 92 standard, you must use cranks that are designed for a standard 73mm shell, then you will be just fine.

Enjoy!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy