mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Shedding some weight on the Firebird. Advice needed.

I just weighed my Firebird (26") and it is coming in at 34 lbs. I would like to get it down to around 31-31.5. I was wondering if you had any advice on how to do this on the cheap? I don't want to replace the wheels or any components that are big $$$. I was thinking of going to a 1x and losing the front derailer. Does that save much? The bike is a 2013 XT build with specs identical to the website, only there are Specialized control tires on it.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    I took the front derailur off my 2012 slx/xt build and put on a wolf tooth 30t chainring. Took off about 1.5 lbs.
    Cost $75. Really liking the 1x too. No dropped chains and its quiet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What wheels and tyres are you running? is it tubeless or can it be converted to tubeless? Ghetto stans conversion saved me about 600-800g - i did buy more expensive light tubeless tyres to go along with the conversion, worked out very cost effective when scaling cost vs weight lost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm currently running tubeless. I'm thinking carbon bars, lighter stem, lighter saddle, lighter pedals. Not sure if that will shed 3 lbs or if I need to lose the derailer.

mtbr member

Shedding some weight on the Firebird. Advice needed.

My Bird started at 34 and I got her down to 31.5 but that was with XKing tires. I used them for Bend, Or where trails are dusty and mostly buff. Nobby Nick tires in 2.25 come in under 600g and blow up quite big so depending on where you ride they may help. I also run a SDG post and saddle, carbon Haven bar and ESI chunky grips. If you are going with a 1x system think about Grip Shift. It's very fast and lighter than trigger shifters, but you'd have to run a SRAM derailleur.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    1x definitely seems like the most cost effective change, since a lot of the weight savings comes from just taking stuff off. Would be nice losing an extra chainring, going to a smaller one up front that should weigh less, losing the derailleur, shifter, and cable/housing. I'm thinking I might have to look into this for riding when I go back to TX since I never use the small ring, and wouldn't mind the weight loss/simplicity.

Depending on your rear derailleur setup you might even be able to remove the chain guide, and not worry about chain retention.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Elitest thrill junkie
    I got carbon XX1 cranks on amazon for $280. That may seem steep for cranks, but that's a LOT of weight savings bang for the buck, 1.5lbs saved may be a stretch if you sill need a chainguide/roller with a 1x crank setup and the cranks are your old ones, you're saving about 130g for the front shifter, 130g for the front shifter, maybe 50 for housing and cable, then the weight you save by taking the rings off is added back by the chainguide or if you already have the chainguide you maybe drop a little weight, but it already weighs a lot more than it should. See that we are talking more like maybe 3/4 of a pound or so, MAYBE 1lb in a stretch, but front derailleurs and shifters are where you're saving significant weight with this setup (example, a 22t chainring is only 27g or so).

So if you do the XX1 cranks, you get the narrow-wide chainring WITH the cranks that helps to keep the chain on. If you want to run it without a chainguide, you can do it with a clutch-rear derailleur (new bikes that come with at least X9/XT have this now-a-days stock). So depending on what you got now, you may not need ANYTHING else and can take off the existing chainguide. At the least, if you still need to run the chainguide because you have a traditional derailleur, you saved significant weight due to the carbon cranks, added to everything else. This is where you get a lot closer to the "1.5lbs" of weight.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    If you are going with a 1x system think about Grip Shift. It's very fast and lighter than trigger shifters,
    Used to be, not sure that's true anymore, plus even if it were, you'd be saving just a few grams compared to a trigger shifter. Not good payoff for the money spent IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.