mtbr member

Seat tube of large 5.7 won't accomodate a 350mm seatpost - What the what???

Working on my buddies 5.7 and he can't even lower his seat more than halfway?! It's only a 350mm post (standard). Looking at the seat tube, the bend isn't until much lower so this shouldn't be an issue. Isn't the post either - does it with my Thomson too. Brought it to get honed but shop didn't have one long enough so it's cut the post or go with the dropper post (which he's intending to get anyway). My question is... Is this common for Pivot 5.7 frames? Seems like shoddy QC to me, especially knowing what they cost!

Thanks,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Spends a few grand on the frame and builds up the bike, balks at having to cut a seatpost which affects resale value. Typical......

mtbr member
    I hear ya, just wanted to know if I'm overlooking something here. Def. needs a dropper post so really a non-issue but does everyone have to cut their posts with these models?
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Gman,

Depends on the frame size. If it's a size S or XS, it's a cut for sure. If it's a medium, it really depends on how low you want to go. On a Large or XL, you shouldn't have to cut it, unless you want to drop your post to the seat hardware.

So, this really isn't a questionable QC issue at all. This is more of a conflict with your concept of fit and design, not meeting with your expectations. In the 4 years of working for PIVOT, this is the first time this concept has been brought to my attention as a potential issue. If you feel there is a true QC issue with the frame, we are always happy to inspect the frame, and solve the issue if there is one.

Feel free to call us any time. 480-467-2920 Brien, Todd or Aaron, answer the phones, and can help you.

Daniel
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Daniel,

Thanks for the response. The frame is a large and I could tell by the depth of the seatube that this should have worked. I know my bikes and the post would only go down half way which is unacceptable. So IMHO it is a QC concern. He's getting a dropper post this week so no more issue but I do think it important that you know about this.

Cheers,

G

PS - I do love how your bikes ride!
    Last edited by Gman086; 06-17-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Gman,

If you feel there is an issue, please call us so we can inspect it. Generally that is the best way to handle issues of any sort, call or email the company.

We are here to help, and if you feel it isn't right, call us.

Best regards,

Daniel
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What is the depth of the seat tube for XS size?
    I'm only 5'7 and want to go for a XS mach 5.7. But I afraid the seat tube is too short for a KS 150mm seat post.

I do what I want
    Who do we call to complain that the 5.7 Carbon doesnt have ISCG tabs and was already an outdated frame before it was even released?
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Who do we call to complain that the 5.7 Carbon doesnt have ISCG tabs and was already an outdated frame before it was even released?
    You don't get to complain about this again, and again Guy...
    Not sure why you love to hijack threads to change the topic!

That suggestion has been made, and there are plenty of solutions out there.
    And this top is covered somewhere else.

Keep up the good work though, now that the Pink Flamingo (So. Cal Sales Rep) is no longer your neighbor, where are you going to get your inside info?
    Jack Handy

I do what I want
    Yeah, I think I do.

Not really hijacking, figured while we're talking about the shortcomings of the 5.7, I'd add my $2.

I'm pretty observant as to whats going on the Pivot forum and I don't recall a solution to running any top of the line single ring guides on the Carbon 5.7, please share.

I'm sure he is as happy to be gone and I am to see him go.
    Guy.Ford

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Guy,

Mach 5.7 CARBON

It's talked about in the thread you started...

There is another thread where people have made their own lower pulley as well. Search the forum, there are ample solutions for chain guides, not to mention MRP makes an upper guide as well.

Enjoy!
    Jack Handy

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Guy,

Mach 5.7 CARBON

It's talked about in the thread you started...

There is another thread where people have made their own lower pulley as well. Search the forum, there are ample solutions for chain guides, not to mention MRP makes an upper guide as well.

Enjoy!
    Sent PM
    Guy.Ford