dog
    sit! stay!

running a Shimano Zee rear d of the firebird...

a while ago i went to a 1X10 set up on my firebird. i went with a shimano Zee (free ride - at least that is what the box said ) because of the clutch. that worked great, but i also got the 36 tooth cassette. this turned out to be a problem for me because when in the 11 tooth my chain had a little slack when there was no weight on the bike. this didn't create a lot of problems because usually under power, the suspension is sagged which created enough chain growth (if that is the correct term) to take the sag out of the chain. however, it would sometimes create a problem if i back pedaled a little in the air (because the suspension was fully extended like when there is no weight on the bike). so, i pulled out just one more link... this resulted in no chain sag in 11, but in 36 the the suspension would bind just barely before the end of travel. (i checked by letting all the air out of the shock and flexing the suspension.)

so, i switched to the XT shadow plus and, of course, the problem is solved. bonus is that clutch thing works so well...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member

running a Shimano Zee rear d of the firebird...

How are you liking the 1x set up. This might be my next venture.

mtbr member
    Dog - I think you have had a short cage Zee and when you switch to XT it was medium or long.
    Am I right?

Because I had the same problem

dog
    sit! stay!
    Hangtime - i like the 1X10 set up because 90% of my rides have less than a couple hundred feet of total relief, so i was always in the middle ring anyway. but, even when i am in the "real mountains" with long, sustained climbs, i don't seem to miss the small ring that much. i though i would, but i guess it's like single speeding and you just subconsciously adjust?

Macharza - i have the Zee for freeride as opposed to the one for downnhill. i think the only difference is how it sits on the derailleur hanger and not the cage length (which is short), like the saint. Except with the saint you just add or remove a little tab thingy where with the Zee it's a slightly different part. Anyone feel free to correct me on that. i am running the 36 tooth cassette, which is the max for the Zee, but with the small amount of chain growth in the suspension cycle was too much. i do not have a 34 tooth cassette to see if that would work, but a 32 (the next gear down from the 36) worked fine.

I got the mid-cage XT, which to my knowledge is the shortest cage the XT comes in? Anyway, it has more than enough range to handle a single ring with the 36 cassette (thanks to Kenbentit for helping me understand how all that range stuff works!)
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    There are two versions of the Zee one that will work with the 11-36T cassette for folks that pedal and one that maxes out at 28T for DH use.

Shimano M640 Zee Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Zee is tuned specifically for 1x10 applications, although narrow range 2x10 applications will also work with this derailleur so long as extreme gear combinations are not used. The Zee derailleur is offered in two short cage (SS) configurations: DH and FR. The DH derailleur has a specific actuation arc that will closely follow closely spaced DH ratio cassettes, up to 11-28T. The FR version is designed for riders who hit more varied terrain, and want to go uphill as well as downhill, featuring capacity up to 11-36T cassettes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com