mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Rumor check - any possibility of a longer-travel 29er?

Hi all... getting ready to pull the trigger on a Ripley. Only thing that would stop me is news of a longer-travel Pivot Mach 29er. Anyone heard anything? Anything at all? Please... give me hope!

(not here to be persuaded - I've test ridden the 429c, Mach 6, and Ripley. They all rock, but I'm leaning toward the Ibis. My last bike was a Mach 5 that I loved, but it felt like it was in the middle of the 429 & the 6.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Have you ridden a 5.7 Carbon? or even a M6? Do it and then decide.

mtbr member

I rode a 429 alu and then switched to a Ripley for more travel. Have it set up with 140 fork. I have no desire to ride a 100mm travel 29er anymore. I'm faster up and down on the rip, so to me 120 is the new 100 for all around XC riding, if that makes any sense.

I'd love to see a pivot with even more travel than the rip, but only if the chainstays could be kept shortish.

Dual Squishy...
    A 120 rear with a 140 fork on a 29er would be perfect for a 429c LT model...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    @pedal-man - as mentioned, yes to the Mach 6 test ride, but no to the 5.7. The M6 was great, but I just felt for longer rides with longer climbs, I'd rather have something a little more lightweight.

@D_man - that pretty much sums up my thinking. If there were a Pivot Mach 29er with 120mm rear travel, that'd probably be what I'd get.

@Jeepnut22 - agreed!

mtbr member
    You can build the M6 up as light as 25 lbs with the right build. Despite that I would not recommend it. Better off buying a bike built for what you want and not shoving a square peg in a round hole.

Rumor was that the M6 started out as a 29 design and then they moved to the 275 based on the market. Not sure if that is true or not. Ripley is a great bike and probably the limit of where I would want a 29 from a travel perspective. I have owned an Enduro 29 and found that there was too much flex in the system for my style of riding.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    You can build the M6 up as light as 25 lbs with the right build. Despite that I would not recommend it. Better off buying a bike built for what you want and not shoving a square peg in a round hole.

Rumor was that the M6 started out as a 29 design and then they moved to the 275 based on the market. Not sure if that is true or not. Ripley is a great bike and probably the limit of where I would want a 29 from a travel perspective. I have owned an Enduro 29 and found that there was too much flex in the system for my style of riding.
    Interesting observation on the e29. Are you saying there was a problem that even carbon rims couldn't fix? The new punkass lenz lunchbox is supposed to be stiff as shizz--but I've never ridden one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi, I notice you said you test rode a 429C but was it 120mm fork or 100mm? The reason I ask is I have just bought a 429C with a 120mm fork and my old bike which I still have is a Mach 5. I find the 429C with the 120mm fork rides better than my Mach 5 but that may be the Kashima Forks and rear shock and also the forks on the 5 being old quick release style. It could also just be rose coloured glasses but I am finding myself faster on downhills with the 429C when looking at segment times on our local XC club course. I notice you are also looking at keeping the weight down which was one of my main areas I looked at too.

A month on from buying my 429C I am having trouble bothering to re-build the Mach 5. I love technical climbs on the 429C too it just flattens them out so to speak. You will be happy with any new bike though, the changes in geomotry from 5 years ago make them much better.

mtbr member
    Not sure if carbon rims would have fixed it or not. One of my friends rode my E29 and was able to get the rear tire to buzz the chainstay just by stomping the pedals hard. I found the bike a bit scary when it got steep and fast. It did not have that pinpoint precision that I have become accustomed to and was never really sure where it was going to be in the line. I was not running the stock wheels, but instead a set of Easton Haven aluminum wheels which are about as stiff as you can get for metal.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Not sure if carbon rims would have fixed it or not. One of my friends rode my E29 and was able to get the rear tire to buzz the chainstay just by stomping the pedals hard. I found the bike a bit scary when it got steep and fast.
    My friend just sold his Enduro 29 and got a Niner WFO9. He had buzzing/flex on his Enduro 29 as well, but it wasn't a deal killer - it was the shitty climbing more than anything. I've not ridden either, but he had a Bronson and a Devinci Troy for a while and said the WFO9 was the best enduro bike he's owned going both uphill and downhill. For an all alloy frame its the same weight as his enduro was at 28 pounds.

He also mentioned the chain stays were too short, if you can believe it. Terrible high speed descending bike. Maybe where the scary/steep comes in as you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Id prefer a 140mm 650b release myself.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinno View Post
    Hi, I notice you said you test rode a 429C but was it 120mm fork or 100mm? The reason I ask is I have just bought a 429C with a 120mm fork and my old bike which I still have is a Mach 5. I find the 429C with the 120mm fork rides better than my Mach 5 but that may be the Kashima Forks and rear shock and also the forks on the 5 being old quick release style. It could also just be rose coloured glasses but I am finding myself faster on downhills with the 429C when looking at segment times on our local XC club course. I notice you are also looking at keeping the weight down which was one of my main areas I looked at too.
    This is a great question & I should double-check with the shop. I thought it was 120, but it might have been 100. My Mach 5 setup was 140 w/a 15mm front axle and the rear shock had the big can/volume, and I felt pretty invincible on downhills. (naturally, this was not the case!)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was hoping it would come out with a long travel 29er. I got tired of waiting, so I purchased a Mach 6. That said, if they did come out with the big boy 29er, I would sell the Mach 6 and buy it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I was hoping it would come out with a long travel 29er. I got tired of waiting, so I purchased a Mach 6. That said, if they did come out with the big boy 29er, I would sell the Mach 6 and buy it.
    No you wouldn't...the Mach 6 is the best EVAR!!!!

change is good
    Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jbrowne View Post
    Id prefer a 140mm 650b release myself.....
    Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk