mtbr member

Rubber protection coming off mach 5.7 carbon

Anyone else having this? If so, what has been the best solution. I'm guessing to peel off completely then use some form of liquid nails or similar. ..

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

dog
    sit! stay!
    any pics? (just curious)
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Here it is

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rubber protection coming off mach 5.7 carbon-uploadfromtaptalk1358740615156.jpg  

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I don't own a mach, but on my bikes (especially my carbon frame) i never trust the stick-on stock rubber because it leaves too much exposed on the inside of the chain stay and up the seatstay.

A trick i got from my lbs was to cut a tube down the middle and wrap the chainstay, secure on the end with zip ties. This allows you to get right up around the chain rings. I also do it about 1/3rd of the way up the seat stay. In your pic, the inside of the seatstay looks vulnerable even before any peeling.

If that's too heavy for your liking you could try a superlight tube or some light road handlebar wrap.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Bump. What's the best way to fix this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhys.l View Post
    Bump. What's the best way to fix this?
    Contact Pivot?

I'd do that before I'd use any solvent or adhesive on my carbon frame.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Old post, but here's a reply for anyone else who experiences this. Yes, had some peeling on my chainstay as well. Just wash it with water followed by rubbing alcohol, then adhere it with liquid cement. Use small velcro straps to hold it taut to the frame while drying since they are wider and apply more even pressure than zips. Really not that big of a deal.

mtbr member
    ^^ Thanks mate. Reason I ask is I can see this beginning to happen on my 1 month old frame already. Not really good enough, but I don't want to have to do anything drastic like send the frame back.

mtbr member
    NP. Adhesion on corners is tough, especially with the amount dirt and crap thrown at it along with vibrations. Timing before shipment, along with humidity and heat can be factors as well. My peeled was peeling on on receipt, but I had one of the first frames. Like I said, wasn't a big deal to fix and my LBS talked to Pivot about it to make them aware. Had a little peeling this summer (18 months later), but that was expected wear an a frame that's been ridden A LOT in oregon weather. Should be a quick fix for you. Enjoy the new rig.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I had a small amount of this happen on the chainstay of my 429c. A few peices of strategically placed helecopter tape made it all better.

If some of the larger portions come of, sounds like I will be into the liquid cement.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

mtbr member
    I agree with what you say JMW, I would expect it to start coming off eventually, and as a result I'm a little surprised there aren't more responses to this thread. Maybe it has only affected a few frames, or most people just stick it down with something and don't give it a second thought. It's my first carbon frame, and I'm still a little unsure about everything.

Thanks for the reply Shmack. I'm getting a bit of lift around the back of my chainstay