jddist
    May 2008

Reverb cable routing on Firebird?

Anyone got a nice solution for routing the cable of an adjustable seatpost with remote like the new reverb? I got a new reverb a couple of days ago and have tried a number of different ways and not really happy with any of them. The problem area is around the upper pivot linkage below the seatpost clamp. I want to keep the cable from touching and rubbing the carbon link due to wear problems. I originally had it routed nicely where the cable went in the small space between the frame's seat tube and the carbon link and it appeared to have enough space, but after 1 ride I noticed wear on the carbon link from the constant rubbing against the cable. Also tried twist tied to top of the rear brake cable using the same hole in the link as the brake cable uses but this had the same problem. Any ides and picts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I don't have my bike in front of me but can you run it with the front der cable then up along the seat tube somehow?

Or maybe on the mounts they provide under the TT, then along the st/tt brace and just zip tie it with a little bit of innertube so it doesn't rub the frame too much?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's my solution. Tape around the seat tube, zip tie on that, small zip tie on that, another small zip tie on that, going around the hydro line. That's one advantage to the hydraulic approach, you can do this without affecting the remote.

Only one ride on it so I can't really say how it will work long term. As you can see my FB is slathered with tape on the top tube right now; I'll probably upgrade to some clear heli tape at some point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reverb cable routing on Firebird?-2010-11-05-11.02.36-small.jpg  

Reverb cable routing on Firebird?-2010-11-05-11.02.55-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh yeah, and tape on the chrome dealio on the reverb itself, so it doesn't get scuffed either.

jddist
    May 2008
    Ansible, thanks for picts. That is just what I was looking for. Looks better than my current solution. BTW did you change the routing of the the rear cables, not twist tieing them tight to the carbon linkage as delivered by the factory due to wear issues? That is another area I am concerned with since I am already seeing the cable wearing into the top of the alum rear triangle and also wear on the carbon linkage. Are you having any ghost shifting issues when the suspension is compressed with this current cable routing?
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Exactly, the cables zip tied to the carbon link immediately start wearing into the finish. The cable routing you see there seems to work. No shifting issues so far.

BTW, I only used one of the two cable guides on the top tube for the reverb. Instead of the rear guide I used the gadget that comes with the reverb to link it to my derailleur cable. One thing to watch for too is when the link comes up it might interact with the hose. I routed it to the outside of the derailleur cable to help it stay out of the way of the link - probably only an issue on big hits.

mtbr member
    Cool, pics. That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to describe

I really don't like the routing on the F-bird for the brake and rear der housing - it really kinks the housing and makes it crack. I DO like how it's routed lower on the Nomad. Seems like it could be done that way on the bird as well.
    "It looks flexy"

jddist
    May 2008
    Here are some picts of what I came up with that is working great. No cable rub on the linkage at all if run on the right side of frame and twist tied with a thin tie as shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reverb cable routing on Firebird?-dsc_0001.jpg  

Reverb cable routing on Firebird?-dsc_0002.jpg  

Reverb cable routing on Firebird?-dsc_0003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So I initially had my post set up in a fashion similar to the way istvisinet has his. I started worrying about the strain on the seatpost hose bard, as the bend I was getting was just too harsh. Then I found this thread, and was impressed by Ansible's idea of coming from the left over the top tube, but still got too harsh of a bend, which was causing the strain relief to twist and occasionally interfere with the collar of the post. So I came up with a solution that borrows from a number of sources, and is a compromise between the hose sliding forward and bending that I really am happy with. I made ample use of the clip guides, but like Ansible, found it best not to use the rear integrated frame guide. I think the key is to put adhesive on the end of the clips attached to the derailleur cable and to leave the post line end free to slide. As an added bonus, it pulls the rear derailleur cable away from the rocker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reverb cable routing on Firebird?-dscn2440.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I should also mention that I'm running the warrantied hose which is significantly less compliant than the OE hose, but a little easier to train.