mtbr member

Rack for Mach 5.7

Trying to figure out what hitch rack to get for my soon to be Mach 5.7.

Has anyone been using a Kuat Beta/Alpha or similar Thule/Yakima for their Mach 5?

Right now I used a fork mount on my roof but with the move to a QR15 I don't want to hassle with an adapter and removing the wheel anymore.

While there are many nice platform racks out there they may be a bit out of my price range.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I love the Thule Sidearm for my Mach 5 and Niner RIP. The bike can be on and off the car in seconds. Extra time for riding.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr

second vote for sidearm

Couldn't be easier.
    Thule Sidearm 594, they make a hitch rack with the Sidearm too.
    Bonus is that it is strong enough to hit trees and doesn't rip anything apart. The frame is strong enough to take the abuse (though not endorsed by Thule). Very stable on corners, I don't worry about bike ejecting anymore after watching my wife drive.

Only con is the lock ... plastic does not a secure lock make. But if you were leaving it unattended in a parking lot overnight it is your own damn fault.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I have been looking at them but I have an SUV and wanted to move form the roof mount to a hitch mount.

I am really interested in seing if anyone uses a hanging style rack for their Mach 5.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I have been looking at them but I have an SUV and wanted to move form the roof mount to a hitch mount.

I am really interested in seing if anyone uses a hanging style rack for their Mach 5.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr

Hitchmount - Sidearm mechanisms

Thule 916XT T2 :

ZEN RIDER!
    Quote Originally Posted by btibben
    Thule 916XT T2 :

I'll 2nd that 10x
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    T2 for sure.

I have a friend that tests bike products and he was given a Kuat to try.
    Said it was Junk.

Thule T2. Except no substitutes.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Doesn't your bike get coated with road goo when you have it on the back like that? My car is always so dirty out back.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I just bought a 990XT doubletrack hitch rack today. Pick up my Mach 5 tomorrow. I'll post back.

Severum

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mach 5 fits great on the 990xt. Sturdy and affordable at sub $300.00

Severum

mtbr member
    I've used the Thule T2 for a few years and it works perfectly. Very easy to mount, not have to worry about trees, overpasses or garages, no need for lifting on top of a tall SUV. I do get nervous when cars get a bit close on the freeway though. Only real problem is that security is weak. The locking mechanism is a joke (search in forums), so if you're going to walk away for a bit, better cable it up really, really well.

It's not cheap but surely a great investment (REI 4 years ago at ~$305). I think it's about $400 now. Here's a pix of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rack for Mach 5.7-thule-t2-iii.jpg  

Last edited by onegymrat; 10-05-2010 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feed back.

I may wait to see what the rocky mounts HangUp is like when it comes out early next year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/KMH407/B...43898099096242

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Check out the NV from www.kuatinnovations.com It includes an integrated bike repair stand in the rack, cable locks and super stout for heavier bikes. Also check out the revisions they have made to this rack and were showing at interbike http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/ku...nterbike-2010/

mtbr member
    thanks mdobberina

I actually started this post to get input on anyone use the Kuat alpha / beta. I am leaning towards the light weight hanging racks b/c I will be taking it on and off the hitch quite often and want something easy to remove and store.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hani1
    thanks mdobberina

I actually started this post to get input on anyone use the Kuat alpha / beta. I am leaning towards the light weight hanging racks b/c I will be taking it on and off the hitch quite often and want something easy to remove and store.
    My girlfriend has the Saris CycleOn Pro, and I have to say it's pretty damn easy to take on and off. IMO the hanging style racks are not very secure and I personally would not want to put my bike on one for any amount of time.

You know what they say about opinions...... They are like a@@holes, everyone has one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If its light weight you're after you might look into the 1upusa quik-rack. Its aluminum, and the basic model only holds one bike. You can bolt on addons for more bikes.

I have had negative experiences with hanging style racks - with the varying models of suspension on mountain bikes they can be hard to mount. But the bad part is when the bikes are on the rack they swing back and forth and various parts on the bikes bang together or scrape. I'd only get one of these if you're ok with someones brake lever scraping on your frame for a 100 mile drive, or being meticulous with securing the bikes and tying on scraps of towel and etc.