• 08-06-2011
    anesthesia-matt
    Question for Mach 4 owners
    Looking to pull the trigger on a new frame, seriously considering the Mach 4, especially with the deal Pivot has on the 2010 left overs.

I'm coming off a 2009 Giant Anthem X (broken frame, no warranty b/c I'm second owner). I liked all aspects of the bike except on descents, just didn't seem as confident as it did with climbing and cornering.

I saw the reviews were great. Looking for some "real-world" input on how the bike handles, especially on rocky, rooty, technical descents. This will be my only bike so I'm looking for a good mix for XC racing/trail riding...with the trails being technical climbs and descents, rock gardens, etc. So I guess I'm looking for something that accelerates fast, climbs like a goat, corners like its on rails and descends cofindently.......but who isn't right??:thumbsup:

I've read that the Pivot bikes acutally use more of the advertised travel of the bike unlike some others, do you guys find this to be the case. Is this a good all-arounder or should I look for something with a little more travel. I'm also looking at the Tomac Automatic 120 and Tomac Snyper 140.

Thanks!!!
  • 08-06-2011
    Sonoran_Flyer
    If you lean more toward techie than xc I would get the Mach 5.7. I have a Mach 4 and there are times I wish I had more travel. I will be purchasing a Mach 5.7 in the future. The Mach 5.7 is more of an all-round bike. The Mach 4 is more purpose built with XC racing in mind. In steep techie situations the head feels real steep, because it is. The Mach 5.7 is better handling in the steep techie situations. I felt a lot more confidence on the Mach 5.7. I would go for the 120mm fork if you get the Mach 4.

My 2 cents.
  • 08-06-2011
    anesthesia-matt
    Thanks for the input. I was planning on putting a 120mm fork on it. Still contemplating the Mach 5/5.7
  • 08-06-2011
    Sonoran_Flyer
    Unless you have lower budget, I would look at the Mach 5.7. I bought the Mach 4 when there was only the Mach 5. There were several things I did not like about the Mach 5, but I feel Pivot addressed with the Mach 5.7. The Mach 5.7 is a much more refined, than the Mach 5. I referring to the way it handles. I know its 5.7" of travel, but it very stiff and really don't not feel much different that the Mach4 just more travel and slacker head angle.

If you have not guessed I REALLY like the Mach 5.7 for trail riding, just all round fun. The handling with allow one to go much faster on rocky trails.

Just my 2 cents.
  • 08-06-2011
    Sonoran_Flyer
    Try to get a demo ride if you can. Best advice I can give.
  • 08-06-2011
    troyer2112
    The Mach 4 with the 120mm fork is absolutely perfect! Since you live in Florida you will have a extremely fast bike that will be able to do more than most xc bikes can do. I have had mine for a couple of months and i love it.

I would demo them regardless just to see what the 5.7 is like, im sure its amazing.

The answer to your question is PIVOT.
  • 08-07-2011
    anesthesia-matt
    Decision Made!!!
    I'm going with the Mach 4. After taking an honest look at my riding style, I'm mostly in the XC singletrack and techincal single track. Plus, I'm getting into the racing scene this year here in Florida and the Mach seems to be a racing demon.

I already have a Rockshox Reba RLT 120mm which will be great with the Mach 4 from what I've read. For the Mach 5 or 5.7 I would have to cough up another $600-$800 for a new fork. Which I don't have.

PLUS.......After talking to a Pivot dealer over the weekend I was told that the 2011 frames are now on closeout, should have the prices to me Monday or Tuesday.:thumbsup::D

Thanks for all the input guys, can't wait to get this thing built up. Just have to choose a color....either Ano Jet Black or Ano Cobalt Blue.
  • 08-09-2011
    Flat Ark
    I had a Mach 4 with a 100mm fork. IMO that bike was a handful on rough descents. I live/ride/race here in Arkansas though. I often wondered how it might have handled differently with a 650b front wheel? Didn't take long after my purchase before I was kicking myself for not going with the 429.
  • 08-09-2011
    Sonoran_Flyer
    Putting a 120mm fork on the Mach 4 helps reduce the work load on rough descents. Reduces headtube angle to about 69.5. In my opion the Mach 429 is not much better in the rough stuff it still has 4" of suspension. That is why I think the Mach 5.7 is the bike for rough trails. Big wheels do not replace suspension and add about 2-3lbs more weight to the bike.

My 2 cents.
  • 08-10-2011
    Maluco
    One of the things I have been doing for fun with the PM4 is running a 2.4 tire on the front.

Keeping a smaller 2.1 tire in the back, the 2.4 raises the front slightly and slackens the head angle making descending easier. Not to mention the extra grip and resulting confidence a 2.4 tire can give. Also, noticed that this larger volume tire removes more of the trail chatter no surprise.

As I have a 100mm fork currently, I consider this a poor mans option for a 120mm fork.

On the down side, the 2.4 tubeless tire doubles the weight and you feel the extra effort in climbing and accelerating but again this is just for fun. The PM4 is ridged enough to handle the 2.4, on previous bikes it sometimes revealed frame flex.

As I have had good results from this experiment I would like to try a light 2.4 tire like the Schwalbe Rocket Ron which is said to be 530 grams (about 500 grams lighter than the 2.4 tire Im using now).
  • 08-10-2011
    anesthesia-matt
    Cool, I'll be using a 120mm fork. The tires I use are WTB Wolverine 2.2's
  • 08-10-2011
    danK
    My buddy did that. MutanoRaptor 2.4 front, Crossmark 2.1 rear.

Local dealer has 2011 Mach 4 X9 2x10 for $2999 before 6% tax. Down from 3999. Option to put 120 Fox F32 RLC on, too, if buyer doesn't like 100mm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maluco View Post
    One of the things I have been doing for fun with the PM4 is running a 2.4 tire on the front.

Keeping a smaller 2.1 tire in the back, the 2.4 raises the front slightly and slackens the head angle making descending easier. Not to mention the extra grip and resulting confidence a 2.4 tire can give. Also, noticed that this larger volume tire removes more of the trail chatter no surprise.

As I have a 100mm fork currently, I consider this a poor mans option for a 120mm fork.

On the down side, the 2.4 tubeless tire doubles the weight and you feel the extra effort in climbing and accelerating but again this is just for fun. The PM4 is ridged enough to handle the 2.4, on previous bikes it sometimes revealed frame flex.

As I have had good results from this experiment I would like to try a light 2.4 tire like the Schwalbe Rocket Ron which is said to be 530 grams (about 500 grams lighter than the 2.4 tire Im using now).

• 08-11-2011
    tech44
    If you're looking for something that you can race on, train on, and handle techy single track, then I'd say Mach 4 is great. I raced and trained for the SERC series on my Mach 4 as my only bike and it's held up much better than previous bikes. Although I felt I was at a disadvantage on the long climbs compared to all the carbon niners in the mountains, it was great on technical terrain and descents IMO. Should be great on most of the Florida trails and races.
  • 10-17-2011
    Thomas
    Will let you know
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    I had a Mach 4 with a 100mm fork. IMO that bike was a handful on rough descents. I live/ride/race here in Arkansas though. I often wondered how it might have handled differently with a 650b front wheel? Didn't take long after my purchase before I was kicking myself for not going with the 429.

Im just about to build a 650b frontwheel for my Mach4 :thumbsup:
  • 11-30-2012
    Dcluley98
    I know this thread is old, but did anybody actually ride a Mach 4 with a 100mm fork and 650b front?
    I was thinking about buying one and throwing an x-fusion velvet rl2 15mm thru axle fork on it and running the bigger wheel with a 2.3 tire on front for extra stability with the 100mm of travel and a slacker 69* trail HT Geometry.

Please let us know rider results if you've tried it! (and critical toe/frame clearance issues if there are any!)
  • 12-01-2012
    golden boy
    I haven't, but I have the parts to try it. Well, actually I'm now running a 120mm Fox fork, FWIW. But I do have a 650b front wheel that I could easily slip in and try out. Maybe I'll do that today....if I do, I'll let you know what I think.

BTW, I agree with others that the 5.7 is a better all-around bike. But I'd say that the Mach 4 is definitely the best in its class. It does everything well.
  • 12-02-2012
    golden boy
    So I did end up putting my 650b wheel on my Mach 4 for my ride yesterday. Honestly, I can't say that I noticed much difference in ride quality. The only situation where I think I noticed a difference was on the steeps: climbing, the front end was a wee-bit more wander-y, and descents were a wee-bit more confidence-inspiring. Due to the slightly slacker head angle, of course.

As far as toe overlap, I had inches to spare. I'm on a medium frame, and I wear size 10-1/2 shoes. Wheel is a Pacenti TL-28 with Neo-Moto 2.3. Note that I'm running a 120mm fork. A 100mm fork would make that gap smaller, but unless you're Bigfoot I don't think toe overlap is going to be a problem.
  • 12-02-2012
    Dcluley98
    Thanks Golden Boy.

I was thinking about buying one and throwing an x-fusion velvet rl2 15mm thru axle fork on it and running the bigger wheel with a 2.3 tire on front for extra stability with the 100mm of travel and a slacker 69* trail headtube angle.

Less nominal travel, but better rollover and momentum with better grip from a fat tire at lower pressure along with the stiff front end.

I normally ride an old school GT Zaskar XC hardtail with an 80mm fork on our Florida trails, so the extra travel to the 5.7 isn't a big concern as I don't do AM or big drops. Looking to just make it fast and light probably with the new 1x11 setup and a little slacker than my HT for better confidence on steep descents. This sounds like it would work perfectly.

(Now i just have to find the 5 grand to do it right)
  • 01-09-2013
    kleinhead
    new wheelset
    I'm looking to build a new wheelset and would REALLY love to go to 650b for front and rear. Wondering if there are others that have tried to convert to 650b and how it worked out?

I called Pivot to see if anyone there has tried it -- they told me that if you could get a rear wheel/tire combo to fit, the rear tire would rub the seat tube when compressed beyond 3" of travel. Can anyone confirm?
  • 01-10-2013
    golden boy
    I got as far as sticking a 650b wheel mounted with a Neo-Moto 2.1 in the rear dropouts. The top of the knobs were just a hair away from rubbing the chainstay bridge. I didn't bother trying to ride it. That was sufficient for me to stick with 26".