mtbr member

Question for 5.7C owners

Hey guys,

I realize this is a rather specific question but have any of you owned or ridden a Yeti ASR 5?
    I'm on a carbon ASR 5 (with a 140 fork) and looking for a new frame. Interested in a bit more travel, a bit more plush, a bit slacker head angle and the ability to run a 160 fork. Nothing drastic, more like an evolution of the bike I'm on.
    I've pretty much narrowed it down to the 5.7C and the Ibis HD (I've ruled out the SB 66C, Nomad C and Turner 5Spot, all for various reasons).
    For those who have ridden both the 5.7 and ASR 5, how would you compare them? Is it enough of a difference to make the change worthwhile?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've ridden the ASR 5 and yes, there is a big difference. Moving from single pivot to DW-Link will be a significant change, as the 5.7c is a much more efficient pedaling platform. You'll also find the suspension grabs better on climbs and with way better on the descents. The 5.7c is also a MUCH stiffer bike, which will be something you'll notice your first ride. If you like the "sports car" like feel of the ASR, then you'll like the 5.7c as it's quick and flickable, but will have a plusher ride when it's pointed down. A Fox 34 at 160mm up front throws off the geo, better to run a Float 34 at 150 or get a Talas and change out the cartridge. XFusion and RS Pike would be other larger stanchion 150's.

The HD is also a great bike. Not as stiff as the 5.7c, but plusher. Personally, I think the 5.7c pedals better, but that's a pref on my part. However, the HD is WAY more versatile and can be run anywhere from a trail oriented rig to a coil sprung park bike, and everything in between.

Whether the differences are enough for you to switch is personal and, considering the price of an HD or 5.7c frame, I'd suggest you demo both before making the call.