mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Pogo stick Firebird

Hey guys. I am hoping you can help me out with getting my Firebird dialed in. I have the Sag set properly on both the fork and the shock. However when I climb, the bike seems to constantly be bouncing up-and-down. I am wondering if the rebound in the shock is too fast or too slow? I have a DHX air 5.0 shock in the rear. Do you guys have any advice for settings on the rear shock to prevent the bike from bobbing up-and-down so much? The way it is set up right now, it makes climbing way harder than it should be. I have the rebound set to five clicks counterclockwise. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Does yours have a pro pedal switch like the one in the picture if so play with that switch and see if that fixes your problem

Name:  dhx_air_5_eng.gif
Views: 254
Size:  16.1 KB

jddist
    May 2008
    "pogo" feeling is ALL about rebound setting. Start by seeing what the difference is between fully open ( no damping, red dial all the way one direction ) and fully dampened ( dial all the way other direction ). If there isn't a major difference in these 2 setting then something is wrong with your shock and have someone take a look at it. If that is not a problem, then set rebound to middle ( half way between fully open and fully closed ) and ride it off a curb a bunch of times and see how the suspension reacts. If it is still pogo, then increase damping to half way between current setting and fully dampened and retry. if it felt too dead then go the other direction. keep doing this until you find the sweet spot. RECORD what the setting ( number of clicks from either side ) is at this point and tape it to the shock. Now go ride the trail and make fine adjustments ( 1 or 2 clicks ) to rebound setting to get it perfect. This is called bracketing and is how the pros do it. Do this for the front fork as well. What I think you will find is that there will be 2 settings for both the front and rear that you like. 1 for climbing and smooth flow stuff, and 1 for fast chunder stuff. I, and many I know, are always changing the fork between 2 different settings depending on terrain and it makes all the difference in the world. Would do that on the rear also except that it is not the easy so we leave at a setting that is inbetween the 2 sweet spots.

NOTE: This must be done, or redone, after any changes to SAG and compressing settings

hope this helps

Pivotal figure
    Just as a quick Go/No-Go test, what is your air pressure set at in the main chamber and the Boost? The main air should be pretty close to your riding weight with a Firebird, Boost pressure needs to be within the range specified on the shock body.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 220. Main chamber is at 230. Boost is at 190. I'm going to start playing with the rebound to see if I can get the Bird to climb.

Pivotal figure
    Pressures sound good, should just be a matter of dialing in rebound a bit but even with that setup off it shouldn't be acting like a pogo unless the shock has some other issue with it (*like a complete loss of damping).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I will take a different tack. Is the FB too much bike for your style of riding? Almost 7 inches of travel will not climb like a hard tail. If that is what you are used to then you may not be Firebird compatible. For me the sweet spot of suspension for what I ride is 140mm DW bike. Not a hard tail, but it responds when I stomp on the pedals with little "pogoing".

The FB (for me) always "pogo-ed" in the demos that I rode. Mach 6 "pogo-ed" a lot less but still too much for my riding. Descending both were awesome.

Have you pedaled a Phoenix? That "pogos" a ton to me.

One mans pogo is another mans smooth ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It worked!!!!! I adjusted the rebound, until I found the right "feel" and the bike is magic. It's amazing what one or two clicks make. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

jddist
    May 2008
    Yea, makes all the difference in the world. Do the same for your fork. I really wish the fork manufactures would put/keep the rebound adj on the top of the fork to make it easy to adjust. These days, I think most all forks are putting it on the bottom. In my opinion the compressing settings don't make anywhere near the difference the rebound settings make. I never change the compression, just set it and forget it. However, I change my rebound setting on the fork multiple times per ride.
    Cheers