mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Pivot's Suspension Setup Suggestions

I've got a Firebird on the way, and it's so close I can taste it. So, I've been scrutinizing every nook of the Pivot website to get a jump on dialing in the suspension.

I'm getting an RP23 'bird, and they recommend on the RP23's that: "In general, rebound should be turned all the way out and dialed back in 1-3 clicks depending on rider weight. A sub 145lb rider is full out (fastest setting) where a 200lb rider would be about 3 clicks in."

Now in my previous bikes with RP23, I have done nearly the opposite. I have set the shock to full slow and dialed it back 2-3 clicks to minimize bucking effects. No noticeable wallowing effects at these settings.

Is this something particular to Pivot bicycles, or have I just been dialing in my suspension weirdly?

Pivotal figure
    It sounds like you may have been running a lot of rebound damping. The setup sheet is just a place to start from so riders aren't confused on where to set the dials. Not everyone likes their rebound the same way so running a lot of damping may be the way that works for you. The problem with too much rebound isn't so much a wallowing feel as it is the packing up in rapid succession bumps (shock can't return to full extension before hitting another bump). I'd try setting your shock up with a faster rebound and see how it feels. You can always make adjustments on the trail to get it dialed in like you want it.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah wallowing was the wrong word. Packing up is what I meant. I'll try it out.

Pivotal figure
    Ride on!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude