mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Pivot: This wait for a bike is ridicules

We had bikes stolen from our Bend OR condo in Aug (we live in NC) which forced us to go shopping and make decisions on what was the next bike for my wife and I.

We went to a few local demos in Bend and then Outerbike in Moab in Oct. My wife settled in on a Pivot Carbon 429 which was brand new. Pivot folks at Outerbike including the man himself Chris C. told us carbon 429s would be available in Dec. sometime or Jan at the latest.

We came home and ordered the bike in late Oct.- early Nov. time-frame so as to "get in line" as we were told Pivot uses a strict first in (order wise) first out (shipped) system and does not play favorites to larger dealers over smaller dealers.

The bike did not come as projected and Jan. turned into Feb., and then into March and so on and we still don't have the bike with April and spring right around the corner. Our dealer called today and were told "we have more carbons coming next week but we can not commit as to if you will get one or not". Seriously?

In my opinion: the bikes ride great but the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I guess we will see what next week brings, but we are close to moving on to another bike company.
    Last edited by Woodman; 03-28-2013 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm surprised that they couldn't direct you to a shop that "might" have one in stock. Lots of good bikes out there to choose from but Pivot is rock solid from my experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    I'm surprised that they couldn't direct you to a shop that "might" have one in stock. Lots of good bikes out there to choose from but Pivot is rock solid from my experience.

Yes, I own a Turner Burner and Pivot Mach 5. I was formerly a 429 owner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would think the delay is probably with the dealer network or the dealer themselves as I just ordered a Mach 5.7 carbon 3 weeks ago and it is due in this weekend. Now I know its not the same bike but when i was ordering mine another customer was picking up his 429 carbon which only took 2 weeks to come in Im told. I would really call around or call Pivot directly to see what is going on.

mtbr member
    This really sounds more like an issue with you LBS (maybe they screwed up your order). We have two shops in town that carry Pivot and both have had no problem getting their ordered bikes. Have you called Pivot to find out what the delay on your order is? They actually answer their phones and are uber cool.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm in the same boat. I was told the end of Dec., then sometime in February or March and still nothing. I was all set to pull the trigger on one figuring it would be in stores before the mythical Ibis Ripley. Yet now the Ripley is available and still no 429.
    My saving grace is I'm up in the MidWest and we still have another week or so of snow and then the lonnnng wait for the trails to dry.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Pivot: This wait for a bike is ridicules

I heard that there were many preorders. Also, it seems certain dealers are given preference and there was a delay with Fox shipping rear shocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If you don't have money down with your dealer, you have nothing to complain about. If you do, get it back, and call up Cycle Progression.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

dog
    sit! stay!
    when the M4X was delayed like 6-8 months i called the folks at pivot more than few times for updates. they were always pretty honest about their lack of certainty regarding the delay and they were honest as to why it was delayed... so i ditto the idea of calling them... come to think of it, it seems new frame delays are more the norm than the exception...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    To the OP:

Your wait time is pretty typical actually.
    I had placed my order for my '12 bird at the beg. of Oct. '11.
    Was first told mid Nov. then early Dec.. That turned into Jan.,
    at which point I was starting to think of getting an HD instead.
    I told my dealer if it didn't arrive in this first batch of frames -
    or rather, if a frame out of that first batch wasn't allocated to me -
    I was not going to wait any longer. Well, my frame arrived on Jan. 10th
    of '12. So all was good. (my big beef with Pivot is that they send out
    their heavy duty AM trail bike model - the F-bird - with subpar shocks like
    the rp23. So you end up haviing to pony up another 500 clams to fix this.

But , just to make you feel a little better, back in early Jan of '10,
    I ordered a Knolly Delirium to replace my stolen Chumba Evo.
    Well, after promises of late Mar., then mid Apr., then early May,
    then mid to late May, it finally arrived at the LBS on June 10, '10.
    A five month wait ! They had to have known it wouldn't be ready in Mar.
    They lied to their customers to avoid losing the sales. I know they were
    a smaller company trying to grow (hence the move to Taiwan), but please,
    don't blow smoke up our collective asses. And with the move to overseas
    production, the price didnt drop !

official eMpTyBRain
    That is a long wait but that just goes to show you how popular the 429C has become. Not only can Pivot not keep them in stock, they are back ordered for months in advance.. WOW and sorry that you have to wait but i have a good feeling that you will be very happy after you finally receive and ride them.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    In my case the situation was very different.
    Last year I ordered my Mach 5.7 c and I had in two weeks.
    This year I ordered my 429 c and got in just a week and a half!
    I think a lot depends on the LBS

The Customer Service is excellent Pivot

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    That's their most popular model, and I believe I was told they are 500 orders behind as of now.

My FB only took a couple weeks to get here last November/December.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

11 is one louder than 10
    I ordered one from Competitive Cyclist a few weeks ago (medium, mach 429 carbon) and had it a week later.

They had a few in stock at that time.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Dear Woodman,

We are very thankful for your patience in this, as well we are thankful for being a fan of Pivot. Unfortunately, there are many ways communication has broken down. I'm very sorry about this. Number one, when you ordered your bike in October, the dealer should have informed you when a realistic delivery time frame would happen. At this point, the frame hadn't even been delivered yet. Planned and announced delivery date was always for the end of November. This means, that orders placed at the end of July when we announced this new frame would be filled first. So, in October when you ordered you really had nearly 4 months of orders in front of yours. I'm not sure where Jan and Feb came from as in our office we were already trying to make it clear that we have more orders for frames than we do for bikes...

In our office in October, we were telling customers new orders placed in October would be filled at the end of March or April. We are now a month behind those estimates, and we are sorry about that, and trying to catch up. We have air shipped in every shipment, to help resolve issues like yours. We hope to catch up on our next air shipment, which should land here within the next 2 weeks. Please get with your dealer, and have them confirm with our staff - Brien, Aaron or Todd, that you will have your bike soon!

Please accept my apologies for this confusion and communication break down. We are improving our delivery, and hope that we do not have the same issues in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    We had bikes stolen from our Bend OR condo in Aug (we live in NC) which forced us to go shopping and make decisions on what was the next bike for my wife and I.

We went to a few local demos in Bend and then Outerbike in Moab in Oct. My wife settled in on a Pivot Carbon 429 which was brand new. Pivot folks at Outerbike including the man himself Chris C. told us carbon 429s would be available in Dec. sometime or Jan at the latest.

We came home and ordered the bike in late Oct.- early Nov. time-frame so as to "get in line" as we were told Pivot uses a strict first in (order wise) first out (shipped) system and does not play favorites to larger dealers over smaller dealers.

The bike did not come as projected and Jan. turned into Feb., and then into March and so on and we still don't have the bike with April and spring right around the corner. Our dealer called today and were told "we have more carbons coming next week but we can not commit as to if you will get one or not". Seriously?

In my opinion: the bikes ride great but the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I guess we will see what next week brings, but we are close to moving on to another bike company.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Like a Boss, thanks for the update! You guys are great.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Cannondale: Perp, SuperSix
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It's pretty funny coming from two industry veterans who should know better coming to a public forum to post. If the shop you were dealing with couldn't get it you should have just called one of the other dealers where you live in NC.
    With myself only reading about initially and then getting to ride one of the Pivots I have to say it's probably worth the wait...

Rubberside down!!!

mtbr member
    Ordered a LES in mid March and was told first week in April after the dealer called Pivot (supposedly) now they are saying end of April or first of May which of course we did not find out about until this week. So communications appear to still need work.

mtbr member
    I feel your pain!

I paid for my El Guapo frame in the fall of 2006. Delivery was to be early 2007. I live in AZ and a friend at the time even worked with Chis to develop the EG, just down the hill in Phoenix. This was to be my 3rd Chris C. / Titus bike purchase.

Boy I was pissed when, in July of 2007, folks on the East Coast were walking into stores and getting their EG's off the shelf, while I was still waiting! Pre-paid!

I posted on MTBR and a conscientious dealer who had one in stock sent it to my LBS. SAVE!

I still love that bike...

mtbr member
    I'm assuming (hoping) he's got his bike by now, but for those who've ordered a Mach 6 recently or 429c or whatever. It does pay to call around to several dealers. Sometimes they have them in stock because they pre-ordered them before you even knew about it.
    I saw a beautiful black size Medium Mach 6 on the showroom floor at Go-ride a couple weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Both are available if you search,my LBS has a 429 in stock and sold several,three Mach 6 came in this week and sold three to friends of mine plus myself!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona View Post
    I feel your pain!

I paid for my El Guapo frame in the fall of 2006. Delivery was to be early 2007. I live in AZ and a friend at the time even worked with Chis to develop the EG, just down the hill in Phoenix. This was to be my 3rd Chris C. / Titus bike purchase.

Boy I was pissed when, in July of 2007, folks on the East Coast were walking into stores and getting their EG's off the shelf, while I was still waiting! Pre-paid!

I posted on MTBR and a conscientious dealer who had one in stock sent it to my LBS. SAVE!

I still love that bike...
    Dude, you still rocking that bike! I remember you had one of the early first generation EGs. The last great Titus bike...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Dude, you still rocking that bike! I remember you had one of the early first generation EGs. The last great Titus bike...
    Hey Vespasianus, wow, good memory! Yeah I'm still rockin the EG!

It served as my one and only bike for more than 5 years! With a slickrock huckers playground out my back door, half my friends hardcore DHers and half carbon 29er XC racers, the EG has allowed me to play all the games I enjoy with all the people I enjoy. Too light on some of the DH, too heavy on most of the XC, but I got it done for thousands and thousands of miles on one bike! Lift assisted double-black DH one day, super long-winded XC the next - with nothing but a change of wheelset! Best single bike I've ever owned!

Been riding a "zero carbon beefy build" Pivot Mach 4 the past 6 months, and LOVE it too! Its a rocket on climbs compared to the EG, and handles ~3ft drops no problem as long as I maintain finesse, but when it comes to certain trails - many of the best where I live - the EG is still my go-to ride!