mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Pivot Tire Specs

Just wondering how most of you find your tire setups that stock Pivots are setup with. I know current 5.7 bikes come with a nevegal front and a slant six rear. What are your thoughts?

Also, I believe older Pivots models came with a Nevegal front and small block rear... any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    2012 429 that I bought a week and a half ago came with Kenda Slant 6, 2.2's front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Was pleasantly surprised by the Kendas on my new 5.7c. I've put some 2.2 Rubber Queens on but think I'll put the Nevegal back on the front.

The Slant Six is ok for a minimalist fast tyre. I think the Small Block looks more aggressive even though I've read Slant Six is supposed to be between Small Block and Nevegal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the input. Just wanted to see if Pivot owners have been happy with what Pivot specs their bikes with or if they are swapping tires out ASAP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I didn't care for the ride of the Slant Six's. Swapped them out for Captain Control 2.2's which I had.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post
    2012 429 that I bought a week and a half ago came with Kenda Slant 6, 2.2's front and rear.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My 5.7 came with a Nevegal 2.35 in the front and a Nevegal 2.1 in the rear. Very good combo for climbing and descending traction with reasonable weight, but pretty slow rolling. I can't comment on the slant 6, but I've used the SB8 in a 2.35 in the rear on a different bike. Lighter, and very fast rolling, but predictably less traction. I recently switched to a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front and an Ignitor 2.35 in the back (both EXO versions). The Ardent has superior traction to the Nevegal up front and is faster rolling. When ridden aggressively (really leaned over in corners) the Ardent's traction is superb. The Ignitor has about the same traction as the Nevegal in the back, but is faster rolling. I really like the new maxxis combo. But it has only been used in dry CO front range conditions.

orthonormal
    I don't have a Pivot (strongly considering the 5.7c) but have used both the Slant 6 and Nevegal in the past. The Slant 6 is really skittish in sand over hardpack and the Nevegal hooks up well but is really slow rolling. If I go with a complete build from Pivot, I will definitely have the dealer swap tires out.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The Slant Six is pure dog crap. Slice it up and toss into recycling.

Minion or Ardent (dry conditions) front. Crossmark or something fast rolling rear
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I run an Ignitor up front and an ikon on the rear for my 429. Best combo i have tried to date on this bike, just enough bite up front and not a lot of friction out back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wow, I wonder why Pivot specs their bikes with Kenda tires.

mtbr member
    I run a nevegal on the rear and a nobby nic on the front of my mach 5. Good combo.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Bontrager 29-3 front, Racing Ralph 2.25 SS rear on my 12 429.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Interesting. I never liked the nevegal front and slant six rear, so I always wondered why Pivot specs the 5.7 and 4.0 like that. Always thought that maybe it was just me that didn't like the combo.

mtbr member
    Firebird: Ardent rear and Minion EXO front, 2.5
    Mach 5 Ignitor rear 2.35 and Minion EXO front, 2.5

These tire setups make me happy.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Interesting. I never liked the nevegal front and slant six rear, so I always wondered why Pivot specs the 5.7 and 4.0 like that. Always thought that maybe it was just me that didn't like the combo.
    Well, have you seen the price of Maxxis tires lately?

Nevegal is a dependable, good, all-around tire. You can't pick one tire to make the whole country happy. I haven't used a Slant Six, but I'd imagine it would be marginally better than a SB8, which I found skittish in the conditions in which I tried them, Santa Fe - Dale Ball Trails. I'd consider using a Slant Six in the rear till it wore out, and at least keep the Nevegals for burlier outings if you want your main treads to be something faster rolling. I use Nevegals on my AM wheelset, and Ikon/Crossmark on the XC/race wheelset.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac