Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Pivot Switchblade

Coming May 31st, according to Pivot website. Any ideas what it is?

My old Titus Switchblade was one of my favorite bikes ever.

Single Track Addict
    Just saw that... Looks like Chase had a hand in it... so, is it a longer travel 29r?
    Will ride singletrack for food...

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    is it a longer travel 29r?
    That would be my guess. With a Hightower-like "switch" to be able to run 27.5+ with the same BB height?

Design-wise, can Pivot get the chain stays shorter than 17.5"? It seems like every DW-link 29er has a minimum ~17.5" CS length (Turner, Ibis, Pivot). I personally prefer long stays - but I'm a leggy freak and I know this a deal breaker for some.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    That would be my guess. With a Hightower-like "switch" to be able to run 27.5+ with the same BB height?

Design-wise, can Pivot get the chain stays shorter than 17.5"? It seems like every DW-link 29er has a minimum ~17.5" CS length (Turner, Ibis, Pivot). I personally prefer long stays - but I'm a leggy freak and I know this a deal breaker for some.
    Yeah, I would assume it has some sort of "switch", since Cocalis designed the Titus Switchblade to have adjustable rear travel from 4 to 5.5" IIRC.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Yeah, I would assume it has some sort of "switch", since Cocalis designed the Titus Switchblade to have adjustable rear travel from 4 to 5.5" IIRC.
    Configuration options seem to be all the rage. At Costco last night I saw paper towels that advertised that you could "create you're own sized sheets!" It seems everybody wants to be able to customize their shiny new purchase to suit themselves, while keeping all their options open down the road. OK, that's all fine and well, and Pivot seems to be adopting that philosophy lately - the LES is crazy flexible, Pivot advertises the Mach6 as the world's most "versatile" enduro bike, and the 429T can be run with 27.5 or 29. I wasn't really thinking of adjustable rear travel on the Switchblade, though. Maybe...
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Matty-B
    Only illegal in 15 states... haha

Us Switchblade Laws - Weapon Laws for Dummies

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm stoked for this. please not a super slack sa and short reach

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If the Switchblade is what I think it is, there will be a L white/orange 429T/XT 2x/LEV dropper for sale on this site for under $5k on May 31st.

mtbr member
    It will be interesting to see if Pivot stays the course with their geometry (slacker seat angle, relatively short reach).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    When the 429T came out, I was a little disappointed in the total travel - had been hoping for a "529" to replace my last bike. If this turns out to be that bike, I'm definitely jumping on one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    fingers crossed. aggressive plus/29 135-140 bike with reasonable sa and reach

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    Ditto.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am having a 429tr built up as I write this... Think my LBS will let me retur/exchange it so I can at least see what is coming so I don't rush into anything.. More travel is like more horsepower, who doesnt want that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    more reach, shorter CS, steeper STA so its rideable. Otherwise exciting . Just got rid of my 429T so there is room.

Elitest thrill junkie
    What the world does not need is another 120-140 mid-travel 29er. Wreckoning, E29, this is the forefront...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ummmm for what? What is this forefront? Mid travel bikes are so good now these longer travel am bikes are becoming more useless by the day

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I am sure it will rewrite the book on how we think about 29er OR 27.5+ bikes depending on what it is and Aaron C will rip on it like he does on every bike. My hope is its 150mm+ category, maybe even 180mm. Something like new Uzzi in carbon or WFO type.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink View Post
    more reach, shorter CS, steeper STA so its rideable. Otherwise exciting . Just got rid of my 429T so there is room.
    Um, I think Chris Cocalis knows how to make a bike that's rideable. Maybe not for you and some others, but, if that's the case, there are other makers. Some of us like to move around on our saddle for different pitches and don't want the seat over the BB.

mtbr member
    I heard from my LBS that it is a 29er. Has anyone ever made a 29er DW link bike with over 130mm travel??? I did a google search and couldn't find one...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm guessing 130-135mm travel with a 150 fork by the kit that the guy in the photo's wearing. Knee pads and launching off of something. And maybe some kind of "switch" to adjust geometry and/or travel. Sort of a Firebird replacement.

mtbr member
    Well that shoots down my idea of a 5" travel 27.5 being announced on May 27th

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Though a longer travel Mach 4 (5.7 replacement) would be great; having ridden both the 5.7 and the Mach 6, I'd say if your heart is set on 27.5, you wouldn't be disappointed with the Mach 6. It climbs as well as a shorter travel bike (I came close to PR on a local climb that I used for a test ride) and is super playful with the dropper post.

(assuming you haven't ridden one yet - if you have, forget what I posted)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i hear it's a 29/27.5 plus bike 150 front 135 rear. no word on geo

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i really dig pivot so i hope the geo isn't a let down

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    isn't the pic on their website a B+ wheelsize? From the looks of things, it will be at least a B+ bike ... hoping the switchblade name represents a switch in geo rather than travel/etc ... something similar to a Hightower. I've been waiting on a new B+/29er with somewhere around 130-140 rear / 140-150 front travel. Keeping my fingers crossed. Judging from Pivots other bikes, I'm sure they will introduce another efficient pedaler ... not too worried about the geometry since Pivot has been dead on with all their other bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    I heard from my LBS that it is a 29er. Has anyone ever made a 29er DW link bike with over 130mm travel??? I did a google search and couldn't find one...
    The BMC Trailfox comes close with it's AS profile. The overall AS numbers would probably need to be a bit higher, but it replicates the flat AS mid-travel section unique to DW bikes, where other bikes bog-down when the suspension activates and you try to accelerate (pedal).

That said, more aggressive 29ers is awesome. With modern materials, there's no reason you can't get another 20mm and have something that will hold up just fine for the occasional bike-park days (and not be severely under-biked).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

EXORCIZE
    I'll guess 27.5+ with 140mm fork and 130mm rear suspension featuring some type of "switch" that allows you to run it high/low like the Trek mini link or whatever that thing is. No 29er option. Targeted at crushing the 5010 and SB5c.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Stumpjumper killer. 135mm rear travel 150 front 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I'll guess 27.5+ with 140mm fork and 130mm rear suspension featuring some type of "switch" that allows you to run it high/low like the Trek mini link or whatever that thing is. No 29er option. Targeted at crushing the 5010 and SB5c.
    You could be right! An Ibis Mojo 3 rival

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not mojo 3 rival. Hightower rival

mtbr member
    Wow I hope its a hightower or yeti 5.5 I'll jump back on a Pivot for sure. Can't wait

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Per the just-received MB Action:

-29 or 27.5+, up to 3.25" tires on the 27.5+ wheels
    -long and low with 16.85" chainstays
    -135mm rear travel, 150mm Fox 36 fork
    -no mention of any "switch" or adjustable link or anything
    -DW link, yada, yada
    -2 photos: carbon with red (not outlined red like the others), and blue with red (like the one on the website)

Too much bike for me, but right up some of you guys' alley.

mtbr member
    I'll take one, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    wow 16.85 cs..how did they get it so short? whats the seat tube angle? sounds like exactly what i want

mtbr member
    I'll take one please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    I'll take one please

I wonder if running a 140 fork up front is possible...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post

I wonder if running a 140 fork up front is possible...

Hmmmm. Once we know the bottom bracket height then it will be easier to make that decision. Maybe it's a 150mm fork in plus mode like the HT and 140mm fork pizza slicer mode

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    my interest level is peaked. i want to see pics and geo

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Like the rocky mountain instinct BC edition? Will be interested to see what Pivot comes up with. My rocky BC is sweet so I'm not looking to change bikes for a couple seasons and will likely stay with rocky assuming they continue to produce an instinct bc and just refine and tweak, because the bike slays everything.

mtbr member
    Per the just-received MB Action:

-29 or 27.5+, up to 3.25" tires on the 27.5+ wheels
    -long and low with 16.85" chainstays
    -135mm rear travel, 150mm Fox 36 fork
    -no mention of any "switch" or adjustable link or anything
    -DW link, yada, yada
    -2 photos: carbon with red (not outlined red like the others), and blue with red (like the one on the website)

Too much bike for me, but right up some of you guys' alley.
    I guess I'll have to track down a copy of MBA in the grocery store!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I guess I'll have to track down a copy of MBA in the grocery store!
    Post some pics if you do!

This sounds like the bike you've been waiting for Vik!

mtbr member
    I'm not getting too excited yet. Long and low are not words I would use to describe my dream bike.

I am curious enough to crack the cover of MBA [at the store] and take a look though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm not getting too excited yet. Long and low are not words I would use to describe my dream bike.

I am curious enough to crack the cover of MBA [at the store] and take a look though.
    Long and low in terms of Pivot Cycles probably isn't all that long and low comparatively.

mtbr member
    Long and low in terms of Pivot Cycles probably isn't all that long and low comparatively.
    One can hope. Either way it will be great to see a new Pivot model. It doesn't matter if it ends up in my garage or not. Good to see the company coming out with their new ideals regardless.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Indeed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Pivot Switchblade-photo-5-26-16-12.14-pm.jpgQuick photo from my computer.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I like the bikepacking friendly shock placement.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 5-26-16 at 12.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	838 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	1072500Quick photo from my computer.
    Headed to my mirror to read it

Natty Dread
    I had a Mach 6 and now have a Trail 429. Love both bikes If the Switchblade follows the above leaked geo/stats then I think it fills a gap in the lineup for Pivot. The Mach 6 is great for super chunky locations i.e. Desert Southwest and East Coast Big Mountains like Virginia and NC. Trail 429 is perfect for probably 80% of riders and locations in the USA. For me I spend time between Coastal CA, Tahoe, Downieville, Rocky Mtn and Desert Southwest. Think the stats on the Switchblade will present itself as a Swiss Army Knife for me. Keep in mind I'm not a 29er hater. So bikes like the Santa Cruz 5010 do not make much sense to me. If you are going to go with short-ish travel because you are doing more epic/aerobic riding, then I think you should go with bigger wheels. At the same time, I get how you might want a bike with more trail feel but the ability to get the 27.5 wheels off the ground. We are lucky to have so much choice. Wonder if Pivot will make a competing bike to the 5010 or the Transition Scout. I've ridden Specialized 6Fattie FSR. Not sure I am sold on the mid fat tires for full suspension. If the tires are too firm they skid out easily with the lower profile treads. If they are too soft they bottom out quite easily messing up the rim etc. I don't think the wheels and tires are there yet on the plus gear to go as big as full susp. will let you get away with. I like plus tires on hard tails because I think it allows you to go bigger when you don't have the advantage of full suspension. If I get the Switchblade I will immediately sell the stock DT Swiss Spline 2 M1700 29er wheels....so lame they keep using this XC wheelset for all mountain bikes, and get the Ibis 938 aluminum wide rims to run 2.3x29 tires with a wider profile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Headed to my mirror to read it

Ha! Good one. I was just posting a pic of the bike from Photo Booth cuz vic said he was gonna go to the grocery to see a pic of the bike so I thought I'd save him a trip. I can't figure out how to get my photos from iPhoto to upload on here and post them.

mtbr member
    Ha! Good one. I was just posting a pic of the bike from Photo Booth cuz vic said he was gonna go to the grocery to see a pic of the bike so I thought I'd save him a trip. I can't figure out how to get my photos from iPhoto to upload on here and post them.
    Just giving you a hard time Is it the July issue?

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 4396
Size:  55.8 KB

mtbr member
    The seattube/DT junction looks Knolly-esque, I guess that'd be how they got the chainstays shorter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 4396
Size:  55.8 KB
    OK there you go. You must be the same age as my teenagers if you know how to do that stuff. lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What's the seat tube angle?

mtbr member
    We should know tommorrow. My LBS has some in stock but is holding off on getting them on the floor till Friday. I did find out thru alternative source that the price is going to skyrocket and availability is going to be very limited.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    74.25 for medium.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    74.25 for medium.

Francis! Did Pivot send you one to review? (Can I borrow it?)

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by swinkey View Post
    Francis! Did Pivot send you one to review? (Can I borrow it?)
    I rode it for three days in Moab. Headed home now. Will publish at midnight.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Just buy it.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This thing seriously sounds bad ass

fc
    stoked Administrator

Kapow
    IPA will save America

EXORCIZE
    details now up at Pivot's website
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

fc
    stoked Administrator
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sweet! Glad I haven't built a Boost 148 rear wheel yet

Geo looks killer, especially in 29er form. Bravo Pivot!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Woohoo new hub standard. Geo looks good indeed with a roomy cockpit.

mtbr member
    Will there be a frame only option?

Pivotal figure
    Here's the video link. BTW, the rear hub isn't really a new standard as you can run an existing 157mm DH hub (same as the carbon Phoenix ) OR you can build a new Boost version. The difference between the 2 hubs is simply flange spacing, both have the rotor in the same location so fitting either version isn't an issue.

The New Pivot Switchblade with Aaron Chase and Mason Bond - Pivot Cycles | Pivot Cycles | Performance Redefined
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    157 makes more sense to me than 148.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    holy shiz pivot. nice work. i want

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is the bike I wanted when I bought my 429T...a little bummed but not so much as the Trail has been wonderful. I'll be getting one of these as soon as their supply loosens up a bit around July/August (just in time for Downieville!!)

Full review up on Bikerumor.

Pivoteer
    holy shiz pivot. nice work. i want
    You're welcome.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Are any of the builds less than 10k? All XTR, all carbon wheels. From 1 minute glance...

Those look like wide carbon rims too.

Bob

mtbr member
    Now I know why I was hanging onto my King 150mm rear a 20mm front 29er wheels off my old lunch box. Looks like I may not be able to do this. I may need to convert my i9s then.
    Just need a new axle and good to go.

Is the only difference between the 29er and 27.5+ are the wheels and tires? Forks are the same? Because I would order the 27.5 since I have a set of 29er wheels already.

mtbr member
    I predicted the rise of Super Boost...although I was calling it Boosty Boost.

and I was pretty sure I could just wait out the demise of Boost...I didn't realize it would be this short a wait!

Now I predict Boost MEGA!

Lots of nice features and details on this bike. Not sure it's the right bike for me, but hopefully I can get a ride on one when I am down in UT/AZ this fall.

I've added it to my list of potential new 29ers.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I wonder what the opinion of Pivot would be on running a 140mm 29er fork up front with the 17mm lower cup?

I already have a nearly brand new 2016 Fox 34 140mm fork that I'd like to use if possible.

Does the frameset come with both lower headset cup options?

mtbr member
    Bravo to Pivot for pushing the envelope.

mtbr member
    which size are you looking at CollinM? as usual.... on the cusp sizes.

mtbr member
    Probably a large at 5'11. Seat tube is short enough at 18 inches to run a 170mm dropper if I wanted to with my long legs (34.5 inch cycling inseam).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Going to do so! Anyone interested in a lightly used 429T/L/XT 2x?

mtbr member
    Wow this is a beautifully designed bike! I like the rear 157 hub with the wider flange spacing. This makes more sense than 148. It sounds like it uses a 73mm BB with slightly different offset chain rings. Am I correct in this?
    Very cool bike and so versitle. I loved my past Pivots and this could become another for me.
    I wonder what the frame weight is at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Wow this is a beautifully designed bike! I like the rear 157 hub with the wider flange spacing. This makes more sense than 148. It sounds like it uses a 73mm BB with slightly different offset chain rings. Am I correct in this?
    Very cool bike and so versitle. I loved my past Pivots and this could become another for me.
    6.4 pounds medium frame
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/pivot-swi...irst-look.html

mtbr member
    Finally a sensible reach and STA numbers. Good job Pivot!

mtbr member
    I'll take the blue frame please

mtbr member
    I wonder what the opinion of Pivot would be on running a 140mm 29er fork up front with the 17mm lower cup?

I already have a nearly brand new 2016 Fox 34 140mm fork that I'd like to use if possible.

Does the frameset come with both lower headset cup options?
    I would think that would work but you could also buy the 150 air spring and change them out. Also running a 160 fork on this bike would be a good option in b+.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure that the 2016 Fox 34 can be set at 150?

mtbr member
    I was thinking it had 10mm increments in travel, no?

mtbr member
    I was thinking it had 10mm increments in travel, no?
    I just know they don't offer a 150mm version in stock form. I hope I'm wrong

mtbr member
    Wow, I like this. Might get me back on a Pivot. I was all set on either Hightower or SB55 next. But I didn't want to spend SB55 money and haven't had a chance to demo Hightower yet. Guess I need to look for a Pivot demo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    "We needed super stiff wheels for all of the hardcore pounding we were going to do on this bike."

"And then we specced it with an XC shock."

mtbr member
    ^^ that did seem weird. The SB frame weight is pretty comparable to the M6 once you factor in the lighter shock.

It would be nice to have a burlier shock option/no shock option on a frame only purchase so you don't have to replace the shock for a more aggressive build.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Here's the video link. BTW, the rear hub isn't really a new standard as you can run an existing 157mm DH hub (same as the carbon Phoenix ) OR you can build a new Boost version. The difference between the 2 hubs is simply flange spacing, both have the rotor in the same location so fitting either version isn't an issue.

The New Pivot Switchblade with Aaron Chase and Mason Bond - Pivot Cycles | Pivot Cycles | Performance Redefined

One solid hub for both trail and DH bikes!

Finally a real mountain hub, for all mountain bikes. Only took, what, 30 years.

Not half-assed roadie revamps.

A nail in the coffin of 148.

Matty-B
    It uses a PF92 BB. That is a bottom bracket shell that is 92mm wide which matches the width of a 73mm BSA. The use of a slightly longer spindle (143mm on RF Next SL 1X), and flipping the race face ring achieves the chainline needed while maintaining a reasonable q-factor
    Last edited by Mattyboughton; 05-27-2016 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    As a relatively fresh owner of 429T , I'm not tooo happy about this haha, but in reality 429T is amazingly capable bike, extremely versatile and fun.
    Switchblade looks good on paper, but I doubt it will be as agile and zippy.
    It will rip down at speed over open gnarly trails no doubt.

Wondering about ETT sizing for the same saddle height compared to 429T?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyboughton View Post
    It uses a PF92 BB. That is a bottom bracket shell that is 92mm wide which matches the width of a 73mm BSA. The use of a slightly longer spindle (143mm on RF Next SL 1X), and flipping the race face ring achieves the chainline needed while maintaining a reasonable q-factor
    Thanks for that info. That's one of the good things about the cinch system is ability to change axle lengths.

mtbr member
    6.4 pounds medium frame
    http://m.pinkbike.com/news/pivot-swi...irst-look.html

Very similar on weight to our Followings. I'm still digging my Following and not in the market now.

mtbr member
    Very similar on weight to our Followings. I'm still digging my Following and not in the market now.
    I was hating on my Following for a minute because of how it was climbing. I demoed an Ibis Ripley LS and got even for hate for it. But then I dropped my MRP stage to 130mm and its like a completely new bike. So I am kinda in the market. But still going to rip my Following for now. It has been good to me for West Virginia Enduro Series racing.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Here's a couple drawings that explain the new hub better. An old DH 157 will indeed work. But it will be less laterally stiff on a 29er. Don't have the exact number on that yet. Anybody a math wiz?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Switchblade-screen-shot-2016-05-27-12.38.56-pm.jpg  

Pivot Switchblade-screen-shot-2016-05-27-12.36.53-pm.jpg  

Pivot Switchblade-p5250002.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I was hating on my Following for a minute because of how it was climbing. I demoed an Ibis Ripley LS and got even for hate for it. But then I dropped my MRP stage to 130mm and its like a completely new bike. So I am kinda in the market. But still going to rip my Following for now. It has been good to me for West Virginia Enduro Series racing.

You must have longer legs/ slacker SA than me. I ride my Stage at 140 and it really climbs great for me. In high/ 140 Stage I measure my effective SA at 74+ deg and 73.5 in low setting.
    I took the bike down to Pisgah for a week late last month and ride it in low with the Stage at 140. I rode a bunch of laps off of clawhammer and Laurel/ Pilot and it did surprisingly well for how slack it was. It did shred the descents though.
    I've got it set up in my endurance build now with the RS-1 120 and it's really well mannered up and down. The RS-1 is amazingly plush and bottomless (2 tokens) for only 120mm travel.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast