Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 2155
  1. #2101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12
    @BoomShakkaLagga i put in a standard RF Next SL, flipped chainring to adjust for the chainline.
    Super Boost Plus hubs from DT should come this year for aftermarket, however you can just use a standard DH hub as well.

  2. #2102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    59
    You can use a regular RF Aeffect crank with a flipped standard cinch chainring. The crank Arms will clear the chainstays, and the flipped ring will give you the 57mm chainline.

  3. #2103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    128
    Selling my stock 29er Sunringles. Message me if you want some cheap 29er wheels for your Switchblade.

    Pivot Switchblade-img_1130.jpg

  4. #2104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomShakkaLagga View Post
    Hi,

    Not sure if this topic was already there at some point, but Pivot has two exotic "standards" built in the Switchblade.

    Hopefully someone can answer my questions concerning these:

    I guess if I destroy the crank arms, can I simply buy crank RF arms somewhere, as the independent wider RF crank axle is the "non" standard here? I am a little paranoid when it comes to non-standards and possibly travelling over longer time or to more remote areas with a bike.
    (Bad experience - since then I am one of the guys who has a derailleur hanger in the backpack...)

    For the wheelsets, are they available individually and do I go through Pivot? In case I want the other size 27.5+/29 additionally. What about individual prices of the DTSwiss OEM wheelsets? Are the known?
    What if I want a 30mm inner width 29er rim? Conveniently possible? Are the "super boost plus" hubs available at the aftermarket and can I, re. my LBS or a wheelbuilder order them and build a custom wheelset?


    Thanks!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Regarding wheels...

    The rims are whatever. Get what you want. For the hubs, yes, there are several vendors that have the "super boost" rear spacing. You will just have to get them custom ordered or built. I9, DT Swiss, Stans....you have hub options spanning budget ranges.

  5. #2105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    205
    My switchblade came with the standard alloy aeffect crankset and I upgraded to the Next SL crankset. The NEXT SL came with the standard 134mm spindle and I bought the specific spindle that Pivot told me to get which is Race Face Part # F30037. The chainring I'm using is the Absolute Black 30T Oval (NON BOOST) version and my chainline I measured is 59mm. I see most are saying the optimal chainline is 57mm. I haven't seen any issues with 59mm chainline as of yet. I've got about 600 miles on the drivetrain and I've never had to make any adjustments. Chainware seems normal and no issues with the cassette or chainring. If I wanted to get to the 57mm chainline, whats my best option to get there? Remove a space or something between the crank arm and bottom bracket?

  6. #2106
    Waldmeister
    Reputation: BoomShakkaLagga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    36
    Anyone running a 160mm fork? Thoughts?
    IMTB

  7. #2107
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,223
    Do your cranks have the thin alloy spacers on the spindle? We've been shipping them with Three 1mm spacers & One 2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side and One 1mm & One 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. You can move spacers to adjust the chainline for specific rings as needed, usually just move a 1mm spacer over to the drive side.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    My switchblade came with the standard alloy aeffect crankset and I upgraded to the Next SL crankset. The NEXT SL came with the standard 134mm spindle and I bought the specific spindle that Pivot told me to get which is Race Face Part # F30037. The chainring I'm using is the Absolute Black 30T Oval (NON BOOST) version and my chainline I measured is 59mm. I see most are saying the optimal chainline is 57mm. I haven't seen any issues with 59mm chainline as of yet. I've got about 600 miles on the drivetrain and I've never had to make any adjustments. Chainware seems normal and no issues with the cassette or chainring. If I wanted to get to the 57mm chainline, whats my best option to get there? Remove a space or something between the crank arm and bottom bracket?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  8. #2108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomShakkaLagga View Post
    Anyone running a 160mm fork? Thoughts?
    I suggest reading through the pages in this thread... there are dozens of pages about 160mm. Plenty of other great insights too. Many have loved 160mm with zero stack headset cup.

  9. #2109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: g.law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    98
    Anybody using a Cane Creek shock on their Switchblade? Looking to upgrade and wondered if anyone has had any mounting issues with Cane Creek. Looks like you just need to make sure you get the right mounting hardware when you order the shock, but looking for someone who has real experience.

  10. #2110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by g.law View Post
    Anybody using a Cane Creek shock on their Switchblade? Looking to upgrade and wondered if anyone has had any mounting issues with Cane Creek. Looks like you just need to make sure you get the right mounting hardware when you order the shock, but looking for someone who has real experience.
    Had one on my Mach 6 as,well as several friends. Had to send back three times with performance issues within six months,clunking,dead,squeeking. All of us had similar issues,word was that upper Pivot linkage put stress on shock causing premature failure.

    Seriously consider the Fox X2,I have had several CC on other bikes and performed great but X2 is all that in comparrison properly set up.

  11. #2111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    690
    I had to send mine back 3 times on my Mach 6 as well - ironic. They too blamed the Yoke design, not the shock. I finally demanded a new one and since then, it has been very good. Will probably go X2 on my next bike.

    Not to change the subject, but it looks like there are several owners who have gone from a Mach 6 to a Switchblade. Currently looking at this bike as well as a Wreckoning, SB5.5, and a Jeffsy. Any downside to the Switchblade compared to the Mach 6. Love my bike, but I am ready for some new geometry.

  12. #2112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    29
    Just got my 27.5+ wheels to complement my 29er wheels. Very impressed with the ability to roll over rock beds vs. navigating thru them. Climbed just as well as my 29er's, and a blast downhilling. Glad I got them!!!

  13. #2113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stupordave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    I had to send mine back 3 times on my Mach 6 as well - ironic. They too blamed the Yoke design, not the shock. I finally demanded a new one and since then, it has been very good. Will probably go X2 on my next bike.

    Not to change the subject, but it looks like there are several owners who have gone from a Mach 6 to a Switchblade. Currently looking at this bike as well as a Wreckoning, SB5.5, and a Jeffsy. Any downside to the Switchblade compared to the Mach 6. Love my bike, but I am ready for some new geometry.

    I came from a Mach 6 that I loved. The Mach 6 was definitely more playful; easier to toss around in the air and pop off just about anything. But no comparison in stiffness to the SB as it loves speed and hold lines better in rocky terrain. It's also very balanced in the air so bigger tables and drops with a transition seem effortless. The 29" setup and more centered riding position also helps me clean technical climbs that I found difficult on the Mach 6. I missed a bit of the plushness at first but got it dialed for my local trails so finally sold the 6. It takes a bit more work to finess the bike through some technical sections but a bit less rebound damping in the front and rear made a huge difference in improving it's playfulness.

  14. #2114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: g.law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    98
    Is the right X2 the 2017 with the EVOL can?

  15. #2115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimling View Post
    Just got my 27.5+ wheels to complement my 29er wheels. Very impressed with the ability to roll over rock beds vs. navigating thru them. Climbed just as well as my 29er's, and a blast downhilling. Glad I got them!!!
    Which wheelset did you go with? Custom build or off the shelf from somewhere?

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  16. #2116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    29
    I purchased a set of stock pivot wheels from my LBS. they came with the rims, rotors, tires and cassette the same as my XT/XTR build. No issues swapping them out and lines up perfectly.

  17. #2117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9
    Hi guys - I've been having issues with carbon cranks on my Switchblade. So far I've cracked 2 sets of Next SL G4's and 1 set of Sixc's.

    Traditionally, I'm a big fan of Shimano cranks - xt, xtr, saint have all treated me well in the past, not to mention great bottom bracket longevity.

    What options do I have that will fit the Switchblade that aren't total boat anchors as far as weight is concerned?

    Thanks in advance!

  18. #2118
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by ENDUBMUD View Post
    Hi guys - I've been having issues with carbon cranks on my Switchblade. So far I've cracked 2 sets of Next SL G4's and 1 set of Sixc's.

    Traditionally, I'm a big fan of Shimano cranks - xt, xtr, saint have all treated me well in the past, not to mention great bottom bracket longevity.

    What options do I have that will fit the Switchblade that aren't total boat anchors as far as weight is concerned?

    Thanks in advance!
    Wow. I ride in rocks and my Next SLs and SixCs have held up. Are you a Clyde or are you slamming your cranks into rocks? Are you doing big drops? Light is nice, but if you ain't ridin you ain't ridin.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  19. #2119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Wow. I ride in rocks and my Next SLs and SixCs have held up. Are you a Clyde or are you slamming your cranks into rocks? Are you doing big drops? Light is nice, but if you ain't ridin you ain't ridin.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Totally agree, I just want something that works at this point. I weigh 200 and not too many rocks in the northwest - just hucking and ripping. The failures come from the pedal insert area, not from ground strikes.

  20. #2120
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,469
    You're probably more aggressive than most including myself. I'm an XT fan boy but SRAM X9s and BBs are pretty tough. Could always try the new E13 carbon cranks.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  21. #2121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    You're probably more aggressive than most including myself. I'm an XT fan boy but SRAM X9s and BBs are pretty tough. Could always try the new E13 carbon cranks.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Are those available in at least a 173mm q factor and along w/ a 56mm chainline? It doesn't look like the x9's are and can't find info on the e13's right off.

  22. #2122
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,469
    Duh. I forgot about the new standard. Atlas? They are heavy though.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  23. #2123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelheadsteve View Post
    Does anyone here have the Race XT build? It's the cheapest one at $5,199. Just wondering how it rides and what it weighs.
    Have it. 29er in XL. First SB in Sweden?

    Was on a L alu Spez Enduro 29 from 2014 before. It was upgraded to full XT 1x11 driveline, Command Post IR etc.

    My SB came with the rear shock from one build kit up it seems. Got Factory and Kashima labels etc. Not complaining.

    The SLX stuff works great and Sunringle wheels seem solid.

    Don't care about weight.

    30t is ridiculous. I've ordered a 34t ring.
    Magic Mary replaced front tire. Otherwise the kit seems very well matched.

    I'm 190 cm and 110 kg so I need pretty much max psi in both fork and shock. Running with the tall cup. Has had some pedal strike issues but think I've found the hang of it and working pressures now.

    Very happy with it so far! It pedals great and the fit is perfect. I try to stand up a lot and it's a lot more responsive than my old Enduro doing so. Not missing anything going downwards either.
    Last edited by Krompa; 1 Week Ago at 07:11 AM. Reason: Typo

  24. #2124
    PCT
    PCT is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    136
    Finally got my SB up and running. Best technical climbing bike I have owned thus far.

    Pivot Switchblade-0.jpg

    The stock DT plus wheelset is pretty good and f/r Dirt Wizards have superb traction. Planning to migrate a Derby 29er wheelset from the old Lunchbox for faster rides.

    Full application of helicopter tape with shelter tape on chainstays and downtube. Bash guard and an oval 30T, might drop to a 28T. Stock shock is fine but definitely eyeballing the X2.

  25. #2125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    91
    Great looking bike! I had the X2 on mine and prefer the DVO Topaz that I just installed over the X2.
    On the X2, I wasn't able to get rid of the bobbing up and down while pedaling without using the lockout switch. With the lockout switch, it's absolutely firm - more than I would expect.
    The DVO is smoother on washboard roads and does not bob up and down at all while pedal or standing out of the saddle - it's an overall much more comfortable ride as well. Climbing is more efficient than the X2 even with the DVO wide open.
    I ride primarily at South Mountain in Phoenix where most of the riding is XC with some very light downhill on Ranger, National and Javelina trails.

  26. #2126
    PCT
    PCT is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    136
    Just rode National the other week on a trip through Phoenix and Sedona. Awesome technical riding, Waterfall was nice n zesty. Will look into the DVO Topaz thanks!

  27. #2127
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Joined the Switchblade club this past weekend! I'm still getting 'er dialed in but first impressions are solid. My build is mostly stock Team XX1 29'er with the Float X2 upgrade. I swapped out bars stem, grips, and saddle just to get my contact points where I like them, bolted on a One-up bash guide, and swapped in a 2.5 Minion DHF WT up front. My bike shipped with the 17 mm lower headset cup for 27.5+ installed so I left it in for now.

    First impressions, the stiffness is just off the charts. I've never experienced a 29'er with such point-and-shoot precision. I have quite a bit of time on the 29'er Reynolds Blacklabels in 142 form and the difference between that and Superboost is pretty significant. Pedaling performance is best described as snappy. Even though my bike built up with no considerations for weight, it has a real sense of urgency jamming up fire roads and very responsive to out of the saddle efforts with the X2 pro-pedal engaged.

    I'm very curious to see how I feel about the climbing position and increased reach with the intended zero-stack cup in place. Reach drops from 440 to 430 with the 17 mm cup and it certainly feels a little short compared to my medium Firebird which sits at 445. On the up side, the extra 17 mm stack makes the Switchblade super playful, it's effortless to bring the front wheel up, barely have to weight shift back. 29" wheels + 17 mm cup = fun mode? I have a Works -2 headset on the way to play with as well. I really like running a 35 mm stem but even with 785 bars to calm it, the front gets a little nervous at speed with the 66.5 HTA (that also means it's quite responsive at low speeds, tradeoffs...).

    And yeah, I did manage to fit a small bottle and cage but the positioning is not dialed quite yet. TBD if I can get it to where it fits well.


  28. #2128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    29
    I'm really interested in the One Up Bash Guide you installed. What part number is it and where did you get it? How difficult is it to install? Any issues with it?

  29. #2129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    Joined the Switchblade club this past weekend! I'm still getting 'er dialed in but first impressions are solid. My build is mostly stock Team XX1 29'er with the Float X2 upgrade. I swapped out bars stem, grips, and saddle just to get my contact points where I like them, bolted on a One-up bash guide, and swapped in a 2.5 Minion DHF WT up front. My bike shipped with the 17 mm lower headset cup for 27.5+ installed so I left it in for now.

    First impressions, the stiffness is just off the charts. I've never experienced a 29'er with such point-and-shoot precision. I have quite a bit of time on the 29'er Reynolds Blacklabels in 142 form and the difference between that and Superboost is pretty significant. Pedaling performance is best described as snappy. Even though my bike built up with no considerations for weight, it has a real sense of urgency jamming up fire roads and very responsive to out of the saddle efforts with the X2 pro-pedal engaged.

    I'm very curious to see how I feel about the climbing position and increased reach with the intended zero-stack cup in place. Reach drops from 440 to 430 with the 17 mm cup and it certainly feels a little short compared to my medium Firebird which sits at 445. On the up side, the extra 17 mm stack makes the Switchblade super playful, it's effortless to bring the front wheel up, barely have to weight shift back. 29" wheels + 17 mm cup = fun mode? I have a Works -2 headset on the way to play with as well. I really like running a 35 mm stem but even with 785 bars to calm it, the front gets a little nervous at speed with the 66.5 HTA (that also means it's quite responsive at low speeds, tradeoffs...).

    And yeah, I did manage to fit a small bottle and cage but the positioning is not dialed quite yet. TBD if I can get it to where it fits well.

    That looks amazing, congratulations! It's the first and only pic I've been able to find with Eagle XX1 installed and an X2, exactly the spec I'd be looking at.

  30. #2130
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimling View Post
    I'm really interested in the One Up Bash Guide you installed. What part number is it and where did you get it? How difficult is it to install? Any issues with it?
    No problems, super easy to install. You can find them at most large online retailers, this is the exact part:
    https://www.oneupcomponents.com/prod...shguide-iscg05

    I also really like the MRP's AMG and SXG guides which will also bolt right up without hassle:
    Chainguide Overview — MRP

  31. #2131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Estolworthy View Post
    Here is my final design to prevent frame damage. I used rubber and zip ties. I tested it today and it works great.





    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Nice idea on the thicker rubber cover! This has worked well for me so far. Doesn't seem like it will do any rubbing or cause any wear either. Just a cut out from an old tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Switchblade-img_8633.jpg  


  32. #2132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    592
    So if I drop 5k or so in this bike I have to jerry rig a piece of rubber down there?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #2133
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    So if I drop 5k or so in this bike I have to jerry rig a piece of rubber down there?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You could Derek rig it!

  34. #2134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    So if I drop 5k or so in this bike I have to jerry rig a piece of rubber down there?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pivot is releasing a guard that will protect the linkage area. Its pretty simple and basic but will get the job done. Should be released within 1-2 months.

  35. #2135
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    That looks amazing, congratulations! It's the first and only pic I've been able to find with Eagle XX1 installed and an X2, exactly the spec I'd be looking at.
    Thanks. Hard to go wrong with Eagle and if you live somewhere with trails and have the inclination to take advantage of the X2, it's a pretty sweet shock. I'm still dialing it in but have X2's on a few other bikes including a Firebird and have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm running 185 psi for about 16mm sag for my read-to-ride weight between 175 and 180 lbs. I've been spinning the dials on every ride but haven't gone back to check where I've settle so far. I keep creeping up the fork pressure and volume spacers to try to match the X2. I feel like I'm getting close to a balance point with the 36 currently at 77 psi with 2 orange and 1 blue spacer and about 7 clicks of LSC and it's really standing up nicely now while not feeling harsh. I pretty much leave the FIT 4 in the medium compression damping position all the time.

    Note that I had to modify a very low-profile Arundel carbon sideloader to fit bottle inside the front triangle with the X2. The official party line is that a bottle/cage doesn't fit with an X2 and I'd agree with that statement. I've noticed a few folks with X2's trying to make bottles work so I thought I'd bring it up.

  36. #2136
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    Thanks. Hard to go wrong with Eagle and if you live somewhere with trails and have the inclination to take advantage of the X2, it's a pretty sweet shock. I'm still dialing it in but have X2's on a few other bikes including a Firebird and have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm running 185 psi for about 16mm sag for my read-to-ride weight between 175 and 180 lbs. I've been spinning the dials on every ride but haven't gone back to check where I've settle so far. I keep creeping up the fork pressure and volume spacers to try to match the X2. I feel like I'm getting close to a balance point with the 36 currently at 77 psi with 2 orange and 1 blue spacer and about 7 clicks of LSC and it's really standing up nicely now while not feeling harsh. I pretty much leave the FIT 4 in the medium compression damping position all the time.

    Note that I had to modify a very low-profile Arundel carbon sideloader to fit bottle inside the front triangle with the X2. The official party line is that a bottle/cage doesn't fit with an X2 and I'd agree with that statement. I've noticed a few folks with X2's trying to make bottles work so I thought I'd bring it up.
    I had the same issue with my X2, I was constantly changing the settings to find something that kind of worked on the trail. This was not the case with the DVO... I set it once and it's right where I want it. It was so easy to set up and the ride is now better than the X2.

    I have a large Switchblade and a CamelBak Podium Chill 21 oz Insulated water bottle fit with both the X2 and DVO in any water bottle cage.
    Pivot Switchblade-bottle.jpg

  37. #2137
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by ryknown View Post
    I had the same issue with my X2, I was constantly changing the settings to find something that kind of worked on the trail. This was not the case with the DVO... I set it once and it's right where I want it. It was so easy to set up and the ride is now better than the X2.

    I have a large Switchblade and a CamelBak Podium Chill 21 oz Insulated water bottle fit with both the X2 and DVO in any water bottle cage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottle.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	1127760
    I didn't mean to imply that the X2 is fiddly or needs to be changed constantly but there is a setup period where typically I'll go through several tweaks per ride to get it just right. On the other hand, I totally appreciate what you're saying. The X2 is a beast of a shock but you need to riding beastly trails on a regular basis to make it worth it. I'd happily ride the DPS, a DVO, or several other great shocks on the market under the right conditions. And as you noted, makes the water bottle setup a lot easier.

  38. #2138
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Got another ride in last night. I've decided that while I won't be leaving the 17 mm lower cup in long-term that is darn fun. The front end is so light that descending is a near constant front-wheel high, pivot on the rear axle affair. Hooligan riding at its finest albeit, probably not the fastest way down the hill. For those concerned with pedal strikes, you can be almost reckless with the 29" wheel and 17 mm cup combo, even running flat pedals.

    Climbing is still pretty darn good with the tall cup but I have to lean forward just a touch more than I'd prefer. I'm running my saddle all the way forward but the short 35 mm stem limits my weight shift. The 35 mm stem is also a bit too quick steering with the stock HTA for fast trails but is a blast on the really twisty-turny stuff. Hoping to have my -2 Works headset in for the weekend to calm things down a bit. And to be be clear, I'm not suggesting the SB geo is flawed, just that I choose to run a very short stem which requires a slack HTA to keep things calm at high speed. As it is, the bike is an absolute ripper for most of the low to moderate speed AM trails around here.

    I still can't get over how stiff and responsive this platform is. We've been riding a lot of mud and wet roots lately and getting this bike on line and holding it is such a treat. I can totally see now how guys like Noah (Sears) are racing this bike on rowdy courses with excellent results.

  39. #2139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that the X2 is fiddly or needs to be changed constantly but there is a setup period where typically I'll go through several tweaks per ride to get it just right. On the other hand, I totally appreciate what you're saying. The X2 is a beast of a shock but you need to riding beastly trails on a regular basis to make it worth it. I'd happily ride the DPS, a DVO, or several other great shocks on the market under the right conditions. And as you noted, makes the water bottle setup a lot easier.
    I absolutely agree, "Under the right conditions" is the important part. I do more climbing than riding flowy downhill trails that include jumps. The water bottle fit even better with the X2.

  40. #2140
    PCT
    PCT is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    136
    Considering an upgrade to the stock Float. I have a new DB Air CS (from warrantied Inline) but I am concerned from previous comments that it may have reliability issues when used on a Switchblade. The X2 is tempting but really want effective lockout/pro-pedal/descending modes. Looking into the DVO Topaz. Anybody have more detailed info/experiences with the DB Air CS or other suggestions?

  41. #2141
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Considering an upgrade to the stock Float. I have a new DB Air CS (from warrantied Inline) but I am concerned from previous comments that it may have reliability issues when used on a Switchblade. The X2 is tempting but really want effective lockout/pro-pedal/descending modes. Looking into the DVO Topaz. Anybody have more detailed info/experiences with the DB Air CS or other suggestions?
    I've had several CC air and coil shocks including CS and IL versions and have generally experienced solid reliability with only 1 complete failure over a nearly a 9 year run. The tuneability is excellent and it's the only shock that you can run with the CS full open, full closed, or anywhere in between. That said, the air spring curve feels a bit old school compared to the new gen Fox and the breakaway force is generally higher IME. As much as I love Cane Creek, you might actually find it to be a 1 step forward, 2 steps back scenario. I now have both a Firebird and a Switchblade, both with X2's and IMO the shortcomings of the X2's ProPedal tune is purely (at least mostly) academic. The SB with the X2 tuned well climbs as well in the open position as most bikes with ProPedal engaged. With the ProPedal on you get awesome pedal mashing support for out of the saddle charging.

    I can't comment on the DVO, might be a solid option but I have zero time on the Topaz.

  42. #2142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3
    Does the DVO work better than the Stock Fox shock? I would like more performance with the shock, but don't really want to add much weight or spend $600.00. The DVO at 330 grams and $419.00 looks like a good option.

  43. #2143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    418
    Had a dvo on the sb when x2 was being fixed to me it was useless, bucked me off the bike no matter what i did with settings. got the x2 back and there is simply no comparison.

  44. #2144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    Had a dvo on the sb when x2 was being fixed to me it was useless, bucked me off the bike no matter what i did with settings. got the x2 back and there is simply no comparison.
    That's how I felt with the X2 - it was useless since wide-open made it a pogo-stick and the climb switch enabled was much too firm.

    The DPS Fox shock worked great and better than the X2 as well, but the DPS shock got very hot riding short downhill sections (1 mile) here in Phoenix.

    I just took the Switchblade with the DVO to Sedona for 25 miles of riding trails like Hogwash, Easy Breezy, Mystic, Broken Arrow, Mescal, and Canyon of Fools. It performed amazing. I do have three bands in the positive section of the shock chamber and one band in the negative.

  45. #2145
    Err
    Err is offline
    Calm like a bomb
    Reputation: Err's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,527
    Quote Originally Posted by ryknown View Post
    it was useless since wide-open made it a pogo-stick
    I completely respect your choice to move to the DVO and it sounds like a great shock for your purposes but I wanted to point out for others that that if your X2 made your bike feel like a pogo-stick wide-open then there was either a setup issue or a problem with the shock. X2 setup can be near to overwhelming to even the most seasoned riders but it does have all the bells and whistles to dial in the open mode performance any way you want it (within reason). Usually when I see a complaint like this it's due to some combination of not quite enough PSI, too little LSC, and/or too little LSR.

    As for the performance with the ProPedal enabled, yeah, it's quite firm and not for everyone. Personally, I like that attribute in most situations but I understand why many might not. Riding in the desert SW in particular with all the ledges is not the best place to use an X2 with ProPedal engaged, it just makes the rear want to hang-up.

  46. #2146
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    418
    What he said, also you may simply not be rad enough for an x2-sorry!!

  47. #2147
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    I completely respect your choice to move to the DVO and it sounds like a great shock for your purposes but I wanted to point out for others that that if your X2 made your bike feel like a pogo-stick wide-open then there was either a setup issue or a problem with the shock. X2 setup can be near to overwhelming to even the most seasoned riders but it does have all the bells and whistles to dial in the open mode performance any way you want it (within reason). Usually when I see a complaint like this it's due to some combination of not quite enough PSI, too little LSC, and/or too little LSR.
    Yep, the X2 is more difficult than most shocks to set up, which is why we have another forum topic just on how to set the X2 for their Switchblade. After I could not get the X2 where I wanted it, I hired a suspension expert to meet me at local trail to set it up with me. We readjusted and retested the shock over and over for a few hours. While this made the X2 better, the shock still had a lot of movement while pedaling unless the climb switch was engaged. That was not the case with the DVO. I put it on, set the sag, and added the bands based on recommendations I found on another reviewer's site. I spent about two hours total setting the DVO up and on the first ride, it rode better (for me) than the X2.

    Ultimately, I did not enjoy the constant fiddling with the X2 without getting the desired results. The X2 was not for me - I'm glad it's working for you. But, if there is someone else wondering if anyone likes the DVO Topaz on the Switchblade, I do.

    I appreciate the discussion. By the way, Sedona was awesome. It's a great place to ride!

  48. #2148
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,469
    Just got back from Sedona. The X2 is a little squishy on flatter trails. Initially drove to Yuma for good weather and I had to firm up the shock for the smooth trails there. Overall I like it much better than the DPS. I am sending the fork and shock to Avalanche. Not really necessary, but nothing but the best for my baby. I personally don't think the SB is a good choice if your trails don't have a good bit of chunk.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  49. #2149
    mtbr member
    Reputation: g.law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    98
    I just ordered the Fox X2 for my Switchblade and I'm looking for an initial set up to get started on tuning it. I weigh 195lbs ready to ride. Anybody have input on set up to get me started?

  50. #2150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    160
    G law go to pivot cycles setup page. They have good detailed info for x2 setup. I used their recommendations and I'm very happy. The SB is very good w this shock

Similar Threads

  1. Too fat for Switchblade???
    By MR. ED in forum Titus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
  2. Tange Switchblade?
    By jacobslide in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
  3. Switchblade pivot replacement question
    By Jaybo in forum Titus
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 01:21 AM
  4. new Switchblade in action...
    By tommyrod74 in forum Titus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 04:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •