Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
Results 2,601 to 2,632 of 2632
  1. #2601
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,558
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I've been toying with an idea of getting a more agressive bike than my 429T and actually found a guy who would buy my Trail.

    I'm still unsure if I'd sell it or not since the bike is really great, but in case I do, I was looking to get something in line with Switchblade, Hightower or Jeffsy.

    I've seen boatload of Switchblades popping up for sale in Europe lately, some complete bikes and some as frameset only.

    How come? It's supposed to be hot new bike and considering Pivot's pricing, it's not a cheap bike to purchase yet the amount of second hand bikes on the market is pretty high, more than Hightower or Jeffsy.

    There are some polarizing reviews which is uncommon for most modern bikes which are generally very highly rated. For instance I can't find bad review on Jeffsy or Hightower, but there are some bad reviews for SB.

    Seems like the bike lacks "character", it's neither fun and playful bike like Trail, Jeffsy, Following or Fuel EX and it's neither monster truck high speed train such as Wreckoning, Slash or Enduro.

    Am I wrong here?
    IMHO some of the reviewers could be. I find the bike to posses a ton of character, itís fun and playful, it monster trucks like nothing else Iíve ridden and is very stable at high speeds.

    From what I gather, some people still arenít sold on Superboost, that could be a reason why youíre seeing some up for sale, maybe?

    Iíll be keeping mine for the long haul though, I absolutely love it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  2. #2602
    Natty Dread
    Reputation: Flat Pedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    I've been toying with an idea of getting a more agressive bike than my 429T and actually found a guy who would buy my Trail.

    I'm still unsure if I'd sell it or not since the bike is really great, but in case I do, I was looking to get something in line with Switchblade, Hightower or Jeffsy.

    I've seen boatload of Switchblades popping up for sale in Europe lately, some complete bikes and some as frameset only.

    How come? It's supposed to be hot new bike and considering Pivot's pricing, it's not a cheap bike to purchase yet the amount of second hand bikes on the market is pretty high, more than Hightower or Jeffsy.

    There are some polarizing reviews which is uncommon for most modern bikes which are generally very highly rated. For instance I can't find bad review on Jeffsy or Hightower, but there are some bad reviews for SB.

    Seems like the bike lacks "character", it's neither fun and playful bike like Trail, Jeffsy, Following or Fuel EX and it's neither monster truck high speed train such as Wreckoning, Slash or Enduro.

    Am I wrong here?
    I think it has a lot to do with the rate at which Pivot is pumping out new bikes with considerable overlap. I sold my Switchblade and replaced it with the Mach 5.5 which is a more playful bike. Though the Switchblade is no slouch for a 29er. It's definitely more burl than party but it doesn't flex around like some 29ers do. Think the sell of of SB's is more about people wisely playing the bike flipping game to keep pace with the advancements and trends. The SB is a rowdier bike than either the Jeffsy 29 or Hightower regular travel. I'd recommend riding a SB and seeing what you think. Though it you want the latest and greatest from Pivot you should be looking at the 5.5 or the Mach 6. Coming off the 429T I think the bike for you is the 5.5. It's got the same mid link suspension design which is more playful then the behind the seat post linkage design on the SB, FB and M6. The 27.5x2.6 tires give you a lot of traction and stability like the 29 but the bike is more maneuverable. I think it's the most versatile bike that Pivot currently has in their deep arsenal.

  3. #2603
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    563
    ^^^ I agree. The SB is a great bike, especially on paper. Maybe a better Enduro bike than the 5.5, but the 5.5 is definitely more fun. I had both and sold the SB after getting used to the 5.5. It's hard to describe; it's more nimble, more jumpable, it's just more fun IMO, and that's why I ride bikes.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

  4. #2604
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12
    If anyone is looking for a Medium SwitchBlade I got mine up for sale and also the stock Dt swiss OEM 1700 29r wheels

    Willing to part out frame if needed FYI its a new upgraded 2018 Frame new in July.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2269331/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2275512/

  5. #2605
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanej View Post
    If anyone is looking for a Medium SwitchBlade I got mine up for sale and also the stock Dt swiss OEM 1700 29r wheels

    Willing to part out frame if needed FYI its a new upgraded 2018 Frame new in July.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2269331/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2275512/
    Oh how I wish you were selling 27.5 wheels.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  6. #2606
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,575
    I have the 429T and the SB. I primarily ride in Sedona and Flagstaff. I usually ride the SB because of the chunk and some long downs. Iím a super boost fan. The SB is stiff as heck and the XO hub is solid and quieter than I9. I have a DC 2.5 DHF EXO/Aggressor combo on the SB and a Hans Addix speed grip/2.4 Ardent EXO combo on my 429T. The 429T is a great bike that is further transformed with heavier more aggressive tires but itís not as confident in the rough as the SB. The 429T obviously climbs better but the SB is no slouch. The SB is a burly bike that can be ridden XC so I travel with it. Unless you ride chunk and downs on a regular basis the SB is over kill IMO.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  7. #2607
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GeoDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by majorjake View Post
    Oh how I wish you were selling 27.5 wheels.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    There are a pair of 27.5 plus for SB on eBay right now.

  8. #2608
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I have the 429T and the SB. I primarily ride in Sedona and Flagstaff. I usually ride the SB because of the chunk and some long downs. Iím a super boost fan. The SB is stiff as heck and the XO hub is solid and quieter than I9. I have a DC 2.5 DHF EXO/Aggressor combo on the SB and a Hans Addix speed grip/2.4 Ardent EXO combo on my 429T. The 429T is a great bike that is further transformed with heavier more aggressive tires but itís not as confident in the rough as the SB. The 429T obviously climbs better but the SB is no slouch. The SB is a burly bike that can be ridden XC so I travel with it. Unless you ride chunk and downs on a regular basis the SB is over kill IMO.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I agree the SB is a ďburly bike that can be ridden XCĒ. A lot of that has to do with the 29er wheels. When was the last time you saw a new 27.5 XC bike come out? So sure the 5.5 or any other 27.5 Pivot may be more flickable. But the SB is pretty darn good on that front with the short chain stays. Now Everything changes if you have more than one bike but I donít.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  9. #2609
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GeoDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDon View Post
    There are a pair of 27.5 plus for SB on eBay right now.
    Never mind, no longer on there.

    They were Reynolds rims with red lettering.

  10. #2610
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDon View Post
    Never mind, no longer on there.

    They were Reynolds rims with red lettering.
    Might of been mine. Great condition. Went for $750.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  11. #2611
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Might of been mine. Great condition. Went for $750.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I was watching those! Someone did well, I hope that you were happy with your end of the deal.

    I'm in the alloy price range, in case anyone is selling.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  12. #2612
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GeoDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Might of been mine. Great condition. Went for $750.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    At the same time you posted those rims on Ebay a shop was selling here on MTBR a slightly used SB 29r and I was too busy to make a decision or pull the trigger.

    Still have yet to demo ride as I am thinking 429T to Mach 6 or something inbetween.

  13. #2613
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    56
    Switchblade is where it's at! I have had mine for 3 weeks now and I'm loving it! So much versatility it can do many different types of riding with different ways to set it up. It's such a stout bike that inspires confidence. Mine is setup with the carbon reynolds I9 27.5+ wheels and my cornering speed is something I never imagined, seriously a blast! I have been looking for a 29er wheel set, so far thinking WeAre1 composites 30mm Id wheels with onyx hubs. I am still tinkering with the suspension setup trying to fine tune. I'm pretty happy with the rear but have to spend a little more time with the 36 up front.

    I originally was sold on going with the 429 trail after doing 2 seperate demo rides. Then I found a switchblade to demo which made my decision much harder. 429 T is a great bike no doubt about it! I'm sure it would have handled my local Ohio trails just fine. Being almost 200lbs I really think the Switchblade is ideal for bigger guys who can apply more force to the bike. This is where it truly shows its strength. I plan to travel with this bike and think it provides more room to grow as a rider. I love the super boost and will be watching to see if it ever takes off, but this is clearly a touchy subject for most. In the end I came across a great slightly used Switchblade and couldn't be happier with it!

  14. #2614
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by majorjake View Post
    I was watching those! Someone did well, I hope that you were happy with your end of the deal.

    I'm in the alloy price range, in case anyone is selling.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I was hoping for more. Expensive experiment on my part.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  15. #2615
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I was hoping for more. Expensive experiment on my part.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Had a chance to demo the 29er Switchblade on Sunday, top end build Race Face Carbon crank, Shimano XTR drive train and Reynolds wheels with i9 hubs, XTR trail brakes. Front tire was Minion dhf and rear Agressor 2.30. Bike was still portly at 31.26 lbs with pedals. The Shimano xt 46 tooth cassette added to rear weight.

    I always use the Sram 1195 x01 11 speed cassette much lighter and last 2 seasons with XTR shifter and derailure with XX1 chain. The best shifting you can get!!

    Switchblade has taken 2 months to find demo and they said it has a large but it was a medium. I removed the stem and put on a 75mm I was cramped in the cockpit but felt better with the longer stem. Bar needs to be wider. Bike did all well, except 2017 Fox 36 fork not working the best. Very harsh on square edge hits. Head tube angle is way to steep "imo" A nice stiff frame like this should have a nice like 66.5 angle would allow bike to be more stable on the downs. Bike had no spacer on bottom of frame but still had trouble with front end coming up on steep climbs. The bike did feels nimble and manual well.

    The bike I bought while waiting for the demo was Spot Mayham 29er, this bike does it all.

  16. #2616
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    161
    I agree that the stock HA is too steep for this bike if you ride on proper trails. I fixed this by installing a Works Components AngleSet (-1.5). Makes a big difference when you hit technical sections at speed. Still climbs very well!

  17. #2617
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarinCRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    852
    If I sell the 429T, I'll probably go for the new 2018 Specialzied Enduro Elite as I got pretty great deal on Spec locally and the bike is very well regarded with more balanced geometry IMO.
    It's just that my 429T is so good on everything I ride here and I'm really happy with it and I'm not sure if getting a "bigger" bike would be a downgrade in a sense...

  18. #2618
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    If I sell the 429T, I'll probably go for the new 2018 Specialzied Enduro Elite as I got pretty great deal on Spec locally and the bike is very well regarded with more balanced geometry IMO.
    It's just that my 429T is so good on everything I ride here and I'm really happy with it and I'm not sure if getting a "bigger" bike would be a downgrade in a sense...
    Itís certainly not going to be anywhere near as snappy in pedaling or as easy to maneuver in tighter spaces and lower speeds. It will be a fun bike, but quit different, and not just in travel or geo. Suspension action/quality will be a lot different. Whether thatís good or bad will depend on the user.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #2619
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Had a chance to demo the 29er Switchblade on Sunday, top end build Race Face Carbon crank, Shimano XTR drive train and Reynolds wheels with i9 hubs, XTR trail brakes. Front tire was Minion dhf and rear Agressor 2.30. Bike was still portly at 31.26 lbs with pedals. The Shimano xt 46 tooth cassette added to rear weight.

    I always use the Sram 1195 x01 11 speed cassette much lighter and last 2 seasons with XTR shifter and derailure with XX1 chain. The best shifting you can get!!

    Switchblade has taken 2 months to find demo and they said it has a large but it was a medium. I removed the stem and put on a 75mm I was cramped in the cockpit but felt better with the longer stem. Bar needs to be wider. Bike did all well, except 2017 Fox 36 fork not working the best. Very harsh on square edge hits. Head tube angle is way to steep "imo" A nice stiff frame like this should have a nice like 66.5 angle would allow bike to be more stable on the downs. Bike had no spacer on bottom of frame but still had trouble with front end coming up on steep climbs. The bike did feels nimble and manual well.

    The bike I bought while waiting for the demo was Spot Mayham 29er, this bike does it all.
    I would think the Rollik would be a better comparison. The Ardent/Ikon speced tires on the Rollik and the Quests on the Mayhem would not be the tires of choice by most locals at Sedona and other places riding bikes with 130+ rear travel. If I sill living in Indiana, I would run the Ardent/Ikon combo at Brown Co on my 429T and swap out to heavier tires in Appalachia or in the mountain west.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  20. #2620
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4
    Rear Shock - DPS and X2
    ______________________________
    Hi perhaps somebody can help.

    I have a switchblade in size L.
    My weight is 92kg - ready on the bike approx 100kg!?

    1 - I have original DPS shox without piggy bag. I have some issues regarding using full "rear travel" - I have long time not understood, that when I see 51mm "travel on the shock piston" used that I have used 100% of the available travel - because there was (I thought) some spare - but this is wrong! :-(. Because of the desing of shock - you see 57mm available on the piston. But shock is internal limited to 51mm.

    I had recommended sag but used 100% travel, this mean I need to decrease volume = increase volume spacer. So - Iīm always scared (to Keep it tight) with the equipment - therefore I have not opened it to check.
    So which volume spacer ist used in rear shock for frame size L? The biggest or .....?
    Have you similar issues - what done - bought the Fox kit and added the next bigger volume spacer or ......?


    2 - Other question - I decided to buy a new rear shox (test something new but keep the DPS!) - I got a good offer for a Fox Float X2 (2017) - which amount of volume spacer do you recommend? (100kg)?
    Pivot sells the X2 for the switchblade - do the shock they use have a special "custom tune" from Fox?
    Is there something printed on the air can of your X2 which you got with the frame? Can somebody check it?
    Is there a number for it?
    Who has similar weight and can give me your Settings - with "your riding style"? I saw there are recommended settings on Pivot homepage - has you checked them?

    Thanks for your support.

    Yes - I already asked Pivot, a few days ago, but did not got respond until now.
    Not really an issue - normally Pivot has a good Service!

    Best regards, Dorsdn

  21. #2621
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,575


    This is the tune from an after market X2. Pivot recommends a medium tune if Iím correct. I added an additional smallest spacer to all my shocks.

    1. Float DPS - I could not get it quite right. Good efficiency but mediocre small bump compliance. If I removed a spacer or pressure it would wallow at higher speeds. It would feel warm on short downs.
    2. X2 - Much better but at the expense of pedaling efficiency. The bike didnít feel crisp but it wasnít bad.
    3. DPS X2 - The best of both worlds. Not as bottomless on the downs as a X2 but more spritely on the flats and ups. On full open it swallows bumps on fast chunky downs but feels a little squishy on the flats.

    I was 50lbs heavier when I ran the Float. I weigh 208 now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  22. #2622
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    56
    When you say it feels squishy on the flats are you meaning you can feel more pedal input? Bottom line the dps x2 is worth the upgrade?

  23. #2623
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    160
    Anyone selling the stock 27.5+ non-carbon wheelset? Not sure yet, but thinking about buying a set for wet weather riding.

  24. #2624
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    56
    Ordered up a 29er wheel set and I'm super stoked about it! Went with the Weare1 Agents i30 carbon hoops and onyx hubs! I'm diggin the 27.5+ setup for this time of year with soggy conditions and leaf covered trails but miss the rolling speed of the 29er so figured these would do the trick. Just gotta decide on tires, leaning toward the wtb trail bosses for loose over hard/hard pack but the 2.8 rekons are working awesome in plus mode so maybe the 2.6 would be a good option if they ever come out.

  25. #2625
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by builtupbowtie View Post
    Ordered up a 29er wheel set and I'm super stoked about it! Went with the Weare1 Agents i30 carbon hoops and onyx hubs!
    About to build up the same, but 27.5er in my case. Equally stoked!

  26. #2626
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,575

    Pivot Switchblade

    Quote Originally Posted by builtupbowtie View Post
    When you say it feels squishy on the flats are you meaning you can feel more pedal input? Bottom line the dps x2 is worth the upgrade?
    I wouldnít say it bobs much but doesnít counteract body position shifts, poor spin technique and undulating terrain as much but thatís a guess on my part. I do feel the DPS X2 is a worthy upgrade as well as the X2. I think the SB should come with the DPS X2 as the stock shock.

    Quote Originally Posted by Levelheadsteve View Post
    Anyone selling the stock 27.5+ non-carbon wheelset? Not sure yet, but thinking about buying a set for wet weather riding.
    FWIW - the 3C/DC 2.4 DHR2 combo is a great wet combo.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  27. #2627
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I wouldnít say it bobs much but doesnít counteract body position shifts, poor spin technique and undulating terrain as much but thatís a guess on my part.....
    My English is not good enough for your statement.
    :-(

    But - thanks for your pervious response.
    But still missing some recommendations - how much volume spacer have you had in the X2?
    During "X2-use" you really had 258lbs = 117kg !?

  28. #2628
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,575
    Yes, I weighed 117kgs. Now Iím a little bird. Iím sorry- I know I had my shop add a additional spacer to the spacer or spacers it came with but I canít give you an exact total number.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  29. #2629
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    152
    The bike is pretty linear. You need to run the suspension so that it ramps to get some progression, otherwise its easy to bottom out and blow through travel while pumping down the trail, let alone jumping or charging rocks.

    Fox 36 w/ RC2 @ 160. 2 orange and 1 blue
    X2 with proper tune. Max spacers (4 IIRC)

    180lbs for reference. Works well for me on the east coast, along with riding out west in Aspen.

  30. #2630
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    27
    Not Switchblade related...

    Some more SuperBoost love: SUPERBOOST ‚Äď 44 Bikes

  31. #2631
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarinCRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    852
    So, I sold my Trail and after taking a hard look realized that my best choice would be the Blade

    I'm getting eagle variant, what is the max chainring size I can fit on it? I used 30 oval on Trail, but with X01, so I was planning on upsizing due to 50T in the back.
    Additionaly, would there be any issues running X2 shock instead of DPS? I was planning on running 36 on 160mm setting and X2 at around 20-25% sag. The idea is to get slightly slacker front end at about 66.5 degrees and keep the rear from getting too slack and at the same time raising BB so to avoid rock strikes as I live in rocky area.
    How does that sound?

  32. #2632
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    14
    I run a round 34t Superboost from OneUp-Components. https://www.oneupcomponents.com/coll...nt=31481756929

    Oval 32t should also fit.

    This thread has some posts on rear suspension working best with a 30t ring.

    With my XT 11-46 I find anything smaller than 34t ridiculous.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Similar Threads

  1. Too fat for Switchblade???
    By MR. ED in forum Titus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
  2. Tange Switchblade?
    By jacobslide in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
  3. Switchblade pivot replacement question
    By Jaybo in forum Titus
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 02:21 AM
  4. new Switchblade in action...
    By tommyrod74 in forum Titus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 05:02 AM

Members who have read this thread: 613

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •